Small(er) Tube Amps

2»

Comments

• I wanted an Orange cab for so long when I was in the market for a head but I wondered why they were so darn expensive...what's so great about them?
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I wanted an Orange cab for so long when I was in the market for a head but I wondered why they were so darn expensive...what's so great about them?

Go get a avatar 2x12, or 4x12 and throw some Vintage 30's in them.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I wanted an Orange cab for so long when I was in the market for a head but I wondered why they were so darn expensive...what's so great about them?

I'm with you, there... I would LOVE to have an Orange 2x12 cab with Greenbacks. VERY pretty, great sound.

There are two factors in the expense of the Orange cabs. First, they're incredibly well-built. In fact, they're probably over-built. Thick wood in the construction, finger-jointed. The orange tolex and the super-nice grillcloth are factors, as are the speakers, which aren't some blank-label Eminence, but real honest-to-mccready Celestions.

Factor two is the exclusivity. They charge that much because they can. Marshall cabs have the functional quality of the Orange cabs, but are slightly cheaper.

Avatar cabs are good enough for most of us, as are most other cabs out there. In fact, you can probably find some older Peavey and Crate cabs that are really well-built cabinets, and then load them with whatever speakers you want, for cheaper than getting a true Marshall or Orange cab.

As for Novawind... Paco answered your question as best anyone can already. Without taking off the back and having a peek, there's no great way to assess which speakers are in your cab. Unless they were swapped by a previous owner, they're almost certainly Celestions, but which model I couldn't say. If it was me, the curiosity would kill me... I'd be yanking the back off first thing.

The Rockerverb was a great amp the one time I plugged into it... I was trying out a really noisy Tele with P-90's, so I can't give it a full eval (and it was definitely the guitar, I plugged into a few different amps) but it had a great tone, good cleans and good drive. In fact, it was about the first EL-34 amp I've ever been interested in. And the drive channel was very usable, I thought (I'm normally a stompbox guy with single-channel amps). I still haven't found an EL-84 amp that I can get behind... there are some people who use them well, but they don't respond to my playing. 5881 or die! Sovtek to the end!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.