Spoon

MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Anyone here like this band from Austin, TX?

I think they are fabulous!! I haven't seen them live yet, missed them several times especially when I lived in Austin.:( But I hear they put on an AWESOME show!!

I love To Kill the Moonlight, such a great album. I love it how Britt Daniels incorporate a lot of instruments into his songs. And their new single, off of Gimme Friction, I Turn My Camera On, is one hell of a sexy ASS song :D makes me want to dance!

any thoughts on this great band, SPOON?
ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
"For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• freewheelin3freewheelin3 Posts: 173
    been listening to these guys for years, Girls can tell is still m favourite album.. the new one took a while to get me, i think my mathmatical mind is my fave track...

Great band, they are reasonably popular over here (australia) abd are touring australia in sept.. cant wait to see them again
  • tsopotelbatsopotelba Posts: 80
    I Turn My Camera On is one sexy sexy song. http://www.spoontheband.com (You can listen to it in the Bonus section.)
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    tsopotelba wrote:
    I Turn My Camera On is one sexy sexy song. http://www.spoontheband.com (You can listen to it in the Bonus section.)

When they were working on this album, I downloaded I Summon You, I must say, it is one of the most beautiful songs on there. I need to hear the final verison though:)

yeah, only 2 responses to Spoon!! They do deserve to be talked about b/c they are THAT good :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    So, after I buy Gimme Fiction, which album of theirs should I get?
    Girls Can Tell is a good one, as well as their last album, Kill the Moonlight. You won't be disappointed if you get either one. :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I only have Gimme Fiction however it is one of the better releases I have heard this year. I Turn My Camera On is indeed sexy as hell. I will be getting Kill the Moonlight, I have just heard too much about it not to.

I have Gimme Fiction here at work and it will get a spin or 2 before going home today.
    I still need to get Gimme Friction, but Kill the Moonlight is a masterpiece, i think. One of my favorite tracks off of that album is "all the pretty girls go to the city" that song just makes me want to step out and go for a night out on the town. :D It seems that on that album, they just let the tape roll, b/c on the last song, you can tell one of the guys messed up, but they restarted the song again:)

I love a band who puts their mistakes on tape :)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    I am now the proud owner of Gimme Fiction, and I'm liking it very much. I like his voice. I'll definitely get some more Spoon.
    :)
  • tmud91087tmud91087 Posts: 97
    just bought gimmie fiction and its very good
    5/24/06 - Boston
    5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08 - Mansfield
    6/30/08 - Mansfield
    8/2/08 - Eddie in Boston (FRONT ROW!)
    tsopotelba wrote:
    I am now the proud owner of Gimme Fiction, and I'm liking it very much. I like his voice. I'll definitely get some more Spoon.
    :)

Congrats!! :D His voice is amazing!! I *heart* Britt!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    *hit me like a tom*

LOVE this SONG!! It gives you that groovy feeling and makes you want to dance. "I turn my camera on"<---my favorite song by Spoon! :D

do you guys think that Spoon is evolving from album to album? b/c I would like to think so.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    Are there any other Spoon fans out there? :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Love Spoon. I saw them live last winter, and it was awesome. The drummer gave me one of his drums sticks and the hand-written set list on looseleaf. My favorite Spoon song is probably "Metal Deteker" or "Jonathan Fisk" or "The We Get By".
    Love Spoon. I saw them live last winter, and it was awesome. The drummer gave me one of his drums sticks and the hand-written set list on looseleaf. My favorite Spoon song is probably "Metal Deteker" or "Jonathan Fisk" or "The We Get By".

ooo you are SO lucky!! :D

i was listening to Kill the Moonlight, such a catchy album. Each song is different from the next. The drumming is amazing and makes the songs on the albums. :D

I hope they come back to San Francisco SOON!! I missed them when they were here last time and i missed them back in Austin:(
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    BUMP for the LOVE of Spoon :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    When they were working on this album, I downloaded I Summon You, I must say, it is one of the most beautiful songs on there. I need to hear the final verison though:)

Now maybe I Summon You is my favorite song on the album. Or maybe my favorite is still I Turn My Camera On. Either. But I Summon You is... just... a really beautiful/sad song.
    BUMP for Spoon!! :D

