Does Mike deserve his own signature guitar?

2»

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Making money has nothing to do with "selling out". Green Day changed themselves completely to make money after a couple flops of an album and almost completely disappearing for whatever reason. The album actually wasn't half bad, I'd say better than anything they've ever done honestly, but I can't respect them at all.

Anyway, that's off topic :rolleyes:

If Mike had a signature guitar it would be a dark sunburst strat,.. like that ancient one he plays Even Flow on. But I love how he switches things up so much.. That's something that always bugs the hell out of me is when guitarists never change their guitar. Like Frusciante,.. he's great and all, but cmon, does he have to ALWAYS play a strat?

It always works! That man shouldn't change a damn thing!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Frusciante also has a white Gretsch hollowbody, I forget which video he plays it in.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Novawind wrote:
    Frusciante also has a white Gretsch hollowbody, I forget which video he plays it in.
    probably Otherside. I saw him use a hollowbody during it live. Still, other than that i've only seen him with a strat.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Thorns2010 wrote:
    Is it wrong that I would buy a signature Mike guitar and I don't even play guitar???

Yes.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Is it wrong that I would buy a signature Mike guitar and I don't even play guitar???

Not at all. Guitars are as much art as function, and most people who buy art don't paint or sculpt. If you have an attitude about owning something, ie think it makes you a better person or whatever, then that is to do with your attitude. If you buy something for pleasure of ownership, cos you want it, then what makes a particular guitar different to any other consumer product you choose ?? Who knows, it might inspire you to start playing, you could be the next big thing, or your little brother, or the kid next door might be cos of you having it.
    I think it is wrong that anyone would presume to tell what you should or should not like. I think that is called tribalism !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • + Avagadro's number

Everyone wants to be a rock star so they can be rich ! They also want the music they love to be loved by everybody, cos that proves what good taste they have. Then when that happens, "it's a sellout" !!
    ON guitar smashing, I totally agree that it is a crime to smash a beautiful handbuilt guitar. As I have said, they are all female, and it's like bashing women. It shows a total lack of respect to the craftsman who built it, to the music and to themselves. Mass produced junk guitars, maybe under extreme circumstances, like it is old and unplayable and of no use to anyone.

whoa... you just gave me a nightmarish flashback to 10th grade chemistry class... lol...

"selling out" can pretty much be defined as doing something that contradicts one's own moral convictions for the purpose of monetary gain. as such, only the accused can know for sure whether he/she did in fact sell out (although the power of denial is an amazing thing). the rest of us can only speculate.

certainly there are bands out there that have distanced themselves from their preferred style of music in order to make money (i think the goo goo dolls have openly admitted to this). it's a ridiculous thing to do, because if you are truly talented, then you should be able to make money playing the style music that you love.

of course, this theory does not account for the fact that breaking into the music industry is 99% luck regardless of what style of music you play.

in any case, i like your guitar smashing analogy, LP.
  • Thorns2010 wrote:

no. in fact, it may very well be the least wrong thing ever in the history of human existence...

unless of course it was a limited run and you bought the last one, thus preventing me from getting my own...

then we'd have a problem. ;)

one minor detail is that a masterbuilt '59 stratocaster relic retails for around $5400 i think, so i can't even imagine how much it would cost after they aged it to look like mike's.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Thorns2010 wrote:

It's only wrong if it's wrong for you. If you bought it as a piece of functional art, you wouldn't be wrong. If you bought it for its potential collectible value, it would be speculative at best. If you bouught it because you love Mike, you might better show your love by donating the same amount of money to the CCFA.

At the end of the day, it's your money. Do with it as you see fit. Buying a guitar isn't the worst thing a person can do :). And hey, if you happen to learn Rear View Mirror one day for kicks, all the better.

In short...no...not wrong. I'd only like to caution that buying a MMcC signature guitar will not make one sound or play like Mike...which is where the marketing comes in. Mike would sound like Mike on a student model guitar.
    no. in fact, it may very well be the least wrong thing ever in the history of human existence...

unless of course it was a limited run and you bought the last one, thus preventing me from getting my own...

then we'd have a problem. ;)

one minor detail is that a masterbuilt '59 stratocaster relic retails for around $5400 i think, so i can't even imagine how much it would cost after they aged it to look like mike's.

Since it would have to be done by hand, you're probably looking at $10-12k...which is on the low side if you've been following the likes of Clapton's "Blackie" reissue, or some of the Hendrix models that were limited runs.
    Like other's have said, as cool as it would be, there's nothing really special appearance or otherwise about Mike's strats (other than the fact they're beat to hell!)
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • enharmonic wrote:
    Since it would have to be done by hand, you're probably looking at $10-12k...which is on the low side if you've been following the likes of Clapton's "Blackie" reissue, or some of the Hendrix models that were limited runs.
    Like other's have said, as cool as it would be, there's nothing really special appearance or otherwise about Mike's strats (other than the fact they're beat to hell!)

i would compare it to this jeff beck esquire:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Shop-Limited-Edition-Jeff-Beck-Tribute-Esquire?sku=517916

really no different than a normal re-issue. painstakingly beat to hell. $10,000.

i'm sure it sounds amazing but it's really more of an art piece than anything else.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    looking at relics makes me feel a bit better about accidentally dropping my strat yesterday.
    exhausted wrote:
    looking at relics makes me feel a bit better about accidentally dropping my strat yesterday.

How was the damage?
    i would compare it to this jeff beck esquire:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Shop-Limited-Edition-Jeff-Beck-Tribute-Esquire?sku=517916

really no different than a normal re-issue. painstakingly beat to hell. $10,000.

i'm sure it sounds amazing but it's really more of an art piece than anything else.

Yep.

You could go to a place like USA Custom Guitars, and spec one out 'til your heart's content...top of the line everything...and probably still come in under $2000. Plus, it would be YOURS :)

But there is great value in a piece like this if you're a collector. The sentimental value alone would make it worth it for many. Case in point, those Clapton Blackies were sold out before the production run was even finished.
    How was the damage?

a chip through the finish at the neck pocket, chips through the finish on either side of the bridge, a chip and small dent on the side/back.

nothing structural and nothing to the neck.

let the relicing begin. considering i once threw my old strat across a room into my amps, this is nothing.

just annoying because the strap got twisted and let go. stupid.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    exhausted wrote:
    a chip through the finish at the neck pocket, chips through the finish on either side of the bridge, a chip and small dent on the side/back.

nothing structural and nothing to the neck.

let the relicing begin. considering i once threw my old strat across a room into my amps, this is nothing.

just annoying because the strap got twisted and let go. stupid.

Ouch! Strap locks in the future?
    Ahh... This is why I ALWAYS use Strap Locks.
    moster78 wrote:
    Ouch! Strap locks in the future?

i just didn't have them on yet. i was working on the guitar's setup.

shit happens. it's a fender. it's the gibsons i baby.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    exhausted wrote:
    i just didn't have them on yet. i was working on the guitar's setup.

shit happens. it's a fender. it's the gibsons i baby.

I baby them all. I know its just a matter of time before they get their battle scars, but I want to delay it as long as possible!
    Fenders are the workin man's guitar, Gibsons are the the botique.
    Fenders are the workin man's guitar, Gibsons are the the botique.

dunno about that. Have you seen the price of some of the custom Shop Fenders? right up there with Gibsons.

for the money the big 3 are charging, I now buy instruments that are hand built by small company guys. I sleep better at night knowing that I am helping someone live their dream of being a working luthier...and I know that they appreciate it....just as I appreciate it when people support my music :)
    enharmonic wrote:
    dunno about that. Have you seen the price of some of the custom Shop Fenders? right up there with Gibsons.

for the money the big 3 are charging, I now buy instruments that are hand built by small company guys. I sleep better at night knowing that I am helping someone live their dream of being a working luthier...and I know that they appreciate it....just as I appreciate it when people support my music :)

You have links to any of these guys' sites?
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Fender AND Gibson would offer a signature guitar for Mike if his managament approached the said companies and the profit splits made sense. The truth is, McCready's management has not and he is not a name brand player. Most guitarists are not familiar with him and he will not sell guitars. Hate to say it, but that is the case. A signature Fender is 15K MAP and you are looking at prices that may hit 25K if the Van Halen guitar is a success, which it will be.

There ARE many signature flops, the Beck which I own was the most recent. Andy Summers is next and we will see how many buy it.

Are any of you inline for a Warren Hayes Les Paul? Probably not.

There are also differences between say a Mayer Strat, Clapton Martin and a Fender Blackie, Beck, Summers, etc.

Are you talking about a relic, or an American Vintage series?

Everyone wants to make a buck!

Lastly, if you do not own the guitar you can not copy it with the guitar company. So if Fender was approached by a group who wanted a McCready Strat Relic they would ask if you own it first.

I just got back from NAMM, I spent 2 full days with the Fender Custom shop.
    Photos are at http://www.theguitarhub.com under NAMM, ToneFest.
    You will see photos from the Auction, Dennis with my new Summers, and EVH ;) etc

If you have questions let me know.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board