The genius that was...

2»

Comments

• elmer wrote:
    Would'nt be able to settle on a top ten.

I know its a cover but 'Hear My Train a'Comin' blows me away, especially the latter solo from the Band of Gypsys show. For me, many of his blues covers demonstrate his guitar greatness best and I don't mean those on the studio albums.
    Star Spangled Banner just gets on my nerves, know some will view this as blasphemy but I wonder if he himself considered it notable in comparison to his other work(Im already aware of the symbolism of it).

as for Buckethead, well, maturity cannot be depended on eh.

Hear My Train a Comin' is a Hendrix original!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYIwAKVw8Y8
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    exactly. a quick search for "shred" on youtube will show you thousands of bedroom shredders without an ounce of creativity that can run rings around Hendrix in terms of speed and technique but they are boring as hell and there's a reason why they are stuck in their bedroom.

Nope, very few of them have good vibrato, and their bends are usually sharp or flat. They certainly couldn't manage both at the same time. Even with the tuning problems Jimi's prehistoric Strats suffered, he'd make sure those bends hit the spot.
  • Hear My Train a Comin' is a Hendrix original!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYIwAKVw8Y8
    love that version
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Nope, very few of them have good vibrato, and their bends are usually sharp or flat. They certainly couldn't manage both at the same time. Even with the tuning problems Jimi's prehistoric Strats suffered, he'd make sure those bends hit the spot.
    nah fins, you know that's not right. Jimi made a lot of screw-ups live but who cares? those bends might hit the spot but they aren't necessarily pitch perfect. I know that one of the biggest turn offs for me in terms of guitar players is being flawless. Jimi's playing was certainly rough in places but that's part of the beauty.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Comparing Jimi to anyone is ridiculous, but for those hating on buckethead,
    listen to Population Override, it is his funky, jazzy, blues masterpiece. You will find soul on this record. If you think the only thing that Buckethead can do is shred, you haven't listen to enough of his work. Easily one of the most versatile guitar players out there.

Jimi's music stands the test of time, that is the true mark of greatness.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    nah fins, you know that's not right. Jimi made a lot of screw-ups live but who cares? those bends might hit the spot but they aren't necessarily pitch perfect. I know that one of the biggest turn offs for me in terms of guitar players is being flawless. Jimi's playing was certainly rough in places but that's part of the beauty.

No he didn't. Ever. Not one. Nope. Nada. Zilch. So there. :cool:
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    No he didn't. Ever. Not one. Nope. Nada. Zilch. So there. :cool:
    :D you be crazy man.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    elmer wrote:
    Would'nt be able to settle on a top ten.

I know its a cover but 'Hear My Train a'Comin' blows me away, especially the latter solo from the Band of Gypsys show. For me, many of his blues covers demonstrate his guitar greatness best and I don't mean those on the studio albums.
    Star Spangled Banner just gets on my nerves, know some will view this as blasphemy but I wonder if he himself considered it notable in comparison to his other work(Im already aware of the symbolism of it).

as for Buckethead, well, maturity cannot be depended on eh.
    Not only it's his but it's also one of the greatest blues song ever recorded (well at least I think so!). And he didn't need blues cover to show his greatness: redhouse and voodoo chile (the studio version of that one) are incredible.
    He played star spangled banner live, just for the symbolism I guess. You can't really consider it as one of his songs.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Hear My Train a Comin' is a Hendrix original!
    Oh. Dearie me.

Spent hours in my late teens trying to learn to play Red House, had the tab plastered to the wall level with my eyeline and the song on the ready in the cassette player. Never happened, not even close, well I did clock the backing part but that was little consolation. In the end I just played along with the track the best I could. There were no mirrors involved. Honest.
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    I guess all was said already about Hendrix..so i'll just round it up..he's "a natural".
    Favorite song..maybe Angel...and about Bucketwhatever..hmm..well to each his own
  • your list has no merit without "All Along the Watchtower".....even Bob Dylan admitted that Jimi's version was superior to his own, and began performing it live Hendrix style.

Watchtower is #11 ;)
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Jimi is my favorite guitarist but Bucket is the best plaer I've ever seen live. You guys will all hail Bucket when you finally hear his work on Chinese Democray. Listen to his outro solo on TWAT. The man is fucking awesome.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=O-DKg7T_76Y
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    JYou guys will all hail Bucket when you finally hear his work on Chinese Democray.

in the words of Buddy Holly "that'll be the day"
    "It's all happening"