PJ Tribute bands

2»

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I’ve personally never been all that fond of seeing one band pretend to be another.
    I love Pearl Jam's music, but I'd rather hear Pearl Jam play it, not a bunch wannabee's.
    Sorry . . . :o
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I’ve personally never been all that fond of seeing one band pretend to be another.
    I love Pearl Jam's music, but I'd rather hear Pearl Jam play it, not a bunch wannabee's.
    A lot of people feel like you do Ian, and that's ok. I don't like to dump on tribute bands, because i spend and awful lot of time myself playing pearl jam tunes. I'm a wannabe.

I think it's such a compliment to PJ that people want to cover their music. I've never gone and watched a tribute band and walked away disappointed thinking 'damn they were not as good as pearl jam'. No one will be the same as them. Then again, i've never gone and seen a tribute band , excited and expecting them to be the same as Pearl Jam. I just don't think you can connect the two. For me, it's just going to see a band who play cool music, and if they rock, well then that's all the better ;)
  • I don't think it's a wannabe thing, I cover some PJ things and it's awesome. I put my own spin on things, too. I envision myself as Mike when I solo to my things, even. I don't think I'm alone in pretending or envisioning myself as a rock idol I look up to either. I agree, Ian....I'd rather see PJ than a tribute band that ONLY plays PJ. There's a lot of talent out there, though. I was in a PJ cover band when I was 15, it was a great way to get started and become comfortable. Since then, I've graduated to writing my own stuff...maybe cover bands are like that? A good way to get comfortable playing and a good launch pad to stay working on originals?
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    A lot of people feel like you do Ian, and that's ok. I don't like to dump on tribute bands, because i spend and awful lot of time myself playing pearl jam tunes. I'm a wannabe.

I think it's such a compliment to PJ that people want to cover their music. I've never gone and watched a tribute band and walked away disappointed thinking 'damn they were not as good as pearl jam'. No one will be the same as them. Then again, i've never gone and seen a tribute band , excited and expecting them to be the same as Pearl Jam. I just don't think you can connect the two. For me, it's just going to see a band who play cool music, and if they rock, well then that's all the better ;)
    Personally I'd rather hear an original band - to me all this "tribute band" stuff is laughable - it's more of a copycat
    thing - Everyone's a character - The singers all try to sound like Ed, & all the other members try to sound and act
    like their counterparts, ect, etc.
    Now I'm not knocking bands that play cover tunes, but they lose me when they single out one particular band and
    try to emulate it all note for note (just seems to take all the creativity out of music. There's never any room to do
    your own thing - play it just like the original, sound just like the original - it's BS).

If you've seen the movie ROCK STAR you'll really get what I'm talking about (remember these scenes):

"Rob, you're not nailing the squeal" . . . .

or

"What was that? There's no solo break after the chorus. That's not how the song goes. I know how the song goes.
    If you know how it goes, then play it right. Chris, you are taking this shit too seriously. That's right, because the
    music deserves to be taken seriously. If you don't, you don't deserve to play it. All right, you need to get a grip.
    You've ruined your performance. Do not ruin mine!"
    . . .

or best of all, the last fight (which kind of drives my point home).

"We're only doing Dragon covers to get people in the door so they can hear our originals cause we're tired of just
    being a cover band. -We are not a cover band, we're a tribute band. -No, dude. We are a cover band. The problem
    is, we've been covering the tunes, you think you're in god damn Steel Dragon. I love you man, but you're mental,
    you really are. You need to get a grip on reality man. You don't know where Bobby Beers ends and you begin. I'm
    mental, because I don't want to be in a cheesy bar band that butchers the music that people came to hear just to
    trap them into listening to your crappy originals! Crappy original? I think "Whole and a Half" kicks ass and I'm proud
    as shit to have written it. That's why we get so many requests for it. Don't make me feel like shit just cause you're
    to scared to write your own songs. Yeah, that's it. I'm too scared. If you wanna make it in this business, you gotta
    write your own tunes bro. Thanks for the tip bro. Look, come on, guys. We started this band because we loved playing
    Dragon tunes. We couldn't imagine playing anything else. What happened? -Dude I thought it'd be a goof. -A goof?
    Chris, seriously, wouldn't you rather fail as yourself than succeed as some Bobby Beers clone? Ohh yeah, well Rob,
    maybe you can write me a song about why in the hell I would ever wanna do that!"
  • Didn't Ed write something about people wanting to be like him or something?
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    I've played in 2 but I've never gone to see a tribute band. I'm just not bothered about going to see any. It kind of annoys me when people take some moral high ground about tribute bands. If you don't like em, don't go see em. Simple as that.
  • Right on. If you don't like it, who giz a shit. I play PJ 'cos I like it, if it leads me onto new inspirational ideas, then a bonus. We all know we can never be PJ, we're all just havin' a beer and a good time, so get off yer high horses and unplug your fingers from up your arses... pop ...pop....pop
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    ianvomsaal wrote:

