Guitar Solos that Give You CHILLS!!!

MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
edited July 2007 in Other Music
There are a lot of GREAT guitar solos out there that always gives me chills each time I listen to it. Whether it comes from a new band or an older band.

I could name 2 guitar solos that always does this to me, both of them, come from David Gilmour.

I know "Comfortably Numb' has been played a lot and is one of the MOST recognized Pink Floyd song EVER, but each time I hear this song on the radio, or like 2 nights ago, watching AOL Sessions with David Gilmour,I got a sudden chill when he launches into his solos! You hear the crisp guitar sound coming from his guitar that makes it very comforting. The other solo is Wish You Were Here. Anyone who can play a solo on an acoustic guitar and make it THAT emotional is truly a masterpiece. :)

I'll add more to the list, but I want to hear what you guys think :D
ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
"For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    can't you see by the marshall tucker band, such a great song and so simple and honest it's almost heartbreaking. by no means the most impressive solo ever, but a chilling one (for me) nonetheless.

i also think mike's black solos are pretty mind-blowing much of the time.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Audioslave - Original Fire....gives me chills - makes me feel ill :(

....guitar solos are boring
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • hands down - November Rain... :D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    at least thats' what you said
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • ok as cheesy as this may sound...I get chills when I hear Neal Schon's guitar solo in Wheel in the Sky, always have, just an awesome solo in my opinion. The other would be basically anything from Jerry Garcia. Perhaps it's because he's dead but I don't think so. When he was "on" meaning musically he was really pretty right on. I have a great cd of him playing at the Oregon St. Prison from 1982...great great stuff
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    Mike's Evenflow solo from the Touring Band DVD gives me chills. Very Hendrixian, very moving.

Lately its been Derek Trucks and his solos in Afro Blue and especially in Teri Badni/Maki Madni.

Hendrix's solos on Hear my Train a' Comin'

Paco de Lucia and Al di Meola on Entre dos Aguas

B.B. King on any of his real, real slow blues recordings from the 50's.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    Floods by Pantera gets me vote.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Maggot Brain
    November Rain
    Reptilia
    Little Wing
    Scar Tissue
    Black Magic Woman (Santana's version)

and of course... Why Go, GO, Satan's Bed, Down, Even Flow, Ledbetter, Sad, Once, Wishlist, Get Right, Daughter, Leash, Breakerfall, Habit and a few others ;)
  • momofglynn!! A Jerry Garcia fan!

He had so many amazing solos, and live when he was on, he could bring the whole crowd to tears.
    His solos on Morning Dew could do that. I Know You Rider, oh, I can't even count the solos! To me the sound of his guitar is like dear old friend coming to visit.

David Gilmour's solo on Time. Simple but so powerful!

Jimmy Page - Since I've been Loving You. His solos are so dramatic and almost on the edge of losing it, but he brings it back home.

Eric Clapton - Crossroads - from Wheels of Fire.

Jimi Hendrix - Wind Cries Mary is beautiful. Axis Bold as Love, that solo just is so satisfying to me at the end. Maybe a few hundred more, too. :)

Keith Richards - from the album version of Sympathy for the Devil. In your face!

Buddy Guy - Five Long Years. One of the greatest guitarists and still alive!

Oh man, I could be here all night! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I like a lot of Billy Corgan's solos too, the guitars in general on Siamese Dream were amazing.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Brian May - Bohemian Rhapsody

Kim Thayil - Tighter and Tighter

Alain Johannes - Steel Rain, Ava Tar

Marc Ford - Sometimes Salvation

David Gilmour - Time

Jimmy Page - Whole Lotta Love

Neil Young - I've Got Id
  • Jimi Hendrix - Earth Blues, first solo, Madison Square Garden, 28th January 1970
  • enharmonic wrote:
    Brian May - Bohemian Rhapsody

David Gilmour - Time

Neil Young - I've Got Id

Nice taste in Gilmour! :)

Oh man,,, I didn't even get to Neil!
    Like a Hurricane off Live Rust,
    and when we saw the Greendale tour, Crazy Horse came out for an hour and a half set after, and Cortez the Killer send shivers down my spine.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Carrie Brownstein - Lets Call It Love

(Whoever from The Knack) - My Sharona
  • Jimmy Page - I'm Gonna Crawl
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

-- Willy Wonka
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    Eric Clapton - Crossroads - from Wheels of Fire.
    :D

Oh yes! I agree! I'm So Glad gets me there also. Either the studion version or live.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    Carrie Brownstein - Lets Call It Love

Oh DEFINITELY! How could I forget about Carrie's solo in Let's Call It Love?! That solo, she lets it rip! That guitar solo is very strong and solid and she lets it roll along. I LOVE it! When I saw her play that solo she added her own touch to it. Very rockin'! :D
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Dave Gilmour in Comfortably Numb on Pulse, i love that version of the song, it keeps cranking right at the end
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    #1: All Along The Watchtower - Hendrix

#2: Rory Gallagher with I'm not awake yet.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Hendrix - Machine Gun (BOG)
    Zappa - Inca Roads
    Mike - Almost any solo from the 2000 tour

q
  • larslars Posts: 524
    anything with scorpions
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    at least thats' what you said

Yes! This one does it for me too.
    Cock Fight.
  • Peter Buck-Drive
  • Still In Love With You-Thin Lizzy.Brian Robertson rules:)
    Still Got The Blues For You-Gary Moore.The outro solo that this talented muthafucker IMPROVISED?!?!?!?!?!
    Voices-Dream Theater.Whoever says Petrucci's got no feel is deaf:)
    Stone In Love-Journey.Neal Schon is SO underrated
    Since Ive Been Loving You-Zep.The version on Song Remains The Same blows my mind every time.
    Jeez theres many more but those are the first ones i thought of
    Cornell pwns u
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Stairway to heaven - Led Zepplen
    Wake up- Mad season
    Cream- white room
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • sweet child o' mine, baby!~!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    Tek Money wrote:
    Yes! This one does it for me too.

i've never heard anything like it. Tweedy completely abuses his SG/whammy bar on that sucker.

My all time favorite guitar solo.

There's a ton of Neil solos that are up there too.

J. Mascis has a bunch too....Just Like Heaven, Out There, Kracked, etc, etc. One of the most underrated guitarists ever.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Ween - Buckingham Green

along with tons of Dean Ween's other solos.. this is just at the top of my head

If you haven't seen Ween live you are really missing out
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • almost every pink floyd and led zeppelin solo.

the kings of rock.
  • Dave Gilmour in Comfortably Numb on Pulse, i love that version of the song, it keeps cranking right at the end

Shit yeah.

Jimmy Page's solos in the version of No Quarter from the song remains the same. He rips up and down that fretboard. And Mike throwing in a bit or stairway in his Crazymary solo in Brisbane in 2003 was pretty awesome.

Mike has melted my face many times with his Even Flow solos, but its his solos in Black that give me chills.
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison