PJ Tribute bands

manipulatedlivingmanipulatedliving Posts: 508
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
What do you think of them? And if you are a member of one, which songs do you play?
"I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, 1977
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    Hello....representing No Code (New Jersey).
    as for songs that we do? we do the ones that no one else does :)

Oh - I play Stone
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Very nice. I'm starting up one, and I was just wanting to know what other PJ fans thought of them...if they liked them..if not..yahdi yahda. I'll be playing stone's role as well :D
    "I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, 1977
    My claim to fame, through some help on here is playing You Are.

I love that one

Name it....which ones in particular are you interested in?

We've got a short list of songs for development and brushing up since this last tour as things have changed ever so slightly (Present Tense, Sad)...so we're discussing some game plans now :)
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I have never seen a Pearl Jam tribute band. I would really like to see one. I actually want to start one. I'm in London Ontario area if anyone's interested!
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I think tribute bands are cool, and I would love to be Stone in one. I've been thinking about doing advertising in local music mags to see if ther eis any interest. I guess I am a bit wary of attracting a bunch of stoners though.
    Depending on how my present band goes, I might do that yet.
    Music is not a competetion.
    Django wrote:

More info. I hate myspace.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    We have something in common, haha
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    We have something in common, haha

What I really dislike is the modern tendency to think that posting a myspace or youtube link actually constitutes conversation.

No, "hi , I'm Bill, my band is blah-blah, based in Brisblot or Melborp etc etc", just a link and run. Although, we all remember what happened last mtie anyone tried to promote their PJ tribute show here.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    haha, who could forget that. Yeah, it seems like spam if you're just going around to random sites, posting a link, and running with no insight on the actual band who has the site.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Django wrote:

just curious. you're called 'australian pearl jam?' based in ireland? what's the connection? originally from oz?

nice job on the songs up on my space. :)
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    for anyone in the boston area, these dudes are awesome, highly recommend them. great show and a rocking fun night out.

definitely worthwhile checking them out. i actually applied to audition with them last year when they were seeking a guitarist but they had already found someone by the time i contacted them. (probably a good move on their behalf ;), because after seeing them perfom they seriously rock!)

freaking awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/backseatlover.com
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152

It's all on the link. Three songs recorded at our first gig on the 24th of June 2005. The band had been together about a month...that's about it

Were not australian, it just every other tribute band seemed to be "the australian" something, so working on that logic we went for the australian pearl jam
    Django wrote:
    It's all on the link. Three songs recorded at our first gig on the 24th of June 2005. The band had been together about a month...that's about it

Were not australian, it just every other tribute band seemed to be "the australian" something, so working on that logic we went for the australian pearl jam

Definitely Irish logic.
    Fooled me for sure !!
  • JAM76JAM76 Posts: 14
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    for anyone in the boston area, these dudes are awesome, highly recommend them. great show and a rocking fun night out.

definitely worthwhile checking them out. i actually applied to audition with them last year when they were seeking a guitarist but they had already found someone by the time i contacted them. (probably a good move on their behalf ;), because after seeing them perfom they seriously rock!)

freaking awesome.

I have seen these guys before and they were incredible!
    www.myspace.com/jennifah76
  • well i'm still trying to round up people here in the hampton roads, VA area for a pj tribute if anyone is interested.
  • Banana-RamaBanana-Rama Posts: 108
    "If you should die before me, ask if you could bring a friend" - STP

"Frugality without creativity is deprivation." - Amy Dacyczyn

Proud Supporter of the CAROLINA HURRICANES. GO CANES GO!!!
  • i have seen 5 against 1 a few times and i think they are good - i am not entirely sure where they are from but, i saw them in the philly area every time i saw them
    9/1/2000 - E-Centre, Camden, 'Sometimes' started and I was hooked...
  • SinSevenSinSeven Posts: 9
    Pj_Gurl wrote:

freaking awesome.

If you're from Boston too... then you should know Itchy Fish!!!?? I use to see them all the time, they were great, but I heard they broke up.... however, i see on youtube that they've played as recently as a couple months ago.. not sure if its the members I saw years ago.
  • Charger74Charger74 Posts: 59

I just saw these guys at Capone's in Johnson City saturday night. I admit, i saw the promo vid and was a little skeptical (the singer sounded like a guy trying to sound like Ed Vedder, it was VERY forced sounding, not natural).

HOWEVER, upon seeing TEN: A Tribute to Pearl Jam live (and realizing that vid was over 2 years old), they are VERY good. The musicianship was top notch. Best players I've seen come through this area by far. They really put more emphasis on the sound of the band than the look, although the "Stone Gossard" actually looks just like bassist Jeff Ament than guitarist Stone Gossard, and "Eddie" looks more like the 2003 EV with the shaved head just growing back out. And that guy has some pipes. His voice is STRONG. Yes, at times it was too much like EV, like he was 'singing' a role. But, I had to remind myself, it's a Pearl Jam cover band; who's he supposed to sound like, Axl Rose?!?

The guy playing "Mike McCready" is a hell of a guitar player, and he does a couple of Mike's 'flash' tricks (playing behind his back, behind his head, between his legs). And he had the 15 pedal pedal-board, just like the real Mr. McCready.

Best part is that their "Boom Gaspar" on keyboards can actually sing the high notes that Chris Cornell does. He's not a carbon copy voice of Cornell, but he can hit the notes with his voice, which works good. This allows them to do Temple of the Dog songs (they did 4 at this show), and he sang the counter melody in Andy Wood's range on 'Crown of Thorns' while the "Ed" did the part that you hear when Pearl Jam does this song live.

