How do I do it?

Can I do it with a tube hybrid?
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    generally, connecting the two channels of an amp to blend them.

for instance, on my tweed deluxe and 18watt clone amps, i can plug my guitar into the hi input of the normal channel, then take a jumper cable and plug it from the lo input of the normal channel to the hi (or lo) input of the bright channel (or tmb channel in the case of my 18watt).

this allows you to blend the channels using the two volumes, creating different gain and EQ flavours over and above what you'd get using just one channel. generally,the result is more gain as well.

i do it a lot with my 18watt because the normal channel doesn't have quite enough gain or EQ range on it's own and the TMB channel has too much gain. so i blend the two to add a little more gain and greater EQ control to my normal channel.

doesn't work on fender blackface amps as their normal and vibrato channels are out of phase with eachother so turning them both up thins the output horribly.
  • Am I able to do this with my Roc Pro 700?
    no, you only have one input.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    You generally do it with 3 or 4-input amps.
    Now you can do it on Fenders (or other polarity-reversed preamps) too.
    http://www.barberelectronics.com/LaunchPad.htm
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    You generally do it with 3 or 4-input amps.
    Now you can do it on Fenders (or other polarity-reversed preamps) too.
    http://www.barberelectronics.com/LaunchPad.htm

i used to have one of those. it worked very well.
  • i have a 1974 marshall jmp with 4 inputs and i jump the channels. for the music i play, in my opinion jumping the channels is the only way to play that amp. to my ear it sounds much better than using a single input.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I use a Morley AB/Y pedal to switch and jump the two channels of my Sovtek Mig 50's, and it works great. Like a Bassman, or some older Marshalls, it has two channels with separate inputs; one is comparable to a "normal" channel, with a more trebley tone, while the other is a "bass" channel for more low-end. With the AB/Y, I can choose either channel by itself, or combine both. It's pretty much the same as jumping the amp, except it gives you the option of each channel as well as both, all at the push of two footswitch buttons.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I use a Morley AB/Y pedal to switch and jump the two channels of my Sovtek Mig 50's, and it works great. Like a Bassman, or some older Marshalls, it has two channels with separate inputs; one is comparable to a "normal" channel, with a more trebley tone, while the other is a "bass" channel for more low-end. With the AB/Y, I can choose either channel by itself, or combine both. It's pretty much the same as jumping the amp, except it gives you the option of each channel as well as both, all at the push of two footswitch buttons.
    Is it possible to do this with my single input roc pro? Like, if I bought an AB/Y switch?
    Is it possible to do this with my single input roc pro? Like, if I bought an AB/Y switch?
    no
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    no
    DAMNIT!

I want to get a yes on SOMETHING I can do with my amp...OTHER THAN THROWING IT OUT
  • Trade it for a tube amp.

Like Ian said, nope. To jump an amp, you need separate inputs for each channel. The Roc Pro only has one input, and the signal is switched between channels internally. If you REALLY wanted to jump your amp, it would require some hefty internal re-wiring. You would need to wire the existing input directly to the clean channel, add a second input that is hard-wired to the drive channel, and engage both channels so they're both always on. I can't promise this is even possible, but if it was possible, that's how it would be done. And the only thing this would enable is to have both your clean and drive channels going at once.
  • Like Ian said, nope. To jump an amp, you need separate inputs for each channel. The Roc Pro only has one input, and the signal is switched between channels internally. If you REALLY wanted to jump your amp, it would require some hefty internal re-wiring. You would need to wire the existing input directly to the clean channel, add a second input that is hard-wired to the drive channel, and engage both channels so they're both always on. I can't promise this is even possible, but if it was possible, that's how it would be done. And the only thing this would enable is to have both your clean and drive channels going at once.
    Rats. Well, I like the clean in the Roc Pro but the drive too distorted, even when the drive is turned to one. Hmmm
  • Rats. Well, I like the clean in the Roc Pro but the drive too distorted, even when the drive is turned to one. Hmmm

when playing the distorted channel, rock back the volume on your guitar. that will clean up your distortion a little. you don't have to dime your guitar volume knobs all the time. thats where dynamics come from.

• when playing the distorted channel, rock back the volume on your guitar. that will clean up your distortion a little. you don't have to dime your guitar volume knobs all the time. thats where dynamics come from.
    Ahh, all right. Thank you.
  • Ahh, all right. Thank you.
    no problem. i use single channel heads only so i had to figure out how to use my guitar volume knobs and pickup selector switch to make my rig as versatile as possible.

what i do is set my amp distortion pretty hot then use my neck pickup with the volume low enough so my tone cleans up. for light distortion i use the middle switch setting with the bridge pickup turned down slightly. for mega distortion i use the bridge pickup with the volume nearly dimed or dimed depending on what the song needs. its a bit of a learning curve, but once you figure it out its very simple.

• no problem. i use single channel heads only so i had to figure out how to use my guitar volume knobs and pickup selector switch to make my rig as versatile as possible.

what i do is set my amp distortion pretty hot then use my neck pickup with the volume low enough so my tone cleans up. for light distortion i use the middle switch setting with the bridge pickup turned down slightly. for mega distortion i use the bridge pickup with the volume nearly dimed or dimed depending on what the song needs. its a bit of a learning curve, but once you figure it out its very simple.
    I'll have to try this out in the morning. What kind of amps do you have?
    Rats. Well, I like the clean in the Roc Pro but the drive too distorted, even when the drive is turned to one. Hmmm
    They also make volume pedals with a minimum volume control, so you
    can set it to act as a little volume boost if needed. These two have this
    feature, so one of them may help you out:
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Morley-Volume-Plus-Pedal?sku=151059
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-FV500H-Mono-Volume-Pedal?sku=151042
    Or you can just get something like the Xotic RC Booster (RC= really clean).
    http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/xotic/effects/rc_booster/

- Ian
  • I'll have to try this out in the morning. What kind of amps do you have?

yeah you just have to play around with it and find out what you like. right now i have a 1994 matchless clubman and a 1974 marshall jmp (non master volume) that i gig with. the matchless is a bare bones single channel head. the marshall has 2 channels but there is no way to switch them so instead of using one channel i jump them to get more out of the amp. i also have a marshall jcm 900 and i had a jcm 800 that i sold because i got the 1974. right now i gig mostly with the jmp because we are playing bigger places and there is no master volume. for smaller places i use the matchless because i can dontrol the volume better. my tone is solely from the amp with a pedal here or there to color the tone somewhat.

• JMP and JCM....what's the difference and what do those initials mean?
  • JMP and JCM....what's the difference and what do those initials mean?
    there is a ton of info here. there is a part one to this but it talks about the older marshalls. this one starts in 1973 or so i think and goes to the jcm 2000s. this should answer your questions:

http://www.legendarytones.com/marshallshoppers2.html

JMP and JCM....what's the difference and what do those initials mean?

JCM stands for James (Jim) Charles Marshall, the progenitor of Marshall amps. JMP stands for Jim Marshall Products. JTM stands for Jim & Terry Marshall (Terry was Jim's son). JVM stands for Jim & Victoria Marshall. They're all just various series in the Marshall timeline.
  • Thank you, both