Where does Mike rank among your favorite guitarists?

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well?
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I really like his style, but we share the same influences (SRV, Hendrix). Do I think he's top 10 ever? No. BUT I think he's up there with the best current mainstream guitarists.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I agree with the above. I'd say he may possibly be my overall "favorite" guitarist. but do I think he's in an elite group of the greatest guitarists "ever"? no, not really. though I'll say as far as the 90s "grunge" era guitarists go, he and Cantrell are better than all others. and I'd really say I think Mike is a little better with improving than Jerry Cantrell.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    I'm kind of the same way. I've been listening to a lot of the jazz/fusion greats including George Benson, Scofield, Metheney, etc. and it's nearly ruined rock guitar for me. The one thing i try to keep in mind is that rock and jazz are 2 completely diff worlds.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    My top five 'current' guitarists.

John Frusciante
    Derek Trucks <<INCREDIBLE

then

Slash
    Mike Mccready
    John Mayer

Honourable mention:
    Jack White
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I'm very interested to hear Ian's opinion on this.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Mike is right up there for me. I like how he fite the solo into teh song, teh melody is always there. He can play a short punchy solo like Daughter, a super simple one like Wishlist, or go completely off like Even Flow.
    Somwetime sthe Hendrix /SRV influence is overpowering, but mostly he makes it his own. His solos have an eleganece, and I never tire of them.

I also rate Stone very highly too, plenty of guys can play what he plays, but his riff writing is absolutely top class. I like the way Stone and Mike always blend, and never clash.
    STone is really a top five all time riffmeister !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I think he's a top 10 living rock guitarist, but nowhere near the top alltime. In fact, of living guitarists of all genres I'd say top 50 maybe.

I love Mikey but I'm hardly ever impressed/inspired by his live work as I am many other guitarists. I LOVE jazz and blues guitar and while he flies through his blues scales he can't play with the feeling many guitarists can.
    I know he may be limited by the band he's with, but speed doesn't always do it for me.
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    Definitely in my top ten. Along with the Jimmy, Jimi, Brian May, Andy Summers, Neil Young, Chris Shiflett, Kim Thayil, Pete Townshend etc
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I'm very interested to hear Ian's opinion on this.
    :):):) funny - this is a good subject - it's debatable - I like mike's playing - I think he's good at what he does.
    Does he rank in my top 10 - well, what genre are we talking??? Rock guitarist, or as an overall guitarist???
    I play a lot of styles from straight Jazz, to Rock, & Rock/Blues/Jazz Fusion.
    It's not really fair for me to answer (I've played with the man, so there's no way I would ever rip on him).

Is Mike In My Top 10 Overall Guitarist List???: NO, he's not even in my top 25.
    But as far as pure rock guitarists . . . ehhh, maybe ;)

Much of what Mike does is take melodically from his favorite guitarists (don't we all at times).
    Most of his solo's on BLACK (some of those were nice) were direct rips from SRV (mike has said that himself).
    I'd give him a thumbs for the pure angst he's able to create and Resolve/Release (his melodic content is tasty at times).
    Mike's actually decent to listen to on my way to a gig or rehearsal, especially with my current Alternative/Progressive/Rock band.
    He helps get me in the rock mode, though I was honestly listening to Tool, Alice in Chains, and the Cure on my way to rehearsal tonight ;)
    It really depends what I'm in the mood for - I go on benders of nothing but PJ, then I don't listen to them for a month.
    You gotta mix it up or you start sounding toooo plain jane.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    I also rate Stone very highly too, plenty of guys can play what he plays, but his riff writing is absolutely top class. I like the way Stone and Mike always blend, and never clash.
    STone is really a top five all time riffmeister !!

Stone is one-in-a-million. The intro/chorus riff for "In Hiding" is possibly my favorite ever.
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    funny - this is a good subject - it's debatable - I like mike's playing - I think he's good at what he does.
    Does he rank in my top 10 - well, what genre are we talking??? Rock guitarist, or as an overall guitarist???
    It's not really fair for me to answer (I've played with the man, so there's no way I would ever rip on him).

