My Morning Jacket - Manchester Academy (June 27th, 2008)

||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Is anyone else planning on going to this one? I just bought tickets, they went on sale two minutes ago :)

I've seen them open for PJ but never seen a proper MMJ show so i'm super excited!
"This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    Are they worth seeing? What stuff of theirs would you reccommend?
    What the fuck is this world?
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    Murderers wrote:
    Are they worth seeing? What stuff of theirs would you reccommend?

I only really got into them when i saw them open for Pearl Jam back in 2006. They really blew me away.

My personal favourite is 'Z', the most recent album. Check out songs such as 'Gideon', 'What A Wonderful Man', 'Off The Record', 'Lay Low' which are all on that album.

The other albums are Tennessee Fire, At Dawn, and It Still Moves. You can't go wrong with any of them really. And they have a live DVD out called 'Okonokos' which is seriously good viewing.

Their new album, 'Evil Urges' comes out in June and some of the new material sounds brilliant.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Woo! :D

Me and Sian-of-the-dead will also be in attendance.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
    I only really got into them when i saw them open for Pearl Jam back in 2006. They really blew me away.

My personal favourite is 'Z', the most recent album. Check out songs such as 'Gideon', 'What A Wonderful Man', 'Off The Record', 'Lay Low' which are all on that album.

The other albums are Tennessee Fire, At Dawn, and It Still Moves. You can't go wrong with any of them really. And they have a live DVD out called 'Okonokos' which is seriously good viewing.

Their new album, 'Evil Urges' comes out in June and some of the new material sounds brilliant.
    Thanks! I'll check them out.
    Murderers wrote:
    Thanks! I'll check them out.

Hope you like what you hear!

Well done dave, it's super exciting to finally see a proper show!

• little_wishlittle_wish Posts: 532
    I'll be there! Might even wear my new funky hat!
    Can't freakin wait for this.

One Big Holiday and Run Thru are AWESOME songs, defintely check those out too! Run Thru has a brilliant jam session towards the end, and when u see them live the drummer does this weird thing with his arms hahahhaha

Love it, see u guys in Manchester!!! x
    20-04-2006 04-09-2006 05-09-2006 11-09-2006 16-09-2006 17-09-2006 18-06-2007 21-06-2007 26-06-2007 28-06-2007 17-08-2009 20-05-2010 21-05-2010

"The live shows? Well, that's church on Sundays"
  • surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    I wont be going to a gig but if you are meeting up for drinks before hand I may come along for a few.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
    I wont be going to a gig but if you are meeting up for drinks before hand I may come along for a few.

sounds good to me. Inside|The|Well and I will be meeting audiodave and sian-of-the-dead before the show so we'll arrange a place to meet and we can all meet up. good idea!

• surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    sounds good to me. Inside|The|Well and I will be meeting audiodave and sian-of-the-dead before the show so we'll arrange a place to meet and we can all meet up. good idea!

Let me know the details when you have them sorted, and hopefully I will be able to make it there for a tipple.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
    Let me know the details when you have them sorted, and hopefully I will be able to make it there for a tipple.

will do. I'll sort it with audiodave nearer the time and post it here.

• and when u see them live the drummer does this weird thing with his arms hahahhaha

Love it, see u guys in Manchester!!! x
    That think he does with his arms perplexes me! Or maybe its just that I've always been stone cold drunk by that point on the dvd!

Can't wait to see them at Bonnaroo. Look around a little for their set from SXSW...played eight new songs which sound damn good to me. There's one called Aluminum Park that I think has a very Springsteen-ish quality to it. Then there's the crazy Highly Suspicious. Great shit. Great band!!
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    That think he does with his arms perplexes me! Or maybe its just that I've always been stone cold drunk by that point on the dvd!

Can't wait to see them at Bonnaroo. Look around a little for their set from SXSW...played eight new songs which sound damn good to me. There's one called Aluminum Park that I think has a very Springsteen-ish quality to it. Then there's the crazy Highly Suspicious. Great shit. Great band!!

Highly Suspicious is a total mind-f*ck, i love it!

