Which Bands do Pearl Jam fans give the LEAST amount of shit to?

eddievedder1977eddievedder1977 Posts: 549
edited March 2007 in Other Music
IE, everyone obviously has their own likes and dislikes, and with a forum, many many bands get slammed on a daily basis. So which bands for the most part only get talked about in admiration?

Personally I would say you'd have to rule out any bands that PJ fans are divided on. Like DMB, Sleater Kinney, Metallica, etc. Some people love them, some people hate them. Then obviously rule out the bands that get the MOST shit like Nickleback, Creed, etc.

So who would qualify? Does Radiohead have enough supporters along with not too many haters? How about Wilco? I don't even know if we could qualify Nirvana cause there seems to be a decent percentage of people that find them overrated, not me, but certainly plenty of others from what I've read.

Some examples that I rarely hear negative talk about would be:
Jimi Hendrix (I mean honestly who doesn't like this guy)
the Beatles
the Who
Bob Marley
Pink Floyd
the Doors
Alice in Chains
Blind Melon (maybe???)
Led Zeppelin
Soundgarden (although I do see alot of "Cornell is overrated" talk)

Have at it.....

EDIT
Suggested additions:
REM
Neil Young
RHCP
Bruce Springsteen
My Morning Jacket
NIN
The band
The Police
QOTSA
Smashing Pumpkins
Nick Cave
White stripes
Social Distortion
Faith no More
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    RHCP I believe. I don't think I've really seen that much hatred towards them, other than the threads saying their shows aren't that good. I just think it's near impossible to HATE the chili peppers.
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    rem
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    SLH916 wrote:
    rem

for sure REM is clutch

bovy_j wrote:
    RHCP I believe. I don't think I've really seen that much hatred towards them, other than the threads saying their shows aren't that good. I just think it's near impossible to HATE the chili peppers.

A lot of those threads about how they are bad live keep going towards them sucking, I for one used to love them but the record is so redundent I stopped listening to thier back cat almost completly, although I did put by the way on at a work and it is a solid record.

Good call on Blind Melon original poster BTW
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • bovy_j wrote:

I loved Californiacation....but it was massively overplayed. Certainly not their fault though, its just good radio shit you know.

By the Way, was a bit of a let down, but still a reasonably good follow up.

Best album though in my opinion, Blood sugar sex magik. Too many awesome hits.

I thought about including them on the original list, but thought twice against it cause I thought I remembered a decent amount of bashing previously. Maybe not.
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    Good call on Blind Melon original poster BTW

Unfortunately mainstream media likes to lable them as a one-hit wonder, but I believe for the most part, pearl jam fans see through that bullshit and realize how incredible those guys were/are.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    The Who
    Neil Young
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • The Who
    Neil Young

Good call, I forgot Neil....and Bruce for that matter
  • any pearl jam related band.
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    As a rule of thumb, any band that makes sleep-inducing music is an automatic favourite here.

The Arcade Fire. Yawn.

Radiohead. Yawn.

Decemberists. Snore.

Etc.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    id agree with the wilco and blind melon assessments. i dont think ive ever seen anything bad written about either of them around here.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    def. the who, zeppelin, and hendrix. i haven't really hear anyone say anything bad about my morning jacket on here as well. also i'd probably throw in blind melon and radiohead
  • faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    seems like mostly positive comments about nine inch nails. pretty popular 'round these parts. and i love it.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• def. the who, zeppelin, and hendrix. i haven't really hear anyone say anything bad about my morning jacket on here as well. also i'd probably throw in blind melon and radiohead

MMJ is an interesting choice. They obviously haven't been around as long as most of the other bands, but I tend to agree with you, no one has really bashed them. They were a rather solid opening band. I'll put themup on the "suggested" additions.
  • seems like mostly positive comments about nine inch nails. pretty popular 'round these parts. and i love it.

