easy pj songs?

dylan raindylan rain Posts: 35
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I had my first guitar lesson this week and my instructor was really nice about letting me pick what I wanted to play. He told me to bring my ipod with my favorite "easy" songs...

Anyone want to suggest the "easiest" pearl jam songs to play?

thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    wishlist, life wasted
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Long Road
    Not For You
    Small Town
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Lukin. It's three power chords, and that's it.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • release ...its the only one i can play and i suck haha
    dream like your living forever
    live like your dying today
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Life wasted? Lol.

I think my first PJ song was Not For You. I know Wishlist came pretty early too.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • long road is very easy - it's all in how you play it

there's a really nice n' easy way to play indifference too - just back and forth from Em to D for the verses and then G D Em for the chorus. This is how Ben HArper plays it and it sound s great. As you get better, you can throw in little embellishments here and there to sweeten it up
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • I will give you a huge list because majority of PJ songs I find easy, but here are my "beginner" songs

Black (chords)
    Rearview Mirror (first PJ song I ever learned)
    Small Town (chords)
    Not For You
    Immortality
    Nothingman (chords)
    Corduroy
    Sometimes
    Off He Goes
    Lukin
    Long Road
    Wishlist
    MFC
    World Wide Suicide
    Comatose
    Big Wave
    Last Kiss (chords)
    Leaving Here
    Don't Gimmie No Lip
    Wash
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • like the guy above (sorry dude - forgot your name...), i'll give you a list. if this is your first lesson AND the first time picking up a guitar, i'll put them in an order of difficulty level. first on the list - easiest. last hardest. or at least i'll try doing that... all are "easy".

Black
    Immortality
    Not For You
    Small Town
    Nothingman
    Indifference (just the chords, not the arpegios)
    Last Kiss
    - and once you really get the capo thing going...
    Wash
    Footsteps
    SOLAT (even the solo is alright)
    Breath
    Lukin'
    No Way
    WWS
    Big Wave

o.k. I'm done
    sign THE petition!!!
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/pearljam_to_israel/index.html

10/03/05 philadelphia
    05/09/06 toronto
    05/10/06 toronto
    06/01/06 e. rutherford
    06/03/06 e. rutherford
    09/30/06 athens
    06/12/07 munich
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    Life wasted? Lol.

I think my first PJ song was Not For You. I know Wishlist came pretty early too.
    life wasted is really easy, u just dont use the tab from wiventowail, its wrong(and makes it more complicated)
  • seanw1010 wrote:
    life wasted is really easy, u just dont use the tab from wiventowail, its wrong(and makes it more complicated)

its not that its wrong its just that theres many different ways to play it

I dont play it with a capo I play the main riff like this

Life Wasted is easy but for someone just starting out, it's really not

e
    b---7--66
    g---6--66---9
    d---4--44---9--99
    a
    7--99
    e
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • ranked in order of easiness:

1.Not for you
    2.Long road
    3.wishlist
    4.elderly woman
    5.down
    6.wishlist
    7.betterman (especially chorus)
    8.immortality
    9.bushleaguer
    10.corduroy
    its not that its wrong its just that theres many different ways to play it

I dont play it with a capo I play the main riff like this

Life Wasted is easy but for someone just starting out, it's really not

e
    b---7--66
    g---6--66---9
    d---4--44---9--99
    a
    7--99
    e
    ttry it this way, i feel it sounds closest
    e
    b
    g--11
    d--11----11
    9----9
    a--9
    7----9
    e
    just do the actual timing:)
  • seanw1010 wrote:
    ttry it this way, i feel it sounds closest
    e
    b
    g--11
    d--11----11
    9----9
    a--9
    7----9
    e
    just do the actual timing:)

