fellow gibson fans

fencefacefenceface Posts: 37
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
anyone here fans of gibson guitars? I got a black LP Studio from 1993, that I play and use for song writing.

I'll post my pics, just wondering if their is any other gib users here :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    There are tons on Gibson users on here . . .
    I own few Les Pauls (Standards & Customs), SG's, ect from many years.
    Here's one of my LP's from '99 (they made 50 of these):
    Les Paul Standard Plus (limited Edition).
    Welcome to the forum.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    yeah, i think you will find a few people on here who share the love :)

for me,
    2003 SG Special - teal blue flip-flop. i love this guitar, it's so comfortable, reasonably solid, gorgeous neck, lightning fast fretboard, the tone is perfect, its light as hell and it kicks ass.

57 custom black beauty (left to me by my brother), gorgeous to look at but i rarely play it for long periods . i find it way too heavy.
  • you can see pictures of mine here

myspace.com/justinmarion
  • I've got two:

A wine red 2003 SG Special that I swapped out the pickups for a P94T and a 57 Classic Plus and added a Bigsby.

A an ebony 2006 SG Standard.

Thinking maybe a Firebird sometime down the line as well.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Welcome to the forum.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

Holy buckets that's beautiful.

I have an Epi LP right now, but someday I'll have a Gibson. And that will be a glorious day indeed. :D
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I love the Gibson Les Paul. I've got a 1998 Les Paul Studio and I love it. What a dream to play! I would really want to own a Standard or a Custom one day! I will always keep the Studio though, it is my first Gibson!
  • yeah I originally had an epiphone lp special, i was like i will give this one last shot and i will buy a cheapy guitar and then when i knowledge i could create my own stuff i decided to buy the real thing from gibson.
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Welcome to the forum.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

oh wow hey didn't see the link, awesome thats nice, don't go smashing it lol.
  • I plan on buying my first soon!

Les Paul Studio!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Scuba200ft wrote:

Nice, are they all Historics ?? I'm guessing R4, R8, R9, and I'm not sure about the one on the right, could be a GO or another R8.

What amps do you play em through ?
    Music is not a competetion.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Scuba200ft wrote:
    Hmmm, kind of looks like a catalog or display photo.
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Hmmm, kind of looks like a catalog or display photo.

Well, it is a display pic, but it doen't take much to set up a backdrop like that. A quick step into any portrait studio could give those conditions.
    Nice even white light suggest portrait flash with diffusers and bounce.
    Too much class there for a catalogue pic.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    2003 SG Special - teal blue flip-flop. i love this guitar, it's so comfortable, reasonably solid, gorgeous neck, lightning fast fretboard, the tone is perfect, its light as hell and it kicks ass.

I got one of those too, it looks and plays amazing.

I also have a Gibson Custom Shop 58 Les Paul Jr. Doublecut in TV Yellow and a Custom Shop 57 Les Paul Gold Top, which is the best guitar I have ever owned.
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    I use a Gibson Les Paul standard. Great guitars, you can't get a bad sound with a Les Paul.
  • yeah lp rules lol.
  • Django wrote:
    I use a Gibson Les Paul standard. Great guitars, you can't get a bad sound with a Les Paul.

Haha, you haven't heard ME play one! :D

My first guitars were 57 Les Paul Goldtop , 58 Burst and then a 68 SG standard back when they weren't considered vintage. I sold the pauls, but I bought that 68 SG new and it's been with me for all those years, and it'll always be with me!
    I have an '82 ES-335 that I'll always have. Great great guitar that plays and sounds great.

The only Les Paul I have now is a '60 Classic reissue . They have the thinner neck that I like, and you can get them relatively cheaply compared to Standards. I don't like the high powered pickups in them, but a set of something you like in there and you have a $1500 Les Paul if you don't need the Standard name.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

My first guitars were 57 Les Paul Goldtop , 58 Burst and then a 68 SG standard back when they weren't considered vintage. I sold the pauls, but I bought that 68 SG new and it's been with me for all those years, and it'll always be with me!
    I have an '82 ES-335 that I'll always have. Great great guitar that plays and sounds great.

The only Les Paul I have now is a '60 Classic reissue . They have the thinner neck that I like, and you can get them relatively cheaply compared to Standards. I don't like the high powered pickups in them, but a set of something you like in there and you have a $1500 Les Paul if you don't need the Standard name.
    YOU HAD A 58 BURST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • YOU HAD A 58 BURST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!

Well, yup. To tell you the truth, I never really bonded with that thing. I bought them in the 60's so they were just good used guitars then, now look! I just sold both a few years ago. I've played other original ones which were better.

