Now that you have an IPod....

DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Do you find it harder to concentrate on just one band or CD? I do. Remember back in the day when you would just go out and buy a CD and listen to it until it fell apart? For me that doesn't happen anymore. I used to listen to every CD I bought about 20 times a day and new ALL the lyrics to every CD. I barely know any lyrics now (aside from Pearl Jam). It's kind of a bummer.

To me this is getting kind of annoying.

Should I throw my IPod into Boston Harbor?
"I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Danimal wrote:
    Do you find it harder to concentrate on just one band or CD? I do. Remember back in the day when you would just go out and buy a CD and listen to it until it fell apart? For me that doesn't happen anymore. I used to listen to every CD I bought about 20 times a day and new ALL the lyrics to every CD. I barely know any lyrics now (aside from Pearl Jam). It's kind of a bummer.

I know what you mean. no need to throw it in the harbor though.

It is so tempting to jump around and listen to any band you want to which is very cool and a great benifit of the ipod. At the same time though i have to remind myself to just let the album play sometimes so i give it a good chance to grow on me.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I'm with ya' I skip all around now....like I have A.D.D . or something
    Most people with low self-esteem have earned it.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Nope. I still generally listen to full albums. I never really got big on playlists. And usually when I start an album I just like to hear it through. So the iPod has been great for me cause I can take around lots of albums at once!
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I still listen to albums most of the time on my iPod/iTunes, though I'll occasionally hit shuffle when I'm listening on the computer.

What I have noticed is that I don't listen to a new CD 20 times in a row, ignoring the rest of my collection. I actually make a point of listening to albums I previously would have left to gather dust. I have a "0 Play" playlist, showing which songs I haven't listened to since I last reset my play counts. I try to listen to at least a few of the items on that list each week. I may come back to the new stuff a few times a week, but I won't wear an album out.

But then I'm kind of obsessed with statistics. I won't get started with my Last FM obsession . . .
  • JasonTeckJasonTeck Posts: 179
    For the most part I still like to buy the whole album, be it physical or off of i-tunes. I always like the fact that I find new music that usual gets overlooked because the songs are not "on the radio" or in the top 20.

I have been loading my i-pod with a lot of whole albums and I listen to them quite a bit. Of course PJ gets the most play, it takes quite a while to go through the amount that I have.

I look at it like this as well...the artists put together this album of songs for a reason. All together the songs might tell a story, so that is another reason I like to have the whole album.
    1992 - Lollapalooza - St. Louis
    1994 - St. Louis
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - St. Louis
    2007 - Lollapalooza - Chicago
    2008 - Eddie Vedder Solo - Chicago
    2010 - St. Louis
    2011 - Eddie Vedder Solo - St. Louis
    2014 - St. Louis
    2016 - New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
    2018 - Wrigley Field - Chicago
    2022 - St. Louis & Oklahoma City
    2023 - Chicago N1 & N2
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    I still buy CDs and listen to the entire record as I always did
    I do not download music very often, prefer to have the actual CD

I have not listened to the radio in years though
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    Mine died, so if you throw it into the harbor I hope it floats down to me.

For me, the car is the place where I listen to whole albums. I like it that way. Or on the home stereo. I love both, the shuffling and the focusing.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I don't have a playlist either!

The thing with me is that I will be listening to a song that will remind me of another song/band and I will switch to that one.

I agree! I have Music ADD. (I'm a poet and I didn't even realize it. Wait! That didn't rythme.)
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    It's not the iPod's fault....it's that damn six disc changer in the car's fault!!!
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    intodeep wrote:
    I know what you mean. no need to throw it in the harbor though.

It is so tempting to jump around and listen to any band you want to which is very cool and a great benifit of the ipod. At the same time though i have to remind myself to just let the album play sometimes so i give it a good chance to grow on me.

mine is almost always on shuffle, but i don't skip around much.

also, as a measure i ONLY put new cd's on my ipod. i buy enough that i'm constantly loading new ones and deleting ones that have been on for a few months. thus, right now i have no pearl jam on mine. this way even when i am skipping and shuffling, im hearing new stuff.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000

also, as a measure i ONLY put new cd's on my ipod. i buy enough that i'm constantly loading new ones and deleting ones that have been on for a few months. thus, right now i have no pearl jam on mine. this way even when i am skipping and shuffling, im hearing new stuff.

Hmmmm that's pretty smart.

Danimal wrote:
    Hmmmm that's pretty smart.

it's kinda fun really. i wear out old things. i recently had to get the modest mouse album off becos i've listened to it so many times i was wearing it out. i went on a huge rap kick lately, so now im listening to a lot of that and the guns'n'roses albums i never heard, along with a smattering of legends i for some reason never got into (rush, faith no more, van morrison). so it ends up with a nice blend of new and semi-familiar.

i also have a playlist exclusively of bands im going to see live soon... but only one album each. that way i get excited when one pops up, but don't overdo it. helps me stay pumped for the show.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    Danimal wrote:

i feel exactly the same, i used to know an album inside & out, now i can barely remember a song title :o

having said that, i love having all my music at my fingers whenever i want it :)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones

i created a 'recently added' playlist for that same reason. i'm definitely a shuffle man
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i have a 30GB iPod and i'm always on shuffle. i loaded most of my album collection on the thing and it's a very good way to hear songs you forgot about or never gave too much of a chance.

although lately i've only been listening to Down III and Springsteen's Magic.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    i have a 30GB iPod and i'm always on shuffle. i loaded most of my album collection on the thing and it's a very good way to hear songs you forgot about or never gave too much of a chance.

although lately i've only been listening to Down III and Springsteen's Magic.

