2»

Comments

• nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    I fuckin cant stand his version of this song. The michael jackson original from thriller cannot be beat EVER!! Its almost as Chris Cornell is now a parody of himself and can cover any song (regardless of the genre or the artist) and sing it in his steretypical chris cornell way.
    the local radio station just played an interview with him from friday. he talked a lot about doing covers. said basically the point of a cover is to add something to it that is not in the original, like how johnny cash did with rusty cage or hurt. said when he covers a song he wants the listener to feel something they might not have heard originally. for me, that mission was accomplished with his cover of billie jean.
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    I'm cool with it as long as he doesn't try the moon walk.
    that should be left to the professionals, like donovan mcnabb. ;)
  • RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    i like the cover.
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    i think that occurred when he decided to start modeling jeans... attempting to have his looks sell albums his music can't.

true. Just look at the 20 photos of his face in the Euphoria Morning cover. I hate to hate on Cornell though. It feels sacreligious. his setlists look sweet from his new tour. I just hope ed does the right thing when he splits, even if it means selling twenty thousand copies
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I thought it was a great cover to be honest.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • nfanel wrote:
    that should be left to the professionals, like donovan mcnabb. ;)

Ha! That was not a moon walk. I'm not sure what exactly Donovan was doing?
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I think the studio version of Billie Jean was played on radio today, among other songs. Check http://www.audioslaved.com. I think it's absoutely amazing although the first verse sounds a bit clunky and isn't as good as the live version.
  • The cover is fucking great. But Im an old head, when your younger sometimes its hard to get over shit like MJ.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Mohab wrote:
    true. Just look at the 20 photos of his face in the Euphoria Morning cover. I hate to hate on Cornell though. It feels sacreligious. his setlists look sweet from his new tour. I just hope ed does the right thing when he splits, even if it means selling twenty thousand copies

Psssh, nothing against Ed, but if he goes on a solo tour, it will be nothing but anti war/anti bush songs and covers he'll forget to the lyrics to.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • i love the original bille jean, so i'm not crazy about cornell's cover, but i fail to see how this makes him "jump the shark".

his version of thank you and redemption song are pretty damn good though.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • The Michael Jackson song is great and Cornell does it very very well. Great cover. 8.5/10
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • The Michael Jackson song is great and Cornell does it very very well. Great cover. 8.5/10

wazzup dude

anyhow to the other replies give Ed some fucking credit where its due, Ed stays more than true to his fans and his band, it obviously means more to Ed to be in a band than chris and as great as his show was last night I would take Ed in pj anyday over this mini crhis tour

no more shows
  • wazzup dude

anyhow to the other replies give Ed some fucking credit where its due, Ed stays more than true to his fans and his band, it obviously means more to Ed to be in a band than chris and as great as his show was last night I would take Ed in pj anyday over this mini crhis tour
    word.

But considering how turblulent SG was Chris solo might be best for him, esp. at this point in his career. Ed's a different charecter than Chris.. I can see Ed playing in Pearl Jam his entire life easily.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • word.

But considering how turblulent SG was Chris solo might be best for him, esp. at this point in his career. Ed's a different charecter than Chris.. I can see Ed playing in Pearl Jam his entire life easily.

yes, solo is good for him, but it is what it is, you gotta give props were deserved.

that show was great btw

no more shows
  • im sorry but we all know ed pretty much has the other guys whipped, which is why he prob wont ever leave pearl jam. ;)

and also, he isnt as good a songwriter or singer as cornell. though i do think he is a better lyricist in places, so a solo career isnt the best idea. Like someone else said, it would be anti bush covers, like a bob dylan tribute.

audioslave didnt work out because cornell wasnt prepared to be the next zak de la rocha and doesnt need tom timmy and brad half as much as they needed him, at least not at the end of the band's career. You can hear the tensions in the songs, how basically cornell had to restrict his songwriting to incorporate the same morello solo about 50 times.

and the billie jean cover is excellent, esp the unplugged version, i dont really see how this constitutes jumping the shark...
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    And to be yourself, is all that you can be.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    And to be yourself, is all that you can be.

:rolleyes:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    :rolleyes:

:) You would have loved reading some of my college work, I actually quoted this song in that as well as others from the Cornell, Vedder, Cobain song books.:)
    :) You would have loved reading some of my college work, I actually quoted this song in that as well as others from the Cornell, Vedder, Cobain song books.:)

maybe i would have. :) hell even i have quoted eddie vedder in class. and we were studying henrik ibsen at the time.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    maybe i would have. :) hell even i have quoted eddie vedder in class. and we were studying henrik ibsen at the time.

