Oink is shut down

Comments

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    McParadigm wrote:
    Well, since only the top 2% of recording artists make any money off of album sales, one assumes the crime is depriving the labels of funds. So the more bands stop trying to peddle their wares in an outdated system they don't actually need, the less this will be an issue.

the top 2 percent and anyone else who are making large sums of money for the label are supplying the funds for the 'unknown' artist to get signed to a label who probably wont recoup on there initial album sales. So instead of signing an interesting/original artist, the record companies sign cookie cutter artists that sound just like the top two percent artists because the labels know that they'll sell albums no problem.

So all those 14 year old brittney spears fans who are actually buying the album are helping indie artists get on major labels more than the 18 year old male who downloads the album to 'fight the system' and 'support the artist'.

Yeah buying tickets to shows and t-shirt sales will go to the band directly, but without funding the record label, don't expect anything interesting to be released on major labels or on the big radio stations.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    yeah this totally ruined my day
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
    like badly, I had the sweetes ratio in town, sad...:( sad enough to use an emoticon
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

• sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    You know what I am going to miss? DVD rips. People on OiNK did a killer job with those and that is kind of a pain in the ass to do.

goddamnit
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • McParadigm wrote:
    Well, since only the top 2% of recording artists make any money off of album sales, one assumes the crime is depriving the labels of funds. So the more bands stop trying to peddle their wares in an outdated system they don't actually need, the less this will be an issue.

2%?????????? Completely unfounded pulled out of the ass statistics are the sign of an uneducated response to an illegal activity.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
    You know what I am going to miss? DVD rips. People on OiNK did a killer job with those and that is kind of a pain in the ass to do.

goddamnit

agreed and I just got a new connection I was downloading at like 700 kb/s which is a good 4 times faster than before
    Chris Cornell

Very strange how copyright infringement is a priority for Interpol whereas market-rigging and price fixing by major record companies isn't worthy of punishment.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    Very strange how copyright infringement is a priority for Interpol whereas market-rigging and price fixing by major record companies isn't worthy of punishment.

that would be a really valid argument....except its not true, because they are going after that.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article737029.ece
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326

goddamnit
    Oh man, I hadn't even thought of that! I don't know how to do that at all either. :(
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I'm gonna miss their "how to" posts too, they were very good and very detailed. Like a dumbass, I don't think I saved any of them.

Damnit, I keep thinking of more reasons to be upset about this.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
    my question is "where now?" cause I don't know shit

ok so anyone with a libble invite?
    Chris Cornell

i got on libble.... its a miniscule fraction of the greatness that was oink...but hey gotta start somewhere.

if you join their irc channel they are being nice about giving out invites.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Well dammit people, it looks like - you ready for this? - you'll have to actually BUY stuff you want to listen to or watch. It's a hard thing to grasp, I know.

You can argue about the evils of record companies all you want - and I'd probably agree with you - but at the end of the day, a large sharing site such as Oink was always going to be shut down one day or another. There'll probably be another similar site up and running in a few days anyway...
  • xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    What's all this talk about having to go out and BUY music I wanna listen to????? They sell that stuff now?
  • keyserkeyser Posts: 67
    very sad day.....if only i knew before i could download all the ratio i had a hard time keeping up.

I'll miss the most the "top tens" and the (*sniff*) "christmas season"

Anyone kind enough too give a libble invite?
    If nothing is everything, I will have it all
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    There is a OiNK memorial message board.
    http://www.ohax.com/phpBB2/index.php

And OiNK memorial t-shirts.
    http://www.cafepress.com/neverforgetoink

I found out at work yesterday (about our loss), and I was depressed all day long.

It wasn't about free music. It was about learning about bands you wouldn't have heard of anywhere else. And being able to listen to an album (in good quality) before you chose to buy it. It was a great community, and it makes me so sad to know that it is gone.
    Cock Fight.
  • lukin321lukin321 Posts: 864
    Long time oink user having trouble rounding up a libble invite...any kind souls? I can trade you for something :)
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
  • bonebone Posts: 498
    Looking for a libble as well. Unfortunately, all I have to offer is a pedro invite.
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
    Apparently the Libble community all over the web is getting slammed right now with people looking for invites... Apparently they are doing "interviews" in the IRC channel. I will take an invite if I can get one, but this is just too much.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    im trying to get on libble, but they just are being childish bitches :(
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    they were being nice yesterday when it was quiet...i even joked "if this site hits the oink memorial site.. have fun with that"..... i can't believe that it actually did

http://oinkmemorial.blogspot.com/
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    I think the best thing would be for things to splinter a bit, sure more trackers, more logins is a pain in the ass, but if things don't get huge then they don't attract attention.

I loved OiNK, it was singlehandedly responsible for me getting into an enormous amount of music (and consequently spending a lot of money on that music through shows and merch). But it sure would be nice to have a community of that quality without the gestapo tactics of the site admins.

On the flip side, I wonder if the site moderators being so strict and nazi like helped keep that site up as long as it was. You know, they kept the the riff raff out.
    yeah people that were never on oink are quick to call us thieves... i drop so much money at shows and go to pretty much everything that comes here. bands make more off that then sales of a record i would have never heard of had it not somehow made top 10 on oink
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • that would be a really valid argument....except its not true, because they are going after that.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article737029.ece

Sony Music again?

Nothing new with them...
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
    bharQ wrote:
    yeah people that were never on oink are quick to call us thieves... i drop so much money at shows and go to pretty much everything that comes here. bands make more off that then sales of a record i would have never heard of had it not somehow made top 10 on oink

Yes but in order for bands to put out records to the masses of fans across the globe, they need album sales.

They won't be able to do that until another catalyst is found outside of a record lable.

The only unknown band to have true 'label' style success without signing to a label was Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, but once they were 'discovered' they still had to sign a distribution deal by two labels to get their record out to europe and the US.

Other bands who are avoiding the labels have done so through the success of tenure and establishing a dedicated fan base...through record labels. Those are your Radioheads, NIN, and Pearl Jam
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    Apparently the Libble community all over the web is getting slammed right now with people looking for invites... Apparently they are doing "interviews" in the IRC channel. I will take an invite if I can get one, but this is just too much.

Just go to their IRC channel and they'll give one. I got one yesterday and they just asked me why I deserved to be invited. But the site itself is very fustrating, only 5,000 users, nowhere near what Oink used to be.
    bone wrote:
    Looking for a libble as well. Unfortunately, all I have to offer is a pedro invite.

Can I have your pedro invite? All I have to offer is a demonoid invite. I had torrentleech invites, but they closed the site yesterday, probably because of what happened to oink
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    Yes but in order for bands to put out records to the masses of fans across the globe, they need album sales.

They won't be able to do that until another catalyst is found outside of a record lable.

The only unknown band to have true 'label' style success without signing to a label was Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, but once they were 'discovered' they still had to sign a distribution deal by two labels to get their record out to europe and the US.

Other bands who are avoiding the labels have done so through the success of tenure and establishing a dedicated fan base...through record labels. Those are your Radioheads, NIN, and Pearl Jam

I don't know why you felt you needed to put in the last paragraph.
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    I don't know why you felt you needed to put in the last paragraph.

to further explain that no modern day musician has ever been successful without the need of a record label
    to further explain that no modern day musician has ever been successful without the need of a record label

Right, but what does that have to do with OiNK being shut down?

I think the explination was that without OiNK he would have not found these artist, and wouldn't have helped their tours, merch tables, record sales without it.

Every little bit counts. And define being successful...
    Cock Fight.