Pedal fetish.....................

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    http://www.moogmusic.com/ here's a cool bunch of ridiculously expensive effects too.

also http://www.ehx.com just listen to sound clips and read for some fun.

the Jacques trinity is also another cool envelope filter/auto wah/ fixed wah kind of thing you can see that at http://www.ts808.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://www.moogmusic.com/ here's a cool bunch of ridiculously expensive effects too.

also http://www.ehx.com just listen to sound clips and read for some fun.

the Jacques trinity is also another cool envelope filter/auto wah/ fixed wah kind of thing you can see that at http://www.ts808.com

Just a cautionary note, I happen to think the moog envelope filter is not their best pedal. I mean, it's great.. but not 'unique' enough in my opinion to justify the price.

I have their ring mod though, and I think it's hands down the finest ring mod ever created. Kicks the hell out of the Lovetone Ring Stinger which I've also used.

The MuRF is a marvel!

Oh, and as I mentioned in my post above Pacomc79 has given me some *GREAT* (caps this time) pedal tips on the board. If there is a "Pedal Guru" here in the pit, it's Pacomc79!
    IDgotI wrote:
    Just a cautionary note, I happen to think the moog envelope filter is not their best pedal. I mean, it's great.. but not 'unique' enough in my opinion to justify the price.

I have their ring mod though, and I think it's hands down the finest ring mod ever created. Kicks the hell out of the Lovetone Ring Stinger which I've also used.

The MuRF is a marvel!

Oh, and as I mentioned in my post above Pacomc79 has given me some *GREAT* (caps this time) pedal tips on the board. If there is a "Pedal Guru" here in the pit, it's Pacomc79!

nah man I'm no guru, this is just a collection of nice people sharing knowledge, there are a lot of cool people here including yourself. I just enjoy coming here because it's informal and I like the people. Thanks though.

You're right too, the murf is killer but their envelope filter is not thier best. I happen to like the phaser a lot too but for the money moog is a little out of my price range.

I wonder how much the original mutrons are going for these days.

You ever get into the Dan Armstrong green ringer or try that new Zvex ringtone or the Robotalk?

http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/robotalk/ ridiculousness.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    I've been really interested in the Marshall pedals for some reason.....it might just simply be thier shape. :p

Anyone ever play a Gov'nor II?
    Pacomc79 wrote:

You ever get into the Dan Armstrong green ringer or try that new Zvex ringtone or the Robotalk?

http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/robotalk/ ridiculousness.

I actually only just picked up my first Zvex pedal a few weeks ago. I got the "Super Duper" to help me get better tone while recording at "appartment levels". Pretty cool pedal.

I've been reading about the Robotalk for years, but never tried it. I know it's one of those pedals with so much good word that there must be something to it.

All right, guru might come with too much baggage, but it's awesome to run into someone with so much knowledge about pedals who is willing to share. Thanks again.
    sennin wrote:
    I've been really interested in the Marshall pedals for some reason.....it might just simply be thier shape. :p

Anyone ever play a Gov'nor II?

I played it on a friend's pedal board a few weeks ago. He had it next to a plain old $45 boss "Super Overdrive". The Super Overdrive kicked the Marshall's butt for both tone and gain as far as I was concerned.
    IDgotI wrote:
    I played it on a friend's pedal board a few weeks ago. He had it next to a plain old $45 boss "Super Overdrive". The Super Overdrive kicked the Marshall's butt for both tone and gain as far as I was concerned.

Cool....good to know! Thanks!
    sennin wrote:
    Cool....good to know! Thanks!

To be fair... that could have been a function of how the pedals related to that particular guitar and rig. Since it wasn't my gear I guess I shouldn't be too quick to pass judgement on the pedal. Sometimes if you feel like a pedal is 'calling' to you it can be worth checking out. Based on my experience though I just wouldn't recommend buying it blind. Fortunately they are easy to find at Guitar Centrer / Sam Ash I think. Not super rare.
    IDgotI wrote:
    To be fair... that could have been a function of how the pedals related to that particular guitar and rig. Since it wasn't my gear I guess I shouldn't be too quick to pass judgement on the pedal. Sometimes if you feel like a pedal is 'calling' to you it can be worth checking out. Based on my experience though I just wouldn't recommend buying it blind. Fortunately they are easy to find at Guitar Centrer / Sam Ash I think. Not super rare.

