Which Bands do Pearl Jam fans give the LEAST amount of shit to?

2»

Comments

• Odin wrote:
    As a rule of thumb, any band that makes sleep-inducing music is an automatic favourite here.

The Arcade Fire. Yawn.

Radiohead. Yawn.

Decemberists. Snore.

Etc.
    If you loop Radiohead into sounding remotely like the arcade fire and decemberists than you have not listened to Radiohead.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    evenflow82 wrote:
    I like radiohead, but I have to completely agree with the arcade fire and decemberists. Most indie music bores me. Would it kill any of those bands to plug in, rock out and maybe do a guitar solo once in a while? Yeash.

That valencia song by the decemberists sounds like the lead singer is doing the stereotypical gay lisp. FYI to the band, it doesn't sound FAB-U-LOUS!!!

Yeah man - good point - where are the fucking guitar solos, eh???

any music that doesnt feature some good ol' fret board masturbation sure is BORING!!!!!

and that Valencia song is definitely flaming AND it has no guitar solo....YAWN
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • TwatayTwatay Posts: 64
    If you loop Radiohead into sounding remotely like the arcade fire and decemberists than you have not listened to Radiohead.

this is a true statement, worth quoting.
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    wcsmith wrote:

Alice in Chains - I don't remember anybody ever bashing them

I would say with the new Alice in Chains opinions are starting to change a little bit. Quite a few of us are not pleased about this "reunion."
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • I hate oasis, havent seen too much bashing, though.
    Yes, qotsa do kick ass.
    puts his faith in love and, tremor christ.

"I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback."
    I hate oasis, havent seen too much bashing, though.

I think they have received some negativity around here, probably not enough, but certainly some.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Todd76 wrote:
    Yeah man - good point - where are the fucking guitar solos, eh???

any music that doesnt feature some good ol' fret board masturbation sure is BORING!!!!!

and that Valencia song is definitely flaming AND it has no guitar solo....YAWN

I think you should hook up with death cab for cutie. I hear they're looking for an emo-dorable new member. Hopefully you're indie enough.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • evenflow82 wrote:
    I think you should hook up with death cab for cutie. I hear they're looking for an emo-dorable new member. Hopefully you're indie enough.
    zing.

Actually most of those indie bands really are boring as hell. They have no life in them whatsoever. And BTW Modest Mouse is NOT an indie band. they've been around for coming up on 2 decades, and they're unbelievably unique to themselves. MM is incredible and lively.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    evenflow82 wrote:

Thanks man - I think i'll look into that. I really hope i'm indie enough too.....I certainly should have earned ALOT of indie cred after forcing myself to listen to all this boring, wussy, flaming, guitar solo-less, emo-dorable music

I actually really like Death Cab For Cutie (and Modest Mouse)....BUT they'd both be alot better if they had more guitar solos!!!!!

.....I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more guitar solos
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    I hate oasis, havent seen too much bashing, though.
    Yes, qotsa do kick ass.

The Queens count is up to 3!
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Definitely Neil Young. Also, Bruce, the Who, probably Bono/U2, although I fucking hate him/them.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
    yosi wrote:
    Definitely Neil Young. Also, Bruce, the Who, probably Bono/U2, although I fucking hate him/them.

Nah, U2 gets plenty of hate.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Nah, U2 gets plenty of hate.

Well, I guess that I haven't noticed a lot of it. But I'm glad that they do (no offense to any fans).
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • QOTSA, the White Stripes, Smashing Pumpkins, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, the Mars Volta ....or at least I haven't noticed.
    En mi vida,
    el oscuro me mantiene
    cuando yo te vi
    en la lluvia me prometiste tu sangre

Estrella de la mañana
    Samael te persigo a ti
    y si me quedo sin alas
    ademas me muero por ti
    QOTSA, the White Stripes, Smashing Pumpkins, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, the Mars Volta ....or at least I haven't noticed.

Yeah it seems the general reaction to Nick Cave is either overwhelmingly positive or just neutral because people don't know them.

I also think that there is something to be said for what happens when bands aren't shoved down a person's throat. I don't think there would be as much hate for a lot of bands if they weren't on the radio 20 times a day. I know my opinion of the Chili Peppers would not have grown as negative as it has if they didn't play them every other hour on the radio and their new (shitty) material wasn't so fucking popular.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Todd76 wrote:
    Thanks man - I think i'll look into that. I really hope i'm indie enough too.....I certainly should have earned ALOT of indie cred after forcing myself to listen to all this boring, wussy, flaming, guitar solo-less, emo-dorable music

I actually really like Death Cab For Cutie (and Modest Mouse)....BUT they'd both be alot better if they had more guitar solos!!!!!

.....I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more guitar solos

You paint me as Ted Nugent. I just like my music with some life to it. I can only take so much mid tempo acoustic songs before I want something different. Conversely, this works the same for more aggressive music--I can only take so much before I would want a ballad or something slow. The day groups like death cab and the rest of the garden state soundtrack put out something different than their previous albums I'll certainly give it a listen.

For the time being though, with death cabs catalogue and an image like this, http://www.avclub.com/content/files/images/feature.article_2.jpg they don't really get me excited in any way, shape or form. I enjoy several indie bands, minneapolis has some great ones, but I think a lot of people have wondered when a lot of rock bands got so, well, wimpy. I don't consider Modest Mouse indie.

I've been a musician for the last 16 years also, and I do have a fever for guitar. I'm sure Mike McCready has it also.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Alex_Coe wrote:
    The Queens count is up to 3!

QOTSA added to the list!
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    I don't really see too much Faith No More bashing (as there shouldn't be)
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Definitely the White Stripes. A lot of people hail them as the second coming.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • On the rare occasion Social Distortion gets brought up they get a lot of love... and rightfully so
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • This is the list thus far:

Jimi Hendrix (I mean honestly who doesn't like this guy)
    the Beatles
    the Who
    Bob Marley
    Pink Floyd
    the Doors
    Alice in Chains
    Blind Melon (maybe???)
    Led Zeppelin
    Soundgarden (although I do see alot of "Cornell is overrated" talk)

New additions:
    REM
    Neil Young
    RHCP
    Bruce Springsteen
    My Morning Jacket
    NIN
    The band
    The Police
    QOTSA
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Nick Cave