Just listened to Telephono and A Series of Sneaks...great albums and an awesome introduction to this great Austin band!!:)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • i had been vaguely familiar with the band, back in 2000 or so i downloaded "lines in the suit" from napster, dug it, even put it on a mix cd but never checked anything else out. saw "i turn my camera on" on mtv's subterranean and fuckin LOVED it. went out and bought "gimme fiction"... thought it was alright. gave it a few more spins. it started to grow. and grow. and grow. they happened to be playing some cheesy festival thingy at red rocks in denver (my first time at that venue) and the took the stage right as the sun went down. LOVED the show. i decided it was time to hear some more spoon, so i went to the store and remembered "lines in the suit" so i picked up "girls can tell". godDAMN what an incredible record. literally just as soon as it was done, i went back to the store and picked up "kill the moonlight" and "series of sneaks"... jesus fucking christ.... just amazing shit.... some of the best, most solid albums i've heard from an unknown-to-me band in YEARS. my girlfriend loves the albums too, so that's an added bonus. we're gonna go see em in columbia missouri in november.... should be killer.

spoon was one of the very best little musical surprises i think i've ever heard. classic.
  • i saw them at ACL this weekend. they were pretty cool. :)
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Well I just got Gimmie Fiction. It is the first album of theirs i have bought. Not thrilled by it immediatly but i'm not giving up. Perhaps it will grow on me.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • It took me a while to really hear Gimmee Fiction, but once I could, I loved it. I first heard their album Telephono (great album that seems to be forgotten by a lot of people) and their EP Soft Effects (amazing). I love the improvisational nature of this band's music. They throw in these random sounding riffs and they just fit perfectly. My Mathematical Mind is a perfect example of that.

I'm listening to Everything Hits at Once right now. One of my favorite songs of theirs. Kind of a sad song, but still great.
  • I love Britt Daniels's voice, still love I Turn My Camera On, still love I Summon You, Gimme Fiction is an excellent album, haven't bought any other albums of theirs but this post has reminded me, so next time I go to the record store I'm getting: Kinski, Fruit Bats, and Spoon.
    intodeep wrote:
    Well I just got Gimmie Fiction. It is the first album of theirs i have bought. Not thrilled by it immediatly but i'm not giving up. Perhaps it will grow on me.

Get Girls Can Tell...it is a catchy album...Anything You Want and Everthing Hits At Once(Splifftastic I agree w/you on that one very sad, 'I go to sleep to think that you are next to me':() are my favorites.

tsopotelba-Glad that you liked Gimme Fiction...it is a good album! have you picked up anything from them recently? and Britt's voice is VERY sexy!! :)

I just bought tickets for the Spoon show in San Francisco on the 16th, my FIRST Spoon show EVER!! I never got to see them when I lived in Austin at all:( but this is going to make up for all the sold out/procrasinating shows I missed back home :D WOHOOOHOOHOO. I also burned Gimme Fiction/Soft Effects EP for VEDHEAD27, a converted Spoon fan! :)

*starts playing "all the pretty girls go to the city" ;)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • mtildenmtilden Posts: 62
    Saw them at a free show in Boston last summer. I think they're coming back next weekend. I'll have to see them again.
    "Go fuck yourself"
    -Dick Cheney

"Are you taking over or are you taking orders"
    -Joe Strummer 1952-2002

"All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting."
    -George Orwell
    BUMP for SPOON!

listened to Gimme Fiction/Girls Can Tell/Soft Effects EP....

<~~~been on a Spoon fix for a while now :p

what a great combo of albums to listen to on a Sat. afternoon :)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Wait! I swear I responded to this already!! What in the?! :eek:

ANYways...:D

SPOON ROCKS!! Thanks to Meddledeal for exposing me to this greatness. Thanks for burning me those other albums too! I can't wait to hear them. I already know I won't be disappointed. :) It really was love at first listen with these boys and I just looooove it when that happens. I listen to Kill The Moonlight all the time! Love that album to pieces. This band definitely has that "certain special something"....the groove for damn sure! YES, amazing use of intruments..I agree Nadi. They're catchy, original, rockin, unique...just all around kick ass. I can't wait too see them NEXT MONTH for the first time. Wooohooo! :D

P.s. I Turn My Camera On is seriously SEX-Y! :o
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Picked up Series of Sneaks and Kill the Moonlight over the weekend. More love (again) for I Turn My Camera On............
    transplant wrote:
    Picked up Series of Sneaks and Kill the Moonlight over the weekend. More love (again) for I Turn My Camera On............

RIGHT ON!!! :D

That song is REALLY sexy and beautiful!! I Summon You, though,always gets to me, it is so poetic that it makes me want to cry each time I hear it.

And Lydia, I am glad that you liked this band!! At least someone else in the East Bay Area, knows who Spoon is!!:)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    hey all. I see you really like this band. Just wanted to let you know that they will be on a Toronto radio station tomorrow, Nov.1 Here is the link:

http://www.edge102.com/live/
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2