Even better follow up.....

How about a harder to find pedal.....

Liquid Sunshine by Subdecay

?
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Seriously, sounds like you have a pretty great situation there. Appreciate it for all it's worth![/quote]

Haha, thanks, it'd be perfect if she wasn't still a Junior in high school while I'm still a Freshy in college...makes for some crazy curfew hours!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    sennin wrote:
    Even better follow up.....

How about a harder to find pedal.....

Liquid Sunshine by Subdecay

?

Don't know it. Checked their site. Now I'm *really* curious about their Noisebox pedal... http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=Noisebox

Anyone know it? Looks pretty "one of a kind".
    IDgotI wrote:
    Don't know it. Checked their site. Now I'm *really* curious about their Noisebox pedal... http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=Noisebox

ha ha, there's a knob labeled Sense.... mines been counterclockwise for a while.

oh how much fun it is to tell people to turn down the chaos and turn up the sense. :D
    IDgotI wrote:

oh and to the earlier subdecay liquid sunshine question.....JFET's....HUGE thumbs up. If the circuit is well designed JFET's behave very nicely very amplike.
  • IDgotI wrote:
    The ebow is the thing you can see Ed placing on his strings over the pickups at the start of any live performance of "World Wide Suicide".

It contains a battery, and basically creates a small magnetic field. When you place it on a metal string, over a pick up, it picks up the disruption of the pickups magnetic field by the vibrating string... and then just cycles it back... meaning it keeps the string vibrating after you strike the note.

The original pickup field disruption disrupts the ebow's field... but since the ebow's field is powered, it keeps on "recycling" the disruption unti you physcially stop the string or pull the ebow away.

Ok... that was long winded and geeky. In a nut shell... It creates >>> Sustain.

You can get the same sort of godly sustain you normally can only get from humbuckers and a stack playing at club clearing volumes at appartment listenning levels.

Sounds pretty ideal huh? The only drawback is that you need to keep the ebow seated *precisely* on one string at a time to get that great sustain... other wise you just get the sort of jerky stacotto sound Ed gets by pulling it across several strings on "WWS". The ebow takes some practice to master, and requires it's own technique. Whether or not it's worth it is up to you.

Me... I prefer to play with humbuckers through stacks at club clearing volumes :-)
    Well I could describe it in technical terms (which you did with precision :) ) but I was talking about it's sound being hard to describe..

It's definetly not the same as humbuckers. Sustain it has assloads of (infinite until you pull it off the string..), but the sound it creates is INCREDIBLY unique.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i did a couple recordings where i had 4 or 5 tracks of ebow almost like a string section. good times.
  • exhausted wrote:
    i did a couple recordings where i had 4 or 5 tracks of ebow almost like a string section. good times.
    I've always dreamed of doing that. :cool:

Smashing Pumpkins have done a bit of it I believe..

"Make our day"
    Well I could describe it in technical terms (which you did with precision :) ) but I was talking about it's sound being hard to describe...

Cool cool. My bad then. Sometimes the posts can be read the wrong way. I put up my description to be helpful but I guess I was taking you too literally when you said you couldn't describe it... Again my bad. Didn't mean to be a "know it all"... just a geek.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    if you're into envelope filters check out the one at tone factor, It's a solid pedal at $120 though the shipping might be a little extra. http://www.tonefactor.com (Uncles Custom Shop)

For OD's since he's in OZ Michael Ibrahim (MI Pedals) has some interesting stuff potentially at not ridiculously more expensive prices http://www.miaudio.com/

With the complex preamps that mesa's have already, you probably will like boosts better than colored OD's or distortions.

I'm pretty sure lone stars have an effects loop, you'll more than likely love the sound of any modulation effects in the loop (not wah pedals) because the effected sound won't go through the preamp and the integrity of the sound will be maintained (this is obviously not always a preference)

Anyhow, have fun with it.

