Synergy Music Club (SMC) Round 4!

transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
edited February 2006 in Other Music
Ok folks, time for Round 4.

What is the SMC? A music club where the primary focus is to introduce new music. Those that participate, once a week 1 member uploads a CD to a specific Gmail account for the rest of the members to download and critique. In turn, the member starts a thread with the title SMC: (album name) ~ (artist) and introduces the piece of music. Then the discussion begins. If you want some examples, do a search on SMC: and you will quickly get the picture.

There is absolutely no genre excluded. In fact pushing the boundaries is the goal. We have had just about everything thrown out the first 3 rounds minus metal (which I plan to change). This is the time to pimp your favorite unknown band.

To note, you do not need to participate every week however it is more fun the more people get involved. Examples of bands over the previous 3 rounds (off the top of my head)....

Clann Zu
Powderfinger
Augie March
Black Heart Procession
Garage a Trois
Sandra Black
Art Brut
Saul Williams
Bob Mould
Girls Against Boys
Jose Gonzales
Mountain Goats
Esthero
M. Ward
Gogol Bordello
Adorable
Ane Brun
Andrew Bird
Poe
Blue Rodeo
Lemonheads
Blonde Redhead
All Night Radio
Dungen
Krenshaw
the Weakerthans
Rocket Science
Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan
the Baker Brothers

If you don't recognize many of these, that is the whole point. So kick it around, the more the merrier. If this is something you would like to partake in, respond to this thread. If you have any questions, respond someone will be able to answer them. I have had a blast doing this as have many who have participated in it. Hope to see everyone back plus some new blood.

Cheers.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i'm back in, i found too much awesome music through you guys to back out now.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    I need a new pick URGENTLY!!
    Really...
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I am all up in this and will upload as many albums as you want me to.

we have also had the weakerthans and krenshaw
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • i'm up for this round since i have more time on my hands.

in rounds one and two i did All Night Radio and Dungen

another rule is that we have to be able to purchase this album nationally (as in dont pick your garage rock neighbors album from down the street)

and although you can pick any album you think is cool, its a lot more fun when you pick a relatively unknown album because the whole point of this club is to learn new and different music. So try to venture away from the new strokes album or Alice in Chains: Dirt.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Let's do this, Rockapella.
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    I've been behind a few times lately, but I definitely can't back out either. I love the SMC. :)

VEDHEAD's ordering another round!
    :D
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Echoes wrote:
    I am all up in this and will upload as many albums as you want me to.
    well, it wouldn't piss me off if you threw one up there until we get Round 4 settled.

updated my original thread to include bands mentioned that I could not think of at the time.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I am totally down! I'm not sure exactly what to do yet, but I definitely have a few bands in mind that I would love to upload for all of you!
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
    transplant wrote:
    well, it wouldn't piss me off if you threw one up there until we get Round 4 settled.

Hey, I'd be glad to do that as well!!!

Something in Spanish to start melting even language.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

barcoach wrote:
    Hey, I'd be glad to do that as well!!!

Something in Spanish to start melting even language.
    fine by me!
    yosi wrote:
    I am totally down! I'm not sure exactly what to do yet, but I definitely have a few bands in mind that I would love to upload for all of you!
    you will get briefed later but basically I am assuming 10 or so will be participating. When it isn't your turn, once you see an SMC: post pop up, just go out to the gmail account (which I'll pm you the info) and download the current selection, listen and comment.

when it is your turn, zip up (or rar) a Cd (in mp3 format preferably but others have used wma) to the gmail account using http://www.yousendit.com. Start your SMC: thread and wait for the comments. Do your part to keep the thread alive as at times they fall to page 2 and 3 quickly.

It must be noted again, if you put up the new Strokes or something Cornell related, you will get a virtual ass kicking :D
    Got it. Sounds fucking awesome.