I don't have an ipod but my wife has one. It has a lot of my music on it, but none of the heavy stuff (Tool, Pantera, etc.) We don't have the internet at home so I have her library on my computer at work. I will listen to it through the computer and I always listen to it on shuffle and wish it was all of my music.

I have sirius in my car and right now I am mostly listening to Springsteen on the all Springsteen station and Magic.

Hopefully I won't get burned out for the show on Oct. 26.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    This is why I still don't have an iPod. I like to really LISTEN to whatever kind of music I'm listening to at the moment. Besides, the last time I looked, CDs were still pretty portable. :)
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Yeah, so true...I find it so tempting to skip tracks if something doesn't appeal to me right away. There was something to be said for buying a CD, and really having to listen to it before you moved on. I think my next mp3 player will be a smaller capacity, so I only load newer stuff onto it, forcing me to give it more of a listen.
  • Well.. I was being constant with what I was listening to... always had Incubus on 60 songs a week, Eels, Linkin Park (yeah, laugh), Sigur Rós... but now they've all dwindled down on the play because I want to listen to everything on my iPod... since I had just downloaded a shitload of songs in one day... so, about 8,000 songs left to listen to? It's going to be a diverse next couple of months.
    If I could, think I would give in.
    This is why I still don't have an iPod. I like to really LISTEN to whatever kind of music I'm listening to at the moment. Besides, the last time I looked, CDs were still pretty portable. :)
    one yes. 3000 no.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I still only listen to straight albums...pj is the only one i put on shuffle.
    I guess I'm just used to it that way.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • I mostly use the shuffle mode on my iPod. I have XM in my car and find I keep changing the channel to find something to listen to. So the shuffle feature is like the perfect radio station, always playing music I like.

I definitely feel like I don't listen to albums as much as I used to but, even before I had an iPod, I would switch out CDs in my car. Probably not the safest thing to do, constantly changing CDs while driving. I would have piles of CDs in my front seat and covering the back seat. The iPod just makes my car a little cleaner.

Whenever I get a new CD, I usually will load it on the iPod but then take the CD out to the car and give it a few listens straight through. If it's something that keeps me wanting to return to it, then I will keep listening to the album as a whole. I do like to make playlists. On my last iPod I had playlists for all of my favorite bands. But that one died and now I have my husband's iPod, so I don't have that many playlists simply because I haven't bothered to recreate them.
    geishagrrl wrote:
    I mostly use the shuffle mode on my iPod. I have XM in my car and find I keep changing the channel to find something to listen to. So the shuffle feature is like the perfect radio station, always playing music I like.
    yeah that's exactly how i think about it too, my own radio station :D radiojim, all kickass, all the time :p
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    still dont have one
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • I have a 30g ipod and when I got it I said I was only gonna put on whole albums or EP's on it. Well now that I've reached capacity on that thing a month ago, I've had a hard time deciding what to take off. I first deleted all stupid intro fillers and skits that are on many hip-hop albums. That gave me a little bit of room to play with. Now I'm about to get read of some PJ bootlegs, because really they're not much different ( Sorry Uber-fans)
    NERDS!
  • MarblesMarbles Posts: 49
    I load whole albums, and listen to them in order most of the time. I HAD to haul out my Ipod for work today. SERIOUSLY! We installed a new stereo in the men's locker room of a college hockey rink, and they had aux inputs on the front, and the coach wanted to test it with an iPod, as they often play tunes that way. I was more than glad to oblige! I was playing over an Uber expensive stereo, blasting through all 8 speakers in the locker room, the showers, the hall ways!!! Woo Hoo! Since I needed my iPod for work, is it now a piece of test equipment that I depreciate like my tools?
    I have a 30g ipod and when I got it I said I was only gonna put on whole albums or EP's on it. Well now that I've reached capacity on that thing a month ago, I've had a hard time deciding what to take off. I first deleted all stupid intro fillers and skits that are on many hip-hop albums. That gave me a little bit of room to play with. Now I'm about to get read of some PJ bootlegs, because really they're not much different ( Sorry Uber-fans)

yeah, i keep going back and forth on the skits and intros... some albums they seem to work for, and others i just think they're stupid.

as to bootlegs. no argument here. i don't know how the hell people can listen to so many of those. i only have the shows i've been to and the gorge box.
  • yeah, i keep going back and forth on the skits and intros... some albums they seem to work for, and others i just think they're stupid.

as to bootlegs. no argument here. i don't know how the hell people can listen to so many of those. i only have the shows i've been to and the gorge box.

Exactly only my shows and the Gorge box set, I think I may have mansfield 3 on there as well. The only skits I think I've saved are the ones from the "Chronic" and maybe a couple of funny Ghostface Killah ones. De la Soul has good ones as well.
    NERDS!
    Exactly only my shows and the Gorge box set, I think I may have mansfield 3 on there as well. The only skits I think I've saved are the ones from the "Chronic" and maybe a couple of funny Ghostface Killah ones. De la Soul has good ones as well.

was ghostface in wu tang? i'm still learning ;) haven't dived into de la soul either yet. i'm thinking of just rounding up anthologies for starters... ive got public enemy, might grab de la soul and tribe called quest.
  • was ghostface in wu tang? i'm still learning ;) haven't dived into de la soul either yet. i'm thinking of just rounding up anthologies for starters... ive got public enemy, might grab de la soul and tribe called quest.

Yep Ghost is part of the Wu-Tang. :) He's the only one releasing excellent Solo albums (even pitchfork is on his dick ;) )

AOI: Mosaic thump is the De la with funny skits. But I'd recommend starting off with "Stakes is High" as far as their records go.

As for ATCQ start with either Low End Theory or Midnight Marauders
    NERDS!