Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue?

RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Which one's better in your opinion for getting tones like PJ, Kings of Leon, The Who, Led Zeppelin, etc.
Cheers!
Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I have the BLues Deluxe and like it fine (though I'd of course rather have a Marshall JCM800 if I had the money for it). I think the big difference between the 2 amps is the Hot Rod's 3rd channel. but from what I've read, that 3rd channel is pretty worthless anyway.
  • Hot Rod Deluxe...quite possibly one of the greatest amps ever created
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    MLC2006 wrote:
    but from what I've read, that 3rd channel is pretty worthless anyway.

that was my experience.

i vote for the blues deluxe reissue. the tweed looks cooler anyway.

other that that boost on the drive channel, it's the same amp.
  • for those of you who have the blues deluxe reissue, is it too loud an amp for indoor use? I'm thinking of getting the Blues jr. amp, but would love an amp that has both the creamy blues tone, yet can dial in enough punch for a zeppelin tune. Only problem is, I've heard the Hot Rod Deluxe is very, very loud, is the blues reissue of the same way?

thanks all
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
    for those of you who have the blues deluxe reissue, is it too loud an amp for indoor use? I'm thinking of getting the Blues jr. amp, but would love an amp that has both the creamy blues tone, yet can dial in enough punch for a zeppelin tune. Only problem is, I've heard the Hot Rod Deluxe is very, very loud, is the blues reissue of the same way?

thanks all

go on ebay and type in "omnisonic". I have one of those, which is a volume box that plugs into the effects loop. it allows you to turn the overall volume down but allows you to crank the amp's controls all the way up as loud as you want. so you can get a cranked sound at a lower volume. if I recall, it cost less than $20. I would say that most tube amps with no headphone jack would be too loud for me (I have a wife and 2 year old who go to bed at 8pm) if I didn't have the omnisonic. I also had an omnisonic on a 5150 halfstack and it worked just as well.

here is the ebay link http://cgi.ebay.com/Omnisonic-Tube-Amp-VOLUME-BOX-for-PEAVEY-Classic-30-50_W0QQitemZ130185924255QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130185924255 the one in the link is for a Peavey, but they make them for Fenders too.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    MLC2006 wrote:
    go on ebay and type in "omnisonic". I have one of those, which is a volume box that plugs into the effects loop. it allows you to turn the overall volume down but allows you to crank the amp's controls all the way up as loud as you want. so you can get a cranked sound at a lower volume. if I recall, it cost less than $20. I would say that most tube amps with no headphone jack would be too loud for me (I have a wife and 2 year old who go to bed at 8pm) if I didn't have the omnisonic. I also had an omnisonic on a 5150 halfstack and it worked just as well.

here is the ebay link http://cgi.ebay.com/Omnisonic-Tube-Amp-VOLUME-BOX-for-PEAVEY-Classic-30-50_W0QQitemZ130185924255QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130185924255 the one in the link is for a Peavey, but they make them for Fenders too.

Wow, I'll have to look into that for the future when I inevitably get a really loud amp. I've never seen that before... I've always thought attenuators were the only way to play a loud amp quietly... is there really NO effect on the tone?
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    DOSW wrote:
    Wow, I'll have to look into that for the future when I inevitably get a really loud amp. I've never seen that before... I've always thought attenuators were the only way to play a loud amp quietly... is there really NO effect on the tone?

not really, not so far as I can tell. I'm sure if you're a professional guitarist or playing a lot of large gigs, you would want something different. but for playing in the house, this is $20 well spent.
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    exhausted wrote:
    that was my experience.

i vote for the blues deluxe reissue. the tweed looks cooler anyway.

other that that boost on the drive channel, it's the same amp.

i have a hot rod deluxe and it is amazing. i love it. it sounds gorgeous on clean. very crisp sounding amp. just plugging the guitar in with no pedals and using the drive channel isn't too great though. i don't really use it's drive. i run my od/ds pedals through the clean channel for my drive.

and as far as the tweed lookin cool, they now have the hot rod deluxe in the classic black, the tweed, some coral green, and some other color, i forgot.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Neither. Traynor YCV40.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • BLUES DELUXE REISSUE

hello to everyone, been a while

You need something to crank in order to get a good tone for what you are looking for. Your looking for something to crank where the clean breaks up to give you that grit. For a LZ tone your going to want to get a pedal (FULLTONE OCD) or an amp with a great overdrive sound.