With Counselling disscussion and applying it to various theorys and such it was just too easy to incorporate, my teacher who I get on quite well with said it was the first time she had a pupil do that, but was impressed as she was very much a music person, at the end of the year I mixed her a cd using all the song's I had quoted.:)
    With Counselling disscussion and applying it to various theorys and such it was just too easy to incorporate, my teacher who I get on quite well with said it was the first time she had a pupil do that, but was impressed as she was very much a music person, at the end of the year I mixed her a cd using all the song's I had quoted.:)

ah what a suck up!! :p hope you got a good mark. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    ah what a suck up!! :p hope you got a good mark. :)

I'd already passed the course, lol.:)
  • send me that, sounds relly interesting. i wanted to do the whole kurt murser theory thing for a dissertation but the bastards wouldnt let me!
  • Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    This cover is amazing
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,091
    This cover is amazing

I agree. :)
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
  • Vedder1029Vedder1029 Posts: 179
    Anybody going to see Chris tonight in Baltimore??? I'll be there with my EV pick t-shirt....
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • im sorry but we all know ed pretty much has the other guys whipped, which is why he prob wont ever leave pearl jam. ;)

and also, he isnt as good a songwriter or singer as cornell. though i do think he is a better lyricist in places, so a solo career isnt the best idea. Like someone else said, it would be anti bush covers, like a bob dylan tribute.

audioslave didnt work out because cornell wasnt prepared to be the next zak de la rocha and doesnt need tom timmy and brad half as much as they needed him, at least not at the end of the band's career. You can hear the tensions in the songs, how basically cornell had to restrict his songwriting to incorporate the same morello solo about 50 times.

and the billie jean cover is excellent, esp the unplugged version, i dont really see how this constitutes jumping the shark...

opinions, so here is mine.

Ed is just as good a songwriter as there is.
    Chris has the deep baritone thing going but also has a lot more range than Ed, its fact, chris can do more when he wants. But I think Ed shows more emotion than Chris does and Eds lyrics are more interesting, just listen to footsteps compparred to times of trouble, opinions aside Ed adds more to that song than chris with his emotion and songwriting.
    As far as the audioslave comments it is pretty obvious what happened there isnt it.
    The rage guys got a free pass on that one, not as much as 1 comment on the breakup.
    They are the ones that fucked that up now that I have had time to think about it, After the talks with zach chris was prob like owell Im moving on, and he did, that band was healthy on the last tour.
    Now as far as all of the people giving ED NO CREDIT. ANTI BUSH COVERS OR A DYLAN TRIBUTE.
    I am fucking choking on air over here.
    Ed is capable of writing songs in pearl jam but isnt capable of a solo album or tour.

OR ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT FRED DURST.

Ed has the money, the friends, the knowledge and the balls to do what he wants, regardelss of you liking the music or the politics please tell me you guys are kidding about Ed doing tribute shows.
    Fucking stone did a great solo album ande he doesnt have half the balls as ed

no more shows
  • Vedder1029 wrote:
    Anybody going to see Chris tonight in Baltimore??? I'll be there with my EV pick t-shirt....

yes we are, i will wear my

ahh ill let you know

no more shows
  • opinions, so here is mine.

Ed is just as good a songwriter as there is.
    Chris has the deep baritone thing going but also has a lot more range than Ed, its fact, chris can do more when he wants. But I think Ed shows more emotion than Chris does and Eds lyrics are more interesting, just listen to footsteps compparred to times of trouble, opinions aside Ed adds more to that song than chris with his emotion and songwriting.
    As far as the audioslave comments it is pretty obvious what happened there isnt it.
    The rage guys got a free pass on that one, not as much as 1 comment on the breakup.
    They are the ones that fucked that up now that I have had time to think about it, After the talks with zach chris was prob like owell Im moving on, and he did, that band was healthy on the last tour.
    Now as far as all of the people giving ED NO CREDIT. ANTI BUSH COVERS OR A DYLAN TRIBUTE.
    Ed is capable of writing songs in pearl jam but isnt capable of a solo album or tour.

Ed has the money, the friends, the knowledge and the balls to do what he wants, regardelss of you liking the music or the politics please tell me you guys are kidding about Ed doing tribute shows.

Go listen to Like Suicide or fell on black days and tell me Cornell has no feeling in his songs!
  • Ed is just as good a songwriter as there is.

hi there.

1. i said i do think ed is a better lyricist in places than cornell. its down to how it affects you personally. chill.
    2. we seem to agree wholeheartedly on the audioslave break up. yay!
    3.ed shows more emotion than chris? er, have you heard zero chance? or, for that matter, euphoria morning? wide awake? getaway car? cop killer cover? any of his songs at all?
    this is not to say ed isnt an emotional guy-he clearly is and his songs are very moving, poignant. but so are Cornells. same goes for live performances
    4. no i am not talking about fred durst. what i am suggesting is that if ed's solo career would be so great,then why hasnt he done it already?
    5. because he has pearl jam, a band he has managed to lead, by their own free admission, for the whole time he has been in it.

okaay?