Rant

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited September 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
First of all, this is to no particular person-please don't take it personally...

Now, I come to the M&G forum to read up on gear...NOT to give input on a new band. Someone joins the board only to put up links to the band or get input on their playing. Don't get me wrong, I've messaged a few people and shared some of my music. That's totally cool if you have a link in your signature but if you only come to promote your band or "show off your skills" and then add nothing to the board, it's very annoying. If your first post is "Hey, come listen to my band....oh yeah, we have a PJ influence...I guess..", chances are, I'm not gonna see ya on the board giving anything gear related. Now, I know this isn't true for everyone. Heck, I try to keep positive and give a chance, PJ_Gurl even said it a couple times "I'm sure you'll add more tho the board" or somethin of the sort but the thing is, I've never seen the poster ever again.

Also, and I've seen this a lot less on the board, but still...

The "Please help me select a guitar/pedal/amp" is pretty repetitious. More than likely if you look through previous threads on the subject, you'll be able to figure it out. Also, there's a who thread dedicated to pedalboards. Now this isn't all the pedal threads and I'm not trying to be a dick, though it may come across that way. I'm sorry if it does. The majority of the people on this board are awesome and I too was a newbie asking new questions and it's cool to see a lot of gearheads learning and sharing. I enjoy hearing about bandpractices/shows, that's totally cool. Again, this is just something that I've gotta get off my chest.
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I understand your rant for sure. I've seen the same rant on "Other Music" when someone post's there band up there. And they are told to come to this section.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    THANK YOU . . . I said something about it a while back, but I was chastised for it.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    THANK YOU . . . I said something about it a while back, but I was chastised for it.
    I remember that. Know you don't feel this way, alone.
  • kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    If you want to see overkill on the "Help me pick xxx piece of equipment", go to Ultimate Guitar. That place is rediculous!
  • kitfoo wrote:
    If you want to see overkill on the "Help me pick xxx piece of equipment", go to Ultimate Guitar. That place is rediculous!
    Oh yes
  • ianvomsaal wrote:

Short memory, must have a...........

shoooooooooooooooooort memory.

Dude, it was a Pearl Jam Tribute band you blasted, not a random spammer.
    Guys that live, breathe and wear the same underpants as PJ.

Uh oh, Captain Picard, I have detected an ignore button in the quantum singularity !
    On-screen.
    On my mark, engage !!!!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Short memory, must have a...........

shoooooooooooooooooort memory.

Dude, it was a Pearl Jam Tribute band you blasted, not a random spammer.
    Guys that live, breathe and wear the same underpants as PJ.

Uh oh, Captain Picard, I have detected an ignore button in the quantum singularity !
    On-screen.
    On my mark, engage !!!!
    It might have been a PJ tribute band but have we heard from them since? Nope. Whether you're a Pearl Jam tribute band, random band, or Bugs Bunny, at least add to the forum without asking for input on your band. Ian might have been chastised for ragging on tribute bands, and to each their own on that subject, but if you're going to just come to the board to promote your band and nothing else, you're pretty useless.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    First of all, this is to no particular person-please don't take it personally...

Now, I come to the M&G forum to read up on gear...NOT to give input on a new band. Someone joins the board only to put up links to the band or get input on their playing. Don't get me wrong, I've messaged a few people and shared some of my music. That's totally cool if you have a link in your signature but if you only come to promote your band or "show off your skills" and then add nothing to the board, it's very annoying. If your first post is "Hey, come listen to my band....oh yeah, we have a PJ influence...I guess..", chances are, I'm not gonna see ya on the board giving anything gear related. Now, I know this isn't true for everyone. Heck, I try to keep positive and give a chance, PJ_Gurl even said it a couple times "I'm sure you'll add more tho the board" or somethin of the sort but the thing is, I've never seen the poster ever again.

Also, and I've seen this a lot less on the board, but still...

