Gear sharing.............

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    for whatever reason, i don't really have tuning issues. whether it's the heavier strings or the blocked trem, i don't know. i guess i just don't bend that much or something.

I bend a lot but tuning issues aren't really the reason I like lockers, I want restringing to be easier.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    oops. i reread. i understand.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I bend a lot but tuning issues aren't really the reason I like lockers, I want restringing to be easier.

Stupid question, but why is restringing easier with lockers?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Stupid question, but why is restringing easier with lockers?

you simply unlock, pull the old string out, pull the new string through lock cut, stretch and tune and you're good to go.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    you simply unlock, pull the old string out, pull the new string through lock cut, stretch and tune and you're good to go.

I'm still lost, does that mean no winding? Or that you don't need to hold the string in place when restringing?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I'm still lost, does that mean no winding? Or that you don't need to hold the string in place when restringing?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Sperzel_Tuners.html

yes, here are some common ones. While on the site check out planet waves, Grover Rotomatics and Gotoh Locking Vintage for different versions.

there's no winding or anything like that, the locking mechanism holds the string in place and in tune ideally. Planet waves actually cuts the string off for you.

looks kind of like this.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/1/Planet_Waves_Auto-Trim_Locking_Guitar_Machines/Instructions/I-5280.html#details
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Sperzel_Tuners.html

yes, here are some common ones. While on the site check out planet waves, Grover Rotomatics and Gotoh Locking Vintage for different versions.

there's no winding or anything like that, the locking mechanism holds the string in place and in tune ideally. Planet waves actually cuts the string off for you.

looks kind of like this.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/1/Planet_Waves_Auto-Trim_Locking_Guitar_Machines/Instructions/I-5280.html#details

Ahh ok

Thanks so much!
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I've got sperzel lockers on my Gretsch, it' my olny git with them fittted, and i just did my first string change, could not believe how easy it was and how littel time it took.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Ok, I'll bite!
    I took a bunch of pics the other day, and I'm actually practicing working Photobucket Flock now and getting a handle on all the gear I've accumulated either when I was playing, or bartering and trading. .
    I need to have a big sale!

I bought this SG in 1968 brand new! The pic is fom 1975 or so. So's my hair!
    1975tour.jpg

Fender Bass, nothing special, but it works
    DSC04118.jpg

One of three Guyatones and this one sounds the best. Great surf guitars and blues!
    DSC04124.jpg

This is as close to a signature model that I’ll get I guess. Had to do it myself! Oooh, shiny!
    DSC04140.jpg

A guitar I got from a guy in Venezuela. He made it himself and it looks it, but sounds great.
    DSC04143.jpg

A late 30’s or so Gibson that someone painted and put stickers on. Great acoustic slide tone!
    DSC04145.jpg

Gretsch New Yorker that I found in a wheelbarrow in a trash pile.
    DSC04147.jpg

I should have left it in the trash!
    DSC04148.jpg

Anther Guyatone.. I need to reshave the body to make the neck sit right. But meanwhile, slide guitar!
    DSC04151.jpg

Martin Stinger SSX. These are cheap now, and the necks are amazing. Slated for some pickups at some point and I’ll give it to a kid or something.
    DSC04156.jpg

Epiphone Elitist Les Paul. New and hardly played and waiting for a Bigsby.
    DSC04157.jpg

1982 Gibson Es-335 I bought new. I love this guitar.
    DSC04161.jpg

Taylor 414... I was looking for a 714 and this one sounded better than the one I was looking at. Outstanding guitar.
    DSC04150.jpg

A great playing and sounding Guyatone. I love all the rocker switches and it has a little full blast full tilt boogie loudness switch that puts all the pickups in series, I think.
    DSC04162.jpg

Martin EM-18 - so 80’s looking and an amazing guitar. Built lke a Martin and has phase and series switches
    DSC04165.jpg

Another of the same model Martin.
    Waiting for a fret job. Somebody played this one a lot, but it’s still in almost new shape except for the frets.
    DSC04166.jpg

My 68 SG today. Fuzzy pic, though. I just got back from India a couple of weeks ago, and I dropped the camera on a marble floor there, and I think I wrecked it. :(
    DSC04169.jpg

1964 Guild Starfire V. Great piece and I love playing this one.
    DSC04171.jpg

Fender Musicmaster Bass - Short Scale. I taught Thelouderthebetter to play bass on this. Some of you may remember her. Living in the country now. SHe’s 5 feet tall and this was perfect to start. She graduated to a full Fender Bass and my Ampeg SVT 300 watt with 8X10 cabinet. She rocked those things, and the amp caught fire in CBGB’s. Excellent night!
    DSC04172.jpg

