Bullshit Meet & Greets i.e. Chris Cornell

edwhoedwho Posts: 811
edited May 2007 in Other Music
It’s killing me reading these stories over at the CC board. A super rushed signing of only one item and having to lean over a table for a picture. Pure Bullshit! How many years of unconditional love have you invested in this performer? How many years of faithfully paying his bills? The music touching and moving you all these years and you finally get to meet and thank him and he is indifferent and in a hurry.

I’ve had the good fortune of being able to meet and greet with all members of both Aerosmith and Metallica and let me tell you these bands appreciate their fans. Both times we were brought into party rooms were the band came out and went person to person. No rush, no tables, sign any and all items, pictures taken arm and arm shoulder to shoulder. Areosmith even fed us.

I say, don’t do the meet and greet if your interest in the fans is only album sales, a full house and a big fat paycheck!

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Just to play the other side of things, maybe he is just not as outgoing as Metallica, or maybe he had to take a dump or something.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Imigine if it was you. Could you be arsed doing that shit for hours and hours while evry fan tells you the same 'your the greatest' 'You have the best voice blah blah'

You would get pissed off with it. But dont forget there is plenty of people who have met him in the street and he's been dead cool and stayed and chatted ect. Meet and greets are rushed so he can see and sign something for everyone.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    Army of Anyone's meet and great was great. All of the guys were very personable and really were interested in what you were talking to them about. They took time for everyone, which I guess is why they limit them to six guests at a time. It is a shame Cornell's were so rushed and impersonal..
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    Glad to hear that it’s at least possible for a pleasant CC encounter.

Some people are shy, some have germ phobias or maybe some just are a little scared of fanatics. That’s ok by me. Don’t bother with the M $ G and don’t spoil the image – illusion – facade. I would only be attending the M $ G because the performed arranged it.

What’s the motivation for a M $ G anyway? ?$Promotion$? I’ll play along, it’s my only chance to shake his hand, say thank you (because I am not a stalker) and possibly leave with a personal treasure. As far as CC being shy? I don’t buy it. The man is a lead singer for how many years now? Don’t ruin the facade to please the record company. You just spoil it for the fan. Invite me to thank me as well.

How’s life in Paris CC? How’s your standard of living?

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• I think that meet & greets in and of themselves are PURE BULLSHIT.

One of the leading indicators that you have whored yourself out to the publicity machine.

Should i point out that you just compared Chris Cornell to Aerosmith and Metallica?

Ouch.

:(
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • i completely disagree. just attended the Cornell M&G in Dallas and it was freakin great. could not have asked for anything more from 5 guys who just played their asses off for 2+ hours
  • edwho wrote:
    It’s killing me reading these stories over at the CC board. A super rushed signing of only one item and having to lean over a table for a picture. Pure Bullshit! How many years of unconditional love have you invested in this performer? How many years of faithfully paying his bills? The music touching and moving you all these years and you finally get to meet and thank him and he is indifferent and in a hurry.

I’ve had the good fortune of being able to meet and greet with all members of both Aerosmith and Metallica and let me tell you these bands appreciate their fans. Both times we were brought into party rooms were the band came out and went person to person. No rush, no tables, sign any and all items, pictures taken arm and arm shoulder to shoulder. Areosmith even fed us.

I say, don’t do the meet and greet if your interest in the fans is only album sales, a full house and a big fat paycheck!

You are 100% right man. I attended one of the "meet and greets" and left highly disappointed. We were lined up like it was a military drill, then were able to get one item signed. I was stunned when I asked to get a picture and was told to lean over the counter, wtf? Chris came off as indifferent and seemed to lack humility. Since he is a musician, all he really needs to do is put out great music; however, he set up these meet and greets. If he doesn't feel like doing them, he shouldn't. I feel bad for people that flew out for the event or paid for hotels. After the way he left Audioslave and his vibe during the m n g, Cornell is seeming like a complete douche.
  • I was stunned when I asked to get a picture and was told to lean over the counter, wtf?

man, some people are so ungreatful, wtf did you want? to walk around and give him a hug? give me a break, he just sung his balls off, he's prolly exhausted and sweaty. i leaned over and got a great photo with him, said a few words, shook his hand, met his band, got a record signed...it was great. some people expect WAY to much IMO
  • man, some people are so ungreatful, wtf did you want? to walk around and give him a hug? give me a break, he just sung his balls off, he's prolly exhausted and sweaty. i leaned over and got a great photo with him, said a few words, shook his hand, met his band, got a record signed...it was great. some people expect WAY to much IMO