that's how it is on given to wail...the way I play it is based on not playing with a capo, if you play it with a capo you put it on the 4th fret and play it exactly my way, but I just don't feel like putting a capo on it when I'm in the middle of playing
    that's how it is on given to wail...the way I play it is based on not playing with a capo, if you play it with a capo you put it on the 4th fret and play it exactly my way, but I just don't feel like putting a capo on it when I'm in the middle of playing
    same here
  • Hey, If you are just learning to play, then you really don't want to bite off too much. Right handed guitarists fret with their left hand and strum with their right, because it's the strumming hand that makes the music, not the fretting hand. The fretting hand actually has teh easy job, which is why you use your dumb hand, not your smart one. It's not music until you get the interval between notes right, so start with Wishlist, because it is dead simple, with almost no fretting change, but teaches you a nice regular interval DUM dum dum dum DUM dum dum dum DUM dum dum dum DUM dum dum dum change DUM dum dum DUM DUM dum DUM DUM DUM change DUM dum dum dum , or something like that with an accent on the upper case dums.
    Another great song to start with is Nothing Else MAtters of course, because there is no fretting at all, just finger picking, which proves the point about where the music comes from.
    Apart from that, I would suggest sticking with open chords for a bit, because they teach your hands good. You did not say if you are on electric or acoustic, cause that makes a difference as well. The hardest chords to get are B and F, so you can cheat a little with power chords there until your hand gets better.
    Cheers
    Music is not a competetion.
  • "Untitled" it's easy.
    Hey I, ooooooohhh, I'm still ALIIIIIVEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • GRIMMYGRIMMY Posts: 370
    To easy "BUGS"

"ILL STOP NOW,ILL BECOME NAKED,ILL BECOME THE ONE"

"fuck me in my brain"
    grimmy
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    try Throw Your Arms Around Me...

very easy, although not Pearl Jam

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Hey, If you are just learning to play, then you really don't want to bite off too much. Right handed guitarists fret with their left hand and strum with their right, because it's the strumming hand that makes the music, not the fretting hand. The fretting hand actually has teh easy job, which is why you use your dumb hand, not your smart one. It's not music until you get the interval between notes right, so start with Wishlist, because it is dead simple, with almost no fretting change, but teaches you a nice regular interval DUM dum dum dum DUM dum dum dum DUM dum dum dum DUM dum dum dum change DUM dum dum DUM DUM dum DUM DUM DUM change DUM dum dum dum , or something like that with an accent on the upper case dums.
    Another great song to start with is Nothing Else MAtters of course, because there is no fretting at all, just finger picking, which proves the point about where the music comes from.
    Apart from that, I would suggest sticking with open chords for a bit, because they teach your hands good. You did not say if you are on electric or acoustic, cause that makes a difference as well. The hardest chords to get are B and F, so you can cheat a little with power chords there until your hand gets better.
    Cheers

thanks for the advice.

oh, he's letting me learn on my telecaster
  • Am I the only one who started with Alive? The main riff is incredible and still
    gives me goose skin after all these years. The riffs contains almost everything a guitar player likes doing: a chord, slides, arpegg., bending, vibrato.

So begin with Alive to get that feeling of never stop learning to play pj songs.
  • NO drama, learning on a tele means you should do some palm muting as well, also learn your 2 note ( G5, A5, C5 etc) power chords on the E and A string, that gives you all teh major chords quickly ( though don't skimp on learning them properly), as well as teaching you teh notes on those 2 strings, which also gives you teh notes on the top E string. You can then quickly work out what note you are on on the D and G string, when you learn what an octave pattern looks like. I have just done this after playing for well over 20yrs, which is quite tragic, as it is very simple.
    The dude who said that Alive contains all those different technical elements, as well as being an amazing riff is dead right too, but it does have a lot of hand movement in it, which takes a littel while to master.
    Remember, always tune your guitar perfectly every time you play !!
    Happy Playing
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    lifewasted on givetowail is 100% accurate trust me. you can see how mike plays hte main riff and how stone uses that capo on all but the top E string in an interview with them i have it on dvd

as for easy songs mate, some of the ones they listed above arent easy at all for someone who is a full beginner like you

put these songs on your ipod
    -elderly woman
    -long road
    -last kiss
    -release
    -not for you
    -corduroy
    -wishlist

that should be plenty to get you started, and shouldnt be too hard

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Am I the only one who started with Alive? The main riff is incredible and still
    gives me goose skin after all these years. The riffs contains almost everything a guitar player likes doing: a chord, slides, arpegg., bending, vibrato.