And don't worry, I won't put anything like the Strokes up (I personally hate them and any new punk kind of stuff). Mine will be way different from that, and a lot more "worldly" or branched out! Totally excited to get this started. I love spreading cool music.
  • transplant wrote:
    when it is your turn, zip up (or rar) a Cd (in mp3 format preferably but others have used wma) to the gmail account using http://www.yousendit.com. Start your SMC: thread and wait for the comments. Do your part to keep the thread alive as at times they fall to page 2 and 3 quickly.

i personally don't mind either, but i heard that people on mac's prefer .zip files... so if you can try to keep it to mp3 and zip...
    YSI is a good way to share the files but there are also other sites that offer the same service and if all else fails there's always the possibility of emailing the files directly to gmail...
    but newbies don't worry... someone's always going to help you out...

can't wait for round 4! bring it on! :D
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
    Hey, I have an album already ripped for all of you, but will need the help of Mac users concerning compressing. When I decompress your files at work I use this software called stuffit, now someone told me I need kind of a different stuffit software when it comes to compressing. So, I went and looked at stuffit's web page and they only give you a free trial version to compress if you give your credit card number, something I don't wanna do. so, I'd like to know if someone knows about other alternative to compress from a Mac computer without having to give a credit card number, if anyone knows and replies soon, I could upload you this album pretty soon, just to have some fun until 4th. round starts properly. Give me a hand with this, I'm just so unfamiliar with Mac's.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

I just skip Stuffit and I downloaded a Zip software package that is Mac compatable. ZipIt I 'think' it is called. I am still at work so I can't verify.
    transplant wrote:
    I just skip Stuffit and I downloaded a Zip software package that is Mac compatable. ZipIt I 'think' it is called. I am still at work so I can't verify.

Got it, transplant, thanks!!
    Unfortunately this unpredictable machine doesn't allow me to upload to YSI, weird 'cause in the morning didn't have trouble. Tomorrow morning I'll try to put it there for you, 'cause right now is time to leave work, and I gotta take advantage of that...
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• Wow, we're already in round 4!! I'm definitely in. :)

Don't forget my Baker Brothers choice, too. ;)

Got some nice funk ready for you guys!
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • well, you know i'm in.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    I would like to partake in this venture if I could. :)
    On the pro-side, I'm Norwegian and have access to all kinds of music you most probably havent heard before. :)

So how does this work? Do I get a pm if I'm in or something?

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
    I would like to partake in this venture if I could. :)
    On the pro-side, I'm Norwegian and have access to all kinds of music you most probably havent heard before. :)

So how does this work? Do I get a pm if I'm in or something?

Peace
    Dan
    cool! you are in. I'll send you a PM with the gmail account info. just post up if you have any questions.
    So when does this start?
    hi, to all the SMC inhabitants (old and new)
    I've just uploaded something to start warming up things for round 4.
    I've chosen something kind of out of the parameters of the SMC... for first instance this is from a band well known in Latinamerica, though maybe not that much for the rest of you, they're Soda Stereo and back in the 80's and 90's they used to pack arenas and stadiums in this part of the continent, they're one of the best bands that have came out from Argentina and they're a total legend in Mexico, Central and South America.
    The other way in which this selection is different to the SMC standards is this isn't a studio album, but a live one. This is the recording of their (un)plugged session for MTV Latinamerica. The reason why I chose this record is first, it's one of the finest hours of this band, with some amazing arrangements to songs from their back catalog, I remember watching them live a few days before this performance in Mexico City, where they premiered this arrengements and being totally fascinated by the Floyd taste they put in La Ciudad de la Furia (here in a duet with Andrea Echeverri, singer to another recommended band from Colombia, Los Aterciopelados) and the acoustic treatment to Un Misil En Mi Placard, they sounded so polished and delighting. The second reason for chosing this record is that it gives a good scope on Soda Stereo's work for the new listener, aside of being a very personal interpretation of the unplugged concept, you'll notice the songs aren't played completely acoustic, but just with some acoustic undertones, not leaving behind the electricity that always was an important part in Soda Stereo's music, I remember the singer and leader Gustavo Cerati saying "everyone thinks just because you play acoustic, that makes it more intimate, and you have to be like in a seat and quiet... well, we don't believe in any of that."
    The unplugged performance is completed at the end with a few studio tracks that have a clear atmospheric sound to it. These would be the last studio recordings the band would release. Shortly after Comfort y Musica para volar (Comfort and Music to Fly) was released, the band disbanded and did a farewell tour through Argentina, Chile and Mexico, from where a double live album was recorded. They're a presence greatly missed since they departed, Gustavo Cerati continues releasing records of his own (even having time to produce the hottie Shakira), Zeta Bosio, bass player, has been producing argentinean bands, while Charly Alberti has been focused on the computers biz.
    Soda Stereo was always a pop band with wide musica skills, based on Cerati's vision and direction. When they released Dynamo -in my opinion, their masterwork- around 92, 93, after a long break, I remember Cerati saying in an interview "pop has been treated like a bastard, we're back to revert that". His guitar playing is really fine I think, and his vocals sensual and fill with passion. I always thought they had like a very European sound. The lyrics, though I guess most of you won't understand 'em, are just like images that kind of lack sense but they come to form a landscape for imagination together.
    Forget they sing in spanish, for me they're just one of the best bands ever... Latin American or not...
    Hope you enjoy it.

