Jimmy Page or Mike McCready?

Comments

• What a silly post. Without Page there would be no McCready.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    By The Way:
    Who else knew that Page used a Telecaster (NOT a Les Paul) and a small Supro amp to
    record "Stairway To Heaven"
    - I guess it's why he was known as a real tone chameleon.
    '
    '

I read that somewhere about 6 months ago and was floored.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I read that somewhere about 6 months ago and was floored.
    ehh, who knows, you could have heard it from me (I've posted that on here before).
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Jimmy = arguably the greatest song writing guitarist that's ever lived.

Mikey = good. very good. one of my favorite guitarists. better than Page? nope. not even close.

I agree with this

stone is the riffmeister
    mike is the solo god

Jimmy is/was both
    IMHO, no one even comes close
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    is this a serious question? jimmy page is prob the third best guitarist of all time, behind clapton and hendrix. lets be serious.

Well, first we should probably clarify that with "rock" guitarist. I'm sure there are many, many folks that are better than them in the classical guitar area. Their music is just not popular.

I guess it comes down to "chops" vs. "songwriting". Those who write famous songs may not have better chops, but they are more visible as their songs are more popular.
  • Well, first we should probably clarify that with "rock" guitarist. I'm sure there are many, many folks that are better than them in the classical guitar area. Their music is just not popular.

Funny you say this. I was just checking this out. 26 year old virtuoso:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=cFo9eRKeZY0&feature=related

Otherwise, between the two, I prefer Jimmy Page. The solos I like the best are the ones where he's out on the edge and on the verge of collapse and then he pulls out. That tension in his playing is what I love about it!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

but I don't listen to Zeppelin that much
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Mike is by far the cleaner player - Page is by far the better arranger - I've always been quite
    underwhelmed by Clapton (and some people call him GOD), so I guess it's all up to interpretation.

- Ian

By The Way:
    Who else knew that Page used a Telecaster (NOT a Les Paul) and a small Supro amp to
    record "Stairway To Heaven"
    - I guess it's why he was known as a real tone chameleon.
    '
    '

:D I knew I knew!

The whole first album was Tele and a Supro. He was all about playing the edge of the distortion, mike placement and the room he was recording in, too.
    I saw them several times back in the early 70's and once he yanked out the trusty old couple-a hundred dollar Danelectro and played Kashmir.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Jam10 wrote:
    Which guitar player do you prefer and why?
    Really? Page because...he's Jimmy Page.

There you go. No other explanation necessary.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • MikosMikos Posts: 14
    I can't really say I've listened to alot of page or even seen any of his live work, but I just like the shows PJ puts on. Never seen another band appreciate the crowd so much and do so much interaction. Mike will always be one of my, if not the, favourite guitarists ever but he may not necessarily be the best ever, but why does that matter?
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Mikos wrote:
    I can't really say I've listened to alot of page or even seen any of his live work, but I just like the shows PJ puts on. Never seen another band appreciate the crowd so much and do so much interaction. Mike will always be one of my, if not the, favourite guitarists ever but he may not necessarily be the best ever, but why does that matter?

yeh i guess people are talking about on a technical level e.g. who can play faster or whatever
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    If you combine his guitar playing, songwriting, arranging and producing, Jimmy Page is the greatest to have walked this earth.

Therefore, as much as i love Mike, gotta be Jimmy!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    is this a serious question? jimmy page is prob the third best guitarist of all time, behind clapton and hendrix. lets be serious.
    The question wasn't "which is better" it was "who do you prefer?" Why shouldn't it be serious?

I am aware that Jimmy Page is much more influential, important and probably a better player than Mike but I personally prefer Mike's playing.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • edved82 wrote:
    If you combine his guitar playing, songwriting, arranging and producing, Jimmy Page is the greatest to have walked this earth.
    Nah I dunno about that either :p

Talking about influence, soul, songwriting, etc it's the other Jimi (Hendrix) first.

Talking technical skill, tone building, etc,.. I choose Eric Johnson. That guy is the absolute apitome of a a guitar player. He's the best. And I could take or leave most of his music. He's got the skill of the other shredders but has enormous taste - something a guy like Steve Vai is incapable of. Cliffs of Dover is a badass song if you need an example (It's on the new guitar hero :p).

If you've the ability, download his 1980... eighty-something,.. texas,... somewhere in texas,.. performance. You gotta actually see this guy play.

From that performance: http://youtube.com/watch?v=tfETk4pFUOA (Cliffs of Dover)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

"Make our day"
    Nah I dunno about that either :p

Talking about influence, soul, songwriting, etc it's the other Jimi (Hendrix) first.

Talking technical skill, tone building, etc,.. I choose Eric Johnson. That guy is the absolute apitome of a a guitar player. He's the best. And I could take or leave most of his music. He's got the skill of the other shredders but has enormous taste - something a guy like Steve Vai is incapable of. Cliffs of Dover is a badass song if you need an example (It's on the new guitar hero :p).

If you've the ability, download his 1980... eighty-something,.. texas,... somewhere in texas,.. performance. You gotta actually see this guy play.

From that performance: http://youtube.com/watch?v=tfETk4pFUOA (Cliffs of Dover)
    Cliffs of Dover is indeed incredible and he has great tone but I don't think he has passion. Johnson is a little too methodical with his runs etc. He never looks into it. Your Vai comparison is a little off because, next to Johnson, Vai is the only other shredder worth anything. You could've chosen Michael Angelo Batio or someone deserving of the mockery :) Search for Tender Surrender by Vai on youtube, the live version and you will see someone equally as (if not more) technically able, also playing with taste AND emotion.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Cliffs of Dover is indeed incredible and he has great tone but I don't think he has passion. Johnson is a little too methodical with his runs etc. He never looks into it. Your Vai comparison is a little off because, next to Johnson, Vai is the only other shredder worth anything. You could've chosen Michael Angelo Batio or someone deserving of the mockery :) Search for Tender Surrender by Vai on youtube, the live version and you will see someone equally as (if not more) technically able, also playing with taste AND emotion.
    Vai is a pompus dick who has fans on stage to blow his hair back.