Lol, considering that man is nothing without his fans, you would think he would be a little more gracious. It was billed as a meet a greet, sure I met the man but I wasn't greeted. I spent all of twenty seconds there before I was shooed out. I like how people keep using the excuse of they were tired because they just did something they love for two hours hours. Boo-hoo. There are just some fans that feel an artist can do no wrong.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I've never met him but I think it is great that they do meet and greets. I don't care if there is a table. Maybe he wants personal space. They did not even search us or our purses tuesday night at ram's head live where I saw him. The table may be for security purposes. At least he allow pictures. Last year, I witnessed people (grown people not tweens) going beserk over a band near a meet and greet. The guards punished everyone by saying NO PICS.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Lol, considering that man is nothing without his fans, you would think he would be a little more gracious. It was billed as a meet a greet, sure I met the man but I wasn't greeted. I spent all of twenty seconds there before I was shooed out. I like how people keep using the excuse of they were tired because they just did something they love for two hours hours. Boo-hoo. There are just some fans that feel an artist can do no wrong.

just because he gets to do something he loves for a living doesnt mean it's not tiring and doesnt ware on you. i've been a musician for many years, it's great fun but still a ton of work, and i can't imagine doing it for 20 yrs like CC at the level he has been at

can do no wrong?!?! maybe he could've just played the show and went straight to the bus/hotel like 99% of all other bands do after a show.

either way, not here to get in a bitch fest with ya. i thought the M&G i attended was more than enough, i didnt expect anything more from Chris or his band, i was just happy to be there and meet him, even if only for a minute or two.
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    The fact he is doing meet and greets, for free without having to join some bogus fan club or something is GREAT. I went to the one in Baltimore and felt very fortunate just to have the opportunity to meet him. He doesn't owe me anything, but he was very genuine and sincere to me. The way the meet and greet is run is up to the venue itself and what accomodations they have for an event like that.

Don't let the music get in the way of a poor personal experience.

I wanna think youre talking about the guy from Washington that flew to Austin for the M&G? Reading his posts about it, it sounded as if he was expecting to sit down and talk to Chris for a few hours. It's called a MEET and GREET, not SIT DOWN AND BECOME BEST FRIENDS.
  • not to defend chris or anything.. but aren't metallica's meet and greets only with a small portion of the local fanbase?

it seems totally different.
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    The problem with meet and greets is that people go in expecting too much out of it. You have to think of it as an autograph signing, you get the autograph, say hi, maybe have a few words, a quick pic and you're out. Anything more than that and you're either lucky or kidding yourself.
    It's not meant as a forum for you to discuss how the music has totally changed your life or how you've idolized so and so for eions. It's about an opportunity to meet and greet someone, nowhere in there does it say anything about a deep life changing experience or a long discussion about the way lives have been touched.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    meet and greets are also not for furthering to develop your man crush either.

:D
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    I have considered the possibility that my opinion on this is unreasonable. That’s why I ask here in the Pit. I know we have quite a few musicians around and I just wanted some different view points.

Matt, yes that review from the Washington fan this morning was the last straw but it’s been the same review for every CC m & g so far. It sounds like maybe Chris was extra distracted that particular night but you have to overcome these things. You have arranged a dream come true for some extremely devoted fans and then ‘Tommy kicks them from the stage.’ As far as who controls the m & g and how it’s handled, well, don’t think for one second CC and his people do not control this process. Ever see our Ed take charge of a venue or security? Now that’s a sight (Seattle 9/96).

Drifting :p some of my first record albums were from that 70’s record giant K-Tel :cool: Brandy you’re a fine girl :) Extra fine quality musical taste here, come on. And I spared you my Goo Goo Dolls experience.

My Metallica m & g was through their fan club. Club or no club you support and admire these people. I expect respect either way.

ilovcats, you got me :) I want to pinch his butt ;)

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    iluvcats wrote:
    meet and greets are also not for furthering to develop your man crush either.

:D

Ahahahahaha!
    edwho wrote:

You see, that's why he stands behind a table!!
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    edwho wrote:
    I have considered the possibility that my opinion on this is unreasonable. That’s why I ask here in the Pit. I know we have quite a few musicians around and I just wanted some different view points.

Matt, yes that review from the Washington fan this morning was the last straw but it’s been the same review for every CC m & g so far. It sounds like maybe Chris was extra distracted that particular night but you have to overcome these things. You have arranged a dream come true for some extremely devoted fans and then ‘Tommy kicks them from the stage.’ As far as who controls the m & g and how it’s handled, well, don’t think for one second CC and his people do not control this process. Ever see our Ed take charge of a venue or security? Now that’s a sight (Seattle 9/96).