Hmmmm, intersting call. Anyone want to bash NIN? :) Otherwise I'll put them up there on the list.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Unfortunately mainstream media likes to lable them as a one-hit wonder, but I believe for the most part, pearl jam fans see through that bullshit and realize how incredible those guys were/are.

well the thing is most people only know the one song (and it is an amazing song) a friend's GF was all into them and she worked at a record store so when he was courting I played a wingman of sorts and bought soup, great record, the new live one is fantastic too listened to it at work last night. But if it wasn't for this girl I never would have listened to them.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    well the thing is most people only know the one song (and it is an amazing song) a friend's GF was all into them and she worked at a record store so when he was courting I played a wingman of sorts and bought soup, great record, the new live one is fantastic too listened to it at work last night. But if it wasn't for this girl I never would have listened to them.

Sad but true. Sad but true. Too many great albums, great songs though, for me to consider them a one hit wonder.

Sent you a myspace add though, in recognition of good taste in music.
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    Hmmmm, intersting call. Anyone want to bash NIN? :) Otherwise I'll put them up there on the list.

the only "bashing" i can do at the moment is that they tease us with this
    f-ing kick ass new album (heard if for the first time last night-o.m.g.) knowing it will probably be fall before we get to hear them live in the U.S.
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    I've got some for ya:

Alice in Chains - I don't remember anybody ever bashing them
    The Band - don't know if anybody's mentioned them, but they seem fairly "un-bash-worthy"
    The Police - same as above
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • wcsmith wrote:
    I've got some for ya:

Alice in Chains - I don't remember anybody ever bashing them
    The Band - don't know if anybody's mentioned them, but they seem fairly "un-bash-worthy"
    The Police - same as above

AiC was on there, but I'll add the Police and the Band until someone bitches enough to get them off!
  • queens of the stone age? I always hear people praise them 'round here. Rightfully so IMO
    Something never thought you'd be part of
  • Blind Melon.
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    NIN suck :)
  • never hear a lot of negativity about R.E.M., Blind Melon, & Mark Lanegan/Screaming Trees. PJ fans have great taste imo. I could do without all of the Audioslave discussions but that is a minor complaint & music is subjective
  • larslars Posts: 524
    bovy_j wrote:
    I´ll fix that. RHCP used to be an innovative original band with Blood sugar sex magic being their peak and Californication their mountain....but what happened: I hate double albums cuz you know more than half of the tunes stink. In this case RHCP have managed to make an entire double album with pure soulless popshit. I respect the musicianship and history of the band but stadium arcadium needs to be assaulted for this sing-a-long blabber.
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    " Which Bands do Pearl Jam fans give the LEAST amount of shit to?"

The ones that Eddie Vedder likes

ZING!
  • muppet wrote:

ZING!

For the most part maybe. But I would say the camp is rather split over Sleater Kinner and Ed loves them.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    queens of the stone age? I always hear people praise them 'round here. Rightfully so IMO

Yes, Queens+Kyuss = Incredibleness-ocity
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Odin wrote:
    As a rule of thumb, any band that makes sleep-inducing music is an automatic favourite here.

The Arcade Fire. Yawn.

Radiohead. Yawn.

Decemberists. Snore.

Etc.

If these bands are sleep inducing to you , you must be a WALKING SEDATIVE in the first place!
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    muppet wrote:

ZING!

Eddie loves Robert Pollard, Wolfmother and Sonic Youth, but a lot of people on the board don't seem to love them too much.

I've seen a few people mention that they basically like MMJ, but that they are inconsistent live.

Did anyone mention Kings of Leon? I haven't noticed anyone who doesn't like them.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    eclectic wrote:
    If these bands are sleep inducing to you , you must be a WALKING SEDATIVE in the first place!

I like radiohead, but I have to completely agree with the arcade fire and decemberists. Most indie music bores me. Would it kill any of those bands to plug in, rock out and maybe do a guitar solo once in a while? Yeash.

That valencia song by the decemberists sounds like the lead singer is doing the stereotypical gay lisp. FYI to the band, it doesn't sound FAB-U-LOUS!!!
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert