Frusciante, Mayer and Trucks...

2»

Comments

• scot88 wrote:
    The way i feel is this: Mayer plays on a level that i could (possibly) achieve if i locked myself in a room for a year or so and did nothing else but play. Derek Trucks, on the other hand, has that "x" factor, where no matter how much you practice, you could never achieve his level.

I agree about that X factor but I think Mayer has one of his own, maybe not as significant though. If this doesn't sell you on John Mayer, nothing will. I love his playing on this tune (at least from 2:40 on once you get past the sissy pop shit) and I'm not even really a fan of him overall. I love his ability but not a big fan of his choices in songwriting.

Lots of dynamics, originality, and feel.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhYwZePFY7o
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Mayer's got talent as a songwriter as well.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Mayer's got talent as a songwriter as well.

I agree. It's just not my style though.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    That was cool! All are great guitarists in their own way. Trucks is probably the best player, but the worst songwriter. Frusciante is probably the least technical, but I dig his recordings way more than the other two. It's my theory that "sloppier" players are generally better in the studio. It's less mechanic and the engineer is more likely to capture magic after sifting through the takes. That's the thing though, it takes more takes because they aren't nailing it on the first time. I consider Jimmy Page to be another "sloppy" guitarist. Of course they are still guitar gods and have good chops... it's just that they aren't playing the "Berklee" style of music-- shredding scales flawlessly with little emotion.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    well i heard Frusciante beat them BOTH at Guitar Hero III.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around