Essential Pedals?

chris01chris01 Posts: 559
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok ive just bought my first tube amp (peavey classic 30, its great) and now i want some effects, ive only ever owned a couplpe of multi effects boards.

I play Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Chili's/John Frusciante..... things of that nature. Also i have an Epi les paul and will soon be purchasing a Mex Tele.

Any advice?

My first port of call i believe is the TS9 Tubescreamer.... as everyone seems to love that particular pedal.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Just don't get a chorus pedal! Sorry Boys!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    BOSS DS-1, Wah, and sorry-ya gotta get a chorus
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • How satisfied are you with the amps drive channel? I have a Delta Blues (same circuitry as your Classic 30) and while I could get by with the drive channel, I prefer my current dirty chain of a Zvex Box of Rock and Shannon Overdrive (TS9 clone, sort of). I use the Shannon for low-mid range dirt and the Box of Rock for higher gain. For all out insanity, push the Box of Rock with the Shannon...it's insane :)
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Yeah im in the same boat as you, the drive is ok but id prefer some pedals..... hence this thread.
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    a compression/sustainer is a must for me b/c i like to finger pick with my middle and ring fingers while playing with a pick. so you need that pedal to even out the volume differences. dist/od is a must for just about everyone i think. all others are optional to me, but i like delay and wah.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
    ledhed43 wrote:
    a compression/sustainer is a must for me b/c i like to finger pick with my middle and ring fingers while playing with a pick. so you need that pedal to even out the volume differences.

Ok thanks, any particular ones i should look out for?.... or more importantly, ones to avoid, lol.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I like my MXR Dynacomp.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Depends if I'm playing electric or semi-acoustic. With semi-acoustic, I'll use an old Yahama digital delay pedal, and a Vox wah. I used to use an old Watkins Copicat, but it's shagged now.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Fuzz, like a BIg Muff etc comes in handy for lots of styles, inc JAck White, Frusc, Hendrix etc etc. I don't have one yet, cos I have amp OD coming out my ears and I just love that stuff, but it is definetly next on my list.
    Without having vast experience, I do find pedals much more one-dimensional than the tube OD in my amps.
    I tried a Big Muff the other day, and I liked it, but it is always gonna sound the same while I play, ie not a lot of dynamic response.

Recently got teh H&K Rotosphere, it just does the one thing, but it does it extremely well. Very nice for clean lines played slowly, haven't really found it adds to dirty sounds.
    "Black" is the perfect song for it, and YLB sounds cool on teh slow setting.

Wahs are great, the best fun really, delays are good fun too.
    Music is not a competetion.

• Recently got teh H&K Rotosphere, it just does the one thing, but it does it extremely well. Very nice for clean lines played slowly, haven't really found it adds to dirty sounds.
    "Black" is the perfect song for it, and YLB sounds cool on teh slow setting.

Mk I or II?
    Mk I or II?

Tits brand new, so probably mark 2.

I have the Triamp, and the Replex, so I had to have the sauce bottle to round out the set, plus I love to play Black.

It's a very subtle effect, adn repsponds best to gentle guitar work.
    Do you have one ??
  • Tits brand new, so probably mark 2.

I have the Triamp, and the Replex, so I had to have the sauce bottle to round out the set, plus I love to play Black.

Do you have one ??

Like the Freudian slip on the first word of that quote. :D

No, but I've tried it out a few times. I prefer the old Dunlop Rotovibe. Nothing fancy, but it has a chorus/vibrato switch, and is pretty versatile, when you get the hang of it.
    Like the Freudian slip on the first word of that quote. :D

No, but I've tried it out a few times. I prefer the old Dunlop Rotovibe. Nothing fancy, but it has a chorus/vibrato switch, and is pretty versatile, when you get the hang of it.

NO slip, just a favourite saying of mine. LOL !!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Tits brand new, so probably mark 2.

Do you have one ??

how do you like the replex? I never have had a chance to play with one for any length of time. It's a tape style delay without the tape right? I imagine it's a good match with the Gretsch?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Im lost now as to what i should actually get and what you all prefer, lol.

I think for starters ill go for the big muff (heard them before and love the sound) and a compression pedal.
  • if you've got to get a delay///........the boss DD6, best £70 i ever spent (and that was a bargain!):)

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • pnjguypnjguy Posts: 28
    Congrats on your tube amp, they're essential. I would steer clear from a chorus pedal, unless your in to cock rock. Instead i would get a vibe pedal (Univibe, Mojo Vibe) This will give you the option of chorus and vibrato while giving you many options that deal with speed and intensity. Very versital, and your sound will more sound like Hendrix, Pink Floyd, than Bon Jovi.

