The genius that was...

stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
edited November 2007 in Other Music
Jimi Hendrix...been listening to him alot lately...what an amazing talent.

Let's do a top ten Jimi Hendrix songs thread just for the hell of it...

Mine are as follows...

Little Wing
51st Anniversary
Freedom
House Burning Down
1983...A Merman I Should Turn To Be
Fire
Crosstown Traffic
Angel
The Wind Cries Mary
Spanish Castle Magic
Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Highway Chile
    Stone Free
    Ezy Rider
    All Along The Watchtower
    Castles Made of Sand
    Purple Haze
    Voodoo Chile(slight return)
    Spanish Castle Magic
    In From The Storm
    Manic Depression

Although this changes from day to day.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    Not a genius in my mind. Indeed unorthadox and creative.

Angel.

The rest.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    The Wind Cries Mary
    Castles Made of Sand
    Voodoo Chile
    Fire
    Red House
    All Along the Watchtower
    Little Wing
    Angel
    Machinegun
    Long Hot Summer Night

And to the person who said he wasn't a genius, seriously?? He's hands down the greatest and most important guitar player who has ever lived. No one else is even in the same ballpark.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Jimi Hendrix...been listening to him alot lately...what an amazing talent.

Let's do a top ten Jimi Hendrix songs thread just for the hell of it...

Mine are as follows...

Little Wing
    51st Anniversary
    Freedom
    House Burning Down
    1983...A Merman I Should Turn To Be
    Fire
    Crosstown Traffic
    Angel
    The Wind Cries Mary
    Spanish Castle Magic

your list has no merit without "All Along the Watchtower".....even Bob Dylan admitted that Jimi's version was superior to his own, and began performing it live Hendrix style.
    "It's all happening"
  • Voodoo Chile(slight return)

THAT is the song! I love it so much. I'll never get tired of it.
  • The title led me to believe this thread was going to be about Nick Drake :(
    Cock Fight.
  • I'm all for establishing Hendrix as the greatest human being ever to walk the face of the earth, along with Muhammad Ali.

• Neato.

Now let's make Hendrix look like the amateur he is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW_ZTq5IAqE
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    All along the watchtower
    Little wing
    Fire
    Purple Haze
    hey joe
    Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)
    Voodoo Chile
    Crosstown Traffic
    Long Hot Summer Night
    Killing floor
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,926
    Star Spangled Banner is my fave Hendrix track. Little Wing and Are You Experienced close behind.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Neato.

That's just unlistenable, pointless, toneless fretwanking. You don't think Hendrix wouldn't have been able to do that, had he been into fingertapping and had thought it necessary to play all the scales at once? Hendrix was creating art in his solo. Buckethead or whatever the talentless fuck his name is is just showing that his previous job was a touch typist. Boring. Next.
    Neato.

We're talking Hendrix, and you give us Buckethead?? Seriously??
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Neato.

worst possible choice to try and prove hendrix is an amateur.

being a musician is not about how fast your fingers move, it's about making something beautiful. there was no SOUL in that video. At least pick someone like Vai if you are going to choose a shredder. he actually has *shock* slow songs.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • I think, seriously, if any guitarist comes remotely close to Jimi, it's more likely to be Peter Green. One note from Greeny could wipe out the entire careers of thousands of fretwankers, such is his tone.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

being a musician is not about how fast your fingers move, it's about making something beautiful. there was no SOUL in that video. At least pick someone like Vai if you are going to choose a shredder. he actually has *shock* slow songs.

Thank you. It's amazing how many people on this board and in general just don't get this. These are the same people who think Mark Tremonti from Creed/Alter Bridge is a good guitar player. Great guitar playing is all about soul. It's about playing with feeling and invoking feeling in those who are listening.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

that was just a showing of his skill

if you're interested in "soul" (which to me is what people attribute to guitarists who are simply minimalists who like to close their eyes alot) then listen to Buckethead's albums "Colma" or "Electric Tears"....the man will have you crying.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    Thank you. It's amazing how many people on this board and in general just don't get this. These are the same people who think Mark Tremonti from Creed/Alter Bridge is a good guitar player. Great guitar playing is all about soul. It's about playing with feeling and invoking feeling in those who are listening.

