Your Current Setup (Guitar)

2»

Comments

• ianvomsaal wrote:
    Thanks - yeah, this is about half. My bigger amps are in the studio, as well as a couple guitars.
    All my other gear is stored at my parents place (which happens to be on the other coast of FL).

I run my board into all my amps: Bassman, Deville, Classic-50, Mesa Mark-III, Bogner Shiva, and
    Marshall ('67-SuperLead & '66 JTM-45). I use the OD pedals on the clean side of amps that don't
    have the OD I'm looking for - Everything seems to work really well with all my amps.

Funny, the PH-3 has never given me any problems with volume drops (at all). It's always worked
    really great for me, but then I never drench anything in phaser - I use it as a subtle effect, very
    much like chorus. I did use a Maxon PT999 for a bit, but I really like the control that I have with
    the PH-3 more than any other easily obtainable phaser I've used so far (boutique stuff aside).

Sonic Stomp - Yeah I got that Sonic Stomp a couple years ago and it's been with me ever since.
    It's a real one trick pony, but works really well at what it does (which is tightening up the signal
    so that the Lows and Highs hit the amp simultaneously). I keep it on at all times - and the stomp
    switch is set up in such a way that once you turn it on you never have to turn it on again. Even
    if you unplug the board and then plug it back in, the pedal is still on (that's one stomp-switch I'll
    never wear out - I think I've stomped on it a whole 10-times since I've had it).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian

Hows the Jeckyl and Hyde? I have a TS-9 but would Ideally like to either get another OD/Distortion (like a BD-2) or just get one of those. Thoughts?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I just got back from a session, so this is my click: PEDAL BOARD today.
    As most of you know it changes depending on the recording session . . .
    Here's a snapshot of my little click: MUSIC ROOM.

Outstanding gear man!! Tell me, is that a vintage Bassman or a re-issue?
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Hows the Jeckyl and Hyde? I have a TS-9 but would Ideally like to either get another OD/Distortion (like a BD-2) or just get one of those. Thoughts?
    The Jekyll & Hyde is fine, but the new versions are better (better switches,
    better balance and control). The left side of it is basically a TS808 or TS-9
    (it even uses the same JRC4558 op-amp) - The right side sounds a bit more
    like a crank'd British amp. It's versatile, however it's not a True Bypass pedal
    (it's buffered, if that matters to you). I'd say get a BD-2 (Keeley Modded if
    you can do it), or maybe a Fulltone OCD instead of the J&H. It really depends
    on what you're looking for in an OD pedal.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    savman wrote:
    Outstanding gear man!! Tell me, is that a vintage Bassman or a re-issue?
    Old Bassman - note the tear in the upper tight tolex.
    I enlarged the click: MUSIC ROOM labels so you can actually read them now.
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Old Bassman - note the tear in the upper tight tolex.

Rare as hens teeth, Nice....
    Can imagine id ever leave the house with all that gear.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I just got back from a session, so this is my click: PEDAL BOARD today.
    As most of you know it changes depending on the recording session . . .
    Here's a snapshot of my little click: MUSIC ROOM.
    WOW man that is totally incredible. You have a tonne of amazing gear. I wish I could come jam with ya! (: LOL
  • Guitar updates... coming soon. :)
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    The Jekyll & Hyde is fine, but the new versions are better (better switches,
    better balance and control). The left side of it is basically a TS808 or TS-9
    (it even uses the same JRC4558 op-amp) - The right side sounds a bit more
    like a crank'd British amp. It's versatile, however it's not a True Bypass pedal
    (it's buffered, if that matters to you). I'd say get a BD-2 (Keeley Modded if
    you can do it), or maybe a Fulltone OCD instead of the J&H. It really depends
    on what you're looking for in an OD pedal.
    Thanks for the advice!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    2007 HSS Fender Stratocaster (MIM) --> Crybaby 535q Wah --> TS9DX --> Marshall Shredmaster --> Boss TR-2 --> Boss DM-3 --> Blues Jr Amp.
  • Uh, BIG guitar update coming REALLY soon.... :D