Early 90’s G&L Legacy with Seymour Duncan pups in it. Great sound!
    DSC04174.jpg

2004 Fender Deluxe S-1 switching and all that jazz and it’s my “go to” guitar.
    DSC04176.jpg

Gibson Classic Les Paul. Cheesy 1960 engraving on the pickguard, but these things are great! Cheap price by LP standards, and this has a set of Fralins in it and it’s another “go to” guitar. I like the 60's necks better.
    DSC04179.jpg

1990? PRS. I bought it right from Lindy. It’s a one off, that later became the EG-1 or something like that, then was discontinued. I love this one and will never sell it.
    DSC04180.jpg

Tele waiting for some Fralin stock tele pups.
    DSC04183.jpg

Gretsch and I don’t even know the model, but the humbuckers have a great Gretsch twang.
    DSC04187.jpg

A Gretsch Historic Reonator. Cheap and great sound!
    DSC04193.jpg

This is and easy playing one. Tough to mike, though.
    DSC04199.jpg

Supro Lap Steel and case. I love this thing!
    DSC04209.jpg

And the case is the amp!
    DSC04210.jpg

Gibson Skylark Amp. It’s like 4 watts and it breaks up nicely. Get one!

DSC04201.jpg
    The back DSC04202.jpg

Martone 1 Watt tube amp made by a guy in Philadelphia, John Martin. He makes amazing stuff.
    DSC04204.jpg

This is like an early 60’s Selmer Amp. Pink Floyd used them, as well as the Beatles.
    It’s 240 volts, so I have a converter and never want to get shocked by this one!
    DSC04212.jpg

The back
    DSC04213.jpg
    And the warning label that warns about distortion occurring!
    DSC04215.jpg

Twin Reverb from the late 70’s. Loud and sounds good.
    DSC04216.jpg

Mesa Boogie Mark IIb from 1983. It has six 6L6’s and is purported to be 160 - 250 watts but I never really found out exactly. I bought that new and it has done some travelling!
    DSC04217.jpg

The back of the boogie
    DSC04222.jpg

Everyone should have a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue or original. Best sounding amp ever. This has a Weber speaker in it.
    DSC04223.jpg

Marshall 50 watt combo that I had a guy wire to Bluesbreaker specs in the 80’s. This has been around and it looks it!
    DSC02039.jpg

Mesa Boogie DC-5 Great amp and can do anything once you find the right settings on it. It’s sensitive but worth the effort!
    DSC04155.jpg

Now that I’m getting older and my ears hurt easier from all that rock and roll stage volume:
    DSC00469.jpg

A drawer full of effects and I just realized that I’m missing a bunch! I hope my neighbor took them when I was gone.
    DSC04206.jpg

Who’s idea was it to buy this?
    I have NO idea and urge to make this work right, but my tech friends can make it work. Line6 pod xt live
    DSC04208.jpg

Whew,,,, I've been meaning to get a photo record of all that stuff, and now I remember why I was putting it off!
    Buy Ebay stock now! It's gonna get some use because I have more!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I took a bunch of pics the other day, and I'm actually practicing working Photobucket Flock now and getting a handle on all the gear I've accumulated either when I was playing, or bartering and trading. .
    I need to have a big sale!

I bought this SG in 1968 brand new! The pic is fom 1975 or so. So's my hair!
    1975tour.jpg

Fender Bass, nothing special, but it works
    DSC04118.jpg

One of three Guyatones and this one sounds the best. Great surf guitars and blues!
    DSC04124.jpg

This is as close to a signature model that I’ll get I guess. Had to do it myself! Oooh, shiny!
    DSC04140.jpg

A guitar I got from a guy in Venezuela. He made it himself and it looks it, but sounds great.
    DSC04143.jpg

A late 30’s or so Gibson that someone painted and put stickers on. Great acoustic slide tone!
    DSC04145.jpg

Gretsch New Yorker that I found in a wheelbarrow in a trash pile.
    DSC04147.jpg

I should have left it in the trash!
    DSC04148.jpg

Anther Guyatone.. I need to reshave the body to make the neck sit right. But meanwhile, slide guitar!
    DSC04151.jpg