So begin with Alive to get that feeling of never stop learning to play pj songs.

that's funny i showed my instructor the guitar legends mag, that had alive, animal, black, not for you, and yellow ledbetter.

he said animal was too hard, so he stuck me with the task of learning yellow ledbetter! let me tell you guys, bending is really really hard. first of all he made me chop off all my nails (I'm a girl so this was a little sad for me) and now my fingers are purple.

Do any of you guys have any tips for nailing the art of bending? I'm sure it's just practice, practice, practice, but maybe I'm missing something that would make my life easier.
  • dylan rain wrote:
    that's funny i showed my instructor the guitar legends mag, that had alive, animal, black, not for you, and yellow ledbetter.

he said animal was too hard, so he stuck me with the task of learning yellow ledbetter! let me tell you guys, bending is really really hard. first of all he made me chop off all my nails (I'm a girl so this was a little sad for me) and now my fingers are purple.

Do any of you guys have any tips for nailing the art of bending? I'm sure it's just practice, practice, practice, but maybe I'm missing something that would make my life easier.

Bending is an advanced technique and not really for beginners. Yes, you do have to cut teh nails on your fretting hand, whihc is a big reason why girls don't play as much as guys.
    You must have a different tab to YLB to me, cause mine sure ain't got much bending, also YLB is one of the most difficult PJ songs to play properly, certainly not an easy beginners song.
    If you must bend, start around that 7th to 9th position, don't go near the nut. You really need to build some fingere strength and decent calluses before considering bending.
    Good luck !
  • Bending is an advanced technique and not really for beginners. Yes, you do have to cut teh nails on your fretting hand, whihc is a big reason why girls don't play as much as guys.
    You must have a different tab to YLB to me, cause mine sure ain't got much bending, also YLB is one of the most difficult PJ songs to play properly, certainly not an easy beginners song.
    If you must bend, start around that 7th to 9th position, don't go near the nut. You really need to build some fingere strength and decent calluses before considering bending.
    Good luck !

i should have mentioned that i wasn't learning the lead guitar part. he basically wanted me to learn the basic F chord (barring with the index finger), apparently guitar 2 on that song is really only 3 chords, B A E.

he does however, want me to learn the solo (well atleast part of it) which is where the bending comes in. according to my instructor "this guitarist is heavily influenced by hendrix"... i thought no kidding, he plays the star spangled banner right after yellow ledbetter all the time now.
  • dylan rain wrote:
    i should have mentioned that i wasn't learning the lead guitar part. he basically wanted me to learn the basic F chord (barring with the index finger), apparently guitar 2 on that song is really only 3 chords, B A E.

he does however, want me to learn the solo (well atleast part of it) which is where the bending comes in. according to my instructor "this guitarist is heavily influenced by hendrix"... i thought no kidding, he plays the star spangled banner right after yellow ledbetter all the time now.