The "Please help me select a guitar/pedal/amp" is pretty repetitious. More than likely if you look through previous threads on the subject, you'll be able to figure it out. Also, there's a who thread dedicated to pedalboards. Now this isn't all the pedal threads and I'm not trying to be a dick, though it may come across that way. I'm sorry if it does. The majority of the people on this board are awesome and I too was a newbie asking new questions and it's cool to see a lot of gearheads learning and sharing. I enjoy hearing about bandpractices/shows, that's totally cool. Again, this is just something that I've gotta get off my chest.
    Good post! It's kind of annoying when people come here for their first post and talk about their band and then you never hear from them again. I feel like the people who post here all the time are like friends helping each other even though we don't really know each other. It's pretty cool.
  • Jam10 wrote:
    Good post! It's kind of annoying when people come here for their first post and talk about their band and then you never hear from them again. I feel like the people who post here all the time and like friends helping each other even though we don't really know each other. It's pretty cool.
    Yeah I really love the 'community' aspect of this whole section! Something you don't get other places.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • My only problem with this section is the lack of knowledge concerning PJ's gear. I'm a member of a forum dedicated to David Gilmour's gear and there are guys that literally know what Gilmour used on one gig to another.

I have no problem when people ask "what equipement should I buy" as that's why most people come here.
  • Yeah I really love the 'community' aspect of this whole section! Something you don't get other places.
    I for one have made a LOT of friends from this place. I thank them all.
  • jcmark611 wrote:
    My only problem with this section is the lack of knowledge concerning PJ's gear. I'm a member of a forum dedicated to David Gilmour's gear and there are guys that literally know what Gilmour used on one gig to another.

I have no problem when people ask "what equipement should I buy" as that's why most people come here.
    I don't know if it's a lack of knowledge, but I think everything has been covered, the best is can. I think the other stuff is just filler until something new comes up. As for the "What Equipment Should I Buy" thing, maybe a thread dedicated to that but the answers are usually the same-if you want PJ's sound, you need a tube amp, a tube screamer/BD-2, Wah, Vibe unit, and delay.
  • I don't know if it's a lack of knowledge, but I think everything has been covered, the best is can. I think the other stuff is just filler until something new comes up. As for the "What Equipment Should I Buy" thing, maybe a thread dedicated to that but the answers are usually the same-if you want PJ's sound, you need a tube amp, a tube screamer/BD-2, Wah, Vibe unit, and delay.

Those are very general answers though. I mean, you could start a long debate on tubescreamer vs. blues drivers, Analogman vs. Keely mods, and even which botique pedal comes closest. Which amp covers which era of PJ the best? That's the kind of thing I'd like to see.

Also, don't forget there are always new people coming into a forum and they deserve to have their questions answered and debated as much as the veterans.

What should be discussed in a Pearl Jam Musicians and Gearheads forum?
    jcmark611 wrote:
    Those are very general answers though. I mean, you could start a long debate on tubescreamer vs. blues drivers, Analogman vs. Keely mods, and even which botique pedal comes closest. Which amp covers which era of PJ the best? That's the kind of thing I'd like to see.

Also, don't forget there are always new people coming into a forum and they deserve to have their questions answered and debated as much as the veterans.

if people want to know what Mike has used, we send them here: http://www.giventowail.com/gearlist.php?who=mike&what=all
    as far as which TS-9 and BD-2 Mike uses - Keeley Mods of both: http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/ianvomsaal/MikeMcCreadysPedalBoard.jpg
    regulars on this forum know this, and anyone that does a seach of "Mike McCready" & "TS-9" or" BD-2" will find this info.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    jcmark611 wrote:
    Whatever anyone wants. Not just pearl jam gear related. (i do admit to loving that though).
    If it was just that, then we wouldnt get to see Ian's Taj Mahal gear room, lucys new pony, (Did you guys see that? His new pony. Holy crap, so awesome.) Exhausteds new project, jam10's new ideas for his 'soundproof room', and so many other things. The last thing you want is people to be 'worried' about what they post. There are no stupid questions. None. What might seem obvious to one of us, is not always obvious to new people. That's what's so great about this forum. Everyone bends over backwards to help and give their views and support to anyone who is looking for advice.

I get that people are a little annoyed at people who come to purely spam their stuff but that doesn't mean that anything should change. It can be annoying, so i totally understand where extremehardy is coming from. I clicked on a link for a new member who was clearly a spammer and it took me to their myspace account, which took forever to load because they had so much crap. It ended up freezing up the computer. But oh well. Lesson learnt. I didn't have to click.

I just ignore the spammers now. I don't think when they are posting their spam that they use the search function to see what our reaction is gonna be. Whether we like it or not it's going happen. No amount of complaining is going change it.

Seriously love this place. Everyone is awesome. Really appreciate and respect the views of others. Just ignore the spammers and click on the next thread.
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    if people want to know what Mike has used, we send them here: http://www.giventowail.com/gearlist.php?who=mike&what=all
    as far as which TS-9 and BD-2 Mike uses - Keeley Mods of both: http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/ianvomsaal/MikeMcCreadysPedalBoard.jpg
    regulars on this forum know this, and anyone that does a seach of "Mike McCready" & "TS-9" or" BD-2" will find this info.