Big Muff is a very thick fuzz, not a lot of note definition but loads of sustain it's fun, I actually prefer the cheaper russian version though it needs new jacks and a better switch to be reliable.

Fuzz Face is a more round sounding legato fuzz with warm germainium transistors. The ones with silicon transistors will be a little harsher sounding fuzz but it's more defined and sounds mean especially when you add an upper octave to the mix, but in general it's more square than the round and warm germanium sound. There are also a large amount of hybrids on the market. For humbuckers, you might look at tone benders.

If you're going to check out the fender blender, check out the Ampeg Scrambler too and the Foxx Tone Machine.

Defintely don't need boost, definnitely !! Was thniking about running pedals around the pre-amp rather than through it, or adding it to some amp OD. Am really thinking about creatin totally different sounds rather than just needing more of teh same.
    The Fuzz Face sounds a bit like me. Was listening to "Under Blackpool Lights" last night, and Jack's tone, holy crap, the amp REALLY sounded like it was gonna explode any second. I like Elephant a lot, and jam with Jack to "Ball and BIscuit" a lot, so maybe a Digitech Whammy, cos he uses it a lot on that. Are there other Whammy's that are better, or the Digitech it ??
    From what you said, that and the Fuzz Face might work well together, with either Violet Love (Gretsch) or FAith (LP BFG). I'm still thinking about changing the 6L6's in the Lonestar to EL34 just to see how it sounds.
    Music is not a competetion.
    if you're after whammies the WH1's are the most desirable but I like the most recent one too (WH-4), although you will need to take the time to learn it as it is a completely new instrument.

yeah some kind of fuzz face or tone bender (think Jimmy Page) should be up your alley, germanium fuzzes tend to get temperamental in regards to temperature change and sometimes don't play well with other pedals.

There are a variety of fixes for these issues too like bias controls buffers etc.

In the meantime check out germanium fuzzes like the fuzz face, sola sound tone bender (and their hundreds of clones)

check out the fuzz factory too from Zvex. It's built around two germanium transistors too. Just listen to some clips or watch the video at http://www.zvex.com the Vexter series is the same circuit for a bit cheaper. If you listen to muse at all that's the circuit built in to Matt Bellamy's guitar.

It's obvuiously more difficult to learn than your average fuzz face, but it's got a lot of play in those controls and the stab gets ridiculous.

I also think it's worth reading the sunface section at http://www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm and checking out http://www.retroman-music.com
    ok, not that i'm trying to pimp my myspace page or my songs, because i'm not. this is related to the pedal discussion.

but if you go the first song on my page, and listen to the solo, that's a fuzz factory doing some moderately crazy stuff. about 1:45 if you want to ffwd.

the really weird sounds near the end in that song are from a circuit bent DS-1.
  • IDgotI wrote:
    Cool cool. My bad then. Sometimes the posts can be read the wrong way. I put up my description to be helpful but I guess I was taking you too literally when you said you couldn't describe it... Again my bad. Didn't mean to be a "know it all"... just a geek.
    Ah I wasn't calling you out or anything, just clarifying what I said. :)

"Make our day"
    so maybe a Digitech Whammy, cos he uses it a lot on that. Are there other Whammy's that are better, or the Digitech it ??

i think the PS-5 super shifter from boss is a better value. much more powerful and flexible but at the same time, there is just something about the whammy.

but the whammy is a niche pedal, almost just a noisemaking thing.

if you want bass simulations with better tracking etc and nice pitch shifter where you can actually control the wet/dry mix, the boss pedal is better. or if you're only looking primarily for bass simulation ala white stripes, a boss OC-3.
    exhausted wrote:
    i think the PS-5 super shifter from boss is a better value. much more powerful and flexible but at the same time, there is just something about the whammy.

but the whammy is a niche pedal, almost just a noisemaking thing.

if you want bass simulations with better tracking etc and nice pitch shifter where you can actually control the wet/dry mix, the boss pedal is better. or if you're only looking primarily for bass simulation ala white stripes, a boss OC-3.

speaking of tracking..... Octron....Octron2 anyone....Bueller?

