Bullshit Meet & Greets i.e. Chris Cornell

2»

Comments

• rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Dude some artists/bands don't even have meet and greets *cough*pearl jam*cough*.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • failedpersephonefailedpersephone Posts: 3,424
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Chris, like Anthony Kiedis, always comes across as a bit of a dick in his interviews. The not so bright good looking guy who thinks that his lyrics are profound. I hope when nobody buys his solo album that he goes back to Soundgarden for a reunion tour. Chris, nobody is going to your shows to hear you sing Billy Jean and that other shit song you recorded for the latest Bond flick.

Hmmn, actually I DID go to hear his version of Billy Jean...in addition to Loud Love, Slaves and Bulldozers, Sunshower, Seasons, and You Know My Name. I like his voice...I don't get that so many people here think of Mr. Cornell as a "dick" having never spent a great deal of time with him I wouldn't be able to make a fair judgment.

when you say "nobody" you meant YOU...and it seems to me that if you can tell a person's worth based on interviews you must be magical. (and a bit of a drag at parties ;) ) His lyrics ARE profound...(billy jean really doesn't count considering that it was not written by him although his treatment of the song has vastly improved its general MOOD) many people find a great deal of solace and meaning in his lyrics...and ya know he IS good looking...but that doesn't mean shallow...unless of course you are generalizing in a hollywood romantic comedy sort of way... :D

and a soundgarden reunion tour?? haha. WHY would YOU want that? would he be less of a "dick" with Kim thayil, Matt Cameron, and Ben Sheppard??

it's all about the voice. some people get it some don't but I can tell you that the tonal qualities of hearing this man perform live CLARIFIES his talent.

meet and greets are there to allow a few fans to shake hands get an autograph and move on...otherwise they would be called "newsest most bestest friends forever" and they would give you 1/2 of a charm necklave with BFF stamped on it. :roll eyes:
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    I'll stick with Michael Jackson if I want to hear Billy Jean. I'm a Soundgarden fan, and I even like some of the Audioslave stuff, but as for Chris's solo material... It's utter shit in my opinion!! You guys would rather hear Chris Cornell solo than hear him with Soundgarden?
  • bookmusebookmuse Posts: 277
    Matty Boy wrote:
    I'll stick with Michael Jackson if I want to hear Billy Jean. I'm a Soundgarden fan, and I even like some of the Audioslave stuff, but as for Chris's solo material... It's utter shit in my opinion!! You guys would rather hear Chris Cornell solo than hear him with Soundgarden?

I'd rather hear Chris Cornell anyway he wants to deliver that glorious voice and his songs. Loved the show I went to and it was surreal to hear songs spanning his career in such a small venue and him sounding utterly amazing and yes (I'm a girl)looking so damn good too :D

But everyone has different opinions and it's all good :)
    "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" ~ M Kuhn
  • if em didnt float your boat, that doesnt make chris a dick. whether or not his lyrics are profound is on opinion only. I hardly think they warrant a comparison with: 'Oh good brother just when I tought
    That I had seen it all
    My eyes popped out, my dick got hard
    And I dropped my jaw

I saw a bird walkin down the block
    Name apache rose peacock
    I could not speak I was in shock
    I told my knees to please not knock'

i think you'll find wave goodbye and steel rain are far more arresting...

i wouldnt go to a meet and greet if you paid me. you have the music, and a live show...what else can a musician do for their fans?

unless you're angelo moore ;)
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I was at Coachella last weekend, and had artist passes, so I was able to go into the artist compound. My girlfriend and I both love TRAVIS (Scottish band), so we went and said hello. As my girlfriend was posing with two of the band members for a photo, the singer, Fran, snuck up behind me, and was playfully mocking me, as I took the photo. He then ran into the shot and happily posed, without even being asked.

Granted, there were no other people around to meet them, but these guys were truly appreciative of two fans.

I have been lucky enough to meet scores of bands, but these guys really take the cake!
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    Just got this offer today :)

"Who Are You?" Flyaway Contest

Pete & Roger are asking their fans - "Who Are You?" Tell The Who about yourself by uploading a photo, photo collage or personally-created artwork to TheWhoTour.com. Pete & Roger will personally select the grand-prize winning entry based on creativity, skill and the entry that best represents "Who Are You." The grand prize winner (plus one guest) will receive a flyaway and 3 nights' hotel accommodation along with front row tickets to the band's July 9th show in Helsinki, Finland! AND... The grand prize winner and guest will MEET PETE TOWNSHEND AND ROGER DALTREY!

Off now to put my winning entry together :D

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Uh guys, it's "Billie Jean". ;)
  • walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349
    You are 100% right man. I attended one of the "meet and greets" and left highly disappointed. We were lined up like it was a military drill, then were able to get one item signed. I was stunned when I asked to get a picture and was told to lean over the counter, wtf? Chris came off as indifferent and seemed to lack humility. Since he is a musician, all he really needs to do is put out great music; however, he set up these meet and greets. If he doesn't feel like doing them, he shouldn't. I feel bad for people that flew out for the event or paid for hotels. After the way he left Audioslave and his vibe during the m n g, Cornell is seeming like a complete douche.

