Options

framed poster thread

Comments

• Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    holy crap dude!! that is awesome! I can't really afford to do something like that. I just need to find a poster frame that fits it, kinda difficult since it's 12x24.

I bought a 12x36 frame and then going to put the Wrigley stickers and ticket stubs underneath the poster. Hopefully that ends up looking okay.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    derbydave wrote:
    Just got my Wrigley / Cracker Jack Poster back from the Framing Center:

SDC12390_zpseefe615c.jpg

Wrigley Trading Card for Each Band Member:

SDC12392_zps1249e60a.jpg

10 Club Happy Hour & BBQ Pass / Wrigley Postcard / Event Sticker:

SDC12397_zpse4fb89bd.jpg

Photocopy of the back of the poster attached to the back of the frame:

SDC12399_zps28486c54.jpg

Matte Detail:

SDC12400_zps77269314.jpg

VERY HAPPY with the way this one turned out!!
    :ugeek:
    GORGEOUS!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Its been a while so I have returned to the Framers!! Hopefully it wont be as long next time

Heres my 4 newest prints/pieces: -
    Paul... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE your EV Ukulele Songs book Frame Job!!!
    That's a BEAUTY BUDDY!!!
    The Berlin '10 is AMAZING too...
    VERY NICE :clap::clap:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,948
    dougfloyd wrote:
    holy crap dude!! that is awesome! I can't really afford to do something like that. I just need to find a poster frame that fits it, kinda difficult since it's 12x24.

I bought a 12x36 frame and then going to put the Wrigley stickers and ticket stubs underneath the poster. Hopefully that ends up looking okay.

could do that, are you gonna matte it?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,075
    dougfloyd wrote:

could do that, are you gonna matte it?

I just ordered a 14 x 26 frame for the Cracker Jack- got it for $18 shipped from Amazon. I picked out a matte from American Frame for another $8 or so...
    Its possible to "custom" frame something relatively inexpensively-as long as you aren't looking to go super fancy. We just framed a pretty large amount of posters and I think they all look great- each cost under $30. I will post pics once we finish up this final (for now...)next round :D
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,605
    Does anyone know if it's possible to order double-paned frames online (glass front and back, with a frame, for the floating look)?? I'm having a hell of a time finding anything... and maybe the shipping of them is too delicate for them to try? I'm having trouble finding larger sizes locally too, unless I get them custom, which seems unnecessary for this kind of framing. Any advice would be appreciated. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Does anyone know if it's possible to order double-paned frames online (glass front and back, with a frame, for the floating look)?? I'm having a hell of a time finding anything... and maybe the shipping of them is too delicate for them to try? I'm having trouble finding larger sizes locally too, unless I get them custom, which seems unnecessary for this kind of framing. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

If I am understanding your question correctly, you want to see both the front & back of your poster. I went to American Frame last week to do the same for my Cracker Jack poster.

Instead of buying the mounting board for the back, you can by another piece of plexi. So, if you looked at it from the side it would be plexi, mat(s), poster, mat, plexi.

When I was there they just finished a frame for someone else. It was 1 frame with 2 albums in it. The vinyl was pulled out 3/4 of the way out of the sleeve & it was matted that way. They did plexi on both sides so you could see both sides of the albums & vinyl. It looked really nice.

I hope this helps you out a little.
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
  • Options
    jason_94 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

If I am understanding your question correctly, you want to see both the front & back of your poster. I went to American Frame last week to do the same for my Cracker Jack poster.

Instead of buying the mounting board for the back, you can by another piece of plexi. So, if you looked at it from the side it would be plexi, mat(s), poster, mat, plexi.

When I was there they just finished a frame for someone else. It was 1 frame with 2 albums in it. The vinyl was pulled out 3/4 of the way out of the sleeve & it was matted that way. They did plexi on both sides so you could see both sides of the albums & vinyl. It looked really nice.

