Does Mike deserve his own signature guitar?

sapperskunksapperskunk Posts: 684
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was wondering what some people thought on whether or not he was worthy of a signature strat?

There's a ton of signature guitars out there, here's a simple search. Some worthy, some not.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?d=tp&q=signature+guitars&r=&src=00630

This guy deffinately deserved his.

http://www.gretschguitars.com/whatshot/rhh.html

It's like $ 3,300.00 bucks, yikes.
www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Well...he's sold millions of records, and he can play his ass off...so I'd say yeah. A shame that they throw a signature guitar at just about anyone these days. I tried a strat in Guitar Center once, and now Fender wants to give me a signature model :p

I'd say yes if it meant something. Dave Gilmour had to wait about 25 years.
  • enharmonic wrote:
    Well...he's sold millions of records, and he can play his ass off...so I'd say yeah. A shame that they throw a signature guitar at just about anyone these days. I tried a strat in Guitar Center once, and now Fender wants to give me a signature model :p

I'd say yes if it meant something. Dave Gilmour had to wait about 25 years.
    Yeah, I think it takes more than just being a bad ass and selling millions of records. He'll deserve one by their standards in 10 years.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I think he plays too many different types and brands of guitars to get a signature model in any one brand or model.
  • moster78 wrote:
    I think he plays too many different types and brands of guitars to get a signature model in any one brand or model.

Good point.
    www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I think Frusciante deserves one.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Unless the artist really wants a bunch of custom specs not available in any one instrument, signature models are just brownie points for the company. They are anyway, actually.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • moster78 wrote:

yeah, but when i think of mike mccready, i immediately think of the '59 strat... the "yellow ledbetter" guitar. that's the one i'd want to see as a signature model.

good description of it here:

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/gear/mike.html

here's a masterbuilt '59 re-issue from fender:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=9275000488

they would just have to give it the sunburst paint job and then apply "relic" treatment to make it look like mike's exact model. oh yeah... and a rosewood fretboard.

of course, this signature would be of absolutely no use to mike mccready (i'm sure he'd just buy another original '59 if he had to), and it's unlikely that he'd agree to have it built if it only served him for publicity purposes. but i know a lot fans (especially me) who would be very enthusiastic about the signature model.
    yeah, but when i think of mike mccready, i immediately think of the '59 strat... the "yellow ledbetter" guitar. that's the one i'd want to see as a signature model.

good description of it here:

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/gear/mike.html

here's a masterbuilt '59 re-issue from fender:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=9275000488

they would just have to give it the sunburst paint job and then apply "relic" treatment to make it look like mike's exact model. oh yeah... and a rosewood fretboard.

of course, this signature would be of absolutely no use to mike mccready (i'm sure he'd just buy another original '59 if he had to), and it's unlikely that he'd agree to have it built if it only served him for publicity purposes. but i know a lot fans (especially me) who would be very enthusiastic about the signature model.

I hear you, but when I think of Mike, I also think of him playing a Gibson Les Paul on "Alive" or his LP Jr.

I have nothing against the concept of signature guitars, especially as the proud owner of a John Mayer Strat, but most of the people I associate with signature guitars, like Mayer, or Clapton, seem to always be seen playing just those guitars, and no other brands.
  • moster78 wrote:
    I hear you, but when I think of Mike, I also think of him playing a Gibson Les Paul on "Alive" or his LP Jr.

I have nothing against the concept of signature guitars, especially as the proud owner of a John Mayer Strat, but most of the people I associate with signature guitars, like Mayer, or Clapton, seem to always be seen playing just those guitars, and no other brands.

clapton has signature guitars from at least three different companies that i can think of (fender, gibson, and martin). if mike wanted to go down that road, i'd be cool with it. :)
    clapton has signature guitars from at least three different companies that i can think of (fender, gibson, and martin). if mike wanted to go down that road, i'd be cool with it. :)

Good point!
  • Mike deserves one. If Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day), and Mark Hoppus(Blink 182) can get theirs, Mike shoukd get one. Don't get me wrong, I like both Green Day and Blink but Mike is amazing
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Oh, and the guy from Good Charlotte has one....come on now people...(I hate Good Charlotte if anyone cares)
  • Oh, and the guy from Good Charlotte has one....come on now people...(I hate Good Charlotte if anyone cares)
    Yeah, fuck it. We all know how decent he (MM) is, does it really need to be proved in this way? I doubt it
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Mike deserves one. If Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day), and Mark Hoppus(Blink 182) can get theirs, Mike shoukd get one. Don't get me wrong, I like both Green Day and Blink but Mike is amazing

it's got nothing to do with skill and everything to do with recognition, association and marketability.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    exhausted wrote:
    it's got nothing to do with skill and everything to do with recognition, association and marketability.

Bingo.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Do you think it's selling out though...I mean if a musician has a sig. guitar?
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    moster78 wrote:

EXACTLY what I was thinking...
    And before his first step... He's off again...
    Do you think it's selling out though...I mean if a musician has a sig. guitar?

the concept of "selling out" is for kids detached from reality.
  • PT has 4 signature guitars from 3 different companies (that i know of, at least), so that's not really an issue.

To me, however, it doesn't make all that much sense for Fender or Gibson to make a McCready signature guitar. Reason being, Mike plays vintage stock guitars, nothing customized, nothing that really makes it "his". They already do make reissues of late 50's strats and LPs, and they already make relics that show wear and tear...
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
    PT has 4 signature guitars from 3 different companies (that i know of, at least), so that's not really an issue.