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    Uh, BIG guitar update coming REALLY soon.... :D
    click: LIKE THIS :D sorry, I had to (LOL)
  • Haha! Not quite that big, but I do have a new guitar. I'm gonna hold out unveiling her until I get some parts in and complete the surgery.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • wow ian, thats some nice gear. i have a collection but nothing that extensive.

i will list my current set up for gigs, and maybe post some pics. maybe if i get around to it later i will give a full inventory of things i have collected but rarely use anymore.

guitars- 2004 alpine white gibson les paul custom (main axe)
    2002 gibson honeyburst les paul standard
    2003 gibson sg blue/teal flip
    late 90s olympic white fender american strat (nicely yellowed now)
    2008 nash strat "blackie" clone with worn maple fretboard.

i run my guitars into a furman powered pedal board that (today at least) has the following:

boss tuner
    budda bud-wah
    mr. fazedelic phaser
    mxr carbon copy analog delay
    hughes and kettner rotosphere with custom red paintjob done by previous owner...why i will never know...
    maxon sonic distortion
    zvex box of rock (used primarily for boost during solos, occasionally for a different distortion to get that vintage marshall tone with my matchless)
    i have an original jeckyll and hyde pedal i got about 8 or 10 years ago that i just took off the board a few weeks ago. its in need of repair :(

amps
    now i am using a 50 watt 1974 marshall jmp (thankfully repaired last week) with a 16 ohm thd hotplate set at 8 decibles. i run this amp pretty hot so i needed something to reduce the volume somewhat. i run this head into a marshall 1960 av cab with vintage 30s. i will occasionally use a full stack with a 1960 bv cab.

35 watt 1994 matchless clubman with my 1960 bv marshall cab. i still use this for smaller shows because it has a master volume. i want to eventually a/b this and the marshall jmp. i think it would give me a more versatile rig.

i also have an early marshall jcm 900 that i used for years that is collecting dust right now.

i also have a 3 channel 50 watt laney true tube that was the first head i ever had and i am hanging on to it for sentimental reasons, plus it sounds good and works well for practice so i don't have to lug my board all the time. i run it through a crate blue voodoo slant cab when i do use it. odd combination i know.

thats all i can think of here at work...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    wow ian, thats some nice gear. i have a collection but nothing that extensive.
    Thanks - yeah as I said it's only about half of my gear - I really started running out of room
    a while back, and once I moved here I couldn't put it all in my lesson/music room (because
    that room would become completely unuseable for lessons - just too full). It's actually one
    of the reasons my wife asked me to sell 10-guitars before we moved - so we'd have room.
    The closet in my music room is just completely full of boxes of pedals and parts and such.

You've got some nice, very useable equipment - you don't need much else for versatility
    (guitar-wise) except for maybe a 335ish styled hollowbody. How do you like that pink Sib
    Fazeadelic
    ? It's kind of difficult for me to get anything obscure because if I pick up another
    tour and have to replace a pedal that's crapped out on me, I basically need to be able to
    find one in a local shop. Pedals like my original MXR Bluebox don't go with me because of it.
    You can always find Boss pedals, and Sam Ash is starting to carry Keeley pedals, so you'd
    be hard pressed to NOT find what I use between the monopolies (Guitar Center & Sam Ash).

- Ian
  • I'm slacking on using many effects lately.When I do I'm using a RAT for distortion,Crybaby wah,Dan-electro echo,an old ibanez sound tank chorus,and using the Epi delay then running my Epiphone head into my Ampeg 50 watt cause I like the Epi reverb.And I use the Epiphone cabinet with a Marshall 1960's series cabinet.http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=157950537&albumID=147934&imageID=2261775
  • I'm slacking on using many effects lately.When I do I'm using a RAT for distortion,Crybaby wah,Dan-electro echo,an old ibanez sound tank chorus,and using the Epi delay then running my Epiphone head into my Ampeg 50 watt cause I like the Epi reverb.And I use the Epiphone cabinet with a Marshall 1960's series cabinet.http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=157950537&albumID=147934&imageID=2261775
    My body has that soundtank chorus. I love it's sound. What kind of Epi delay? Psst...not using a lot of effects isn't a bad thing, haha
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • The Epi delay that's built into the head.In the dsp effects.Yeah,not many effects is just better sometimes.
  • The Epi delay that's built into the head.In the dsp effects.Yeah,not many effects is just better sometimes.
    I didn't know that Epi had DSP effects!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    guitars- Mexican Squier
    pedals- DOD Grunge
    amps- Marshall MS2