Thanks Jason. :) I'm not actually looking for any matte. It's just glass/plexi on glass/plexi, surrounded by a solid frame (so yes, so I can see front and back, but also so I can see the entire poster floating). I am hoping to just be able to buy the frames and mount the posters myself, but more and more I'm suspecting that I'm going to have to go custom on this. :(
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,075
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Thanks Jason. :) I'm not actually looking for any matte. It's just glass/plexi on glass/plexi, surrounded by a solid frame (so yes, so I can see front and back, but also so I can see the entire poster floating). I am hoping to just be able to buy the frames and mount the posters myself, but more and more I'm suspecting that I'm going to have to go custom on this. :(

Let me know what size and i will help scour the Internet for you :)
    I love this shit :D
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Let me know what size and i will help scour the Internet for you :)
    I love this shit :D
    Wow, thanks!!!!! :D

I think probably two inches space on each side would be good, so:

Signed RNDM Seattle poster, 20"x26" = 24"x30" frame
    EV NYC 2 2011 Rogers and Kozik, 17"x24" = 21"x28" frame
    EV 2009 tour Clausen poster, 18"x24" = 22"x28" frame
    Wrigley Emek, `17"x24" = 21"x28" frame

... OR, I could get all the same sized frame (24"x30" to fit the biggest poster), so they all match, and the different sized posters might look cool that way, I don't know. What do you think?? Certainly easier that way... Just not sure if it would look weird or not.

BTW, just came across this on the Kozik website... Look familiar? :? :?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7Ly4xFIvJhYBt10D09MqymS7Y3H8AKt6pUKHFBG8rcPqNmCPYBw
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    I have two posters sitting in my closet. Been telling myself I'd get them framed for a looooong time but keep forgetting. One is from 2003! :shock:
  • Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    mca47 wrote:
    I have two posters sitting in my closet. Been telling myself I'd get them framed for a looooong time but keep forgetting. One is from 2003! :shock:

Have fun getting those to lay flat....I have some from that era that I am in the process of getting flat so I can put them in my new flat file binder case thing. I thought 1 week was going to be enough, 2 weeks will be in another couple days :corn: :lol:
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options
    pulling69 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Have fun getting those to lay flat....I have some from that era that I am in the process of getting flat so I can put them in my new flat file binder case thing. I thought 1 week was going to be enough, 2 weeks will be in another couple days :corn: :lol:

What's the best way to get them flat for framing?
    I have one from '03 and a EV poster from his last tour. Both are equally "want to roll up". Woulda thought '03's would have been worse, but they are the same.
    Should I try to roll them "backwards" on a poster tube and leave them that way for a week or so? :?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    mca47 wrote:
    pulling69 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

What's the best way to get them flat for framing?
    I have one from '03 and a EV poster from his last tour. Both are equally "want to roll up". Woulda thought '03's would have been worse, but they are the same.
    Should I try to roll them "backwards" on a poster tube and leave them that way for a week or so? :?
    I need to flatten mine too... I began to try and roll one backwards, and I could immediately tell that I was likely to ruin the poster doing that. I'm thinking the best method is to just lay them flat (with something holding the ends down or in a poster portfolio case) for as long as it takes. I've had a couple of mine in tubes for over a year now. :fp:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    DON'T roll them backwards, you could crack the printing and/or warp the image and/or stress the paper... You want an area where you can leave the posters for an extended amount of time where they have enough room to be flat and not have anything happen to them(spills, stepped on, etc). People have different techniques to get them flat but they all take time. Here is mine:

1. Take poster out of tube and let it "relax" for a few days or longer if you have the time/space.
    2. After they start to unroll a bit on there own you want to make a sandwich of prints, acid free paper, and some sort of "stiff" top and bottom. I use extra poster backing board slabs that I ordered, plywood or plastic would work but you always want to use sheets of acid free paper between the prints and layers(especially the printed sides of other prints). Ideally the paper that the prints are usually rolled in inside of the tubes when you get them are acid free.
    3. Use books of a good heft(yellow pages, college texts) to weigh down the corners once your poster sandwich is built.
    4. Leave it alone somewhere where it won't get messed with
    5. After a few days pull apart a layer and see where you are at, ie how much the posters want to curl up.
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options
    I went to Micheal's and the frame chick said that I don't really need to worry about them being rolled up as matting/setting the posters will flatten them.

Makes sense, but is this true?