Drifting :p some of my first record albums were from that 70’s record giant K-Tel :cool: Brandy you’re a fine girl :) Extra fine quality musical taste here, come on. And I spared you my Goo Goo Dolls experience.

My Metallica m & g was through their fan club. Club or no club you support and admire these people. I expect respect either way.

are you old too? that brandi song was a hit when i was 12! I like the goo goo dolls too. matt has a crush on chris.

gavin rossdale was supposed to have a table at his meet and greet in november 2005 when he toured as "institute." we waited in line with our 1 item. he showed up across the room and it was unorganized. he never knew who to take next. this has nothing to do with tables or order, but an old woman asked for a kiss. he said no. her friends encouraged him... bleh, he finally kissed her on the cheek. she left and he wiped his lips on with his arm. poor gavin. I felt like I was meeting someone as special as Eddie Vedder! I raved over when he was in Bush and he wanted to know what I thought of Institute's album! I only had it for two weeks, but I liked it. I got his autograph and I met chris traynor, who was in bush and helmet. hubba hubba. he hugged me in our picture, whew! chris did, not gavin.
    not everyone can have this type of meet and greet:
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/65mustangTS/Gavin%20Rossdale%20w%20Institute%20Nov%209%2005/018_05A.jpg
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • i saw that on the CC board as well, but it is not the case with all of the meet and greets. VEDHEAD27 and I had the most memorable experience ever at the Philly show and meet and greet with Chris (you can read about it on my most recent myspace blog http://www.myspace.com/soundgrunger)
    we didn't feel rushed at all, we got to talk to him for quite awhile (felt like 15-20 mins! but probably wasn't actually that long), but we both got to tell him everything we wanted to and it wasn't completely one sided either with us telling him what we wanted to, he said things to us and asked us questions as well. There were other meet and greets (the Las Vegas one) which was very casual and the fans i talked to who went to that one said it was very laid back with just one security guard in the room and everyone just mingling with each other. I really think part of it depends on the atmosphere that the venue creates (ie-if they put everyone in a room and they can roam around, or if they line everyone up which makes you think you won't have time to say anything and just get an autograph & pic and go), and also of course his mood. It must be hard doing that after giving it your all for a 2, 2 1/2 hour show. I totally feel like this is something he is doing for the fans, as a gift, and i would feel bad expecting something from it (eventhough it can mean so much, and VEDHEAD27 and I both flew a whole day, all the way from the West Coast just for this). But because i didn't go in with specific expectations, i had an incredible time! We really are lucky that he is doing this type of thing since it seems very hard to meet him otherwise. :)
    eeewwww....I did not understand about the threatening (chris and his family) myspace being reported. I read the long thread very quickly.

making up a threatening myspace is ridiculous.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • i saw that on the CC board as well, but it is not the case with all of the meet and greets. VEDHEAD27 and I had the most memorable experience ever at the Philly show and meet and greet with Chris (you can read about it here: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=29461616&blogID=257460231&MyToken=df8410ac-4f2f-47a6-9b7a-2192b5e4fc24)
    we didn't feel rushed at all, we got to talk to him for quite awhile (felt like 15-20 mins! but probably wasn't actually that long), but we both got to tell him everything we wanted to and it wasn't completely one sided either with us telling him what we wanted to, he said things to us and asked us questions as well. There were other meet and greets (the Las Vegas one) which was very casual and the fans i talked to who went to that one said it was very laid back with just one security guard in the room and everyone just mingling with each other. I really think part of it depends on the atmosphere that the venue creates (ie-if they put everyone in a room and they can roam around, or if they line everyone up which makes you think you won't have time to say anything and just get an autograph & pic and go), and also of course his mood. It must be hard doing that after giving it your all for a 2, 2 1/2 hour show. I totally feel like this is something he is doing for the fans, as a gift, and i would feel bad expecting something from it (eventhough it can mean so much, and VEDHEAD27 and I both flew a whole day, all the way from the West Coast just for this). But because i didn't go in with specific expectations, i had an incredible time! We really are lucky that he is doing this type of thing since it seems very hard to meet him otherwise. :)
    i was gonna mention this. Glad you had the patience to type it out :p
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I agree that people were expecting to much of the meet and greets. I will make one point, I think people thought the meet and greet was going to be JUST for the contest winners so were disappointed when all the guestlist people and concert hoochies were also back there, which necessitated the table and rush.
    Also the LV meet and Greet WAS just that. The 7 contest winners and their guests so I understand how people could have gone in incorrect expectations.