The Big Muff is great, i love the sound, however, not very versital, if you like that sound go for it, but there isnt much you can do with it besides using is for your bass too. Its more of a distortion/Fuzz rather than straight Fuzz pedal.

A delay pedal is essential. DD-6 is the way to go. Reverse function is great, you can get about a thousand different sounds on it. Literally.
    pnjguy wrote:
    Congrats on your tube amp, they're essential. I would steer clear from a chorus pedal, unless your in to cock rock. Instead i would get a vibe pedal (Univibe, Mojo Vibe) This will give you the option of chorus and vibrato while giving you many options that deal with speed and intensity. Very versital, and your sound will more sound like Hendrix, Pink Floyd, than Bon Jovi.

The Big Muff is great, i love the sound, however, not very versital, if you like that sound go for it, but there isnt much you can do with it besides using is for your bass too. Its more of a distortion/Fuzz rather than straight Fuzz pedal.

A delay pedal is essential. DD-6 is the way to go. Reverse function is great, you can get about a thousand different sounds on it. Literally.

Thanks man. Would getting the Boss DS-1 be a good idea before getting the Big muff then?... or just get both, lol.
  • pnjguypnjguy Posts: 28
    If you have the money get both, but you're likely not going to play them simultaneously. Essentially, they are both distortion pedals, in fact, the Big Muff sound is so severe, that you probably wouldn't even hear the Boss DS-1 if you played them together. That being said, the Big Muff has its own sound. Jack White, Frusciante, Mogwai, Dandy Warhols, Parliment Funkadelic, have all adopted this pedal as "their" sound. If you like it, get it first.

Boss D-1 is the classic distortion, i won't say its generic but i personally can't tell the difference between a boss D-1 from another distortion on the radio . But i can tell the difference between a Big Muff or some modification of it than another distortion pedal on the radio. But with the Boss D-1 you can add stuff to it to make the sound different, you really can't do that with the Muff because like i said, the Muff is too intense of a sound.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    how do you like the replex? I never have had a chance to play with one for any length of time. It's a tape style delay without the tape right? I imagine it's a good match with the Gretsch?

Yeah, I have it set on maximum "vintage factor". The dual head thing with two different speeds is very cool, lets you do some really good stuff. Ther eis a bitu on a song on RHCP SA that uses it by the soind. I am not that much of an effect head, it's just there, and I can step on it if I need it, but TBH, I don't use effects that much.

I do use it on Black, oh yeah !!

Violet (Gretsch) loves everything, so she is not the best judge of character. Seriously, that git just gets along wiht everything else in the room. The only thing she lacks is sustain, but that's hollowbodies .
  • all the old danelectro stomp boxes
    Ive seen what the Boss DD6 can do (on youtube) and fallen in love with it, lol.
    Ive changed my mind on the bif muff (for now) and im gonna get the Boss DS-1 first, along with the DD-6 and Mojo Vibe.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Pedals are like pringles... once you pop, you don't stop. I just spent $200 i barely had on a phase shifter and distortion and now I'm about to spend another $100 I REALLY don't have on a wah. I'd be better off with a gambling problem.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    chris01 wrote:
    Ok thanks, any particular ones i should look out for?.... or more importantly, ones to avoid, lol.

the boss compression/sustainer is the only one i have tried, but it worked for me. there might be better ones out there, i just dont know.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
    The BOSS DD6 is good but it's pricey. The Digitech X-series delay is a bang for the buck. Another bang for the buck is the Rotovibe-you can control the speed easily with a foot pedal and you get chorus and vibrato.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    The BOSS DD6 is good but it's pricey. The Digitech X-series delay is a bang for the buck. Another bang for the buck is the Rotovibe-you can control the speed easily with a foot pedal and you get chorus and vibrato.
    I LOVE my Rotovibe.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V

Yeah i know its pretty pricey, but too late to go back now that i've heard it, lol. Just have to see if i can find a good deal somewhere. :D
    eBay or pawn shops :)
    eBay or pawn shops :)

No pawn shops around where i live, and they probably wouldnt have any of the pedals i was looking for anyway, lol.
    I tried ebay and they were pretty much the same price as a website that had them so i just got them from another website. DD-6 and DS-1 winging there way to me right now.
    :)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    what about essential rack gear.

one could make an argument for rack delays and or reverbs that are midi switchable.

Rack tuners etc.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.