Martin Stinger SSX. These are cheap now, and the necks are amazing. Slated for some pickups at some point and I’ll give it to a kid or something.
    DSC04156.jpg

Epiphone Elitist Les Paul. New and hardly played and waiting for a Bigsby.
    DSC04157.jpg

1982 Gibson Es-335 I bought new. I love this guitar.
    DSC04161.jpg

Taylor 414... I was looking for a 714 and this one sounded better than the one I was looking at. Outstanding guitar.
    DSC04150.jpg

A great playing and sounding Guyatone. I love all the rocker switches and it has a little full blast full tilt boogie loudness switch that puts all the pickups in series, I think.
    DSC04162.jpg

Martin EM-18 - so 80’s looking and an amazing guitar. Built lke a Martin and has phase and series switches
    DSC04165.jpg

Another of the same model Martin.
    Waiting for a fret job. Somebody played this one a lot, but it’s still in almost new shape except for the frets.
    DSC04166.jpg

My 68 SG today. Fuzzy pic, though. I just got back from India a couple of weeks ago, and I dropped the camera on a marble floor there, and I think I wrecked it. :(
    DSC04169.jpg

1964 Guild Starfire V. Great piece and I love playing this one.
    DSC04171.jpg

Fender Musicmaster Bass - Short Scale. I taught Thelouderthebetter to play bass on this. Some of you may remember her. Living in the country now. SHe’s 5 feet tall and this was perfect to start. She graduated to a full Fender Bass and my Ampeg SVT 300 watt with 8X10 cabinet. She rocked those things, and the amp caught fire in CBGB’s. Excellent night!
    DSC04172.jpg

Early 90’s G&L Legacy with Seymour Duncan pups in it. Great sound!
    DSC04174.jpg

2004 Fender Deluxe S-1 switching and all that jazz and it’s my “go to” guitar.
    DSC04176.jpg

Gibson Classic Les Paul. Cheesy 1960 engraving on the pickguard, but these things are great! Cheap price by LP standards, and this has a set of Fralins in it and it’s another “go to” guitar. I like the 60's necks better.
    DSC04179.jpg

1990? PRS. I bought it right from Lindy. It’s a one off, that later became the EG-1 or something like that, then was discontinued. I love this one and will never sell it.
    DSC04180.jpg

Tele waiting for some Fralin stock tele pups.
    DSC04183.jpg

Gretsch and I don’t even know the model, but the humbuckers have a great Gretsch twang.
    DSC04187.jpg

A Gretsch Historic Reonator. Cheap and great sound!
    DSC04193.jpg

This is and easy playing one. Tough to mike, though.
    DSC04199.jpg

Supro Lap Steel and case. I love this thing!
    DSC04209.jpg

And the case is the amp!
    DSC04210.jpg

Gibson Skylark Amp. It’s like 4 watts and it breaks up nicely. Get one!

DSC04201.jpg
    The back DSC04202.jpg

Martone 1 Watt tube amp made by a guy in Philadelphia, John Martin. He makes amazing stuff.
    DSC04204.jpg

This is like an early 60’s Selmer Amp. Pink Floyd used them, as well as the Beatles.
    It’s 240 volts, so I have a converter and never want to get shocked by this one!
    DSC04212.jpg

The back
    DSC04213.jpg
    And the warning label that warns about distortion occurring!
    DSC04215.jpg

Twin Reverb from the late 70’s. Loud and sounds good.
    DSC04216.jpg

Mesa Boogie Mark IIb from 1983. It has six 6L6’s and is purported to be 160 - 250 watts but I never really found out exactly. I bought that new and it has done some travelling!
    DSC04217.jpg

The back of the boogie
    DSC04222.jpg

Everyone should have a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue or original. Best sounding amp ever. This has a Weber speaker in it.
    DSC04223.jpg

Marshall 50 watt combo that I had a guy wire to Bluesbreaker specs in the 80’s. This has been around and it looks it!
    DSC02039.jpg

Mesa Boogie DC-5 Great amp and can do anything once you find the right settings on it. It’s sensitive but worth the effort!
    DSC04155.jpg

Now that I’m getting older and my ears hurt easier from all that rock and roll stage volume:
    DSC00469.jpg

A drawer full of effects and I just realized that I’m missing a bunch! I hope my neighbor took them when I was gone.
    DSC04206.jpg

Who’s idea was it to buy this?
    I have NO idea and urge to make this work right, but my tech friends can make it work. Line6 pod xt live
    DSC04208.jpg

Whew,,,, I've been meaning to get a photo record of all that stuff, and now I remember why I was putting it off!
    Buy Ebay stock now! It's gonna get some use because I have more!