That said...People should be lucky they even GOT to meet him in the first place. Most bands you either have to know someone, or pay a shitload of money to the fanclub to get into the meet and greet.

note I said MOST...not ALL. I know other bands do GIVE AWAY passes to meet and greets, but they are in the minority IMO.

Anyways Chris Cornells webmaster has invited some criticims of the meet and greets in an effort to make future ones run more smoothly.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    I agree with every single word of my girl soundgrunger on this. :) We could NOT have had a more amazing experience and I feel so beyond blessed that we were straight up handed this opportunity of a lifetime! I mean, metting THIS MAN?? Never in my wildest dreams! :eek: Chris IS interested in the fans. That's why this is happening in the first place. He's totally putting himself out there in ways he never has before. He does care and he really wants that to be known...now more so than ever.

I do admit though that the way the Meet & Greets are currently being organized is extra extra nervewracking. It did freak us both out at first. Everything did look a bit rushed and it was all very professional and serious. But like others have said, I really think that depends on bigger things. Things beyond Chris. We chose to make the most of our precious time though. I keep hearing that Gandolf quote in my head here "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you." hehe. It's true though!! That and we didn't go into this expecting a damn thing. This is the only way you can do it. To echo what Matt said, Chris doesn't owe us anything...yet here he is giving us all this tremendous gift. The very fact that he's taking time to do this (and at every single show at that!) is huge. In whatever frickin form it's given to us...it's something we should be so incredibly grateful for.

With that said, as ACC noted, it does appear that CC's management has taken an active interest in the fan's feedback on this. They seem genuinely concerned and are completely open to suggestion. I believe the format will be changed down the line. We are the voice they are listening to. We are the voice they aim to please. They (and Chris I'm absolutely sure) want this to be the best experience it can be for everyone involved.

You see, that's why he stands behind a table!!

BAHAHAH!:eek:
    OMG you guys are killing me. :D
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • i don't blame the guy. fuck the meet n greets. a simple thank you on stage during a show is good enough for me. i don't want any stupid silly autograph anyway i just want to hear the guy sing if he wants to. he don't have to kiss my ass nor do i his. if i was famous i wouldn't want to sign a trillion items either..i'd get a rubber stamp made and just stamp everything LIKE IT OR NOT IT'S FROM ME. besides nobody started liking him because he carried a sharpie around and signed things real well or because he was the friendliest guy anybody ever knew always running around shaking hands and hugging people.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    edwho wrote:

I’ve had the good fortune of being able to meet and greet with all members of both Aerosmith and Metallica and let me tell you these bands appreciate their fans.

Did you get a penicillin shot afterward? I heard they were complimentary.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • dave grolschdave grolsch Posts: 730
    edwho wrote:

sorry that meeting cc was a bit of a let down!i remember buying raffle tickets for a meet and greet metallica and the winning ticket holder had gone home,so me and my mate had the nearest number to the winnning one,sorted we thought(NO CHANCE)some kids at the booth had spent a load more than us had more stubs and so got thru to meet there heroes.would i sacrifice a meet pj for some kids??? NO FRIGGING CHANCE,TAKE US ALL OR ITS KICKING OFF! ha ha
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    No expectation... no regrets.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Chris, like Anthony Kiedis, always comes across as a bit of a dick in his interviews. The not so bright good looking guy who thinks that his lyrics are profound. I hope when nobody buys his solo album that he goes back to Soundgarden for a reunion tour. Chris, nobody is going to your shows to hear you sing Billy Jean and that other shit song you recorded for the latest Bond flick.
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    Chris, like Anthony Kiedis, always comes across as a bit of a dick in his interviews. The not so bright good looking guy who thinks that his lyrics are profound. I hope when nobody buys his solo album that he goes back to Soundgarden for a reunion tour. Chris, nobody is going to your shows to hear you sing Billy Jean and that other shit song you recorded for the latest Bond flick.
    Your obviously not a fan of his, so why bother posting? I met him in boston and he was very humble and gracious. Like some others have said i went in with small expectations and walked out happy.
  • idratherbeidratherbe Posts: 367
    stpmattb wrote:
    It's called a MEET and GREET, not SIT DOWN AND BECOME BEST FRIENDS.

LMAO

And this is why I heart Matt. Funny shit.

Although, of course, were I at a meet and greet, we would definitely become best friends. haaaaa yeah right. :D

Also, what Cosmo said.

~peace~
    Never allow someone to be your Priority,
    While allowing yourself to be their Option.

‹^›_‹(ô¿ô)›_‹^›

Please visit daily: www.theanimalrescuesite.com
This discussion has been closed.