I can pretty much recreate anything the Edge has ever played. the setup is so versatile.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Thanks - yeah as I said it's only about half of my gear - I really started running out of room
    a while back, and once I moved here I couldn't put it all in my lesson/music room (because
    that room would become completely unuseable for lessons - just too full). It's actually one
    of the reasons my wife asked me to sell 10-guitars before we moved - so we'd have room.
    The closet in my music room is just completely full of boxes of pedals and parts and such.

You've got some nice, very useable equipment - you don't need much else for versatility
    (guitar-wise) except for maybe a 335ish styled hollowbody. How do you like that pink Sib
    Fazeadelic
    ? It's kind of difficult for me to get anything obscure because if I pick up another
    tour and have to replace a pedal that's crapped out on me, I basically need to be able to
    find one in a local shop. Pedals like my original MXR Bluebox don't go with me because of it.
    You can always find Boss pedals, and Sam Ash is starting to carry Keeley pedals, so you'd
    be hard pressed to NOT find what I use between the monopolies (Guitar Center & Sam Ash).

- Ian

hey ian, you are right, i have always wanted a 335 but i can't find one for under $2000 for a new one and under $4000 for one thats nearly vintage. thats a lot of coin for me to spend on a guitar right now. hopefully i can finally get one in the next 12 to 18 months or so. i have some other things i need to pay off first. the other guitarist in my band has a 1967? trini lopez that i totally lust after.

the mr fazedelic is a pretty decent phaser. i liked it because it is not over the top van halen or randy rhoads sounding. its just enough to get a nice phaser sound. its versatile because there are two different settings you can have. i use a lower setting to accent my cleans and i use the higher setting for 80s hair metal tones. our bass player's uncle owns a vintage guitar/boutique shop and he gave it to me for $85 US because he could not get rid of them. They retail for about $120. IMO they sound better than the mxr phase 90 and i got it for cheeper. Of all of the Sib pedals i have played the fazedelic is the best. according to shawn's uncle the other Sib pedals are notorious for crapping out.

i did a google search for sib pedal dealers and every one i checked was out of the fazedelic.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    hey ian, you are right, i have always wanted a 335 but i can't find one for under $2000 for a new one and under $4000 for one thats nearly vintage. thats a lot of coin for me to spend on a guitar right now. hopefully i can finally get one in the next 12 to 18 months or so. i have some other things i need to pay off first. the other guitarist in my band has a 1967? trini lopez that i totally lust after.

the mr fazedelic is a pretty decent phaser. i liked it because it is not over the top van halen or randy rhoads sounding. its just enough to get a nice phaser sound. its versatile because there are two different settings you can have. i use a lower setting to accent my cleans and i use the higher setting for 80s hair metal tones. our bass player's uncle owns a vintage guitar/boutique shop and he gave it to me for $85 US because he could not get rid of them. They retail for about $120. IMO they sound better than the mxr phase 90 and i got it for cheeper. Of all of the Sib pedals i have played the fazedelic is the best. according to shawn's uncle the other Sib pedals are notorious for crapping out.

i did a google search for sib pedal dealers and every one i checked was out of the fazedelic.
    Remember, you don't need to get a Gibson ES-335 (I said 335ish styled). I have the
    prototype of Ibanez's AS103, and I absolutely love it. It cost me less than $700 (plus
    a stainless steel re-fret). I think the AS-103 currently goes for $750. Gibson makes a
    CS336 that I really like, but now we're into the $3400 range - However, they make an
    ES-339 that you can get for under $1800 - and it sounds good.
  • I was eyeing those ES-339s, they look damn good. However, that's not my new guitar. Details forthcoming...

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Novawind wrote:
    I was eyeing those ES-339s, they look damn good. However, that's not my new guitar. Details forthcoming...
    omg stop teasing and just hurry up already.... ;)
  • Novawind wrote:
    I was eyeing those ES-339s, they look damn good. However, that's not my new guitar. Details forthcoming...
    You're killin us Nova!