Frusciante, Mayer and Trucks...

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
This is cool to watch. There's a video of them jamming together and talking about their love of guitar.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/02/07/watch-our-new-guitar-gods-doing-what-they-do-best-playing-live-and-loud/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    This is cool to watch. There's a video of them jamming together and talking about their love of guitar.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/02/07/watch-our-new-guitar-gods-doing-what-they-do-best-playing-live-and-loud/
    Let's face it, Frusciante doesn't belong in the same room as derek trucks (and mayer to a lesser extent) when it comes to sheer talent.

creative? yes. talented? much less so.
  • there are a lot of people who would disagree with you there, but u possibly are correct,
    but id like to see derek trucks make 6 impressive (not dud) albums in six months, all being a different style

and right now im to lazy to go check if he has done that,

but cool video
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Well, i didn't post the link to get into a he is better than him debate, but i do think Frusciante can hold his head up high in the same room as them. I just thought it was really cool to see them having fun and hanging out and talking about their love of guitar.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Thanks for posting, that's what jamming is all about, not who's better than the next.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Thanks.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Well, i didn't post the link to get into a he is better than him debate, but i do think Frusciante can hold his head up high in the same room as them. I just thought it was really cool to see them having fun and hanging out and talking about their love of guitar.
    i got that, but the article is about the "new guitar gods" or something like that. Frusciante has never made me sit back and think, "wow, that man sure can play," like derek trucks and john mayer.
  • I totally disagree with you on subject of John Frusciante. To me, he's the greatest guitar player of today. Having been into him for many years and having been running the biggest website in the world about him for more than 3 years (http://www.invisible-movement.net , feel free to check it out), I have probably spent months viewing videos of him play, listening to him play and I had the pleasure of standing 1.5 metres away from him on one of the most inspired performances he gave with RHCP in 2006 in Vienna. The man can play, he feels every single note he's playing, his fingers move accross the fretboard at an enormous speed. When I was photographing him at Green Fest in 2007, I didn't manage to photograph his fingers during Don't Forget Me. And, I don't know how familiar people here are with his solo albums, but the variety of styles on them is, well, immense.

Didn't you notice that Mayer and Trucks were not able to follow him? He was told by the RS staff to play a bit more "bluesy", in order to synch with them. He's amazing on both acoustic and electric guitar, he definitely deserves to be there and in any other classification on great guitar players.

And he's not only a guitar player, he's also an amazing singer, he's quite good on piano, he's one of the most innovative musicians of today.
    Iva... wrote:
    I totally disagree with you on subject of John Frusciante. To me, he's the greatest guitar player of today. Having been into him for many years and having been running the biggest website in the world about him for more than 3 years (http://www.invisible-movement.net , feel free to check it out), I have probably spent months viewing videos of him play, listening to him play and I had the pleasure of standing 1.5 metres away from him on one of the most inspired performances he gave with RHCP in 2006 in Vienna. The man can play, he feels every single note he's playing, his fingers move accross the fretboard at an enormous speed. When I was photographing him at Green Fest in 2007, I didn't manage to photograph his fingers during Don't Forget Me. And, I don't know how familiar people here are with his solo albums, but the variety of styles on them is, well, immense.

Didn't you notice that Mayer and Trucks were not able to follow him? He was told by the RS staff to play a bit more "bluesy", in order to synch with them. He's amazing on both acoustic and electric guitar, he definitely deserves to be there and in any other classification on great guitar players.

