SMC: Synergy Music Club Round 6

transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
edited December 2006 in Other Music
Ok. Time for a new round.

The SMC is a way of bringing to light artists that fly under the radar. If you wish to join up, you just say so. What we do is once a week a member puts up a selection (mp3's and zipped preferably) and then the zipped file is uploaded to a shared Gmail account (we use http://www.yousendit.com to accomplish this). Once that selection is in there, a new thread is started introducing the pick.

SMC: (album name) ~ (artist). Once the thread has started, that is the signal for the other members to go out to the gmail account and download the selected pick. Once you get an opportunity to listen, you put your thoughts down in that thread.

We are kicking around the idea of picking a certain year or decade for this round. So for example if we pick the 50's, you must pick a release from that decade etc.. If you have another idea, please by all means throw it out there.

Now, it must be said again, artists that fly under the radar. Do not use your buddies band down the street.

If you wish to contribute, please understand that your pick may not get a lot of responses. Don't think that your pick is ignored, many people download it and do not have the opportunity to post their thoughts. On that note though, it helps just to say that. If you are a straight I like it/hate it type just say that. Don't feel you have to get all pitchforky with your reviews.

If you have any questions, just respond to this thread, it'll get answered.

So who is in?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    I'm still in.

Edit- Oh, and I like the idea of a thematic round. I don't care if it's decades, themed mixes, bands that start with "B", bands with chick singers, bands who throw shit on stage, or whatever. But I think that would be cool do do for the regulars, just to mix it up a bit.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    count me in
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    I want to continue.

How are we gonna do this theme thing. Voting?
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
    That would be fine. Someone (transplant, probably) could set up a poll of various options, I suppose.
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    count me in. Bring on a theme for this round. That'd be cool.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • i'd like to be in again as well... just know that i'm in school so sometimes i fall behind and don't post on a particular record. but i'll do my best to keep up.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    AndySlash wrote:
    That would be fine. Someone (transplant, probably) could set up a poll of various options, I suppose.
    I could do something like that. though the options now are by decade and perhaps bands that throw shit on stage :D I mean I guess I could dig out a GG Allin disc but I'd rather not........

So the theme sounds like it will be a winner, now just throw out some options you would be in for.

I'll compile the options and post them up for voting when we get all who want to contribute.

I'll throw a few out just to get it rolling

by Decade
    by Year
    by Genre
    a member Mix round

*edit*
    favorite live recording
    CD that broke your indie cherry

(that Comically Bad albums would be hilarious to do.)
    i'd like to be in again as well... just know that i'm in school so sometimes i fall behind and don't post on a particular record. but i'll do my best to keep up.
    no problem, It isn't necessary, nor expected for one to keep up on all the picks. glad to keep you on board.
  • i like the "bands that start with _" idea that someone threw out there earlier in the thread.
    Others:

Local (to the uploader anyway) bands only
    Comically bad albums
    Guilty pleasures
    Out of print albums
    Soundtracks/compilations only
    John Tesh albums
    What about a holiday album?

i like the "bands that start with _" idea that someone threw out there earlier in the thread.

this is a good idea too. We could even do bands that start with "The," or a letter of the alphabet.

Personally, I'd like to stay away from sountracks or tributes because most of them turn out bad to average.

alobar wrote:
    What about a holiday album?
    I have a PERFECT one that would stray from anything we have done previously (genre wise). perhaps those whos pick falls in December can select one if they choose? or those that have one can just throw them out there as 'bonus' picks.

I am a total geek when it comes to holiday music as that is all I listen to in the car during the month of December.
    As long as no one puts up Vince Guaraldi's 'Charlie Brown Christmas' because everyone should already have that. If you don't, drop whatever you're doing, and go obtain it RIGHT NOW.

I'd argue vehemently that it is the greatest Xasm album in the history of ever.
  • Hey guys.

Count me in for next round as well. I'm still listening to Lucero, but I will do my best to comment as much as possible in the next round.

I'm cool with every idea that has come up!

Cheers.
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
    transplant wrote:
    I have a PERFECT one that would stray from anything we have done previously (genre wise). perhaps those whos pick falls in December can select one if they choose? or those that have one can just throw them out there as 'bonus' picks.

I am a total geek when it comes to holiday music as that is all I listen to in the car during the month of December.

I too have a holiday album I'd love to share, though maybe it'd be best to make it a holiday bonus instead of a whole round. I don't want somebody at the end of the round having to upload Mannhiem Steamroller in March.

• EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    sorry that I won't be participating in this round. It isn't that I don't want to share music with you, it just seems unfair that I would post something and then miss most of the rest of it, due to being preoccupied with other things
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
    Echoes wrote:
    sorry that I won't be participating in this round. It isn't that I don't want to share music with you, it just seems unfair that I would post something and then miss most of the rest of it, due to being preoccupied with other things
    Ok, but if you change your mind let me know.

I say we give this until Sunday and we'll close this round up. Alobar, perhaps you can put your holiday pick up as a 'starter' for the new round?
    transplant wrote:
    Ok, but if you change your mind let me know.

I say we give this until Sunday and we'll close this round up. Alobar, perhaps you can put your holiday pick up as a 'starter' for the new round?

Sounds good. I'll put it up soon.

Echoes, I always liked your selections.....why you gotta hold out on us?

• Count me in this time. It sounds fun.

I'm good with whatever theme.
    NERDS!
    alobar wrote:
    Sounds good. I'll put it up soon.

Echoes, I always liked your selections.....why you gotta hold out on us?

Ill gladly make another selection, it is just that I feel I am being unfair by not commenting on any of the other selections, if that makes sense. If you want me to I can gladly do a one-off, but I can't say for certain that I will be able to listen to any of the others.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Count me in!!!!!!
    Echoes wrote:
    Ill gladly make another selection, it is just that I feel I am being unfair by not commenting on any of the other selections, if that makes sense. If you want me to I can gladly do a one-off, but I can't say for certain that I will be able to listen to any of the others.
    well how about this. I got to admit, your selections do kick ass so how about you start this new round off. I understand your point and it is appreciated. you know the password if there is one week you have time to comment. Here would be the tentative list.

Echoes
    Alobar
    burnin-candle
    kdpjam
    transplant
    AndySlash
    StoneG82
    brhf9
    deadmosquito
    South of Seattle
    PJGARDEN
    reeferchief
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i can still participate.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I'm interested.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    hehhe as long as no one else minds I'd be glad

so, is there a theme or anything for this round?
    Echoes wrote:
    so, is there a theme or anything for this round?
    I figured we could somehow vote on that. There will be a theme, just not sure what kind yet. I was giving this until Sunday to see if there are any more folks interested and then decide on theme.

updated the tentative list. good to see some new blood.
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Don't you forget about me...count me in.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
    viggs20 wrote:
    Don't you forget about me...count me in.
    I figured you would be up for it.

Ok, here is the list and the order.

Echoes
    viggs20
    Alobar
    burnin-candle
    kdpjam
    transplant
    AndySlash
    StoneG82
    brhf9
    deadmosquito
    South of Seattle
    PJGARDEN
    reeferchief
    Ms. Haiku

Ok, as far as theme, I am putting out 3. pick one.

1. Bands that start with 'The.....'
    2. Band that starts with an N
    3. the '80s (pick a CD from this decade)

Let's wrap this up pretty quickly.
  • transplant wrote:

Ok, as far as theme, I am putting out 3. pick one.

1. Bands that start with 'The.....'
    2. Band that starts with an N
    3. the '80s (pick a CD from this decade)

Let's wrap this up pretty quickly.

All good choices I think.

I'll vote for #1. That might make it a little challenging.
    NERDS!