To me, however, it doesn't make all that much sense for Fender or Gibson to make a McCready signature guitar. Reason being, Mike plays vintage stock guitars, nothing customized, nothing that really makes it "his". They already do make reissues of late 50's strats and LPs, and they already make relics that show wear and tear...

That was going to be my next point.
  • exhausted wrote:
    You'd think that, but it's possible.. Most of the time people use that term it's total bullshit (like allowing a custom guitar be made in your name - that's just cool). But let me point you to the way Green Day marketed themselves and manufactured an image to sell a record to the trendy 'fuse' crowd. That's a textbook sellout. The word should be in the dictionary with a picture and description of Green Day so people will know exactly what 'selling out' really is I think.

"Make our day"
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Most people that have them, do not deserve them.

I bet if you asked Mike, he would be more into people playing guitar because they love music, then spending 2-3000 on a Mike McCready signature guitar.

The music isn't in the guitar...it's in the person.
  • I don't think having a signature guitar is selling out, but i do think not having one and being good enough to have one makes you less of a sell out, or an anti-sellout, if that makes any sense. The first thing i thought when i saw this thread was "What type of guitar could it be?". He definitely plays too many guitars for one to be his "Signature" model. I like that Mike will play anything if it gives him the sound he wants. He wouldn't play a signature strat on a song that he thought should have a fat p-90 sound just to make fender happy. You can't really attribute one guitar to mike, stone, or eddie. They change too much.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    You'd think that, but it's possible.. Most of the time people use that term it's total bullshit (like allowing a custom guitar be made in your name - that's just cool). But let me point you to the way Green Day marketed themselves and manufactured an image to sell a record to the trendy 'fuse' crowd. That's a textbook sellout. The word should be in the dictionary with a picture and description of Green Day so people will know exactly what 'selling out' really is I think.

you sell out as soon as you play your first gig for beer quite honestly. it's a stupid concept.

they had just an much of a manufactured image before armstrong started to wear eyeliner.
  • this thread got me thinking about an article that was in GuitarOne last month. it was called "clapton's 10 iconic axes and essential licks." i just went to their website to see if the article was there, but their site is under construction and i can't find it anywhere else on the internet. it was from this issue if any of you know what i am talking about:

http://www.guitaronemag.com/images/GuitarOne_03.gif

but the article isn't the point. the point is that eric clapton is a musician who has MANY signature guitars... but each one of them is unmistakably clapton. this does not make him a sellout.

the discussion to this point has generally been based around the question of whether or not having a signature model makes you a sellout. but there's another side to this topic that hasn't been brought up yet: the artistic aspect of the guitar-building craft.

building a great guitar is an artform in itself, just like playing music is. some musicians, such as clapton, clearly have a deep respect for the luthiers who build their instruments. therefore it is considered an honor for him to have his name associated with these instruments. i would be honored too (although personally undeserving). i'm not implying that mike lacks respect in this regard; clearly he just doesn't choose to demonstrate it in the same way that clapton does.

but obviously, not all musicians consider the building process. it really annoys me when i see some these pop bands prancing around the stage with paul reed smiths and custom shop gibsons. in my opinion, many of these guys do not measure up artistically to the person who built their guitars (relatively speaking). then of course it's always necessary for them to smash the guitars after their song is over. why don't you show some mastery of the instrument before you destroy somebody else's art? how does that sound?

DISCLAIMER: i am not stating that guitar smashing is always wrong. but it should never be done if it was built by a master luthier or if you fail to demonstrate an ability to play it well.

i really have no idea how i ended up on the topic of guitar smashing. sorry for going off on such a ridiculous tangent there. but i think i've said what i wanted to say.
  • exhausted wrote:
    you sell out as soon as you play your first gig for beer quite honestly. it's a stupid concept.

they had just an much of a manufactured image before armstrong started to wear eyeliner.

+1...

http://toolshed.down.net/lyrics/aenimalyrics.php#07
  • enharmonic wrote:
    Most people that have them, do not deserve them.

I bet if you asked Mike, he would be more into people playing guitar because they love music, then spending 2-3000 on a Mike McCready signature guitar.

The music isn't in the guitar...it's in the person.
    +1

I totally agree. I never got what selling out was to be quite honest.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    exhausted wrote:

+ Avagadro's number

Everyone wants to be a rock star so they can be rich ! They also want the music they love to be loved by everybody, cos that proves what good taste they have. Then when that happens, "it's a sellout" !!
    ON guitar smashing, I totally agree that it is a crime to smash a beautiful handbuilt guitar. As I have said, they are all female, and it's like bashing women. It shows a total lack of respect to the craftsman who built it, to the music and to themselves. Mass produced junk guitars, maybe under extreme circumstances, like it is old and unplayable and of no use to anyone.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Is it wrong that I would buy a signature Mike guitar and I don't even play guitar???
  • Making money has nothing to do with "selling out". Green Day changed themselves completely to make money after a couple flops of an album and almost completely disappearing for whatever reason. The album actually wasn't half bad, I'd say better than anything they've ever done honestly, but I can't respect them at all.

Anyway, that's off topic :rolleyes:

If Mike had a signature guitar it would be a dark sunburst strat,.. like that ancient one he plays Even Flow on. But I love how he switches things up so much.. That's something that always bugs the hell out of me is when guitarists never change their guitar. Like Frusciante,.. he's great and all, but cmon, does he have to ALWAYS play a strat?

"Make our day"