And he's not only a guitar player, he's also an amazing singer, he's quite good on piano, he's one of the most innovative musicians of today.

have you heard derek trucks?
  • cool vid & all amazing guitarists, thanks for posting

i'll never forget when i heard derek trucks play with clapton live, put simply it blew my mind
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I've seen Frusciante live a few times and he was terrible. Worst live lead guitarist I have ever seen. Could not pull off a solo to save his ass.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Though they are all decent players in their own right, I don't feel Frusciante is on the same level as Trucks or Mayer.
    I know that there are die hard Frus fans (hence Iva’s site - there are many Mayer and Trucks fan sites). Frusciante
    doesn't seem to be as much of a deep blues inspired player as say Mayer or Trucks, so he didn't really fit with the
    others (and I think we can all agree that their jam was just an entirely staged photo shoot, complete CRAP, and
    by far not representative of their playing as a whole - I know they can all play much better than that - photo shoot).
    Luckily, I've had the opportunity to play with both Mayer and Trucks, and for me I'd say that Trucks is probably the
    most inspiring and virtuosic player of the bunch (Frusciante has just always seemed to be off in his own little world).

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    Why does everything have to be over analyzed. I enjoyed their stories about when they first started playing, but that's just me. That's the bits i took out of the interview. Like back when they were young, they were no different that us, they just wanted to play guitar. Of course it was 'staged', that's the rollingstone for you. I didn't watch it expecting them to come out and justify their greatness by playing an 18-string guitar and creating the "J" chord.
    Voiceless wrote:
    i'll never forget when i heard derek trucks play with clapton live, put simply it blew my mind
    me too. i saw them around this time last year, and trucks was simply awesome. he was hanging back a bit at first, more than happy for clapton to take the limelight, which was very humble of him. when he opened up he was just amazing. they did little wing together, was so cool, and trucks playing in the outro to layla was brilliant. awesome to watch him live.
  • on the issue with john frusciante can i add that he doesnt delve into blues nearly as much as the others, and yeh he did seem to be in his own little world, but he's always like that
  • I've seen Frusciante live a few times and he was terrible. Worst live lead guitarist I have ever seen. Could not pull off a solo to save his ass.
    I'd agree with you there, not quite to the same extent, but yes his solos are pretty nasty at times. Now and again he'll do something that will make me think "wow, maybe this guy isn't as bad as I thought" but then the next song will consist of one note being bent with feedback for 2 minutes in the place of a "guitar solo". And don't say he "feels every note" just because he puts a pained expression on his face. Anyone can do that.
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    As far as John Mayer is concerned. He is the best guitar player that i hate. I do not like his interperation of the blues at all. I find everything he does in terrible taste. However... His talent though is unquestionable. I have no grounds to dislike him other than my opinion but it is a really strong one. When i'm playing i make sure i sound nothing like him.

Then again what would you expect from someone who's favourite guitar players are stone gossard and dan from the black keys.
    leethal wrote:
    As far as John Mayer is concerned. He is the best guitar player that i hate. I do not like his interperation of the blues at all. I find everything he does in terrible taste. However... His talent though is unquestionable. I have no grounds to dislike him other than my opinion but it is a really strong one. When i'm playing i make sure i sound nothing like him.

Then again what would you expect from someone who's favourite guitar players are stone gossard and dan from the black keys.
    I'm a fan, i just ignore the elevator music he puts out. 'Try' is a damn good blues rock album, it really show cases his talent.
  • leethal wrote:

That makes sense, because Stone couldn't play Blues to save his life.
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    And don't say he "feels every note" just because he puts a pained expression on his face. Anyone can do that.

I'm not even gonna get into the whole "he feels it" thing because that is just a stupid argument and you apparently just think it's an act anyway. But what I will say is that Frusciante blows Mayer out of the water because he doesn't just regurgitate the same blues licks we have been hearing all of our lives. Mayer, while his fingers can move, hardly ever brings anything new to the table, and he just gets old to me.

Frusciante's solos are awesome, but that again is all a matter of opinion.