So, if you live in Scotland, or Norway or somewhere else that PJ don't tour, what do you do ?

The assumption that everyone in a tribute band is a wannabee is pretty dismissive. Maybe they are people who just enjoy doing that. Not unlike people who do amateur theatre, or play sport. Say I joined a tribute band. Bung some glasses on me and a daggy t-shirt, and I could pass for Stone. Does that invalidate my life and career achievements and make me a wannabee ?? Or does it make me someone who gets home from work and enjoys the escape and healing power of music and has found a niche that suits me ?
    Kinda like becoming a session musician rather than being in a touring band doing original material.
    The tribute band thing grew from people wanting to see a band live that they could not otherwise get to see, not from people having such a poor grip on reality that they think they are the rock star they are covering.
    At present I'm learning songs for a cover band, and slowly being sucked into the vortex of the same old tired list of songs that everyone does.
    I would much rather be doing the whole PJ catalogue, for sure. Or I could be Kirk Hammett in a Metallica tribute band, that would be cool. I already have the guitar, I just need to practice for another ten years. I'd be better a being James, but I'm too short.
    Music is not a competetion.
    This is turning into a bunch of BS . . . again.
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Now I'm not knocking bands that play cover tunes, but they lose me when they single out one particular band and
    try to emulate it all note for note (just seems to take all the creativity out of music. There's never any room to do
    your own thing - play it just like the original, sound just like the original - it's BS).
    1.So, if you live in Scotland, or Norway or somewhere else that PJ don't tour, what do you do ?

The assumption that everyone in a tribute band is a wannabee is pretty dismissive. Maybe they are people who just enjoy doing that. Not unlike people who do amateur theatre, or play sport. Say I joined a tribute band. Bung some glasses on me and a daggy t-shirt, and I could pass for Stone. Does that invalidate my life and career achievements and make me a wannabee ?? Or does it make me someone who gets home from work and enjoys the escape and healing power of music and has found a niche that suits me ?
    2.Kinda like becoming a session musician rather than being in a touring band doing original material.
    The tribute band thing grew from people wanting to see a band live that they could not otherwise get to see, not from people having such a poor grip on reality that they think they are the rock star they are covering.
    At present I'm learning songs for a cover band, and slowly being sucked into the vortex of the same old tired list of songs that everyone does.
    I would much rather be doing the whole PJ catalogue, for sure. Or I could be Kirk Hammett in a Metallica tribute band, that would be cool. I already have the guitar, I just need to practice for another ten years. I'd be better a being James, but I'm too short.
    So here we go again . . .

1. Notice that I said "I'd rather hear Pearl Jam play it" - I never mentioned seeing them on tour.
    I've only seen Pearl Jam in concert once (and that was in 1996), so your point on this matter
    is completely lost on me - as for the other . . .

2. Yes I am a session guitarist (part time), but I've also been in three "touring bands" within the
    last 5 years (all of whom only played original music) - In fact I just got off a national tour this past
    November . . . Seems like you're trying to discredit my opinion (once again). The validity of my
    personal views are just as credible as the next guys (girls), so once again your point is completely
    lost on me - Unless of coarse you're trying to invalidate me, to which I'll say "stop it, don't be a
    jerk, again". All of the regulars on this M&G forum know exactly what I'm talking about here.
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    So here we go again . . .