• marino13 wrote:

Great article. thanks for posting. I read it and did a little searching....ended up at this blog....scroll down a bit and find the show from 12/31/06...I'm listening now....great sound quality. And they cover Wham's Careless Whisper for christ's sake! Not to mention Kool's Celebration, Lionel Ritchie's All Night Long and Highway to Hell!

http://phishcoventry.blogspot.com/search?q=my++morning+jacket

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    Great article. thanks for posting. I read it and did a little searching....ended up at this blog....scroll down a bit and find the show from 12/31/06...I'm listening now....great sound quality. And they cover Wham's Careless Whisper for christ's sake! Highway to Hell too.

http://phishcoventry.blogspot.com/search?q=my++morning+jacket

awesome, thanks.

• awesome, thanks.
    No problem, just sharing the music and thanks to whoever put it on that blog. I wish I could find their Bonnaroo set as well.

Holy crap, listen to Careless Whisper all the way through: "Ba-ba-bananas-nanas!" Hilarious

• marino13marino13 Posts: 31
    No problem, just sharing the music and thanks to whoever put it on that blog. I wish I could find their Bonnaroo set as well.

Holy crap, listen to Careless Whisper all the way through: "Ba-ba-bananas-nanas!" Hilarious

I play the Kool and the Gang song from that show all the time for my 4 year old. She loves it.

Here is Bonnaroo:

http://www.archive.org/details/MMJ2006-06-16..4011s

Some great covers in that show too. Who, VU, Stones, etc. Also Andrew Bird on violin for a couple of songs.
  • marino13 wrote:
    I play the Kool and the Gang song from that show all the time for my 4 year old. She loves it.

Here is Bonnaroo:

http://www.archive.org/details/MMJ2006-06-16..4011s

Some great covers in that show too. Who, VU, Stones, etc. Also Andrew Bird on violin for a couple of songs.
    Thanks a bunch! Have a great weekend. It's Miller Time in C-town

• marino13marino13 Posts: 31
    Thanks a bunch! Have a great weekend. It's Miller Time in C-town

Indeed, it is Beer:30 here as well. Enjoy.
  • I've only got into them recently thanks to Audiodave but i'm quite excited about seeing 'Wordless Chorus' and 'What a Wonderful Man' live :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    Im half-wondering whether to go...might be good for old times sake. Maybe it'll be better on their own than opening for PJ.
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    wash_ wrote:
    Im half-wondering whether to go...might be good for old times sake. Maybe it'll be better on their own than opening for PJ.
    I thought you hated them?!
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • ChrisChris Posts: 116
    I'll be going. Just buying my ticket now. Gonna get Murder By Death tickets at Night and Day too. Love it in there.
  • wash_ wrote:

I agree with Dave, I swear you said you didn't like them? :confused:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• I have ticket for the London Forum gig. Is anybody going to that?

I considered Rescue Rooms date (Notts) but couldn't persuade any of my mates to come. Which is a shame.
    ***Astoria, UK - 2006***
    ***Reading, UK - 2006***
    ***Wembley, UK - 2007***
    ***Nijmegen, Holland - 2007***

http://www.myspace.com/theeasymorningrebel
    I agree with Dave, I swear you said you didn't like them? :confused:

What I actually meant was that watching them open for PJ was absolute torture. Their set dragged like a mofo. But, they had 3-4 awesome songs which blew me away. It was amazing, the sound from the band just filled every corner of the room. But apart from those 3-4 songs, I hated it.

Anyway, had a look at london gigs, and its midweek which is a no-go really. Getting too old for gigging midweek and work next morning!

:)
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

Think I'm getting tickets for Sheffield. They wont sell out anytime soon will they?
  • wash_ wrote:
    What I actually meant was that watching them open for PJ was absolute torture. Their set dragged like a mofo. But, they had 3-4 awesome songs which blew me away. It was amazing, the sound from the band just filled every corner of the room. But apart from those 3-4 songs, I hated it.

Anyway, had a look at london gigs, and its midweek which is a no-go really. Getting too old for gigging midweek and work next morning!

:)

ah I see... backtracking now are we?! ;)

and yes, you're soooooo old for midweek gigs :rolleyes:

:p

• Murderers wrote:
    Think I'm getting tickets for Sheffield. They wont sell out anytime soon will they?

shouldn't think so but you should probably get your ticket asap :)

and yes, you're soooooo old for midweek gigs :rolleyes: :p

I know, tell me about it!!!! :p:D
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park