Sure that's what Mike uses now but, what if someone wants to duplicate the early years, before Keely.

Also, is the Keely mod worth it for amatuer player?

This isn't really the place for this discussion but, I don't why it should be brushed aside becuase it's "common knowledge".
    jcmark611 wrote:
    Sure that's what Mike uses now but, what if someone wants to duplicate the early years, before Keely.

Also, is the Keely mod worth it for amatuer player?

This isn't really the place for this discussion but, I don't why it should be brushed aside becuase it's "common knowledge".
    earlier years - I gave the link - just scroll down (it's there):
    http://www.giventowail.com/gearlist.php?who=mike&what=all
    are keely mods worth it . . . sure (have you heard the difference).
    amature or not, better tone is better tone - no you dont need to
    have the keeley mod - the original pedals sound fine by themselves.
  • Just out of curiosity, would my thread on "advice on amps" be an example of what is irritating you guys? Like Pjgurl was saying, I kind of feel like I should be biting my tongue now when I have a question about amps or guitars etc, afraid to ask..
    There are some people like myself that dont have alot of time available and arent on here very much and therefore are probably considered new or not one of the regulars or whatever, but I come on every now and again and I post threads because im curious and interested in peoples opinions on gear that im considering. I have found that advice on this forum is a damn lot better than what I get at a music shop. And we all share a common interest (obviously) so its easier to understand what fellow members are after i guess.

I have tried searching but I found that alot of other topics that I have found arent as relevant to exactly what IM looking for. And personally, I think a thread about gear that people are interested in (that may have been similarly touched on in previous threads) is still quite valid to be here, considering that there a threads here that arent really relevant to anything in particular, or just stories about something thats happened (I have no problem with this).

But I guess i do understand that people that are on here very often would get sick of answering very similar questions over and over.

Spamming - I fully agree with you.

Just my two cents also. I really hope I didnt step on anyones toes just then. I have had loads of help from people on here and I appreciate and value every board members opinion very highly. Cheers
    "I dont question, our existence
    I just question, our modern needs"
  • It might have been a PJ tribute band but have we heard from them since? Nope. Whether you're a Pearl Jam tribute band, random band, or Bugs Bunny, at least add to the forum without asking for input on your band. Ian might have been chastised for ragging on tribute bands, and to each their own on that subject, but if you're going to just come to the board to promote your band and nothing else, you're pretty useless.

Yeah, well I'm not really arguing with you on that point. I have made a few posts about myself, but stopped, as it was effectively a bump for those theads, so now i just ignore em.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Whatever anyone wants. Not just pearl jam gear related. (i do admit to loving that though).
    If it was just that, then we wouldnt get to see Ian's Taj Mahal gear room, lucys new pony, (Did you guys see that? His new pony. Holy crap, so awesome.) Exhausteds new project, jam10's new ideas for his 'soundproof room', and so many other things. The last thing you want is people to be 'worried' about what they post. There are no stupid questions. None. What might seem obvious to one of us, is not always obvious to new people. That's what's so great about this forum. Everyone bends over backwards to help and give their views and support to anyone who is looking for advice.

I get that people are a little annoyed at people who come to purely spam their stuff but that doesn't mean that anything should change. It can be annoying, so i totally understand where extremehardy is coming from. I clicked on a link for a new member who was clearly a spammer and it took me to their myspace account, which took forever to load because they had so much crap. It ended up freezing up the computer. But oh well. Lesson learnt. I didn't have to click.

I just ignore the spammers now. I don't think when they are posting their spam that they use the search function to see what our reaction is gonna be. Whether we like it or not it's going happen. No amount of complaining is going change it.

Seriously love this place. Everyone is awesome. Really appreciate and respect the views of others. Just ignore the spammers and click on the next thread.

excellent stuff :)

i've always read this forum and its helped me out a shitload when i was just starting out, and even now i still pick up great hints/advice from others... i remember I even asked how to get sticky goo off my guitar... and i was given answers!! :):D

as for all the 'what equipment should i buy' threads and the people getting annoyed about them... eh, just don't open it maybe? :confused: isnt that the easiest thing to do? we got the PJ giventowail site stickied... what about starting a thread about "how to get the PJ sound' and ask for it to be stickied also?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    Kegzy05 wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, would my thread on "advice on amps" be an example of what is irritating you guys? Like Pjgurl was saying, I kind of feel like I should be biting my tongue now when I have a question about amps or guitars etc, afraid to ask..
    There are some people like myself that dont have alot of time available and arent on here very much and therefore are probably considered new or not one of the regulars or whatever, but I come on every now and again and I post threads because im curious and interested in peoples opinions on gear that im considering. I have found that advice on this forum is a damn lot better than what I get at a music shop. And we all share a common interest (obviously) so its easier to understand what fellow members are after i guess.

