Options

Practice Time

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited March 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
How much time does everybody here put into practice time? How do you split up your practice time to get the most out of it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I need to practice like mad, but I just get way way to bored doing it. I rehearse or record for about 4-5 hours a week with the band that's it for me. Once in a while I'll play guitar or bass (not plugged in) while watching tv, but that's usually how i write.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    ianvomsaalianvomsaal Suncoast, FL Posts: 1,224
    If I'm feeling lazy (a lot lately), I'll half my practice routine and scrape by with about 1-hour a day.
    I generally I try to put in 2-hrs a day, 7-days a week - this helps maintain technique and keeps me fluent.
    When I was in Music Program at the University I was putting in 8 to 9hrs a day (it was a full time job in itself).

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    Jam10 wrote:
    How much time does everybody here put into practice time? How do you split up your practice time to get the most out of it?

I practise more or less depending upon what's coming up.

Anywhere from 2-5 hours a day. I prefer two and a half. I start with scales and arpeggios and a few etudes and Bach and then get to work on whatever I need to finish for what's coming up.

So, short answer would be: 45 minutes of technique, 2 hours or more on your pieces.

:)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    It depends, usually I try to go for 45 minutes to an hour a night, depending on what I'm working on. Yesterday I did about an hour in the afternoon and then another hour in the evening.

I do all this stuff by myself, I'm sure if I had a band or people around me I'd practice more.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Usually, an hour or so of just jamming along to CDs.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    I have a practice routine that I start with everyday. Chords, scales, arpeggios, etc etc. Takes about 20 minutes. Then I use different chord progressions that my instructor and I have recorded to practice voicing chords in a solo and addressing chord changes.

Then I wake up the neighborhood with PJ stuff. It's rare if I miss a day.

Does anyone else HAVE to warmup like I do?
  • Options
    Drew263 wrote:
    I have a practice routine that I start with everyday. Chords, scales, arpeggios, etc etc. Takes about 20 minutes. Then I use different chord progressions that my instructor and I have recorded to practice voicing chords in a solo and addressing chord changes.

Then I wake up the neighborhood with PJ stuff. It's rare if I miss a day.

Does anyone else HAVE to warmup like I do?
    I warmup with jamming... But, I'm best about 20 minutes in. I SHOULD get to practicing technique more, but I find I learn more just jamming, and then if I need to learn a certain technique to learn the part, then I'll learn it.

I'm gonna be gone for 10 days, and it'll be the longest I've ever gone without playing. My speed is gonna go down the tubes.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    I warmup with jamming... But, I'm best about 20 minutes in. I SHOULD get to practicing technique more, but I find I learn more just jamming, and then if I need to learn a certain technique to learn the part, then I'll learn it.

I'm gonna be gone for 10 days, and it'll be the longest I've ever gone without playing. My speed is gonna go down the tubes.

I've only been playing 2 years now but I've become an addict. I've probably only missed 8 or so days and I pretty much wig out when I do. My fiance thinks I'm insane but I have to play some everyday.

I have issues.. :eek:
  • Options
    Drew263 wrote:
    I've only been playing 2 years now but I've become an addict. I've probably only missed 8 or so days and I pretty much wig out when I do. My fiance thinks I'm insane but I have to play some everyday.

I have issues.. :eek:
    I've been playing seriously for about 4 years, and ya, it's an addicition.
  • Options
    NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Wow you guys, major guitar envy. Maybe it's my engineering-college-student environment, but I really don't have time to play as much as I used to anymore. I have so much work I'm lucky if I get to play for half an hour a couple times a week. Maybe that's why I suck so much.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    If i'm working, then i only get to pick up my guitar about half hour to an hour a day. I work days and nights and have days off, so on the days i'm not working, i can play for hours. If i averaged it out over a week or so, it would probably equate to a couple hours a day.

Does anyone else sleep near one of their guitars? I've had my favorite old acoustic propped up by the side of my bed for as long as i can remember. When i'm working the night shift, i have to sleep in the day, and that can sometimes get tricky, so if i wake up or can't sleep i pick it up and just play. It's very soothing.
  • Options
    ianvomsaalianvomsaal Suncoast, FL Posts: 1,224
    Since I had to practice so much in Music School, I'd even bring my guitar to work and practice on my breaks.
    Everyone would joke that they knew I was working that day because they saw the guitar in the break room.
    JAM, if you're serious about it you'll find a way to get in practice wherever and whenever you can.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian

BTW, How are those scales going????? I hope our last PM's sorted everything out.
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I play for a couple of hours most days. That's divided pretty much between pracrice and playing.

