Manic Street Preachers

2»

Comments

• Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I've always liked the Manics, but I never got into them in a big way. A couple of years ago I saw them at a festival and they absolutely blew me away. Great live band.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I really like them, along with Placebo, I got introduced to their music while in college. Talk about a breath of fresh air!

The Holy Bible is a masterpiece, songs like Die in the Summertime and Of Walking Abortion are classics!

I really wish they can come and tour the states.
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • see_the_worldsee_the_world Posts: 172
    They were stupidly good at the Astoria last night. I fell right back in love with them the moment they came on and opened with Stay Beautiful. Great set, great venue, great band.
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there...
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    They were stupidly good at the Astoria last night. I fell right back in love with them the moment they came on and opened with Stay Beautiful. Great set, great venue, great band.

i couldn't get to see them this time but i saw the set list at foreverdelayed.com - sounds like one hell of a concert!
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    Just got the new album...it's great!!
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Generation Terrorists and The Holy Bible are two of the best british albums of the 90s
    Generation Terrorists????? other than Motorcycle Emptiness this album I find almost unlistenable. From the gratey tin of the production to the songs themselves I just never got it.
    Other than the one song there was no hint as to what was to come with that album,I do agree that Holy Bible is one of the great 90s albums
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    elmer wrote:
    Generation Terrorists????? other than Motorcycle Emptiness this album I find almost unlistenable. From the gratey tin of the production to the songs themselves I just never got it.
    Other than the one song there was no hint as to what was to come with that album,I do agree that Holy Bible is one of the great 90s albums
    the production is shite, no arguments there, but I think the songs are great in a naive angsty way. its like public enemy making a guns n roses record, and to me thats quite a good prospect :) I mean seriously, you love us, crucifix kiss, stay beautiful and spectators of suicide are brilliant songs. look past the gloss and leopard print. I hated it at first but it grew on me.

The Holy Bible, however, pisses all over it.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    the production is shite, no arguments there, but I think the songs are great in a naive angsty way. its like public enemy making a guns n roses record, and to me thats quite a good prospect :) I mean seriously, you love us, crucifix kiss, stay beautiful and spectators of suicide are brilliant songs. look past the gloss and leopard print. I hated it at first but it grew on me.

Funny you should mention that about Public Enemy. Apparently the Manics wanted Public Enemy producers the Bomb Squad to work with them early on!

Gold Against The Soul very under-rated in my book.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Funny you should mention that about Public Enemy. Apparently the Manics wanted Public Enemy producers the Bomb Squad to work with them early on!

Gold Against The Soul very under-rated in my book.
    there is an american remix of the song Repeat on generation terrorists that actually is by the Bomb Squad. there's also a Chuck D quote in the sleeve.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

I thought it was just me...the production is bad...but the songs are good.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • MJSB74MJSB74 Posts: 75
    Soupy wrote:
    Generation Terrorists - 5/10
    Gold Against The Soul - 7/10
    Holy Bible - 9/10
    Everything Must Go - 8/10
    This Is My Truth - 1/10
    Know Your Enemy - 6/10
    Lifeblood - 7/10
    Send Away The Tigers - 8/10.

Been a fan for many a year (since Gold Against..), great band alot of Crap written about Richie but the truth of the matter is he only wrote the lyrics he had nothing do to with the music. Richie and Nicky write the lyrics and James and Sean write the music - The only change is sometimes since 'Know Your Enemy' James write some lyrics. Both he and Nicky released solo albums last year I'd give both 6/10 i think worthy purchases to any fan.

ONLY wrote the lyrics? Richeys lyrics are the reason that album is one of the greatest albums ever released.Dont underestimate what Richey was to the Manics, he WAS the Manics, without him there wouldn't have been a band in the first place. Its no coincidence that without him they became a shell of the band they once were.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i love this band. definately one of my favorites
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • MJSB74 wrote:
    ONLY wrote the lyrics? Richeys lyrics are the reason that album is one of the greatest albums ever released.Dont underestimate what Richey was to the Manics, he WAS the Manics, without him there wouldn't have been a band in the first place. Its no coincidence that without him they became a shell of the band they once were.

Well he wasn't actually in the band to begin with, so that's not strictly true, but he influenced everything they did between 1989 and 1994, which made them the band they are/were. A band is more than just its music, and Richey and Nicky were responsible for the image, press, lyrics, references, iconography. And contrary to popular belief, his amp was usually turned on... (just not always turned up).

And for the US fans, there are rumours over here that the US release of Send Away The Tigers might see some US dates. Don't hold your collective breath, there are many pitfalls between thinking about setting up a tour and pulling it of, but I think the band would genuinely like it to happen. Nicky's wife has to have the baby first though...
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there...
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Lipstick Traces has got some classic tunes on it, some Im unsure if their covers or not but prompted to believe they are because why else be left out?

Judge Yourself I assume was penned by Richie and seems almost GnR-like, then theres the Its So Easy cover, love James' high pitched axl wail towards the end of the song.

Has anybody made a connection between the Last Christmas cover and This is Yesterday (think thats the song) from Holy Bible,,,,,,,,,,they share a very simlar melody in parts. Guess thats why they chose the cover, perhaps the similarity became apparent or maybe they were aware anyhow.
    when I saw the manics,wemb arena in dec98 they finished with Last Xmas,,,,