Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue?

2»

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I agree, play both - I play the 4x10, but you may like the 2x12 (I warn you, they are LOUD amps).
    Again, yup - an attenuator will generally break your components down faster (tubes, trannys, caps, fuses).
    If you're not playing with a band maybe think about a Deluxe since it's less wattage, but will still EASILY
    work with a band (again, these are loud amps). Then if you want more air movement either Head It and
    use a cab with more speakers, or just run an external cab with the amp. I've thought many times about
    heading my DeVille and just running an external cab (the combo's quite heavy).

- Ian
    How difficult is it to 'head' an amp?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Thanks, I can hardly wait. Another question for you. The last amp I bought was a used 59' Bassman (I mainly play harp through it). I have not bought a new amp for close to 20 yrs now. My question is, should I feel comfortable buying the amp right off the showroom floor (they {Long and Mcquade} only have one of each in stock) or should I have them order one for me?

q

It depends really on store traffic. I've done both. Most Pro Stores I just buy off the floor, I know they don't keep inventory due to space issues and they take care of thier stuff generally. The negative is people may have touched it or played it and or left it on for days etc.... but most of the time they are perfectly fine and they still should have the 5 year warranty. Just go over it thoroughly if you get the floor model and let them know you prefer one packaged. You might get them to knock a few bucks off for a floor model. You should be able to tell the general things that could go wrong, dust, burnt out pilot lights, loose tubes, dinged speakers etc early on in the process.

59 bassman for harp. TAKE THAT Sound Guy! I bet that sounded freaking huge. Did you just use a green bullet?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    How difficult is it to 'head' an amp?
    Just pull the CHASSIS and you have the actual amp in your hands.
    Now just find a head box that it fits into, or you can just build one.
    Here's what some of Mojo's boxes look like - Mojo: Head Box Cabinets
    They'll even build one for you if you can't - just look at the blue box on the bottom.
    I just saw this as well: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Fender-Style-amp-Head-empty-cabinet-Cheap-25-start_W0QQitemZ130191901590QQihZ003QQcategoryZ43375QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Get the dimensions of your chasis and see if it'll fit.
    Remember to leave room for the tubes and reverb tank.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Just pull the CHASSIS and you have the actual amp in your hands.
    Now just find a head box that it fits into, or you can just build one.
    Here's what some of Mojo's boxes look like - Mojo: Head Box Cabinets
    They'll even build one for you if you can't - just look at the blue box on the bottom.
    I just saw this as well: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Fender-Style-amp-Head-empty-cabinet-Cheap-25-start_W0QQitemZ130191901590QQihZ003QQcategoryZ43375QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Get the dimensions of your chasis and see if it'll fit.
    Remember to leave room for the tubes and reverb tank.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian

Hmm interesting!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    59 bassman for harp. TAKE THAT Sound Guy! I bet that sounded freaking huge. Did you just use a green bullet?

Before I got the bassman I was playing through a Traynor with 4 10's that just didn't cut it. I discovered that Harp players hailed the 59 bassman as the Holy Grail of Harp amps. After the first gig I played with the bassman, the sound guy was freaking out about how good the Harp sounded.

My first couple of years I used the green bullet, but I developed a style of playing that was similar to John Popper, so I found the bullet too big and too heavy. I ended up using a Shure SM48S. I took the cage off, pulled out the foam and hammered the top of the cage flat but at a slight angle. This brings the Harp closer to the mic and gives a slightly distorted sound. If I let the bassman warm up for an hour or two before gig time you get a fat tone with a dose of overdrive.

q
  • RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    Alright. So, I decided to go with a Hot Rod Deluxe and just got the Texas Red version! Can't wait for it to arrive!
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
    MLC2006 wrote:
    go on ebay and type in "omnisonic". I have one of those, which is a volume box that plugs into the effects loop. it allows you to turn the overall volume down but allows you to crank the amp's controls all the way up as loud as you want. so you can get a cranked sound at a lower volume. if I recall, it cost less than $20. I would say that most tube amps with no headphone jack would be too loud for me (I have a wife and 2 year old who go to bed at 8pm) if I didn't have the omnisonic. I also had an omnisonic on a 5150 halfstack and it worked just as well.

here is the ebay link http://cgi.ebay.com/Omnisonic-Tube-Amp-VOLUME-BOX-for-PEAVEY-Classic-30-50_W0QQitemZ130185924255QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130185924255 the one in the link is for a Peavey, but they make them for Fenders too.

I have a question about these...can they harm the amp or are they a legit way to get the best tone at lower volumes?
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Rhyno wrote:
    I have a question about these...can they harm the amp or are they a legit way to get the best tone at lower volumes?
    USE AN ATTENUATOR TO ACHIEVE THE BEST TONE AT LOWER VOLUMES -- BUT SCROLL DOWN AND READ #31 & #29.
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    i really like the hot rord
    never tried the blues deluxe, but i would really reccomend the hot rod. my instructor uses one as a back up for his mesa
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    USE AN ATTENUATOR TO ACHIEVE THE BEST TONE AT LOWER VOLUMES -- BUT SCROLL DOWN AND READ #31 & #29.

Thanks. I missed those. Again, thanks to everyone for your feedback. This board is very helpful!
    Cheers!
    Rhyno