HOLY SHIT!
    Ha Ha PJ &T, you make me not the oldest fart on the board for which Iam grateful cos i was only 4 in 1968.
    Awesome collection. I am slowly building toward that, but I doubt I'll make it. Nice Boogie !!
  • Ha Ha PJ &T, you make me not the oldest fart on the board for which Iam grateful cos i was only 4 in 1968.
    Awesome collection. I am slowly building toward that, but I doubt I'll make it. Nice Boogie !!

I guess you could call that a collection.
    None of it is really high dollar stuff. I sold a '57 goldtop and '58 burst a few years ago to pay for some medical treatments. I bought them in '66 or so. My first guitars, and I'm glad I got them! I used to tour a lot and I had a lot of Strats in the 70's, and used to sell them, give them away, or whatever. The vintage market didn't exist. Haha,, I wonder how many late 50's and 60's Strats I had. :( I never even thought about the years they were built then!

I like the obsure and downtrodden guitars now. Those old Guyatones, discontinued Martins and the like intrigue me. They're great sounding, and if it's well built, I'll make it sound good if it ISN'T good sounding.
    I have enough parts and pieces to make some more, too, when I get some time.

I think I'm the second oldest on this board. I have three friends who were here before I was. Youthinkyou'reold! is two days older than me!

HE'S the old fart! :D He doesn't post much anymore unless he comes to my house. He actually has a few guitars and amps of mine, too!
    Be kind, man
    It's one reason why the vintage market will never grab me. Just cos it's old, does not mean it is good, just cos it's new does not mean that it isn't.
    The vintage mentality has kind of got too many people thinking that guitars have to be old to be any good.
    I kinda like new stuff personally.
    Good timber is getting harder to find I suppose.
  • Yeah, I think I mentioned that I had an early sixties strat back in 1980 or so, trust me, it was nothing flash, but an average quality factory guitar.
    I sold it for pretty much what I paid, about $500.
    It's one reason why the vintage market will never grab me. Just cos it's old, does not mean it is good, just cos it's new does not mean that it isn't.
    The vintage mentality has kind of got too many people thinking that guitars have to be old to be any good.
    I kinda like new stuff personally.
    Good timber is getting harder to find I suppose.

I don't go for vintage much now. It can be a decent investment, but I hate to worry about my stuff. It's hard to predict what will take off in price, too.
    I bought my first Les Paul in 1964 or 5 with my paper route money after I saw Keith Richards on Ed Sullivan. I got my 58 Burst a year or two later. have him to thank for about a half of my life career! :) It was a nice guitar then, but it wasn't a "57 goldtop" or "58 burst" until the late 80's when they became the most sought after axes!
    The 58 DID rock out, but truthfully, my 2 old Classic 60 is a great one, too, and I like the neck better.

I can build them, so that helps when picking them out now. Five Pauls in a row each sound and feel a little different to me. If I , or someone I'm helping out wants a particular sound in their guitar, I just call up Lindy Fralin and he gets right there with the pickup. Then it's up the the amp and most important,,,,, the fingers! :D

Some of the old ones DO tend to get a little more resonance because the wood does harden and change as it ages, but even then, you can't make any real judgements on the difference in sound on a 1958 model guitar in 1965 and 2007 because you would have to play that guitar and memorize the sound in 1965 and then come back and play it in 2007 on the same amp and mike.

haha,,, two things happen,,,,, I barely reMEMber half of the 60's and 70's! And my hearing changed, too! I'm lucky to still have good hearing, though!

That being said,,,,,, I'll keep some of my guitars forever because they are like old friends. My SG has been all over the country and a good part of the world, as was the Guild and the 355. They're part of my life and they've never let me down. That PRS is an amazing guitar, too. That stays, too! :)
    Be kind, man

And Jesus christ bob. :eek:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    I think you mean "Who's Pearl jam?". I'm 17 you old bastard :p;):D

Yeah,my mistake, sorry guy if I ran you yundert teh old age truck prematurely . LOL !!!!

haha,,, two things happen,,,,, I barely reMEMber half of the 60's and 70's! And my hearing changed, too! I'm lucky to still have good hearing, though!

