Synergy Music Club (SMC) Round 5

transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Ok, let's get this thing started.

The point of the SMC is share music that you enjoy with others that may not have heard before. No genres are excluded, nor do they have to be recent releases. This can't be stressed enough. The point is to put something out there that may challenge somebody.

How it works? We have a SMC Gmail account that is shared. Once a week a member puts their pick up, via http://www.yousendit.com preferably in mp3 format to the shared account. Once it is there, the member then starts the SMC thread. SMC: (album name) ~ (artist) with an explanation of why you picked it, band profile, album review link etc..... and that will tell the rest to go download it.

Then discussion begins regarding the pick. Even if you don't have much to say regarding the selection, say it anyway. Keep the thread going. We have had plenty of fine discussions and many where people have really gotten into the pick and dissected it.

Now, you of course aren't required nor expected to download every pick. It is certainly encouraged and makes this little club MUCH more enjoyable but clearly understandable when you miss weeks. You do what you can.

So go as obscure as you want. If you want an idea of the music that has been posted in the past, do a search on SMC in this forum and you will get the idea pretty quickly.

Anybody who wishes to participate is welcome. If there are questions, post them up here as there are plenty of people around who know how this works.

Who's in?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I'm always up for hearing some new music, though I stay 99% in the rock genre
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    what' s the order?

Last round was pretty good. I still listen to the Wrens/Cloud Cult/High On Fire
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    I'm in.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    Sign me up...
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I'm always up for hearing some new music, though I stay 99% in the rock genre
    well as long as you are willing to give something other than the rock genre a try, if you want in, say the word. I have to be honest though, we haven't really had too many straight up rock picks.
    Echoes wrote:
    what' s the order?
    I tried last time to do it according to rounds participated though I think I screwed that up a little. I say if you have a preference, let me know what it is, if you don't care, let me know that as well. I will obviously pick those that have participated in the most rounds priority.

cool?
  • I'm definetly in.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    i'm in
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Count me in.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    can i be part of it?

i am on the mood for some different music.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    transplant wrote:
    I tried last time to do it according to rounds participated though I think I screwed that up a little. I say if you have a preference, let me know what it is, if you don't care, let me know that as well. I will obviously pick those that have participated in the most rounds priority.

cool?

cool. in like sin.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    i'd like to get in on this
  • psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    i'm in!

still listening to the wrens album a lot...
    think i'm going to give you guys some german music this time around...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
    brhf9 wrote:
    can i be part of it?
    of course you can. so far we have:

transplant
    ledvedderman
    Echoes
    StoneG82
    NakedClown
    Pearl Jam and toast
    mookeywrench
    viggs20
    brhf9
    deadmosquito
    psycosmic

I figured we would let this run until Monday? and then we can finalize order etc.. Anyone out there want to put a 'interim' pick up?
  • psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    transplant wrote:
    Anyone out there want to put a 'interim' pick up?

i can if you want me to...
    non-english language albums usually don't go down that well with the crowd, so it might be a good interim pick...
    i remember, last time, barcoach put up a spanish album as interim listening...

so expect some german grunge in a couple of hours! :D
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
    psycosmic wrote:
    so expect some german grunge in a couple of hours! :D
    perfect.
    in light of the interim pick, I figured we would draw this out for a couple more days, perhaps close it up on Wednesday? anybody care?
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Can we comment even if we're not in the group?
    Pegasus wrote:
    Can we comment even if we're not in the group?
    As far as I am concerned, absolutely.
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    Oh yeah, I'm in for all of Round 5. Sign me up!
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    transplant wrote:
    in light of the interim pick, I figured we would draw this out for a couple more days, perhaps close it up on Wednesday? anybody care?

i'm ok with that. need to replace my soundboard 1st...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    I'm still in, though I've been MIA the last few ones. :/ I always read the threads, at least.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Echoes wrote:
    Cloud Cult

I'm still amazed that I hadn't heard of them until it was uploaded here. I really feel like I missed out since they're local.

Speaking of, they're playing the "Pizza Luce Block Party" later this summer, which just happens to take place less than a block from my house.

I still listen to Sandra Black, Shugo Tokumaru, Christine Fellows and the SMC1000 mix a lot.
  • whoa, I've been away lately, and been missing some action! Sorry guys, but I have been checking the albums!;)

Anyway, I'm in. (if I'm allowed back in) Put me towards the end of that list. :)

Maybe I'll go away from some funk this time....or maybe not. lol
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
    Maybe I'll go away from some funk this time....or maybe not. lol
    I dunno man, I count on you to expand my jazz/funk collection.

Ok, so far we got....

transplant
    ledvedderman
    Echoes
    StoneG82
    NakedClown
    Pearl Jam and toast
    mookeywrench
    viggs20
    brhf9
    deadmosquito
    psycosmic
    alobar
    AndySlash
    burnin-candle

Cool, this may be the biggest group yet. We will close this sucker up Wednesday.

In the meantime, check out psycosmic's interim pick for those that didn't know it was out there.
    Ok, if nobody else joins in, here is the order. the first person can start whenever they want.

Viggs20
    Echoes
    Psycosmic
    Mookeywrench
    Alobar
    Burnin-Candle
    AndySlash
    Transplant
    StoneG82
    kdpjam
    Ledvedderman
    NakedClown
    Pearl Jam and toast
    brhf9
    deadmosquito

Hope this works for people. Post up if you have any questions.
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    should we try to set a specific day that the new selection will come out on, say every Friday or something? Sometimes it can be hard to keep track of who's next and when the next one's going to be posted. I think we should try to set a specific day and if whoever's turn it is can't post their selection on that day, they can pm everyone or even post on the board, letting everyone know when their selction will be up.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
    alobar wrote:
    should we try to set a specific day that the new selection will come out on, say every Friday or something? Sometimes it can be hard to keep track of who's next and when the next one's going to be posted. I think we should try to set a specific day and if whoever's turn it is can't post their selection on that day, they can pm everyone or even post on the board, letting everyone know when their selction will be up.
    That is a good idea. Whatever day Viggs puts his selection up, we will just make it that day. It wouldn't hurt either to take notice of who is after you so you could throw them a little reminder in your SMC pick, just stick it at the end of the first post or something.

I will try to keep on the week schedule also and notify people via PM when it is their turn.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    hi, can i be added to the list again?
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    who's up next?
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~