I have tried searching but I found that alot of other topics that I have found arent as relevant to exactly what IM looking for. And personally, I think a thread about gear that people are interested in (that may have been similarly touched on in previous threads) is still quite valid to be here, considering that there a threads here that arent really relevant to anything in particular, or just stories about something thats happened (I have no problem with this).

But I guess i do understand that people that are on here very often would get sick of answering very similar questions over and over.

Just my two cents also. I really hope I didnt step on anyones toes just then. I have had loads of help from people on here and I appreciate and value every board members opinion very highly. Cheers
    No man, please ask away . . .
    I'll say this for everyone on here - please don't go feeling like you can't ask questions. I'm positive
    it's not why xtremehardy388 started this thread in the first place - it's the people that join the
    forum purely for self promotion (look at my band or my website), and then never post anything
    more but maybe another 'check me or my band out' - or we take a look at their ten other posts,
    and every single one of them is something like 'if you like Pearl Jam then you'll love my band'.

If you need advice on an amp or some equipment, and it hasn't been covered 25-times in the last
    6-months, please ask away (you have 99-posts to your name anyway - the worst reply you'd get
    would be something like 'that was already covered last month' and then a link to the previous post).
    Overall most of us are fairly civil and friendly to one another (with a few exceptions & spats aside).

Hopefully this somewhat reassures you that we're not a bunch of elitists - most people on here are
    fairly decent people - luckily, I've been pretty free for the past year, so I've checked this forum quite
    regularly, doing my best to help whomever has questions (because I love gear, I own a ton of it, and
    I use most of it on a daily basis). I'm not always available to answer questions, but I do answer my
    share of questions. If you haven't been welcomed to the forum - welcome.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
  • Pj_Gurl wrote:

What she said.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • jcmark611 wrote:

I agree that they shold be discussed but at least read up so you have a better idea. Answering the same question over and over and over gets repetitious.
  • Kegzy05 wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, would my thread on "advice on amps" be an example of what is irritating you guys? Like Pjgurl was saying, I kind of feel like I should be biting my tongue now when I have a question about amps or guitars etc, afraid to ask..

Not at all, man. Thank Ian, for getting that, before I did. You've added a lot this this board and you're not simply self promoting. Your thread about advice on amps wasn't just "I want to sound like Pearl Jam, what amp should I get...". You're all good, man, totally. I didn't mean to possibly offend you. You're not included in my rant, hah
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    this thread sucks.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    exhausted wrote:
    this thread sucks.

agreed. you guys are cool... don't turn into elitist guitar center employees:D
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Trailer wrote:
    agreed. you guys are cool... don't turn into elitist guitar center employees:D
    Not trying to at all, just sharing my opinion.
  • Yeah, well I'm not really arguing with you on that point. I have made a few posts about myself, but stopped, as it was effectively a bump for those theads, so now i just ignore em.
    Don't get me wrong, I totally dig hearing about practices and stuff and it sometimes inspires me to pick up my guitar and play. You may talk about your band but you've added countless times to this forum.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Not trying to at all, just sharing my opinion.

I know.. I'm just fucking with ya;)
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Kegzy05 wrote:

I agree with the above. I come here a good amount but mostly just read whats going on. I will post if I have a quesiton or if I have an answer to somebodies question.

I personally don't see a problem with somebody mentioning their band and their music as in my mind that's what this forum is for. It does get annoying seeing peoples first posts selling their band but is there any way to avoid that? I'm sure it happens in any forum. Usually those posts just get ignored and we don't hear from them again. However, if we gave criticism and compliment maybe we would hear from them more. Whether that's a good thing or not.

I read a lot about peoples practices or jam sessions at home or auditioning for bands. However, it seems discussion of actually being in bands and discussion of peoples music is generallly avoided and somewhat looked down upon. I kind of find that strange.

Bottom line though I like coming here to read peoples opinions and there is a lot of usefull info and advice in this forum.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”