Eric Johnson took the insturment beyond shredding. He's a bit methodical, but it seems the more skillful and knowledgable about theory a guitar player gets the more methodical he gets, so maybe it's a necessary evil to put up with for that kind of technicality. Johnson is still the only one of the "shredders" I've ever been able to stand (and in fact I'm quite fond of him).

Read up on him. I don't feel like typing about his techniques and equipment right now but there's a lot to say.

"Make our day"
  • Vai is a pompus dick who has fans on stage to blow his hair back.

Eric Johnson took the insturment beyond shredding. He's a bit methodical, but it seems the more skillful and knowledgable about theory a guitar player gets the more methodical he gets, so maybe it's a necessary evil to put up with for that kind of technicality. Johnson is still the only one of the "shredders" I've ever been able to stand (and in fact I'm quite fond of him).

Read up on him. I don't feel like typing about his techniques and equipment right now but there's a lot to say.

Steve Vai is a tool

I don't mind a few of his songs though.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    Vai is a pompus dick who has fans on stage to blow his hair back.

:eek: you seem to be assuming that I don't know anything about either. I own Ah Via Musicom by Johnson and a couple of Vai albums and feel that Vai gets a bad rep. The guy is a cock and the fan is unforgivable but his musicianship is undeniable and yet for some reason people tend to lump him in with useless "speed" guitarists like Batio, Malmsteen and Becker when really, Vai's speed is never used just to show off. There are few pointless superspeed scalar runs. When he uses speed it is in order to convey something. His grasp of melody is incredible and he technically destroys everyone, including Johnson, and I'm not talking about speed. In terms of ability to make a guitar do what he wants it to do, he can't be beaten. I have never seen a guitarist so at home with his instrument.

That's the difference between him and Johnson. Johnson had some wonderful music but he always seems to be going through the motions. No matter how beautiful the melody and his tone might be, you never really get the impression that he's doing anything other than running on autopilot. Don't get me wrong There are few guitarists who I would say have taken the instrument "beyond" shredding and both Johnson and Vai are definitely two of those.
  • Vai is a great guitar player, no question about that. He's realllllly fucking good.

But he can't write, has shit sense of melody, one of the biggest ego's in music, and his tone can't even touch Eric's.

Steve Vai is like a basketball player who's the best "slam dunker" in the world but is at a high school level in every other aspect.

He's a great guitar player but has no soul - and I mean that musically and otherwise. The man thinks he's the fucking shit.

We better just agree to disagree, because there's not a damn thing in the world that can make me like Steve Vai. Even when I see him playing with Zappa I can't stand him.

"Make our day"
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Mike!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Vai is a great guitar player, no question about that. He's realllllly fucking good.

But he can't write, has shit sense of melody, one of the biggest ego's in music, and his tone can't even touch Eric's.

Steve Vai is like a basketball player who's the best "slam dunker" in the world but is at a high school level in every other aspect.

He's a great guitar player but has no soul - and I mean that musically and otherwise. The man thinks he's the fucking shit.

We better just agree to disagree, because there's not a damn thing in the world that can make me like Steve Vai. Even when I see him playing with Zappa I can't stand him.

Steve Vai is to the 80's what today's old hippies are to the 60's/70's. Ditch the long hair, tight leather pants and the muscle shirt.
  • Just on technical ability, I'd have to say Mike.
    However:
    Page's riff writing and song writing are beyond reproach.
    Plus, Page was a true pioneer - In terms of contempory rock - anybody who's anybody will cite Page as a major influence.

So, all things considered - JIMMY.
    Brixton Academy, London: 14/07/93
    Wembley Arena, London: 29/10/96
    MEN Arena, Manchester: 04/06/00
    Air Canada Centre, Toronto: 05/10/00
    ISS Dome, Dusseldorf: 21/06/07

Brad: Phoenix Theatre, Toronto: 31/10/02
  • Jimmy Page no question.
    model, role model, roll some models in blood
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Twigster wrote:
    Just on technical ability, I'd have to say Mike.
    However:
    Page's riff writing and song writing are beyond reproach.
    Plus, Page was a true pioneer - In terms of contempory rock - anybody who's anybody will cite Page as a major influence.

So, all things considered - JIMMY.

Oh no, sorry, but Mike has not a fraction of Page's technical ability. He makes really tricky things sound simple, so just how technical he is can be missed.
    I was playing that simple sounding solo line from Black Dog yesterday, well I was looking at it anyway, because it is about 100 times harder that it sounds, and has about 10 times as many notes as I though it did.
    I still like Mike though.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    Jimmy Page is crazy awesome... the best ever!

He routinely tried shit even he couldn't do...

its often hurts to listen...

must bow your head when you mention Jimmy Page - not compare him to other humans.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Jooooosh wrote:
    Page has influenced and inspired me more than Mike.

Who has Mike McCready influenced? The Pit aside, I don't remember ever reading or hearing anyone say, "I picked up the guitar b/c of Mike McCready."
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    speaking of jimmy page, great recent interview of him.

i loved this bit "It's passionate music and that passion is still the foundation"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w-N42S8BFT8 (part one)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0gyVKC2tyE4&feature=related (part 2)
  • chakochako Posts: 4
    Mike Mike Mike!!! :D