Options

framed poster thread

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    So do you guys generally take the posters in flat or in tube?
    Mine are all flattened but I need to take them in to match the mat.  I move them in a Science Project display.  They can fit just about any poster, even the monster Sperry.  And it's only $15 or so.  Better than carrying them with your greasy fingers.  
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    ^Yep, tri-panel exhibition boards are great for transport.  Hell, I use them for storage, too (with glassine paper in between each print).
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    edited July 2017
    mrussel1 said:
    DavidD said:
    For thoues framing your own posters are you using acid free tape, and matting?.
    are you putting spacers so the print doesn't touch the glass? 

Of course you use acid free tape, but the amount of tape you need to use is extremely limited.  A touch on each corner which is only on the back of the poster is plenty to hold it.  Matting... I have no idea if the matting is acid free or not.  But you use the same matting that they are using in the frame shops since you buy it from them.  As long as they aren't hanging in direct sunlight, I'm pretty sure we are all going to break down and disintegrate well before the art does.  
    I'll look into acid free matting when I hang my original Dali's and Rembrandt's.  Until then, I'd prefer to spend $50 bucks a print to frame rather than $400, considering they are just rock posters.  
    I'm sure some people have no clue. UV glass will help with posters in the sunlight. I live in a condo and have floor to ceiling windows so the UV protective glass is a must for me. 
    Just watching out for the new guy. 

Post edited by DavidD on
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Flat in my portfolio- taking out all the other prints 
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,472
    Flat in my portfolio- taking out all the other prints 
    This is what I do
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    You also need to have the prints lay flat at least a week before putting them in your portfolio or file. I usually put books on the edges and lay it where it will not be disturbed. 
  • Options
    DavidD said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DavidD said:
    For thoues framing your own posters are you using acid free tape, and matting?.
    are you putting spacers so the print doesn't touch the glass? 

Of course you use acid free tape, but the amount of tape you need to use is extremely limited.  A touch on each corner which is only on the back of the poster is plenty to hold it.  Matting... I have no idea if the matting is acid free or not.  But you use the same matting that they are using in the frame shops since you buy it from them.  As long as they aren't hanging in direct sunlight, I'm pretty sure we are all going to break down and disintegrate well before the art does.  
    I'll look into acid free matting when I hang my original Dali's and Rembrandt's.  Until then, I'd prefer to spend $50 bucks a print to frame rather than $400, considering they are just rock posters.  
    I'm sure some people have no clue. UV glass will help with posters in the sunlight. I live in a condo and have floor to ceiling windows so the UV protective glass is a must for me. 
    Just watching out for the new guy. 

Yeah mine are all on my third floor and there's only one window.  It's dark as hell 24 hours a day, so I don't need to worry about that too much. 
    And the pool table is a perfect place to flatten them out for a few weeks, undisturbed.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,472
    You also need to have the prints lay flat at least a week before putting them in your portfolio or file. I usually put books on the edges and lay it where it will not be disturbed. 
    My last patch of posters I have laid flat have been under weight for 2 months, making sure they stay flat lol
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:
    My last patch of posters I have laid flat have been under weight for 2 months, making sure they stay flat lol
    Sometimes they stay in my portfolio for a while too...before they go to the shop, some never make it 
  • Options
    Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900
    JP218404 said:
    Recent Kong frame up

that's beauitful 
    And framed myself. I still wonder why some people pay $250+ for frame jobs. This cost me about half of that...
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Where do the Canadian folks go for reasonably priced framing. (There is no Hobby Lobby around here).
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    JP218404 said:
    Recent Kong frame up

that's beauitful 
    And framed myself. I still wonder why some people pay $250+ for frame jobs. This cost me about half of that...
    Amen...  do you use the Logan mat cutter?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Where do the Canadian folks go for reasonably priced framing. (There is no Hobby Lobby around here).
    Probably because y'all respect human rights more up there.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Probably because y'all respect human rights more up there.
    Is this the head of Hobby Lobby?   Obscure reference, I know...antiquity hunter from Raiders...

• Options
    BeetypeBeetype Sweden Posts: 8

Just brought it home EV Antwerp 2017. Now I just have to find a place to hang it...
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    ^^^i like that.  Think the black surrounding it makes it stand out even more
  • Options
    Got my Mumford AP framed.  Went with midnight blue and a Yellowish/gold that matched "Eddie Vedder". Love this poster. 

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760
    Got my Mumford AP framed.  Went with midnight blue and a Yellowish/gold that matched "Eddie Vedder". Love this poster. 

That is a winner there. Nice job. 
  • Options
    Thanks!  Hanging it today. 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,436
    Thanks!  Hanging it today. 
    Impressive!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    This wall in my basement was the perfect size to fit 6 18x24 posters.  Got them all framed in the same style frame.  I think it came out pretty good.  Now time to fill up the rest of the wall space down here!

• Options
    Looks awesome ^^^
  • Options
    This wall in my basement was the perfect size to fit 6 18x24 posters.  Got them all framed in the same style frame.  I think it came out pretty good.  Now time to fill up the rest of the wall space down here!

Looks great.  I use homogeneous frames for the same room too.  I think it looks good.  Also easy to rotate frame jobs in and out!
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,436
    mrussel1 said:

Looks great.  I use homogeneous frames for the same room too.  I think it looks good.  Also easy to rotate frame jobs in and out!
    I prefer to use the same frames for all my posters too... nice job!  =)

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    jazzbo26jazzbo26 Framingham, MA Posts: 674
    That's a small fortune on those walls!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited July 2017
    I have been struggling with this decision.

What do you think of this, without mat, but with UV Glass and Acid Free Backing.....?

or

with

Personally, I am leaning toward the mint-green one.  The dark green looks cooler, but it seems to suck the eyes away from the image, maybe?  The mint green seems closer to the green on Thomas' Green Monster.

Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    I like that frame and works great for that picture.  I was going to use the blue one for Klausen Wrigley.  The problem is that it will look super green without any mat to break up the color flow, unless you think the white border will show.  
    If no white showing, I would re-consider the mat OR change the frame to a light blue faded wood or even a red.  There's lots of colors choose from with that print. 
    Just my opinion...  
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    That site only allows for a minimum 1.5 inch mat, which seems to bulk it out and takes away from the quaint wood feel

Maybe im wrong?

Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    I guess that's a preference thing.  I like matting myself as I try to draw colors out that I think are cool in the print.  1.5" is pretty standard and I don't think it will take away from the frame... in fact I think the frame looks really good in the photo.  Appears to be the same size.  
    FWIW, I think the green frame, white mat looks good, better than the cream or red.  The red breaks the flow.  It's too different.  
  • Options
    yeah, I am warming up to it.