I took mine out of the tubes and they are hanging out now...
  • Options
    Just make sure they don't plan on gluing(dry-mounting) them to the backing board....Yes the weight and tightness of everything when you frame it up should keep it flat but getting them flat does help as it can prevent wrinkles or waves from forming when the print is in the frame(if it tries to roll itself back up a bit)...It can happen if the entire package isn't put together tight enough so to speak.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    I went to Micheal's and the frame chick said that I don't really need to worry about them being rolled up as matting/setting the posters will flatten them.

It's been suggested to me that even after flattening, keeping them rolled for too long can lead to an irreversible rippling even after framing... however, I don't know if that's really true, or if it only applies to shittier quality paper, or if that is just when you don't let it flatten long enough, or what. I am just hoping it doesn't happen to me or you!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    jason_94 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

No problem.

You might be able to skip the mat & just use 2 pieces of plexi but I can't say for sure. I do believe the plexi is a lot lighter than actual glass so I do think it would be better especially if using 2 pieces. I would give the nice people at American Frame a call and see what the recommend or can do for you.

They will know a lot better than me! :lol:
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    jason_94 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

No problem.

You might be able to skip the mat & just use 2 pieces of plexi but I can't say for sure. I do believe the plexi is a lot lighter than actual glass so I do think it would be better especially if using 2 pieces. I would give the nice people at American Frame a call and see what the recommend or can do for you.

And you shouldn't have the poster directly touching the glass/plexi. Firstly, any condensation that might occur against the glass can affect the poster plus apparently, the ink can lift off the paper and stick to the glass. Best to have a spacer between, so you'll want it as flat as possible probably.
  • Options
    bazzer wrote:
    jason_94 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

No problem.

And you shouldn't have the poster directly touching the glass/plexi. Firstly, any condensation that might occur against the glass can affect the poster plus apparently, the ink can lift off the paper and stick to the glass. Best to have a spacer between, so you'll want it as flat as possible probably.

Thank you for clarifying that. I didn't think you were suppose to have the print right on the glass & that you wanted to have the mat to help create that space but I wasn't 100% sure and I am definitely no expert.

And thank you for all of your helpful tips!
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
  • Options
    You don't need a mat to create space, you can by spacers that will do the same thing.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Finally got around to hanging my PJ Wrigley / Cracker Jack poster on the wall...

SDC12402_zps974c0d5e.jpg

I'm running out of WALLSPACE!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    derbydave wrote:
    Finally got around to hanging my PJ Wrigley / Cracker Jack poster on the wall...

SDC12402_zps974c0d5e.jpg

These are all BEAUTIES!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    pulling69 wrote:
    You don't need a mat to create space, you can by spacers that will do the same thing.
    Right. :) Double paned framing without matte is not that uncommon. It's often used for items like old documents/scrolls, where the whole thing with the edges and everything needs to be seen. The two panes are contained by a solid surrounding frame - the glass doesn't actually touch (although that is also an option). However, the back of the poster does have to be right against the back pane, which I'm fine with - should not cause any issues.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    derbydave wrote:

SDC12402_zps974c0d5e.jpg

Wow - you went to town with the Cracker Jack job! Looks awesome! :)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    derbydave wrote:

SDC12402_zps974c0d5e.jpg

Wow - you went to town with the Cracker Jack job! Looks awesome! :)
    Hey Dave?
    If I may ask.
    How much did it cost for that KICK ASS Wrigley framing?

Just curious.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

It's been suggested to me that even after flattening, keeping them rolled for too long can lead to an irreversible rippling even after framing... however, I don't know if that's really true, or if it only applies to shittier quality paper, or if that is just when you don't let it flatten long enough, or what. I am just hoping it doesn't happen to me or you!

I have 6-7 posters that have been in tubes for a few years. :fp: I think it's time to flatten those out.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

I have 6-7 posters that have been in tubes for a few years. :fp: I think it's time to flatten those out.
    :fp: I know.... At least once a week I look at my poster tubes and feel stressed out about it. :lol:
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    derbydave wrote:

SDC12402_zps974c0d5e.jpg

Those look awesome, Dave! My Cracker Jack is supposed to be done this week! I can't wait! :D

We are running out of space as well. :lol:
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1