Cornell is a sellout...a whore to the machine...one who lacks integrity...everything he did with Soundgarden has been ruined by his lack of integrity...he is the new David Lee Roth or maybe I should say Sammy Hagar after his efforts with Audioslave! His solo stuff stinks like a dirty old toilet with a dirty old S%&@ in it.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Cornell is a sellout...a whore to the machine...one who lacks integrity...everything he did with Soundgarden has been ruined by his lack of integrity...he is the new David Lee Roth or maybe I should say Sammy Hagar after his efforts with Audioslave! His solo stuff stinks like a dirty old toilet with a dirty old S%&@ in it.

Wow! You are complete asshole.

His career stands for itself. There is no need for anyone to defend him.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• RadioYamRadioYam Posts: 102

the new David Lee roth? hahaha :D
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237

The new Sammy Hagar!!!! Hahaha,anyway his solo stuff is pretty good.
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    You should never meet your idols, you know.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Peter C wrote:
    The new Sammy Hagar!!!! Hahaha,anyway his solo stuff is pretty good.

Come on, Chris's solo shit is nowhere near as good as "I Can't Drive 55". Perhaps Chris could write a decent song again if he started drinking some of Sammy's tequila.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Matty Boy wrote:
    You guys would rather hear Chris Cornell solo than hear him with Soundgarden?

Yes.
  • RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    Why do people expect musicians to be giving hand jobs to every fan 24/7.
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • I haven't read any of this so maybe it been said already. But meet and greets for the masses are pretty lame.

No one should be forced to sign a million things and put on a smile for a million people. If you put people in forced/robotic conditions don't expect them to be pleasant and inviting.

Any type of meet and greet should happen by chance or if it's going to be organized it should be limited to a small group of people.

And autograph hounds are equally lame. Be glad you got to shake and meet the person but there's no need for an autograph.

My girlfriend met Chris Cornell when he visited her Starbucks in LA. They talked about Seattle, Bob Dylan, and Soundgarden. She said he was very genuine, down to Earth, and not cold.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • edwho wrote:
    Glad to hear that it’s at least possible for a pleasant CC encounter.

Some people are shy, some have germ phobias or maybe some just are a little scared of fanatics. That’s ok by me. Don’t bother with the M $ G and don’t spoil the image – illusion – facade. I would only be attending the M $ G because the performed arranged it.

What’s the motivation for a M $ G anyway? ?$Promotion$? I’ll play along, it’s my only chance to shake his hand, say thank you (because I am not a stalker) and possibly leave with a personal treasure. As far as CC being shy? I don’t buy it. The man is a lead singer for how many years now? Don’t ruin the facade to please the record company. You just spoil it for the fan. Invite me to thank me as well.

How’s life in Paris CC? How’s your standard of living?

Don't hate on the guy because he's successful. I personally would have a problem with meeting a bunch of random freaks. You might end up like John Lennon.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Don't hate on the guy because he's successful. I personally would have a problem with meeting a bunch of random freaks. You might end up like John Lennon.

Exactly. Let's not forget Chris had a stalker a little while back who was making death threats against his wife and children - I'm surprised he bothered at all with the meet and greets.

The meet and greets I do think are bull shit are ones like Velvet Revolver - whereby you have to pay to meet them, it's £125 (approx. $250) to meet them and that doesn't include the price of the gig ticket , check it out: http://www.velvetrevolver.com/index.php?module=tour for them it appears to be a way of making extra cash.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    mole1985 wrote:
    Imigine if it was you. Could you be arsed doing that shit for hours and hours while evry fan tells you the same 'your the greatest' 'You have the best voice blah blah'

You would get pissed off with it. But dont forget there is plenty of people who have met him in the street and he's been dead cool and stayed and chatted ect. Meet and greets are rushed so he can see and sign something for everyone.

This is true. Happened to me at the Toadies and Burden Brothers. I saw Todd Lewis in the airport once and he stopped me and talked to me for like 10 minutes. When we are at the shows though, it is rushed because they have a line of people and they want to make time for everyone so that everyone can have something signed. Meet and Greets are cool but they do have a limit on time. I do know also that Chris Cornell is Todd Lewis's favorite artist. He said it was an amazing show last year.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • I can't speak for everyone obviously, but if you go to my site and read some of the stories in the tour archive that people have sent me about their experiences at m&g's and so on, you'll find an awful lot of positives, like the ones posted earlier in this thread by soundgrunger and Vedhead.

I've been involved helping to coordinate m&gs as a street team leader in the UK, and no, the filing-past-a-table thing isn't ideal. But there are sometimes security considerations to take into account, and sometimes people do get drunk and act badly, which spoils it for others. I heard there was one occasion early on in the tour when some totally wasted fan made a real nuisance of themselves - the band-behind-a-table table thing seemed to make an appearance soon after that. It's not universal, though: the m&g at the London Roundhouse was held in Chris's dressing room and fans went in two at a time for a chat, a group photo with Chris & the band, and some autographs. And at Hyde Park Calling last year, fans got invited to his trailer before the show. No-one has to pay, the m&g's are done freely as a thank you for fans, usually at the end of a 2-3 hr show. It seems a bit churlish to complain that you didn't get the chance to talk for a long time under those circumstances.
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I think that meet & greets in and of themselves are PURE BULLSHIT.

One of the leading indicators that you have whored yourself out to the publicity machine.

Should i point out that you just compared Chris Cornell to Aerosmith and Metallica?

Ouch.

:(
    agreed
    Aerosmith sucks
    I have only been to one meet and greet and it was like that, but I wasn't offended, just grateful they took any time
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
This discussion has been closed.