Oink is shut down

lowlight79lowlight79 Posts: 205
edited October 2007 in Other Music
No more Oink people. Interpol shut it down this morning.
"Only curfews can keep us down"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa????????????????????????
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Interpol the cross boundary police unit or Interpol the cross breeding guitar unit?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    Stupid asses at Oink
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • OiNK Busted
    October 23, 2007
    Thomas Mennecke
    In what is being touted as a victory against the "biggest source of illegal pre-release chart albums", the IFPI (International Federation of the Phonographic Industry) concluded a joint two year investigation that has lead to the dismantling of the popular BitTorrent site OiNK. British and Dutch police coordinated their efforts which led to the arrest of the site administrator in the UK, and the seizure of OiNK's servers in Amsterdam.

OiNK was a highly sought after target because of its alleged status as a pre-release gold mine. While pre-release material typically shows up on most BitTorrent sites given enough time, the IFPI charges that more than "60 major album releases have been leaked on OiNK so far this year, making it the primary source worldwide for illegal pre-release music."

The arrest of OiNK's administrator is a significant escalation in copyright enforcement. Typically, individuals in such positions are only taken into custody without an arrest, however today's events are a bit extraordinary. BitTorrent administration has become a risky game, with operators running out of countries to safely call home.
    "Only curfews can keep us down"
    lowlight79 wrote:
    OiNK Busted
    October 23, 2007
    Thomas Mennecke
    In what is being touted as a victory against the "biggest source of illegal pre-release chart albums", the IFPI (International Federation of the Phonographic Industry) concluded a joint two year investigation that has lead to the dismantling of the popular BitTorrent site OiNK. British and Dutch police coordinated their efforts which led to the arrest of the site administrator in the UK, and the seizure of OiNK's servers in Amsterdam.

OiNK was a highly sought after target because of its alleged status as a pre-release gold mine. While pre-release material typically shows up on most BitTorrent sites given enough time, the IFPI charges that more than "60 major album releases have been leaked on OiNK so far this year, making it the primary source worldwide for illegal pre-release music."

The arrest of OiNK's administrator is a significant escalation in copyright enforcement. Typically, individuals in such positions are only taken into custody without an arrest, however today's events are a bit extraordinary. BitTorrent administration has become a risky game, with operators running out of countries to safely call home.

sad day!
  • whygowhygo Posts: 55
    Anyone need an invite?
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    whygo wrote:
    Anyone need an invite?

lol
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    Nooooooooooooo!
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Yeah, I just saw that as well. The guy was only 24.

I'd never heard of oink before then, though.
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Tough shit, I don't really care. Two reasons. First, they were a bunch of jagoff's who made you bust your ass to get an invite, just to use the place. Second...maybe..actually BUY an album for a change? I mean I sometimes dl entire albums, but very rarely, I mostly just download demos or live tracks that aren't licensed, or some tracks from the album just to get a taste of what the band is like. But other than that, I don't waste my time and hard drive space, I just get CD's. Oh the tought of spending like $5-10 on eBay or waiting like a week before the thing is officially released! But I am worried about the future of torrent sites. PiratesBay, Demonoid, TSpy...even a friend of mine got caught using mininova. Guess we'll have to be more careful when downloading shit from now on...lol.
    Duder5k wrote:
    Tough shit, I don't really care. Two reasons. First, they were a bunch of jagoff's who made you bust your ass to get an invite, just to use the place. Second...maybe..actually BUY an album for a change? I mean I sometimes dl entire albums, but very rarely, I mostly just download demos or live tracks that aren't licensed, or some tracks from the album just to get a taste of what the band is like. But other than that, I don't waste my time and hard drive space, I just get CD's. Oh the tought of spending like $5-10 on eBay or waiting like a week before the thing is officially released! But I am worried about the future of torrent sites. PiratesBay, Demonoid, TSpy...even a friend of mine got caught using mininova. Guess we'll have to be more careful when downloading shit from now on...lol.

wow, i only use mininova as a total last resort
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Yeah, I just saw that as well. The guy was only 24.

I'd never heard of oink before then, though.

Neither had i, sounds like he made a pig's ear of it though.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    I BrisK I wrote:
    wow, i only use mininova as a total last resort
    Yeah I used to go there a lot, but after my friend told me he got warned by his ISP I ditched that place.
  • sorry - wrong thread.
  • JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Well, I guess I better try selling my account on ebay before people catch on...

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • sorry - wrong thread.

:D I thought it was a joke I didn't get. :D
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    So are they going to go after users of the site?
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    mulva9 wrote:

there's a new message on the site now:
    This site has been closed as a result of a criminal investigation by IFPI, BPI,
    Cleveland Police and the Fiscal Investigation Unit of the Dutch Police (FIOD ECD) into
    suspected illegal music distribution.

A criminal investigation continues into the identities and activities of the site's users

wtf :eek:
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    there's a new message on the site now:

wtf :eek:

how do i delete my email and account LOL
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    mulva9 wrote:
    talk about going after your best customers! :rolleyes:
    people using this site were the people that actually BUY music!
    idiots.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Pegasus wrote:
    idiots.

I don't use oink. too hard to get and keep an account. I have friends who have it though and the copies of albums i received from them i went out and got the day they came out unless i did nto like them and at that point it is not like i'm still listening to them i delete them from my ipod etc.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Pegasus wrote:
    idiots.

Yeah, I mean all they did was upload it for thousands of people to aquire illegaly.

I don't know where I really stand on this, tbh.
  • Well, since only the top 2% of recording artists make any money off of album sales, one assumes the crime is depriving the labels of funds. So the more bands stop trying to peddle their wares in an outdated system they don't actually need, the less this will be an issue.
    McParadigm wrote:
    Well, since only the top 2% of recording artists make any money off of album sales, one assumes the crime is depriving the labels of funds. So the more bands stop trying to peddle their wares in an outdated system they don't actually need, the less this will be an issue.

wow 2%?
  • Has someone that has downloaded an album ever been sent to jail. I was an oink user. I always kept a bare minimum ratio.

How nervous should I be?

75% of the stuff I downloaded I own on cd or Vinyl or was demo's or live material.
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Pegasus wrote:
    idiots.
    That certainly goes for me.

I went on a bit of a binge when I first got my account, the novelty and all, lol. But after awhile I'd rarely use it, and usually to have a listen to a CD I was considering buying anyway. I'd dl it, and if it was as good as I'd hoped for I'd go buy it. I probably bought more CDs after I got on Oink than I did before.

Sad day :(
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    Has someone that has downloaded an album ever been sent to jail. I was an oink user. I always kept a bare minimum ratio.

How nervous should I be?

75% of the stuff I downloaded I own on cd or Vinyl or was demo's or live material.

180,000 users is a lot to go after. I would think that if any, they would go after those who have shared the most.
  • LOL, we are all fucked...LOLOLOL...Oh wait I buy my Cd's and use oiNK for backup. OH wait..shit gotta delete something :)
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    I cried a little when I heard this.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    Also something tells me those of us on this side of the pond should be OK, doesn't look like the FBI was involved.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.