*(Don't tell any owners of original 58 bursts this)* , but I've had 80's Pauls from the alleged "Bad Years" that were just as nice as the legendary "collectors" items. I think they became collectors items because a few people who could play like all hell used them and no one ever could beat them! Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Peter Green, and Mick Taylor. Then Jimmy Page hit the scene and everybody wanted one!
    I never liked the fat necks and the tuners on mine wouldn't stay in tune and I never liked tuning all the time on stage. They were all different, and some of the pickups were amazing PAF's and some weren't. THEY ^ Sure had good ones! As well as Duane Allman!
    I travelled for a quite a long time and my overall guitars of choice were the SG and a Strat and a Tele.
    It's an SG with that cheesy Maestro tremolo on it, too, and crappy tuners, but it always stayed in tune at a gig. So many people couldn't stand those things but it always was there for me.

Yup, me and my SG. <3
    :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

What amps do you play em through ?

Hi Lucy, sorry for the late reply! LOL

Youre close. Left to right: R8, R9,R0 and an R6 laying down. And thanks for the photo compliments!

I play through quite a few different amps, including a Savage blitz, a mesa stilleto, an Uberschall, and a Peters Wolverine.

You can see my others at http://www.charvels.com. Charvels are really my passion!

Shawn
    You guys are so lucky with the number of amps you can get.
    I have 5 but each one cost about the same as three of yours.

I have a couple of R9's too. They really are the muts nuts.
  • I love gibson, I'll just never buy a new gibson. Standing up for the local private owned stores, that gibson continued to put the screws too. I know they are fantastic pieces I just don't want them getting any of my money anymore.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    2000 LP Studio, jet black w/ gold pickup covers. It was the first real nice musical piece I ever bought. I love it.

I think my favorite one, if I had the cash, would be a 57 Goldtop. I LOVE that guitar.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • have an old 78 LP Custom in natural finish
    and a 73\74 SG Pro that has the bigsby removed and a floydrose style installed.

me like both.
    but the SG needs a refret.
    doh :(
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    I love gibson, I'll just never buy a new gibson. Standing up for the local private owned stores, that gibson continued to put the screws too. I know they are fantastic pieces I just don't want them getting any of my money anymore.

I hear that. The local store where I bought mine was a big Gibson dealer going back 4-5 years. Something happened, I didn't get all the details, but now they only sell the high end LP's ranging from $3000-$5500.

I'd much rather get my gear from the local store owner and stand up for them. I can't even explain how helpful my local guys have been to me so it sucks when they get the screws put to them.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I think my favorite one, if I had the cash, would be a 57 Goldtop. I LOVE that guitar.

Its an awesome ax, thats for sure.
  • Yeap, I got a Gibson too.

NewGuitar002.jpg

Love playing it. Been thinking about selling it lately though. I am strapped for cash but damn its hard to part with it now that I have it. :(
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 207
    Well, yup. To tell you the truth, I never really bonded with that thing. I bought them in the 60's so they were just good used guitars then, now look! I just sold both a few years ago. I've played other original ones which were better.

*(Don't tell any owners of original 58 bursts this)* , but I've had 80's Pauls from the alleged "Bad Years" that were just as nice as the legendary "collectors" items. I think they became collectors items because a few people who could play like all hell used them and no one ever could beat them! Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Peter Green, and Mick Taylor. Then Jimmy Page hit the scene and everybody wanted one!
    I never liked the fat necks and the tuners on mine wouldn't stay in tune and I never liked tuning all the time on stage. They were all different, and some of the pickups were amazing PAF's and some weren't. THEY ^ Sure had good ones! As well as Duane Allman!
    I travelled for a quite a long time and my overall guitars of choice were the SG and a Strat and a Tele.
    It's an SG with that cheesy Maestro tremolo on it, too, and crappy tuners, but it always stayed in tune at a gig. So many people couldn't stand those things but it always was there for me.

Yup, me and my SG. <3
    :D

It could've been the biggest tone turd in the country... if you had that Burst today... you'd be close to half a million richer, if it was clean, unmolested and original. There as rare as panda bear these days...

For me... Love LP's... I have an all original '59 TV Model and an '07 R9 Lemonburst:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c14/solsurfr/59TV/DSC03538.jpg
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c14/solsurfr/R9/DSC03572.jpg

BTW... I grew up in Newark, DE... graduated UD in '97. Go Blue Hens! :)
  • 2002 les paul standard double-cut plus
    2005 ES-137 classic