Yes, I really need to warm up, one of the reasons I hate playing guitars in stores. That and I feel I am intruding on everyone else's personal space too much. I don't play scales to warm up though much, I tend to play the intro to Metallica's "Seek and Destroy" cos it combines a pedal, string skipping, hammer'pull-off combinations and a complex little riff at the end that has your pick hand and fretting fingers going in opposite directions. I just find it a littel tricky to play, so I have to concentrate, and it warms me up nicely.
    When I was younger, I would have my guitar near me at all times.
    I thought I would miss it badly on my recent trip, but I got to drop into a few stores, and i was so knackerd after ski-ing every day, I was not too bothered. I had a TON of new Opeth CD's with me too, which kept withdrawal at bay. I often take one to work so I can practice during lunch. I ahevn't done that for a bit, has been too hot but the weather is coolingnow, so I'll probably get back to it.
    Often when I am playing late at night I sit in a big leather chair, practically laying down and I often fall asleep there, then wake up and can't get up cos I have a heavy guitar in my lap.
    It is an addiaciton, but a really nice one.
    I just signed up to Soundclick too, so I might be able to post some tone clips soon. They are pretty heavy on copyright, so unless I do the paperwork, the clips will be "informed by" rather than correct riffs.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks Ian for those scales, you really did sort everything out for me. It all makes sense now. It's really good to have a guy like you with a tonne of knowledge on this forum.
    I practice between an hour to 2 hours a day. I take private one on one lessons once a week as well which helps a lot. Some days I might only have a chance to practice about a half hour. I am married and have 1 daughter so my main priorities are my family first, but generally I'll play for an hour or 2. I bring my guitar to work every shift as well so I can get a lot of practice time at work.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Any new added suggestions? I'd love to know what everyone else is up to.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    I've been learning/playing since 2012. I practice every day before work for an hour- it helps me get in a good head space before I go to the office. I come home, and I'm usually fried, so I just play songs, mostly, to relax.

I practice scales with a metronome, to build up speed. Then other random stuff. You tube lessons, riffs, etc. I also use a looper to practice playing lead over chord progressions. I think recording myself has helped a ton. When you listen back to your own playing you can see where you're screwing up.
  • Options
    Nice! Metronome I haven't used yet as its intimidating. I have a DVD set I'm practicing, was and will resume with once I get my strings replaced. Super psyched to get back at it!
  • Options

Any thoughts? Does this help?
  • Options
    BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    I started on an acoustic, and had to work on not gripping the electric so tightly once I got one.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    FoxyRedLa said:

Any thoughts? Does this help?

Yes. Critical IMO.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Oh! Thanks I so appreciate that. I'm gonna order one up pronto! Thanks 2 feign.
  • Options
    When I worked in retail as a teen I would carry it around and use it while talking with customers about buying $18 CDs.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    My thoughts exactly. I have days at work I can use it too. Depending on my assignment. So geeked. Lol. Ordering almost all my xmas gifts Friday - then gift cards. Then we'll see what's left lol. My husband always gets pissed when I get stuff cuz my bday is right after xmas but oh well why break tradition now lol! I always just ask for a trip to guitar center anyways - love to just look around.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

My thoughts exactly. I have days at work I can use it too. Depending on my assignment. So geeked. Lol. Ordering almost all my xmas gifts Friday - then gift cards. Then we'll see what's left lol. My husband always gets pissed when I get stuff cuz my bday is right after xmas but oh well why break tradition now lol! I always just ask for a trip to guitar center anyways - love to just look around.

Next step? Record something and post it here!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Yikes. I will work up to that! Thanks for the confidence boost tho!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

All starts somewhere. I started out on a Tascam 4-track tape back in 2001. It's fun going back and hearing my development and improvement as a player.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,974

FoxyRedLa said:

All starts somewhere. I started out on a Tascam 4-track tape back in 2001. It's fun going back and hearing my development and improvement as a player.
    When I was in high school and playing with my first band, none of us could afford proper recording gear. We used to plug a pair of headphones into the microphone jack on my friends boom box to use as a microphone. Lesson learned? It sounded like shit but it worked and it allowed us to listen to ourselves on tape.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    2-feign - I got my finger strengthening tool! Lol I can't think of what it's called and I'm not getting up and waking my son :lol: Wow forgot how weak my pinky is! Got my work cut out for me. Excited to get a practice routine going! Thanks again for your input.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

2-feign - I got my finger strengthening tool! Lol I can't think of what it's called and I'm not getting up and waking my son :lol: Wow forgot how weak my pinky is! Got my work cut out for me. Excited to get a practice routine going! Thanks again for your input.

Yes!!! Go hands, go!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    am I the only one who rights a setlist before they play and then plays it like a concert? I find it fun haha :lol:
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]