You lose a credibility saying that Tremonti is not a good player. That is also one of the stupidest things i have ever heard about guitars and guitar players.
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    You lose a credibility saying that Tremonti is not a good player. That is also one of the stupidest things i have ever heard about guitars and guitar players.

yeah the "soul" argument is what people use when they like shit guitar players like Jimi Hendrix and John Frusciante. haha
  • boroff89 wrote:

here's some soul for you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61k041I4aEo&feature=related

it even has all the cute head shaking that comes along with "soulful" guitar playing.
  • here's some soul for you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61k041I4aEo&feature=related

it even has all the cute head shaking that comes along with "soulful" guitar playing.

Pfffffft. No tone = no soul.
  • i love jimi hendrix...it's unbelieveable that this music is about 40 years old...still sounds so frsh and exciting and great...and there never was a better guitar player (ok, mccready and frusciante are close ;))

top ten...hmm

little wing
    all along the watchtower (love bob dylan as well)
    castles made of sand
    the wind cries mary

...i cannot rate the rest...

peace
    "now i've got room to spread my wings and my messages of love...yeah love was my drug but that's not what i died of"

"I don't wanna think, I wanna feel"

"Go then, there are other worlds than these!" - Jake Chambers

09/02/2005 Vancouver
    09/23/2006 Berlin
    06/21/2007 Düsseldorf
    Jellyrolls wrote:

He blows. He has no soul. I have yet to hear a solo of his that enhances a song. It's typically him just trying to play as fast as he can. There's a lot more to playing guitar than speed.

Hendrix changed the art of guitar playing. He hit notes that connect with me emotionally/spiritually in a way that no other guitar player can. There are so many perspectives on what makes a great guitar player. I don't give a fuck about technique. I don't give a fuck about "songwriting" (that's for the Jimmy Page folks). For me, it is all about the reaction created in me by the guitarist. Hendrix creates the strongest reaction in me. SRV and McCready are next in line.

As for that Buckethead clip, he's a good guitar player in a sense. There's still no soul there. To compare him to Hendrix is blasphemy. He creates little feeling for me.
  • Fly on little wing...

When he sings that line... it gives me chills... he sounds so sad :o

Love for Little Wing
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Legend.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
    that was just a showing of his skill

if you're interested in "soul" (which to me is what people attribute to guitarists who are simply minimalists who like to close their eyes alot) then listen to Buckethead's albums "Colma" or "Electric Tears"....the man will have you crying.
    I never once said that Buckethead couldn't play, or even that he doesn't have some good songs. I'm well aware that he makes experimental albums that don't just feature shredding. I was just expressing my distaste that you thought the best way to highlight his superiority was to post a video of him running through some scales as fast as he could.

Give me Hendrix or *shock* Frusciante over that any day. And don't try to say I don't know because I'm not a musician. yes I am. I went through the "shred is cool" phase and ultimately came to realise that it means fuck all.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    All along the watchtower
    Hear my train a comin'
    Red house
    Still raining, still dreaming
    Angel
    51st anniversary
    Bold as love
    Steppin stone
    Fire
    Crosstown traffic

And to the poster mentionning buckethead, are you crazy? Boring guitarists who play 44 nps can be found anywhere, a guitarist like jimi hendrix... not so much
    Kann wrote:

And to the poster mentionning buckethead, are you crazy? Boring guitarists who play 44 nps can be found anywhere, a guitarist like jimi hendrix... not so much
    exactly. a quick search for "shred" on youtube will show you thousands of bedroom shredders without an ounce of creativity that can run rings around Hendrix in terms of speed and technique but they are boring as hell and there's a reason why they are stuck in their bedroom.
  • Yeah, Buckethead is boring as hell...

I was just at Jimi's grave in July...pretty cool monument.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Would'nt be able to settle on a top ten.

I know its a cover but 'Hear My Train a'Comin' blows me away, especially the latter solo from the Band of Gypsys show. For me, many of his blues covers demonstrate his guitar greatness best and I don't mean those on the studio albums.
    Star Spangled Banner just gets on my nerves, know some will view this as blasphemy but I wonder if he himself considered it notable in comparison to his other work(Im already aware of the symbolism of it).

as for Buckethead, well, maturity cannot be depended on eh.