PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Cornell singing Billie Jean!

http://www.yahoo.com/s/563411
~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gus stillsgus stills Posts: 351
    He's been doing this for a while, among other covers. It's fantastic, in my opinion. Someone posted a link here a while back for an acoustic set in Sweden that he did, which includes this, TOTD tracks, some Soundgarden/Audioslave, and both Marley and Costello covers as well. Worth doing a search for, it's become one of my favorite boots.
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    edited April 2011
    Post edited by PJ_Lukin on
  • It's not that bad. It is kinda cool. And yes I like Tesla's cover of Thank You too.
    My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day.

Summerfest 95, 06 Alpine 92, 98, 00, 03 Chicago 95, 98, 00, 03, 06, 07 Grand Rapids 04, St. John's 05 Milwaukee 08
  • RedlegsRedlegs Posts: 160
    I don't think he's jumped the shark, but he definitely lost his edge.
  • korbykorby Posts: 298
    ya, the ladies and girls wanna hear him sing it. whatever. we dont gotta. but i probly will
    its ok
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    The version from Sweden he did solo is betetr than the one on Yahoo right now.
    Also his cover of "Thank You" was excellent.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • sustainediasustainedia Posts: 112
    i thought the same thing. then i heard the song. it is very impressive. send me an email and i'll send you an mp3. send the email to info at sundialproject.com

also, check out my band. http://www.sundialproject.com

thanks!
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Cornells version of Billie Jean will actually give you more respect to Michael Jackson. It's that good. Amazing.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
    Cornells version of Billie Jean will actually give you more respect to Michael Jackson. It's that good. Amazing.
    Michael Jackson deserves respect? He is more than likely a child molester.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    why should that change the fact that he is / was an amazing musician?? from what ive heard about his childhood, being fucked up was unavoidable...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    For his musical career/abilities, absolutely!
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    sgossard3 wrote:
    why should that change the fact that he is / was an amazing musician?? from what ive heard about his childhood, being fucked up was unavoidable...

I think that one can respect Michael Jackson's work and art, which in my opinion is unquestionable. The guy obviously has/had a shitload of talent.

However, respecting the guy is another thing altogether.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • That was bad ass. His voice actually sounded really strong.
  • pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    Say what you want about Michael, but Billie Jean is a GREAT song
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
  • korbykorby Posts: 298
    quit hating on chris, so what if he gave up the booze and shit. and if he "sold out" hes doing his thing and we get to listen to the music
    its ok
  • unforgivenunforgiven Posts: 378
    the gig from sweden is the best thing ive heard chris do in years, i love the concert and billy jean is amazing. i love the version of wide awake on it also
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    The Sweden gig was pretty cool, but his voice was sounding really hoarse, so he sounded like he was struggling a bit. His voice is 100 times better now. He sounds really good on Billy Jean, and the recent live performances of Say hello to heaven show exactly what he is still capable of.
  • PJ_Lukin wrote:
    Tagging Ben on the end of Rats is one thing, but this may be going a bit over board.

You should hear NIN's version of Jackson's 'Heal the World'.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    Tagging Ben on the end of Rats is one thing, but this may be going a bit over board.

Have you heard him sing it? I have. It works amazingly well. Even the words of the song have more meaning when he sings it.

Don't knock it until you hear it.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

you really dont like michael jacksons old stuff?
  • I like it.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • the unplugged in sweden version of billie jean is incredible...i think chris has said by himself somewhere that he wanted to cover this song in the way johnny cash covered songs (and imo he is allowed to say that because johnny covered chris;))...it's true
    i don't like micheal jackson but he wrote some perfect pop songs and billie jean is one of them...(pop songs are not bad because they are pop songs!)
    "now i've got room to spread my wings and my messages of love...yeah love was my drug but that's not what i died of"

"I don't wanna think, I wanna feel"

"Go then, there are other worlds than these!" - Jake Chambers

09/02/2005 Vancouver
    09/23/2006 Berlin
    06/21/2007 Düsseldorf
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i think that occurred when he decided to start modeling jeans... attempting to have his looks sell albums his music can't.
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    gus stills wrote:
    He's been doing this for a while, among other covers. It's fantastic, in my opinion. Someone posted a link here a while back for an acoustic set in Sweden that he did, which includes this, TOTD tracks, some Soundgarden/Audioslave, and both Marley and Costello covers as well. Worth doing a search for, it's become one of my favorite boots.
    the sweden set was amazing. billie jean and redemption song are two of the best covers i've ever heard. and i think anyone who saw him last night in philly will agree he hasn't "lost his edge".
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I remember when his voice sounded so damaged when he sang with PJ doing Hunger Strike, but here he sounds great. Gives you new respect for a song, done so differently. (I liked the MJ version but this stands up in its own right)
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    unforgiven wrote:
    the gig from sweden is the best thing ive heard chris do in years, i love the concert and billy jean is amazing. i love the version of wide awake on it also

spin chillingly good.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    justam wrote:
    Have you heard him sing it? I have. It works amazingly well. Even the words of the song have more meaning when he sings it.

Don't knock it until you hear it.
    I heard it and don't like it.

Imagine... Creed or DMB or RHCP or countless others covering a Michael Jackson song. Where would that go on this board I wonder.

There wouldn't be a double standard here now would there be?
  • I fuckin cant stand his version of this song. The michael jackson original from thriller cannot be beat EVER!! Its almost as Chris Cornell is now a parody of himself and can cover any song (regardless of the genre or the artist) and sing it in his steretypical chris cornell way. I will give you the fact that his pipes are up to par with cornell circa 10-12 years ago, which should be commended because when SG was touring DOTUS through the second half of the audioslave second outing you could hear the damage and strain done to his vocals and could tell it was mostly protools doing the work.

hopefully the material on the solo album will speak for itself when it comes out and will vindicate the fanboys or the haters
  • I think the cover's pretty good, still prefer the original though; Jackson is a superb musician.
  • PJ_Lukin wrote:

I'm cool with it as long as he doesn't try the moon walk.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-