Where does Mike rank among your favorite guitarists?

2»

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Anyone who would say that really hasn't heard him. A lot of respectable guitarists won't like Phish, but they'll give it up to Trey. He's phenomenal. Saw Frusciante once but it was before I played and i remember it being pretty damn good. Mike: Best Ever? Dunno bout that...
    Frusciante is BRILLIANT!!!!!! No, Mike isn'tthe best ever, and he would admit it. He's damn good though.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    He's up there, sure...maybe in my top 5 or so. As a performing guitarist especially, he is one of the best I've seen live.
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,278
    deadnote wrote:
    mikes the best
    mike is god
    danny d
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    trey's overrated
    how is someone who gets no attention from most major media overrated?

trey is terribly UNDERrated......when rolling stone or guitar mags rate "the 100 best guitarists", trey is like 87th and jack white or whoever are in the top ten......if you've ever seen phish live you know what a joke that is

i used to go see phish at MSG.....trey would do unreal shit on guitar for 3 hours, and then after the show i would be at a magazine rack at penn station and see all these clowns posing on the covers of guitar magazines.....that was one of those things that made me realize that media coverage and talent don't always match up
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    trey's overrated

I had to edit this, cause the more I thought about it, I haven't heard too much Phish lol.

and about Frusciante, I agree also...He's good on records, because he can get as many takes as he needs...

Sorry John :(

McCready rules all!!!!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Go pick up a Phish DVD... "Live In Brooklyn" is a pretty good one with all performances. Even if you don't like Phish, just focus in on the guitar playing. He's so unpredictable. He uses a lot of notes but not too many, and I think when he takes a shit, music theory comes out. Phish covers sooooo many different songs of all genres live and Trey can nail original lead/solos in all of them. He's incredibly well-rounded and knows so much. As a bonus, his tone is one of the most recognizable ever once you've already heard it.

Edit: Compositionally, he's a genius. See "Divided Sky" and "You Enjoy Myself"
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    i think mike is up there with the best of the guitarists today that are part of a band. chilli peppers guitarist may be better in studio but live mike shits all over him. lets not forget mike always improvs, never playing the same thing twice.

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Mike best ever; period

John Frusciante is terrible live; one of the worst guitarists I have ever seen in concert; could not pull off a solo for his ass

I'm a huge fan of Frusciante, i have seen him live a few times and he rocked my socks off. He handles that White Falcon like no one else. Like it was made for him. He rules.

Mike, Frusciante, Jimmy Page, Hendrix, SRV and Marc Ford are my favorites.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    I'm a huge fan of Frusciante, i have seen him live a few times and he rocked my socks off. He handles that White Falcon like no one else. Like it was made for him. He rules.

Mike, Frusciante, Jimmy Page, Hendrix, SRV and Marc Ford are my favorites.

Ooooh, that's a big call, cos you obviously have not heard of Chris Cheney, from an Aussie band called The Living End, cos HE IS DA MAN when it comes to handling a White Falcon. Widely recognised as one of the most aacomplished guitarists in Australia.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Ooooh, that's a big call, cos you obviously have not heard of Chris Cheney, from an Aussie band called The Living End, cos HE IS DA MAN when it comes to handling a White Falcon. Widely recognised as one of the most aacomplished guitarists in Australia.

Chris Cheney is awesome, not only heard of him but been close enough to kiss his glorious feet if i wanted to on a couple of occasions when watching TLE live. He handles the Falcon pretty damn sweet too. Won't get any arguments from me there. I just happen to think Frusciante is better. Not taking anything away from Chris, he is amazing. The sound that they get as a three piece band is testament to the genuis of Cheney, no doubt about it.
  • my response to this question is pretty similar to what i've been reading throughout this thread.

there are better guitarists out there, but mike is still my all-time favorite. his playing on ten was what first convinced me to start playing guitar myself.
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    mca47 wrote:
    I think he's a top 10 living rock guitarist, but nowhere near the top alltime. In fact, of living guitarists of all genres I'd say top 50 maybe.

I love Mikey but I'm hardly ever impressed/inspired by his live work as I am many other guitarists. I LOVE jazz and blues guitar and while he flies through his blues scales he can't play with the feeling many guitarists can.
    I know he may be limited by the band he's with, but speed doesn't always do it for me.

What he said
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • CornishManCornishMan Posts: 447
    Mike is the best guitarist that most people have never heard of!!
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022, Manchester 2024.