Question about delay

2»

Comments

• All right, I got closer to the sound by trying the digidelay things out. Also, with my DD6, I used the warp function. That got me kinda close too. I really just want that "crashing" sound. I'm afraid I just might have to buy an analog which is gonna set me back in the money dept. I was hoping to get that roc pro is McCreadyisGod was still selling, but I dunno, at the moment.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    what are you the angel of death for youtube vids. now that one's gone. oh wait. it's back.

it's analog delay in front of gain you seek.
  • exhausted wrote:
    what are you the angel of death for youtube vids. now that one's gone. oh wait. it's back.

it's analog delay in front of gain you seek.
    Hahaha, angel of death, hahaha. Anyway, I can compare it to this delay, too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGkJdSTLD_A&feature=related at 3:47.
    that sounded more lo-res digital to me. hmmm.
  • exhausted wrote:
    that sounded more lo-res digital to me. hmmm.
    Can I get that with my delays?

Also, for the "Daughter" delays, I think the delay is before the phaser and since I just bought a phase 90 from a certain fellow M&Ger on this board (thanks a lot, by the way), I might be able to get a little closer.
    not really, no. i have it in my line 6 DL4. i'll try to do a clip here maybe.

i really think that, with what you have, the tape sim in the digitech is going to be closest to what you want to hear.

perhaps try out the new digitech DL-8. it has analog, lo-fi and tape sims. i don't know how much it is.
  • I noticed the Danecho had a lo-fi switch. It seemed to just make the delays longer and faster
    I noticed the Danecho had a lo-fi switch. It seemed to just make the delays longer and faster

it has a variable hi-cut control to do the lo-fi echos. the switch is only for time range.

here's what the DL4 can do. mike does/did use one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAokdNBBiA0
  • exhausted wrote:
    it has a variable hi-cut control to do the lo-fi echos. the switch is only for time range.

here's what the DL4 can do. mike does/did use one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAokdNBBiA0
    I was so close to buying this but it's too expensive and too big for my board
    not if you got rid of the DD-6 and the digidelay. :p it is pricey though.
  • exhausted wrote:
    not if you got rid of the DD-6 and the digidelay. :p it is pricey though.
    I like having two delays so I can have one for volume swells and one for short solo delays. I've also heard horror stories of the DL4 breaking ALL the time
    yeah, my tap tempo isn't working right now but mine is really old. generally i use the DD-20 anyway but the DL4 has funkier sounds.
  • exhausted wrote:
    yeah, my tap tempo isn't working right now but mine is really old. generally i use the DD-20 anyway but the DL4 has funkier sounds.
    That's my biggest deal. Other than that, I'm somewhat driven to get the dano PB&J delay, again. I liked mine but it broke. Again, it was built flimsy. Also what does "Tube amp breakup" mean? That might also be what I'm looking for
  • Also what does "Tube amp breakup" mean? That might also be what I'm looking for

Tube amp breakup would refer to driving a tube amp into distortion. Usually, this refers to tube amps with only one volume control, rather than separate preamp and power amp controls, but it can refer to both. Essentially, taking a basic tube amp (think Fender Deluxe, Deluxe Reverb, Bassman, Twin, etc; Marshall Plexi, Bluesbreaker, brown JCM 800, etc) and turning it up until you get distortion or overdrive.

As for the DL-4 debate, I've always wanted one, but it does take up a lotta space and has exhibited some heavy-use problems. That said, it has so many different models, all of which sound pretty good, and it has lots of footswitches to give you lots of on-the-fly controls (you could set up two different delays on just the DL-4, rather than having two different settings on two different pedals). The DD-20 is definitely more reliable, and has almost as many features and almost as good sound quality. It's a classic quandry. I'm surprised that Line 6 hasn't put a ton of effort into re-engineering the DL-4. If they could fix the reliability issue, they'd totally corner the market (they've got a hell of a start already).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Tube amp breakup would refer to driving a tube amp into distortion. Usually, this refers to tube amps with only one volume control, rather than separate preamp and power amp controls, but it can refer to both. Essentially, taking a basic tube amp (think Fender Deluxe, Deluxe Reverb, Bassman, Twin, etc; Marshall Plexi, Bluesbreaker, brown JCM 800, etc) and turning it up until you get distortion or overdrive.

As for the DL-4 debate, I've always wanted one, but it does take up a lotta space and has exhibited some heavy-use problems. That said, it has so many different models, all of which sound pretty good, and it has lots of footswitches to give you lots of on-the-fly controls (you could set up two different delays on just the DL-4, rather than having two different settings on two different pedals). The DD-20 is definitely more reliable, and has almost as many features and almost as good sound quality. It's a classic quandry. I'm surprised that Line 6 hasn't put a ton of effort into re-engineering the DL-4. If they could fix the reliability issue, they'd totally corner the market (they've got a hell of a start already).
    I played the Giga Delay and wasn't impressed at all, with it. I liked the DL4...when it was working at guitar center. I like having the two separate pedals on my board so i can quick change, on the fly with everything going on with my songs. The Digidelay was a replacement for my PB&J delay. I got the DD6 a year ago in order to use the warp function. Then, I started using it more. I'm gonna keep fiddling with the pedals but I don't know how far I'll get. I really appreciate all the help, everyone.
  • I'd still love to pick up a Boss RE-20... an original Roland RE-201 would kick ass (I've played with a few that were owned by friends) but keeping the tape in good working order, not to mention finding replacement parts, would be a pain in the ass. And you can't put it on a pedalboard. But the RE-20... awesome analog-modelled delays.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • A buddy of mine uses an echo plex and loves it
  • A buddy of mine uses an echo plex and loves it

They're fantastic things. My very first effect, when I was fifteen, was a secondhand solid state WEM Copicat. Now, you'd definitely get your desired effect with that thing, no question.
    ok hardy, so you need to email harrisonmerwin re: a cheap DL4, stat. b/c my tap tempo is working again.
  • exhausted wrote:
    ok hardy, so you need to email harrisonmerwin re: a cheap DL4, stat. b/c my tap tempo is working again.
    Wait, what now? I'm very confused, at the moment\

Edit: I got ya, didn't see his post. Still, I'm very hesitant about buying even MORE pedals. I JUST bought a phase 90, last night. I need to get money before I can buy even more gear. I like the MM4, too...decisions...