1. Notice that I said "I'd rather hear Pearl Jam play it" - I never mentioned seeing them on tour.
    I've only seen Pearl Jam in concert once (and that was in 1996), so your point on this matter
    is completely lost on me - as for the other . . .

2. Yes I am a session guitarist (part time), but I've also been in three "touring bands" within the
    last 5 years (all of whom only played original music) - In fact I just got off a national tour this past
    November . . . Seems like you're trying to discredit my opinion (once again). The validity of my
    personal views are just as credible as the next guys (girls), so once again your point is completely
    lost on me - Unless of coarse you're trying to invalidate me, to which I'll say "stop it, don't be a
    jerk, again". All of the regulars on this M&G forum know exactly what I'm talking about here.

No, I'm not trying to invalidate what you do, more validating what a tribute band does. So you make your living playing sessions and teaching. Probably a much wiser career move than 15mins of fame followed by unemployment and substance abuse. I was pointing that out as a valid musical option, not an invalid one. It's your poor opinion of tributte bands that had you read it as an insult, not my attitude. I think you will find if you read every post I have ever made, that I think that all forms of expression are equally valid, which is my point.

I would be curious to see the post where I was a jerk the first time actually.
    Your continued tendency to verbally abuse me is most amusing, when I also was merely adding my opinion to the debate. Never fear though, I have added you to my ignore list. I suggest you do the same for me, and we shall trouble each other no more.
  • I do know the Beatles tribute band out here (1964) is a HUGE attraction. I think it's a pretty cool idea to do tribute stuff however, I'd like to write my own stuff. I did covers for a long time to get comfortable playing.

SO, not trying to hijack the thread but, what are the opinions of OTHER tribute bands (non-pj ones)
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I do know the Beatles tribute band out here (1964) is a HUGE attraction. I think it's a pretty cool idea to do tribute stuff however, I'd like to write my own stuff. I did covers for a long time to get comfortable playing.

SO, not trying to hijack the thread but, what are the opinions of OTHER tribute bands (non-pj ones)
    That's a pretty good point about the beatles tribute bands. I don't know if it's because they were way before my time, or the fact i never got to experience them in 'real life', but i'd love to see a real decent beatles tribute band. That would be kick ass. Abbey Road is easily in my top ten albums ever.

Having said that though, the thought of having to sit through an Elvis Presley Tribute show, almost makes me want to throw up a little in my mouth.
    I do know the Beatles tribute band out here (1964) is a HUGE attraction. I think it's a pretty cool idea to do tribute stuff however, I'd like to write my own stuff. I did covers for a long time to get comfortable playing.

I think they are cool. They are basically about bringing a show to people who never had the chance to se the real thing.
    There is a Led Zep tribute that gets around her called Zed Leppelin, that I keep missing, but I'd like to catch them some time. There is another guy who does SRV and I really should have made the effort to see him last time he played in a local club. He is supposed to be seriously good.
    It's really just a typical covers show, focussed on one artist. I doubt anyone in them really thinks they are the "real deal", but they might still be great entertainers.
  • I think they are cool. They are basically about bringing a show to people who never had the chance to se the real thing.
    There is a Led Zep tribute that gets around her called Zed Leppelin, that I keep missing, but I'd like to catch them some time. There is another guy who does SRV and I really should have made the effort to see him last time he played in a local club. He is supposed to be seriously good.
    It's really just a typical covers show, focussed on one artist. I doubt anyone in them really thinks they are the "real deal", but they might still be great entertainers.
    You bring up an awesome point. They do bring something some people never would have had the chance to see...it's like the next best thing to seeing the real deal.
  • Mikes in a Jimi Hendrix tribute show...
    Mikes in a Jimi Hendrix tribute show...

Actually, that reminds me about the huge Hendrix thing that was touring with all the pros doing it, and also "Zappa Plays Zappa".
  • awakeawake Posts: 35
    Our band, Rearviewmirror, is playing at Rock and Roll Heaven in Toronto this Saturday, Sept 6 if anyone wants to check us out. I'll be behind the kit.

http://www.pjtribute.com