That being said,,,,,, I'll keep some of my guitars forever because they are like old friends. My SG has been all over the country and a good part of the world, as was the Guild and the 355. They're part of my life and they've never let me down. That PRS is an amazing guitar, too. That stays, too! :)

Now that is the perfect reason to love an old guitar, cos it's always been yours. I think teh people that get a Murphy aged, or relic seires guitar are trying to buy memories, and that just don't work.
    After I was yakking to you guys, I called a friend in LA to arrange some gear shipping, and he tells me he joined a band six months back. I didn't even know he played, but get this. His guitar is a 1964 Mustang and his amp is similar vintage Twin Reverb that has NEVER been nera a workshop since he bought it back then.
    He's thinking about selling teh amp cos the volume keeps cutting and he says he has no real attachment to it.
    Can yiu believe that ??
    I told him to keep it and buy something else to gig with, oh nad get teh power tubes and caps fixed.
  • Now that is the perfect reason to love an old guitar, cos it's always been yours. I think teh people that get a Murphy aged, or relic seires guitar are trying to buy memories, and that just don't work.
    After I was yakking to you guys, I called a friend in LA to arrange some gear shipping, and he tells me he joined a band six months back. I didn't even know he played, but get this. His guitar is a 1964 Mustang and his amp is similar vintage Twin Reverb that has NEVER been nera a workshop since he bought it back then.
    He's thinking about selling teh amp cos the volume keeps cutting and he says he has no real attachment to it.
    Can yiu believe that ??
    I told him to keep it and buy something else to gig with, oh nad get teh power tubes and caps fixed.

I had an Ampeg Reverbrocket that had to be from the 60's. I bought it for $40 off of a friend. I just used it as a louder bassamp for when my friends and i jammed. It sounded like shit, but at least we could finally hear the bass with the drums. Anyway, i resold it to a guy working at Sam Ash when i was 15 because he said it needed new tubes. I didn't even bother to ask what it would cost to fix because i thought "new tubes" meant the amp was pretty much worthless in it's state. I know it's not a Deluxe Reverb from the 60's that's worth a couple grand right now, but I regret lettin' go of it now that I know i had a vintage amp.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • It's not mine, but I heard my bandmates' Mesa-Boogie for the first time yesterday... stunning :)

"Make our day"
    It's not mine, but I heard my bandmates' Mesa-Boogie for the first time yesterday... stunning :)

Which one was it ??
  • Which one was it ??
    I'm not sure.. I think it's a 50 watt if that helps.

"Make our day"
  • I think you mean "Who's Pearl jam?". I'm 17 you old bastard :p;):D

haha,,,, well, you young bastard! That's meeeeee!!! :D:D

17 years?! I've been there 3 times! :cool:

I have more than that, too! I just have to get them out of storage.

It IS kind of funny how, after all those years of trying to keep guitars in good shape,,, the distressed ones are high end now! When people on Ebay have to disclose two little dents in the finish, and it lowers the value, but it costs a few grand more for a beat up new one!
    Be kind, man

NO, that doesn't help, nor does saying it is black. Get thee back there and find out what it is so we can have a proper yak about it.
    Funny thing about Mesa, it's not cool to like them these days, but after you play one..............................thay are pretty good amps, hey ??
    I just lost an auction for a near new Stilleto Deuce , than an hour later the accountant tells me my tax return was a nice surprise, and would have covered it easily. DOH !!!!!!!!!
  • NO, that doesn't help, nor does saying it is black. Get thee back there and find out what it is so we can have a proper yak about it.
    Funny thing about Mesa, it's not cool to like them these days, but after you play one..............................thay are pretty good amps, hey ??
    I just lost an auction for a near new Stilleto Deuce , than an hour later the accountant tells me my tax return was a nice surprise, and would have covered it easily. DOH !!!!!!!!!
    Yeah yeah I know :p

I was thinking about writing the model down but never did.. I'll be back there by Saturday to lay down some more tracks, I'll surely get it then.

We had this beautifulllllllll warm tone coming from it.. almost B.O.C. ish.

"Make our day"
  • "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    That's a nice lookin' board. Is the metal chassis self-made or did you order it somewhere?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    That's a nice lookin' board. Is the metal chassis self-made or did you order it somewhere?

Yeah, I was wondereing that, it's very tidy.
  • ThisIsNotAnExit
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    lovely girls!

Thanks! I love them!
  • moster78 wrote:
    Thanks! I love them!

maybe you can help me. i remember that once Kat posted something abouta mike's gear on the recording of riotact... do you where I can find it? is it still available somewhere? thanks. G.
    ThisIsNotAnExit