Options

What's the angriest Ed has ever been onstage?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited August 2008 in The Porch
The quarter rant comes to mind,

Anyone else?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Uncle NeilUncle Neil Posts: 176
    The "no war" rant on the Showbox dvd definitely comes to mind.
  • Options
    kingmattkingmatt Posts: 121
    "shoes, shoes for my friends"... was that Soldier Field?
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    2003 show on the east didn't he slam the mic down and say goodnight. It was cause of the fans up front who were pist off about his war comments. Something like that I remember hearing.
  • Options
    SinSevenSinSeven Posts: 9

Anyone else?

I was there.. it was like wtf is going on... still love listening to that show all the time.
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    kingmatt wrote:
    "shoes, shoes for my friends"... was that Soldier Field?

I think that was Indio, CA (where they have Coachella).
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Definately the Showbox "War" tag on Daughter. Eddie was so mad, the band even looked scared.
  • Options
    Probably not THE most pissed he has been, but he was real pissed twice at Mansfield I this year

Once b/c his 2nd bottle of wine didn't get put by his monitor (he ended up throwing the empty first bottle against the backdrop) and the 2nd time b/c his techs didn't clear his monitor (something, Mike's jacket, I think was covering it)...

Eddie ended up doing it himself and then shooing the tech away when he finally came out to do it...
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Uniondale 2003

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    2003 show on the east didn't he slam the mic down and say goodnight. It was cause of the fans up front who were pist off about his war comments. Something like that I remember hearing.
    It was right after a Bushleaguer performance. He got booed BIG TIME!! You can hear people screaming "Shut the fuck up and play some goddamn songs" on the boot. It sounded like the majority of the crowd was booing loud. I think they finished with Know Your Rights and RITFW which ended with him slamming the mic.
  • Options
    Left PorchLeft Porch Posts: 837

Yeah uniondale 2003 after bushleaguer, I was there he was real pissed and apparently cut out three songs and ended the show early. I'm pretty sure it was the first show they did in New York post 9/11, patriotism was at an all time high, people weren't havin it.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Definately the Showbox "War" tag on Daughter. Eddie was so mad, the band even looked scared.

Seconded.

I remember the first time I saw that, I was like "WTF?! :eek:" cuz it seemed like such a positive and laid back show til then... amazing none the less. It made me realise that these guys really are passionate for what they believe in. Awesome.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    Uncle Neil wrote:
    wow i had the same exact thoughts
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742

Anyone else?
    At least that one ends on a decent note ;)

THe shoes one doesnt, the uniondale one doesnt... I dont know if the Mansfield one did or not since the show was cut short by the idiot townspeople...
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Seconded.

I remember the first time I saw that, I was like "WTF?! :eek:" cuz it seemed like such a positive and laid back show til then... amazing none the less. It made me realise that these guys really are passionate for what they believe in. Awesome.

yeah, it still gives me chills when i see it though! good stuff.

he got pretty pissed off at the Singles premier party back in the day!
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    googoo Posts: 226
    Probably not THE most pissed he has been, but he was real pissed twice at Mansfield I this year

Once b/c his 2nd bottle of wine didn't get put by his monitor (he ended up throwing the empty first bottle against the backdrop) and the 2nd time b/c his techs didn't clear his monitor (something, Mike's jacket, I think was covering it)...

Eddie ended up doing it himself and then shooing the tech away when he finally came out to do it...

you're saying he threw a fit because he didn't get a SECOND bottle of wine? what an alcoholic baby. "rock stars" gotta realize that they're not too good to do a few little things by themselves sometimes.
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    goo wrote:
    you're saying he threw a fit because he didn't get a SECOND bottle of wine? what an alcoholic baby. "rock stars" gotta realize that they're not too good to do a few little things by themselves sometimes.

ive been told by people that were front row, that is not how it went down.

he got pissed cause his cooling system was fucking up, and everytime he tried to get the attention of the crew to do something about it, they were looking away doing something else.