I'm not sure if you took my comment as a sarcastic one or not. It wasn't. I really was interested because I know you're into many genres as well. That's awesome that you've played with Mike. I'd pass up jamming with some of my more favorite and more technically skilled guitarists to jam with Mike.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    John Frusciante is my fav cause he has his own unique style, Mike is my 2nd fav.... probably because i heard BSSM before i heard Ten.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    :):):) funny - this is a good subject - it's debatable - I like mike's playing - I think he's good at what he does.

Is Mike In My Top 10 Overall Guitarist List???: NO, he's not even in my top 25.
    But as far as pure rock guitarists . . . ehhh, maybe ;)

Much of what Mike does is take melodically from his favorite guitarists (don't we all at times).
    Most of his solo's on BLACK (some of those were nice) were direct rips from SRV (mike has said that himself).
    I'd give him a thumbs for the pure angst he's able to create and Resolve/Release (his melodic content is tasty at times).
    Mike's actually decent to listen to on my way to a gig or rehearsal, especially with my current Alternative/Progressive/Rock band.
    He helps get me in the rock mode, though I was honestly listening to Tool, Alice in Chains, and the Cure on my way to rehearsal tonight ;)
    It really depends what I'm in the mood for - I go on benders of nothing but PJ, then I don't listen to them for a month.
    You gotta mix it up or you start sounding toooo plain jane.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

How did you get the chance to play with him?
    And what did you play when you did?
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    He might not be the "best" guitarist.....but he's my #1 favorite guitarist!
  • EvolutionaryEvolutionary Posts: 880
    I'd agree with most of the other people here in that Mike probably wouldn't be at the top of an all-time list of the greatest, but he is definitely one of my favourite.

However, if the list was for watch-a-bility/showmanship then Mike should definitely be at the top - everytime I see the band, I just keep watching Mike... he's mesmerising!
    Along the same lines, before the missus saw them live she thought Mike was a show-off. Since then she thinks he's the greatest part of the live experience!
    ...London Doesn't Call Anymore... (rip joe)

Yes, I have been to some Pearl Jam concerts. Several of them.
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    mikes the best
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Mike gets better every year.

but I can't put him ahead of SRV, Jimmy, Clapton, Slash studio, Kirk Hammet (I love wah wah solos sorry), or Jimmy Page.
  • For me, "best guitarist" isn't a category I'm very interested in. I love guitar solos - sometimes it's what makes the song for me - but I'm much more interested in the song itself. And that's why Mike's my favourite guitarist: his work always adds to the song, he never really just plays for the sake of calling attention to himself. Even on jams like Even Flow or Porch, it always seems to serve the song more than any sort of ego.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • frenchsfrenchs Posts: 34
    Mike is one of the Top 3 guitarists in my Top-1 band.

If we want to go and compare his guitar playing and the impact it has on me to other guitarists, I would say he's probably in the 15-20 range on my list.

Some people higher on *my* list:
    Chuck Berry, PT, Keith, Clapton, BB King, Brad Paisley, Knopfler, Robert Johnson, Jimi, SRV, Muddy Waters, Segovia, Hedges, Kottke, Dykes.

Some people lower on *my* list: Satriani, Van Halen, Malmsteem, Hammett,
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Mike McCready, BB King, Prince, Clapton, Frusciante, Mike Einziger, Hendrix, Jimmy Paige, Slash, Zak Wylde(I mispelled that), SRV, John Mayer, Muddy Waters...Those are amazing players right there!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    mca47 wrote:
    How did you get the chance to play with him?
    I was lucky enough to record a tune with PJ in late 1996 (though admitedly I've never heard the tune on anything).
    I spent two different days with them, though for only an hour each day.
    Ed was having some vocal trouble the 1st day, so they had to come back the next day.
    The song might be on a B-side or something, but more than likely it was just never used.
    I like to call that time period my "studio troll" days (because I basically lived in the studios) - like that was soo long ago.
    mca47 wrote:
    And what did you play when you did?
    I played guitar :)

Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    i think he's good, but whenever i see TREY ANASTASIO rip a solo i realize mike is not really that great

but mike is more inspiring to me as a player, because the way he plays seems attainable.......trey is intimidating, the more i got into playing guitar the more i got turned off to trey, because his skills are just not of this earth

also NEIL YOUNG is the best at "sloppy/dirty/noise" solos.......whenever mike does his standard blues licks in a neil young song it sounds pretty lame

having said that, these are my top three favorite guitarists......wait, stone gossard makes it a top four
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I was lucky enough to record a tune with PJ in late 1996 (though admitedly I've never heard the tune on anything).
    I spent two different days with them, though for only an hour each day.
    Ed was having some vocal trouble the 1st day, so they had to come back the next day.
    The song might be on a B-side or something, but more than likely it was just never used.
    I like to call that time period my "studio troll" days (because I basically lived in the studios) - like that was soo long ago.

I didn't think PJ ever used studio guitarists... forgive me for being skeptical, but y'know. Put yourself in our shoes. :)
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    Mike gets better every year.

but I can't put him ahead of SRV, Jimmy, Clapton, Slash studio, Kirk Hammet (I love wah wah solos sorry), or Jimmy Page.

Don't apologise for loving Kirk.

He has an amazing record of awesome solo work, and not just silly speed pentatonic work.
    He is a lot more than a wah pedal.
    I am an unashamed Hammett fan, my fastest guitar, a KH-2.
    Music is not a competetion.
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    i think he's good, but whenever i see TREY ANASTASIO rip a solo i realize mike is not really that great

I'm also a huge Trey fan, but have learned not to even bother trying to understand his playing. I can't really look at him as an influence anymore because he's so unpredictable and his skills are so varied. Someone could come up and say "Play me something SRV style or Dickey Betts style" and I could give somewhat of an imitation. With Trey, it's like it's impossible to pull your own "Trey Solo" cuz u have no clue what the hell he'd do.
    DOSW wrote:
    I didn't think PJ ever used studio guitarists... forgive me for being skeptical, but y'know. Put yourself in our shoes. :)
    As far as I know PJ don't usually use studmuse's, though I happened to be in the studio that day, and . . . lucky me.
    I've already been over this a lot with others on here, so ask them, I'm kinda tired of explaining what I do for a living.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    As far as I know PJ don't usually use studmuse's, though I happened to be in the studio that day, and . . . lucky me.
    I've already been over this a lot with others on here, so ask them, I'm kinda tired of explaining what I do for a living.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian

No harm meant man.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • svanzonsvanzon Posts: 28
    Mike is great, I love Mike. And his interaction with the rest of the band (read: Stone's rhythm playing) is amazing. And I agree with everyone else on here that he's not one of the all time greats in of himself, but there's no need for that as pearl jam IS one of the greatest bands ever.

Then again, a more interesting question is: Who is better at what they do, Mike (lead) or Stone (rhythm)?

I'd give it a close call, but maybe Stone has a little bit of an upper hand right there.. It's hard because I love Mike blues-y playing.. The best type of soloing there is for me (I don't care much for the ripping off of his influences xD whatever, the solo's are great, who cares if he's not the first to do it?)

And wow, Ian, playing with PJ in the studio. I think I would not be able to stay away from my guitars after that (24/7)!
    13/06/2007 - Katowice, Poland

... may there be many more to come
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    chris01 wrote:
    John Frusciante is my fav cause he has his own unique style, Mike is my 2nd fav.... probably because i heard BSSM before i heard Ten.
    Mike best ever; period

John Frusciante is terrible live; one of the worst guitarists I have ever seen in concert; could not pull off a solo for his ass
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    StuffnJunk wrote:

but mike is more inspiring to me as a player, because the way he plays seems attainable.......trey is intimidating, the more i got into playing guitar the more i got turned off to trey, because his skills are just not of this earth

also NEIL YOUNG is the best at "sloppy/dirty/noise" solos.......whenever mike does his standard blues licks in a neil young song it sounds pretty lame

having said that, these are my top three favorite guitarists......wait, stone gossard makes it a top four
    trey's overrated
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
    trey's overrated

Anyone who would say that really hasn't heard him. A lot of respectable guitarists won't like Phish, but they'll give it up to Trey. He's phenomenal. Saw Frusciante once but it was before I played and i remember it being pretty damn good. Mike: Best Ever? Dunno bout that...