Derek Trucks just kicks fuckin' ass, and I love to listen to him. Would STILL rather go see Frusciante any day though because I love all of the stuff he has written.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • I'd agree with you there, not quite to the same extent, but yes his solos are pretty nasty at times. Now and again he'll do something that will make me think "wow, maybe this guy isn't as bad as I thought" but then the next song will consist of one note being bent with feedback for 2 minutes in the place of a "guitar solo". And don't say he "feels every note" just because he puts a pained expression on his face. Anyone can do that.

one note this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCvZgxeMNDE
  • fleahorse wrote:
    Read what I said again. That is one of the occasions where I'd say that that is fairly impressive. He's not doing anything especially interesting; some of those minor scale hammer-ons and pull-offs were quite cool but those are some tried and tested pentatonic licks that he overuses.
    fleahorse wrote:
    Hmmm, I'm NOT all that impressed - the title of this says "amazing," so I was expecting something
    a bit more. He's just playing some (yes, over-used) pentatonic licks - nothing all that special there.

- Ian
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Hmmm, I'm NOT all that impressed - the title of this says "amazing," so I was expecting something
    a bit more. He's just playing some (yes, over-used) pentatonic licks - nothing all that special there.

- Ian
    This dude likes the penatonic scale, too, and he's so good I think most people would blow him if given the opportunity.

If you're good, you're just good. I mean, right? This is how I always looked at it. Also, what is so different about guitarists using the pentatonic scale or if they write a Am-G-F chord progression? Are All Along The Watchtower, Crazy Mary and the end of Stairway bad because they use that progression?

SRV didn't have a whole lot of variety to him and he was fucking fantastic. It's not the notes you play, but how you play them.
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    This dude likes the penatonic scale, too, and he's so good I think most people would blow him if given the opportunity.
    i know i sure would ;)

but seriously, i love warren.
    Pj_Gurl wrote:

If you're good, you're just good. I mean, right? This is how I always looked at it. Also, what is so different about guitarists using the pentatonic scale or if they write a Am-G-F chord progression? Are All Along The Watchtower, Crazy Mary and the end of Stairway bad because they use that progression?

SRV didn't have a whole lot of variety to him and he was fucking fantastic. It's not the notes you play, but how you play them.
    Warren Haynes is a really great player, and he's got a quite original sound (and he's even better now).
    There's nothing wrong with using pentatonic scales (shit, I use them all the time) - it's about originality.
    SRV was very original in his approach, and all those muted up-strokes in his rhythm are difficult to do "well.”
    I mentioned Frus's "over-used" pentatonic licks, meaning "unoriginal" because so many people use those same "over-used" licks.
    Plus the title of the video said "amazing,” which it really wasn't - I knew I'd irk a few Frusciante fans, that's cool :)

- Ian
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Warren Haynes is a really great player, and he's got a quite original sound (and he's even better now).
    There's nothing wrong with using pentatonic scales (shit, I use them all the time) - it's about originality.
    SRV was very original in his approach, and all those muted up-strokes in his rhythm are difficult to do "well.”
    I mentioned Frus's "over-used" pentatonic licks, meaning "unoriginal" because so many people use those same "over-used" licks.
    Plus the title of the video said "amazing,” which it really wasn't - I knew I'd irk a few Frusciante fans, that's cool :)

- Ian
    you didn't irk me:), i respect your opinions, and i also realize that, whilst you are a rather awesome musician, you can't be right all the time ;) hehe smile...
    derek trucks is fucking mind-boggling.
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    you didn't irk me:), i respect your opinions, and i also realize that, whilst you are a rather awesome musician, you can't be right all the time ;) hehe smile...
    Naaa, I'm always right, (didn't you know that ~hehe, snicker, snicker) ;)
  • derek trucks is fucking mind-boggling.

I think Trucks is a bit better than Mayer, and both are pretty far above Frusciante. I've tried but never gotten into Frusciante.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    I think Trucks is a bit better than Mayer, and both are pretty far above Frusciante. I've tried but never gotten into Frusciante.

The way i feel is this: Mayer plays on a level that i could (possibly) achieve if i locked myself in a room for a year or so and did nothing else but play. Derek Trucks, on the other hand, has that "x" factor, where no matter how much you practice, you could never achieve his level.