Do Pearl Jam use session-guitarists?

2»

Comments

• Pj_Gurl wrote:
    i'm not sure if you come into the gear forum much and read whats being posted, so please don't take this the wrong way .

you are dead right about it being the internet. no doubt some things should be taken with a grain of salt. you won't find too much convo in here about what color undies mike wears, which picture eddie looks hot in, which is the best PJ album for the 100th time this week, whether or not someone should do the neighbor :rolleyes: or how much the yankees suck.

those of us that post and who are musicians, don't find it too hard to work out who is genuine and who is not. i have absolutely no doubt that anything that ianvomsaal posts is on the money and straight up. there are tons of posts here where he has provided valuable help and assistance.

personally i think this forum is one lucky place to have someone with his talents and knowledge.

check out his myspace. he has done session work for plenty of good bands, not just pearl jam. click on the link and listen to 'for the love of vai.'

kinda hard to take talent like that with 'a grain of salt'.

http://www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal

Pffffft.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Didnt Brendan Obrien add some keys when he worked with them.

A session guitarist wouldnt be that bad a thing if for some reason there was a guy that was really proficient at a certain style.

For instance, John Paul Jones could play piano, but Boogie with Stu was played and inspired by Rolling Stones studio manager Ian Stewart, who was a boogie-woogie piano virtuoso. I dont think somethin like that is a big deal really. Somethin like that is much less likely to happen with guitar though.

What's the point in a band writing a song in a style they can't play in? Doesn't make sense to me. Work with what you've got, or go and join Depeche Mode.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • What's the point in a band writing a song in a style they can't play in? Doesn't make sense to me. Work with what you've got, or go and join Depeche Mode.

It's not about that at all. I realize your comment was a response to Oh Jimmy saying that Like Ian said earlier, sometimes they just want to hear the song played by someone with fresh ears. Or it might be the live recording case where they want another guitar for a more full sound. It's easy to get lost in your own creative process and forget what you were after in the first place.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 207
    Jackieboy wrote:
    The title says it all! Personally I'm very much against using session-guitarists...

That really depends on the band or singer. I have a friend who is an unreal session guitarist. For the right person, these guys are good to have in your back pocket. For bands, it makes absolutely no sense at all.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    What's the point in a band writing a song in a style they can't play in? Doesn't make sense to me. Work with what you've got, or go and join Depeche Mode.

Ya gotta know the whole story, harmless.

Zep were recording at Hedly Grange using the Rolling Stones moble studio. Stu had dropped around to check that everything was going OK, and that hte gear was fine etc.
    While he was there, he jumped on the piano for a jam, and they knocked out Boogie with Stu.

Remember , the Hedley Grange sessions were very informal. I have seen a wonderful pic of Page and Plant dancing aound outside, with the recording truck doors open and the music from one of the tracks (possibly Dancing Days) they had just laid blasting out. A total contrast to fiddling with ProTools.
    When the Levee Breaks was done with the drums in the halll, cos a new kit arrived, and there was nowhere else to put it, but the result was fantastic.
    HAts Off to Roy HArper was an impromptu song from just two takes with Plant singing through teh tremolo channel on an amp that was lying around while PAge jammed the slide work.
    Other musos would stroll in regularly to hang out or do drugs or whatever with all the bands in those days.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    some cat named neil played on long road and i got shit........maybe mike and stone were busy?
  • brain of c wrote:
    some cat named neil played on long road and i got shit........maybe mike and stone were busy?

Yea they were playin paintball

Mike:STONE, YOU DID NOT JUST GET THAT HEAD SHOOT
    Stone:I DIDDDDDDDDDDDDD
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    Mad question that??????
  • SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    i'm not sure if you come into the gear forum much and read whats being posted, so please don't take this the wrong way .

you are dead right about it being the internet. no doubt some things should be taken with a grain of salt. you won't find too much convo in here about what color undies mike wears, which picture eddie looks hot in, which is the best PJ album for the 100th time this week, whether or not someone should do the neighbor :rolleyes: or how much the yankees suck.

those of us that post and who are musicians, don't find it too hard to work out who is genuine and who is not. i have absolutely no doubt that anything that ianvomsaal posts is on the money and straight up. there are tons of posts here where he has provided valuable help and assistance.

personally i think this forum is one lucky place to have someone with his talents and knowledge.

check out his myspace. he has done session work for plenty of good bands, not just pearl jam. click on the link and listen to 'for the love of vai.'

kinda hard to take talent like that with 'a grain of salt'.

http://www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal

Well, just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment here: none of that in any way changes my opinion and nor should it. Just because Ian might be a phenomenal guitarist (I wouldn't know, I haven't listened to the samples but I'm happy to take your word for it), doesn't really prove much - nor does the fact that I don't post in this forum very often.

I still treat his claims with a fair amount of skepticism and why not? Nothing in anything I've seen in his posts is any kind of proof. He's suspiciously vague about the song he played on and all the gear information he posted could've been cribbed from a glance at the inside cover to No Code or a quick websearch.

I'm not really out for it to be proved to me that this guy's legit as unless I see hard evidence I won't be convinced he's played on any of their recorded material. I'm just sharing an opinion; the point of a message board, surely. I have to admit, I'm somewhat surprised that nobody had thought to question the claim before me.

The band have gone to great lengths to point out whenever another musician has played on one of their tracks: Jimmy The Drum Tech on Satan's Bed, Neil Young on the Merkinball tracks, Brendan O'Brien on various tracks over the years. I don't buy that they'd be covertly tracking stuff with session musicians, that's all.

Just one guy's opinion, not looking to start any fights...please feel free to just ignore it if you don't agree.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    spencer wrote:
    Well, just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment here: none of that in any way changes my opinion and nor should it. Just because Ian might be a phenomenal guitarist (I wouldn't know, I haven't listened to the samples but I'm happy to take your word for it), doesn't really prove much - nor does the fact that I don't post in this forum very often.

I still treat his claims with a fair amount of skepticism and why not? Nothing in anything I've seen in his posts is any kind of proof. He's suspiciously vague about the song he played on and all the gear information he posted could've been cribbed from a glance at the inside cover to No Code or a quick websearch.

I'm not really out for it to be proved to me that this guy's legit as unless I see hard evidence I won't be convinced he's played on any of their recorded material. I'm just sharing an opinion; the point of a message board, surely. I have to admit, I'm somewhat surprised that nobody had thought to question the claim before me.

The band have gone to great lengths to point out whenever another musician has played on one of their tracks: Jimmy The Drum Tech on Satan's Bed, Neil Young on the Merkinball tracks, Brendan O'Brien on various tracks over the years. I don't buy that they'd be covertly tracking stuff with session musicians, that's all.

Just one guy's opinion, not looking to start any fights...please feel free to just ignore it if you don't agree.
    i've had a few pm's about my post telling me that i was out of line. i apologize if i offended anyone.

thanks.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    i've had a few pm's about my post telling me that i was out of line. i apologize if i offended anyone.

thanks.

Jeez, do they send PM's telling you your undies have a hole in em too ??

I hardly think you were out of line, and I hardly think that being PM'ed like a schoolteacher chastising little Johhny is "in-line". How much detention did you get ??
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I hardly think you were out of line, and I hardly think that being PM'ed like a schoolteacher chastising little Johhny is "in-line". How much detention did you get ??

I didn't think she was out of line either... and I also don't think PM's about it were necessary. She's someone who posts on this section of the forum often, so I think she's entitled to responses like those. That's why I got pissed off on the Jimmy Page thread. Some jerk-off comes on, reads my response, and tries to call me out? Who the hell is he?
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...