The drummer does a great imitation of Matt Cameron's style, which I've been told is not easy to pull off. The "Jeff Ament" did all the little fills and nuances that Jeff does live.

Overall, I thought these guys were extremely skilled, and they enjoy themselves. Best of all, they are VERY well versed in how PJ plays live, and they jam out on several songs. Plus, they play A LOT of the lesser known stuff. One of the funniest parts of the night was when "Ed" said "you ready to go back to 1992?" and all 40 or 50 of us there were like YEAH! I heard people near me talking "EvenFlow? Alive? Jeremy?" and the band launches into "Alone". Maybe 10 of us there knew the song, and they recognized it and played to us.

They even did the covers that PJ does live; in this case, it was "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" and "Baba O'Riley". Well, they did "Last Kiss" on acoustic, which is a PJ cover song in a way.

The one thing is that if you're familiar with the guitar parts of Stone and Mike, they were hard to follow because some songs the "Stone" was playing Mike's part, and the "Mike" was playing Stone's part. This was most evident during 'Alive'; which when the "Mike" realized I was up front watching how he was playing that little fill in the chorus, he turned to me and let me keep watching. I was trying to see how he played it because I've seen it tabbed 3 different ways, and this guy plays it like I play it (I've seen Stone Gossard play it 2 different ways on different dvds/bootleg vids).

The guy playing "Ed" didn't play guitar on the songs that Ed plays on. So, in some of these songs, there's a noticeable 'hole' in the music to the die-hard Pearl Jam fan (like me). Most notably during 'Corduroy'. He does however, encourage the crowd to sing along at the right times just like Eddie Vedder does during PJ concerts.

Most of the crowd that was there, was there to hear all the early stuff. Out of the 45 or 50 of us there, maybe 10 of us knew PJ made any records after Vitalogy. They played 'Severed Hand', and again I was in the distinct minority that knew this song.

One thing that was pretty cool was that there were 3 women that I'm pretty sure work at one of the local exotic dance establishments around here that were into the ENTIRE show. At the same time, there were 2 couples that looked like they were business professionals by day (the type that you wouldn't see in a music venue from 11pm to 3am, maybe at a sports bar from 7pm to 10pm). The crowd was diverse, for sure.

All in all, I'd see them again, and I hope the mgmnt at Capone's brings them back in a few months. As little as PJ tours the southeast, especially this area, it gives some people the chance to go out and listen to live music they're familiar with, have some drinks, and sing along; without having to travel for hours to a venue 2 states away (sometimes 3) to enjoy live Pearl Jam music. I'm a huge PJ fan, going all the way back to 1991, so I was pretty skeptical as to how good this could be. But I had a great time that night, and the guys did a great job with the music, and don't take themselves seriously as "Pearl Jam" from an image or identity standpoint. As they said, they're there to let people come out to their local venue and enjoy Pearl Jam's music, because they enjoy Pearl Jam's music as well.
    9-6-98 KNOXVILLE, TN
    6-16-08 COLUMBIA, SC
    8-28-09 SAN FRANCISCO, CA
  • edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    saw No Code in Atlantice City. They were pretty good. Sang some songs I didn't expect like Sad & You Are. Would go see them again.
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
    saw No Code in Atlantice City. They were pretty good. Sang some songs I didn't expect like Sad & You Are. Would go see them again.

:)
  • totaledheadtotaledhead Posts: 197
    Django wrote:

I saw you guys play in the Roisin in Galway a few months back, great band, great vibe and an unreal guitarist and drummer!! :D

which member are you? :)
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    Hi All,

We are looking to get a PJ tribute band off the ground in SW London, England and are looking for drummer?
    If anyone is interested please send a private message for more info etc so as to not clog the message board,.

Thanks
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    I saw you guys play in the Roisin in Galway a few months back, great band, great vibe and an unreal guitarist and drummer!! :D

which member are you? :)

Ta very much. That was a good night. Always a good vibe in Galway.

I play guitar. I do most of Mick McCready's parts.
  • totaledheadtotaledhead Posts: 197
    Django wrote:
    Ta very much. That was a good night. Always a good vibe in Galway.

I play guitar. I do most of Mick McCready's parts.

Yeah you're the one I'm talking about! You were on fire! Don't leave it so long to come back! :D
  • tremorvoidtremorvoid Posts: 528
    SinSeven wrote:
    If you're from Boston too... then you should know Itchy Fish!!!?? I use to see them all the time, they were great, but I heard they broke up.... however, i see on youtube that they've played as recently as a couple months ago.. not sure if its the members I saw years ago.

ohhh i saw them way back in the day...in boston i think...they were really fuckin good. when i closed my eyes it sounded exactly like pj... :D
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder
    To find an approach and a way to live
    Are we getting something out of this
    all-encompassing trip?
  • awakeawake Posts: 35
    I play drums in Rearviewmirror, we play around the Toronto area and have a lot of fun with it, the music is challenging enough to keep us interested, and loose enough to jam it out once in a while, plus with such an extensive song list it's easy to change it up night after night. Probably the most rare tunes we do are Alone & Hunger Strike

we are playing this Saturday in Whitby Ontario at Johnny B Club if anyone is interested

http://www.pjtribute.com
    No Code does You Are and Hold On as some of the more obscure ones, but the list is way too extensive to list :)
  • Anyone in N.W.Wales U.K. interested in getting together to jam with a nod towards PJ ? I play guitar and would prefer to aspire to McCready if a band could be got off the ground. I can play bass, also, to get things moving.