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com
  • bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    Two words that changed my life:

DIGITAL DELAY
    So the sickness begins.............
    Tried out a Digitech Whammy yesterday, and liked it, but $700 in Australia, I can buy a kidney for that !!!! BUT, saw one on US e-bay, will be on my front door in less than a week for $300, so I snagged it, couldn't help myself. Have just been listening to too much Jack.
    I'm thinking I might give some Dano a go, probably not going to be the same quality as the other pedals you guys have been suggesting, but will let me dip my feet on a budget. There is a lot of Keeley modded stuff available, but without trying it , it's hard to tell. I'll have a listen to some of the stuff you guyd have put up on myspace etc too, will help a bit.
    I think a straight distortion pedal might be what I will use most.

The Whammy will be good for the harmonised solos in Metallica, as well as the octave stuff like Bells and Roam, as well as the lead in Ball and Biscuit, which alone is worth the entry for me. Pity it only detunes in a whole step, not a half step, that would be neat. Now if I had a digital guitar, then it could just detune the E string to D for instant drop D, that would be neat !!
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Yeah, I have the pedal disease. I probably have 15 pedals, but only 5-6 or so are part of my everyday loop. I actually sold my Metal Zone pedal last year because I was up to 6 distortion pedals and felt it was slight overkill.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • I play an old Ibanez SD-9 with my tubescreamer, through an AC30-it's my favorite sound. The sonic has so much depth, using it only with my tele I get an awesome kinda twang thing, and if you put a regular overdrive pedal before it you get an amazing howl....btw if you wanna get into pedals take it to the next step and buid your own....it's not too hard and amazingly satisfying
    It's really great when your in a limo you can put your head to the window and look out at all the homeless people-E.V.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    my current gear:
    dunlop 535q wah- got it monday. awsome, versitle wah. tha king of wahs. (just ask McCready!)
    Ibanez ts9- no need to discuss this one. every guitrist should have this in their chain
    boss DD-3- great delay. very diverse, awsome sounding

on order:
    hopefully visual sound H2O( from PJ and toast)
    fulltone 69 fuzz-this thing is awsome. i played one at my friends home, and i had to get one myself. it covers so much. from the stones, to jime, it nails it(the jimi partictularily well)
    Fulltone deja vibe-the only vibe that is EXACTLY like the original univox vibe
    lovepedal COT50- awsome for stacking on the TS9. great early Jimi tones
    fender blender- not quite sure if ill like it or not. might be a little too crazy for me
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    seanw1010 wrote:
    my current gear:
    dunlop 535q wah- got it monday. awsome, versitle wah. tha king of wahs. (just ask McCready!)
    Ibanez ts9- no need to discuss this one. every guitrist should have this in their chain
    boss DD-3- great delay. very diverse, awsome sounding

on order:
    hopefully visual sound H2O( from PJ and toast)
    fulltone 69 fuzz-this thing is awsome. i played one at my friends home, and i had to get one myself. it covers so much. from the stones, to jime, it nails it(the jimi partictularily well)
    Fulltone deja vibe-the only vibe that is EXACTLY like the original univox vibe
    lovepedal COT50- awsome for stacking on the TS9. great early Jimi tones
    fender blender- not quite sure if ill like it or not. might be a little too crazy for me

My science teacher has the Fulltone '69. He loves it!!! The Flender is so hard to find a sweet spot on but it's nice once ya do.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    HAve been thinkng hard about thsi pedal business, and have decided that more distortion is really not needed. My Lonstar has great OD channels, which produce all teh TS-9 type tone I could want, and I don't want to run a cheap solid state distortion in front of it.
    So I went and ordered a Rotosphere. I just love the tones Mike gets on Black in particular, and it's one of my favourite things to jam to, so it's teh shit for me.
    Picked up something else very exciting on e-bay to, will keep you guys updated when it comes in. Might be a couple of weeks yet, but worth the wait !!