Oh dear, I had a feeling you were going to say that, as the solo is only place where bent notes come in. Well he's your teacher, but learning guitar by learning the YLB solo is like learning to snowboard on a black mogul run, possibly not impossible, but ceratinly not ideal.
    You may have noted some of my discussion on GTW where I lament the lack of timing notation in the tabs there. How the fuck, I say, HOW the fuck are you supposed to learn this solo without knowing how long to play each note for ?? Learning the basic chords is probably OK, though as I said F and B are teh hardest, because you need to barre close to the nut for both, and again, this is a technique which takes a lot of practice and most guitarists would be playing for a year or so before they could barre a full F comfortably and easily. NOthing succeeds like success, so starting with something you can play more easily is more likely to encourage you. I would suggest something basic to just learn how to drive your fingers. The chorus to 'Betterman" is great, D A G , and singing along helps you place the changes. If you leran a 4 fingered G, with your ring finger on teh d ( 3rd fret, second string), then it doesn't move as you change from G to D.
    Mike is more heavily influenced by SRV than Hendrix, though some would argue there is little difference.
    YLB is very similar in musical structure to "Little Wing", a song Hendrix wrote in memory of his mother, and an amazing version of which SRV won a Grammy for , found on "The Sky is Crying" ( actually I have ordered the tab book of this album just for that song, should arrive any day).
    Little Wing is a beautiful song to play, but a bit of a fingerful for a beginner.
    YLB is certainly a beautiful nod to SRV/Hendrix and one of my favourite PJ songs, along with Black. I particularly love it at the end of "Live at the Garden", where Mike accompanies himself to the delay with the lights on and everyone just sitting around slack-jawed, just amazing !!!
    Anyway, happy practising, I'm still at it after 26yrs, I'm trying to learn the YLB solo too.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    How the fuck, I say, HOW the fuck are you supposed to learn this solo without knowing how long to play each note for ??

for me, if i know the song well enough ... ie. all of PJ songs :) then surely you can do this just by ear!

i see your point if its a less familiar song though... but the ear is a good tool when learning solos as the timing of each note is on the record.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • for me, if i know the song well enough ... ie. all of PJ songs :) then surely you can do this just by ear!

i see your point if its a less familiar song though... but the ear is a good tool when learning solos as the timing of each note is on the record.

Man this chick is just having her first lesson, and she's trying to play the YLB solo. It is a lot harder to accurately place notes in a solo than it seems. It is easy to get close, but the discipline of getting it exactly right is what makes a great player. Every great player has done the hard yards of learning to play classic pieces precisely, not "kinda", no matter what the instrument.
    I am really confused that so many people on this forum think that learning to play accurately by following written music is so uncool. I like to root around and have fun too, but a dose of organised disciplined practise boosts my playing hugely. My playing was held back for years by a lack of "as recorded" written music.
    Actually, if she got the tab from a magazine, it probably has the timing notation, but I still think it is a dubious place to start learning. I would hate to see her get put off by too steep a hill.
  • Man this chick is just having her first lesson, and she's trying to play the YLB solo. It is a lot harder to accurately place notes in a solo than it seems. It is easy to get close, but the discipline of getting it exactly right is what makes a great player. Every great player has done the hard yards of learning to play classic pieces precisely, not "kinda", no matter what the instrument.
    I am really confused that so many people on this forum think that learning to play accurately by following written music is so uncool. I like to root around and have fun too, but a dose of organised disciplined practise boosts my playing hugely. My playing was held back for years by a lack of "as recorded" written music.
    Actually, if she got the tab from a magazine, it probably has the timing notation, but I still think it is a dubious place to start learning. I would hate to see her get put off by too steep a hill.

well that was my second lesson, haha. on the first one he made me practice the smells like teen spirit riffs, basically 3 power chords. and another song from nickelback (which i hate them of course) photograph, again 3 chords. i think his reasoning is that he wants me to play music i like instead of it being a drag to practice, although i'm not so sure that an assignment of bending up and down the neck is too much fun either...

that magazine does have the timing on it, i would get it if you don't have it already.
  • dylan rain wrote:
    well that was my second lesson, haha. on the first one he made me practice the smells like teen spirit riffs, basically 3 power chords. and another song from nickelback (which i hate them of course) photograph, again 3 chords. i think his reasoning is that he wants me to play music i like instead of it being a drag to practice, although i'm not so sure that an assignment of bending up and down the neck is too much fun either...

that magazine does have the timing on it, i would get it if you don't have it already.

Yeah music you can relate to is improtant if it's gonna be fun.. Whem I teach friends I always try to include 3 elements in each lesson

1 a piece of music theory
    2 an exercise
    3 a piece of music, so when a friend says, what did you learn, you can play a piece of music

Cheers, keep on playing, I picked up a mag teh other day with YLB, it's on my list of things to do, maybe this weekend.