Track list goes as follows:
    1. En la ciudad de la furia (In the city of fury)
    2. Un misil en mi placard (A missil at my placard)
    3. Pasos (Steps)
    4. Entre canibales (Among canibals)
    5. Te para tres (Tea for three)
    6. Angel electrico (Electric angel)
    7. Ella uso mi cabeza como un revolver (She used my head as a revolver)
    8. Sonoman
    9. Planeador (Glider)
    10. Coral
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

yosi wrote:
    So when does this start?
    If nobody has any objections, I say we give it until the end of the week to gather participants and kick things off on Monday.

until then, grab barcoach's selection that is out now.
  • bump, lets get some more people in here.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
    bump, lets get some more people in here.
    it would be nice to get a few more. at least we do have a very solid base of folks though. it is always interesting to hear what the new people select, I look forward to that.

barcoach, digging the hell out of that Soda Stereo. Very crisp. Any idea how the band name came about? it just seems...odd, out of place?
    transplant wrote:

barcoach, digging the hell out of that Soda Stereo. Very crisp. Any idea how the band name came about? it just seems...odd, out of place?

yeah, it's a cool name, isn't it?
    What I heard in an interview is that they were trying to get a name that would make it hard to define the style of music they played... must be said they came out around 1982 that was a very tense political time for Argentina, the Flakland Islands War was going and English music didn't receive much airplay, and a lot of the bands at the time were trying to address political issues... Soda Stereo came as a reaction to that, they didn't want to talk about politics because on their view this affected the music making it solemn, gray, depressing... their songs talked about ordinary life, some of them were even funny like one that dealt about having a girlfriend with big muscles, they talked about telepathy and afrodisiacs... almost everything but zero politics...
    So, from what I know, they were searching for a name as non-political as possible... then some guy in the group said "maybe something with Stereo"... they started to play with words and someone came out with Soda Stereo... the name was catchy, it really didn't tell you much about what kind of music the group could be playing, and it was two english words... kind of a blasphemy for the artists working heavy on politics during the Falkland Islands War, but also a defy to the gobernment -since they had forbidden must english sung music- and the announcement of a younger generation on the Argentinean rock scene.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

bumpin' for all the SMC'ers.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

Ok, as of now, how does everyone feel about the order?

transplant
    echoes
    barcoach
    psycosmic
    vedhead27
    burnin-candle
    trappedinmyradio
    thebetterman
    andyslash
    mookeywrench
    yosi
    outofbreath

12 people, 13 if viggs can make his way back in. Still time if you are interested, just let me know so I can add you. If somebody is itchin' to go, feel free to trade places with me. If I don't hear anything, I'll put the first selection up sometime on Monday. should be another very solid round.

have a great weekend folks.
  • ouch...bumped from second to 3rd from last
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Oh shit I am up for this like mad. I'll probably skip week one due to studying for midterms (3 next week) but I will be all OVER the rest of it
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");