Jimmy Page or Mike McCready?

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Which guitar player do you prefer and why?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Gee, that's a tough one.... :D
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Mike. I respect Jimmy but I'm just not a big fan. They're both amazing but Mike is more my style and when I'm playing, I have a lot of the same mannerisms that Mike does when he plays. I'm not anywhere close to Mike, obviously, but it's nice to pretend.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Jimmy Page is an absolute legend. While Mike is great, but he has the advantage of borrowing from his predecessors. He even admits Jimmy Page was a huge influence.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    is this a serious question? jimmy page is prob the third best guitarist of all time, behind clapton and hendrix. lets be serious.
  • Page has influenced and inspired me more than Mike.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Page is the man as far as guitar players go. While Mike is one of the modern guitar masters he is underated and not in Jimmy or Jimi's league. There isnt really a contest and I'm not even an expert. Jimmy is god as far as guitar players go. He is a players player. He has influenced everyone since his reign on the planet.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • is this a serious question? jimmy page is prob the third best guitarist of all time, behind clapton and hendrix. lets be serious.

Check out a thread on TheGearPage that reads "Will Hendrix ever NOT be the greatest guitarist of all time??"

Many people will disagree that Hendrix is best of all time. I can name about 20 other guitarists that I'd rather listen to than Hendrix.

I don't think there can be any "best" guitarist of all time. A guitarist can be great, good, decent and shitty, but it's a totally subjective opinion.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • is this a serious question? jimmy page is prob the third best guitarist of all time, behind clapton and hendrix. lets be serious.
    What about BB King, Les Paul, and Slash? Even John Fruicisiwjbeijblf(however the hell you spell the current Peppers guitarist), and Tony Iommi are ones I'd rather listen to than Jimmy
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    the point is jimmy page is one of the best guitarist of all time. I agree everything is objective but there are still guitar players that are considered up there as the best including jimmy page and mike is a long way behind that standard.

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    j manics :cool:
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    whilst Mike is a good.... Jimmy is god

so he's only one letter away from him ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • FitzFitz Posts: 169
    Mike without a doubt, Page is over hyped imho.
    "First of all, there’s the palpable camaraderie and good feeling you get from the entire band as they smile and nod at each other, and huddle together in various formations throughout the show --- They look like they really like each other. They look stoked!"
    this is a ridiculous comparison... It's like saying linkin park are better than pearl jam. mike is good but owes it all to jimmy.

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Jimmy = arguably the greatest song writing guitarist that's ever lived.

Mikey = good. very good. one of my favorite guitarists. better than Page? nope. not even close.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Fitz wrote:
    Mike without a doubt, Page is over hyped imho.

Page is overhyped by journos... but not so by other guitar players and his peers... i just read Classic Rocks latest Led Zep special and other fab guitar players are on it givinghim the credit and respect he's due.

its opinion i know, but its like saying Maradona or Ayrton Senna were overhyped... they werent.. they were the best at what they did but it didnt suit everyone's tastes.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I just have a slight bone to pick with JP....

buddy... how many GREATEST HITS albums are you gonna remaster?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Page did some fantastic stuff, but live to me was on the sloppy side. Lots of guitarist back then were on the sloppy side live though.

As for Clapton, in one of the top three? Yikes, I hope not. No offense, I just think Clapton is over hyped.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,262
    this is hard i've seen live PAGE with the full ZEPP line up also saw CLAPTON LIVE ,MIKE about 30 times if i had the choice of who i wanted to see again i would choose MIKE ,oh never saw HENDRIX ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • The moral of the story is...

1.Mike is nowhere near Page's level.
    2. There is no best, however someone can be "one of the best"
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    The moral of the story is...

1.Mike is nowhere near Page's level.
    2. There is no best, however someone can be "one of the best"

the post asked who people preferred listening to. so what do either of these posts have to do with that?
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Mike - good at what he does, limits himself to blues based solo stuff on electric and a couple of tunings, not a lot of modal variation, with very occasional slide and open tuning work, solid technique, but nothing hair-raising, don't get me wrong, I like him a lot, very nice touch, gives a song what it needs, no more, no less

Page - was in a better position to pioneer stuff since a lot of stuff had not been done, outstanding at what he did, master of all styles from electric rhythm and lead, acoustic , including 6 and 12 string, open tunings, slide, hybrid picking, explosive technique and wild innovation esp the violin bow work, masterful producer and song-writer as well

I don't like ranking people, these were just some comparative thoughts.

Who I prefer ? I prefer them both.

I also think the Clapton is pretty over-rated. It's not that he has not done some tasty stuff, cos he has, but his overall volume of great work is pretty small to me. The opening riff to LAyla is great, but there are not enough moments like that. I loved his acoustric effort, but was underwhelmed by "The Cream of Eric Clapton"
    Music is not a competetion.
  • the post asked who people preferred listening to. so what do either of these posts have to do with that?

Right... The POST did ask that question... but the THREAD brought up mentions of "best guitarist of all time". There is more to a thread than the original post, am I wrong? I also believe the first part of my post reads "1. Mike is not anywhere near Page's level" which does answer the exact question that the original thread asks... so I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

"best guitarist of all time"
    is this a serious question? jimmy page is prob the third best guitarist of all time, behind clapton and hendrix. lets be serious.

and "one of the best guitarists of all time"
    Zoso wrote:
    the point is jimmy page is one of the best guitarist of all time

So my question to you is...

What exactly do you have to do with this thread?
  • I'd know Page's tone in a sonic fog, and I love his 12-string guitar work, so I'd have to say I'd go with Page.

I prefer Bert Jansch to either of them, though. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-CkH56G34
  • Page is better, as said before though, he is sloppy live though.
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    Page by a mile in every aspect. He did slop it up live on more than one occasion though.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • is this thread a joke? jimmy page without any doubt
    there'll be time for laughin'
    there's no time to cry
    soon i will be leavin'
    look me in the eye
    no matter what's in front of me
    it's your face that i'll see
  • solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 207
    I hate to bump this thread up again but even Mike would laugh at this comparison. Page is one of the Godfathers of rock and roll. It's not even a fair comparison.
    i like mike's work but jimmy stood out in every song maybe because there was just one guitar player in zep but he owned the stage. Pearl Jam blend in more as a band.

• DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    Got to be Pagey......
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Mike is by far the cleaner player - Page is by far the better arranger - I've always been quite
    underwhelmed by Clapton (and some people call him GOD), so I guess it's all up to interpretation.

- Ian

By The Way:
    Who else knew that Page used a Telecaster (NOT a Les Paul) and a small Supro amp to
    record "Stairway To Heaven"
    - I guess it's why he was known as a real tone chameleon.
    '
    '
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