idk for sure, but thats what lots of people have said.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    SpeakersSpeakers Posts: 252
    Indio gets my vote. Telling people that he and Jeff are going to meet all shoeless people and kick their asses? "Fuck me in the brain"? Asking people to spit luggies on him? Whether or not he was "The angriest" or not, his actions were the most obvious throughout the last half of the show and he was the most vocal about it out of any of them
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    the wolf wrote:

he got pissed cause his cooling system was fucking up, and everytime he tried to get the attention of the crew to do something about it, they were looking away doing something else.

thats what i heard too, and a lot of people on this board were saying that was the problem too the night after it happened
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    the War tag at the showbox was the first thing I thought of and I only read the first three words of the thread title.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    manhattanmanhattan Posts: 258
    At Randals Island when he had to keep stopping the show because people were getting crushed in the pit. He was yelling about how we must have come from the nearby mental hospital...
  • Options
    Here's a little-known one: Toronto 2005 during Habit. He kept pointing at the tech to pump the volume up and it wasn't going. Finally he walked over there, yelled something and got back to singing the song. You can definitely hear the interruption on the bootleg! Pretty Angry! I like it!
    Dallas '98, Houston '03, Dallas '03, Kisseemee '04, Missoula '05, Toronto '05, Atlantic City #2 '05, Albany '06, Hartford '06, Chicago #1 and #2 '06, Cleveland '06, Detroit '06, Boston #1 '06, Washington DC '08
  • Options
    Tnerb248Tnerb248 Posts: 49
    how about that boston show where he smashed a hole in the stage with the mic stand and left.

i was at the uniondale show. Long Island is pretty conservative for the most part. Up until that point though, I think it's the one of the best shows they've ever played. It's a gem.

-brent
    www.brentplaysdrums.com
  • Options
    StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    also camden 2006, forget if it was night 1 or 2, during RVM he slammed down his guitar and walked off stage before the song was even over!!!

heard it had something to do with a photograher snapping pictures in his face

i was at uniondale 2003, but even there he didn't storm off in the middle of a song!!!

uniondale- i wouldn't say he was mad, more like he was getting really sarcastic because the crowd was so overwhelmingly against his Bush rant, he started lecturing about how dumb we are (without actually calling us dumb)
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    velogatorvelogator Posts: 174
    Uncle Neil wrote:

Hmm, I better go watch that again as I didn't think he was mad, just trying to get a point across - forcefully. I do remember him apologizing to some of his military friends a couple of songs later.
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    I dont know if it looked more passionate because I was in attendance but he was pretty fucking pissed off when he sang the No War tag at the Showbox on 2002.

That would be it in my opinion.

He looked pretty pissed at Uniondale 2003 (one of the shows they got booed at) he threw the mic against the floor and rumor has it that the show was cut short as there were more songs on the setlist, I've seen the video for that show and he looked pretty pissed when he exited the stage.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    I dont know if it looked more emphatic because I was in attendance but he was pretty fucking pissed of when he sang the No War tag at the Showbox on 2002.

That would be it in my opinion.

He looked pretty pissed at Uniondale 2003 (one of the shows they got booed at) he threw the mic against the floor and rumor has it that the show was cut short as there were more songs on the setlist, I've seen the video for that show and he looked pretty pissed when he exited the stage.

He was very angry at Uniondale...
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    the wolf wrote:

I was there, 2nd row, just to the right of him and that's what it seemed like to me, that it was to do with the fan and cooling vent; nothing to do with wine that I saw. It was pretty warm, and those hot lights on them surely don't help.

Showbox is what came to mind for me too.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    velogatorvelogator Posts: 174
    manhattan wrote:
    At Randals Island when he had to keep stopping the show because people were getting crushed in the pit. He was yelling about how we must have come from the nearby mental hospital...

I think this has to be in the running...I just listened to that show and he stopped like 4 times, finally started throwing out the F-bombs, he was not happy.
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    He should have known better then to try and pull that lib crap in the middle of Nassau County with all the repubs!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.