it sounds really good. Like monster !
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • SOLAT319 wrote:
    that's a really good song. I bet Mr. Vedder is secretly jealous by now :-P You know, on the outside, he's probably all like "ah awesome REM released a rocking song" but inside, he's probably going "oh man I wish I had written that song!"

Sorry but I don't get that. This song is much less heavy/rocking than any of the rock songs on Avocado. :confused:
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Wicked, cheers for the heads up! This bodes pretty well for the record.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Sorry but I don't get that. This song is much less heavy/rocking than any of the rock songs on Avocado. :confused:
    yes, you're right.
    I didn't get the post above. it makes no sense...
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Julien wrote:
    yes, you're right.
    I didn't get the post above. it makes no sense...

I think he just means that eddie would be jealous of the song in general. It's a good song a will be a great album.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Yeh I agree. It sounds a bit lame and unoriginal to me and I'm a big REM fan.
  • nuffingman wrote:
    Yeh I agree. It sounds a bit lame and unoriginal to me and I'm a big REM fan.

It's got promise but the chord structure's a bit familiar.. I've felt that about a few REM songs tbh. I ALMOST loved New Adventures but it was a little too 'easy' in places. I'm not sure if it's a favourite but I loved UP and I also love everything before New Adventures.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    It's got promise but the chord structure's a bit familiar.. I've felt that about a few REM songs tbh. I ALMOST loved New Adventures but it was a little too 'easy' in places. I'm not sure if it's a favourite but I loved UP and I also love everything before New Adventures.
    Yeh, I just felt that I've heard this sort of thing so many times. All REM fans have their favourites. I hated Monster but think Around the Sun is the best album they've ever done (think I'm in a minority here).
  • nuffingman wrote:
    Yeh, I just felt that I've heard this sort of thing so many times. All REM fans have their favourites. I hated Monster but think Around the Sun is the best album they've ever done (think I'm in a minority here).

I'm with you. I thought Monster was a turd of the album, but I thought Around The Sun was hit or miss at the worst. Leaving New York, I Wanted To Be Wrong, Boy In The Well, and Ascent of Man are all amazing tunes.

I don't get the hate for Leaving New York
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    leaving new york is awesome. end of matter

my favourite is adventures in hifi
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    pdalowsky wrote:
    my favourite is adventures in hifi
    my favorite too.
    Monster is second an Up is third..
  • wake up bomb from hi fi is great, ive always loved that album, ebow the letter is my fav REM song, weird i know..

as for this, this sounds good...i cant wait for the new album....im so stoked, in a big REM phase ever since the announcement of the tour!

document and the finest worksong is awesome too!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    The new song is okay...but it does feel like I've already heard it a million times. My favourite REM songs are the ones that have some emotional weight to them, hopefully there is some of that on the album.
  • finest worksong is awesome too!

Finest Worksong is one of favourites too, along with Fall On Me and Me In Honey.
  • The song is a great FIRST single because it shows they want to revisit some of there classic IRS sounds on this album.

Its alot like WWS on the Avocado in that regard.

I'm sure there will be alot more emotional songs on the record.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Be SoundBe Sound Posts: 199
    Finest Worksong is one of favourites too, along with Fall On Me and Me In Honey.
    LOVE LOVE LOVE Me In Honey
    Don't it make you smile
  • ebow the letter is my fav REM song

Mines too, FWENDZ!!

well....im dissapointed in the new single.
    S'cuse the shit name!
  • Be Sound wrote:
    LOVE LOVE LOVE Me In Honey

Good song.

I don't have one favorite R.E.M. song, I have several... Imitation of Life, All the Way to Reno, Leave, At My Most Beautiful, Try Not to Breathe, Drive, Driver 8, Pretty Persuasion, Fall on Me, Perfect Circle, and like 50 others.

Ok, Electrolite would be the one I'd pick if I was forced to.

I can't wait for the new cd and, (holds breath with cautious optimism), I may actually get to a show on this tour.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    Its alot like WWS on the Avocado in that regard.

Good call.
  • SOLAT319 wrote:
    It was supposed to be a joke :-)

Oh... really? Then my sarcasm radar wasn't working. My bad.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845

You've just now figured out that REM, like the Who and Neil Young have about 30 songs that sound the same?
  • You've just now figured out that REM, like the Who and Neil Young have about 30 songs that sound the same?

I think I just told you I figured that out a while ago.. my post was long-winded but that's what it said. ;) I like REM - they have a fair few unique songs (I just dedicated one) - but I can't listen to them a great deal because too much of it sounds the same.

• ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    fav rem album is new adventures with fav tracks being e-bow, walk unafraid, so. central rain, so fast, begin the begin, exhuming mccarthy so numb and life and how you live it. The new song is pretty good a lot better than any up or reveal tracks in my opinion. I thin ATS is underrated due ot the fact that final straw and ascent of man are both fine songs.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • i luv it how R.E.M. has to "dumb-down" their music for the masses for it to be popular again. it really dig this one anyway though