If your looking for that clean grit, a fender amp is your best route. Personally I would go with a Traynor route. The YCV40WR has the best clean tone in its class...the 50BLUE (they still make them?) doesn't have great of a clean but the overdrive is what you would want for a LZ sound.

The Blue Deluxe Reissue is absolutely gorgeous, but don't count out a Traynors unless you play them. The Traynors seem to be the only amps now that deliver everything you want for the price.

If you want more info on the Traynors I can give you a lot more info that will take you a while to read :D
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I love the Hot Rod clean (I have a 4X10 DeVille), but truthfully the stock OD is useless.
    However, it's a very easy fix - just get Jim Price to modify it. click: Omega Mod
    Truthfully, Jim does a really really really incredible job on these amps - it's a completely
    different amp when he's done (honestly, if you own a Fender Hot Rod, get this done).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    If your looking for that clean grit, a fender amp is your best route. Personally I would go with a Traynor route. The YCV40WR has the best clean tone in its class...the 50BLUE (they still make them?) doesn't have great of a clean but the overdrive is what you would want for a LZ sound.

The Blue Deluxe Reissue is absolutely gorgeous, but don't count out a Traynors unless you play them. The Traynors seem to be the only amps now that deliver everything you want for the price.

If you want more info on the Traynors I can give you a lot more info that will take you a while to read :D

I have a Traynor YCV40 and the clean tone is pretty good for what it is (40 watt combo) and especially considering the price. I got mine for around the $350 range used. The overdrive is OK but you can get a better sound out of pedals (my OCD for example).
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Play a Mesa 5:25 before you decide. It will give you clean, crunch and classic rock, with no pedals required. I don't know what the price is, but you will never regret buying quality.
    Moreover, buy what you want and you will be happy.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Novawind wrote:
    I have a Traynor YCV40 and the clean tone is pretty good for what it is (40 watt combo) and especially considering the price. I got mine for around the $350 range used. The overdrive is OK but you can get a better sound out of pedals (my OCD for example).
    Hell, i got my YCV80Q for $350! It's beat to shit, but sounds incredible.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Hell, i got my YCV80Q for $350! It's beat to shit, but sounds incredible.

Got my YCV40WR for about the same price on ebay. Loving it still.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • for those who own a blues jr. or have played one, can you dial in a sparkling clean tone off that say when your playing off the bridge p/u? I know the gritty tones are unbelievable, but just wanted to know if you can get some traditional Fender sparkling cleans out of this, along the lines of the chords of "something" by the Beatles.

thanks
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
    for those who own a blues jr. or have played one, can you dial in a sparkling clean tone off that say when your playing off the bridge p/u? I know the gritty tones are unbelievable, but just wanted to know if you can get some traditional Fender sparkling cleans out of this, along the lines of the chords of "something" by the Beatles.

thanks

yes, you can get an extremely clean tone. and the reverb is very good (typical Fender reverb) too. other than that, it's a regular tube amp. the dirty channel isn't as good as the clean channel + overdrive or distortion pedal though.
  • Novawind wrote:

Most people don't realize this but the difference between the YCV40 and the YCV40WR, is pretty big. The Vintage 30 speaker allows for a completely different tone IMO. Set the drive to about 6 or 7 and hit the boost...ahhh heaven...or drive to about half way and OCD drive to a little past half way :D

I bought mine for 425 after shipping, greatest investment ever.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Rhyno wrote:
    Which one's better in your opinion for getting tones like PJ, Kings of Leon, The Who, Led Zeppelin, etc.

I prefer the Blues Deluxe, though the HRD has a great clean channel especially with a better speaker and if the Omega Mods are done to it, the other channels become substantially more useable.

Please consider a 59 bassman ltd.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Most people don't realize this but the difference between the YCV40 and the YCV40WR, is pretty big. The Vintage 30 speaker allows for a completely different tone IMO. Set the drive to about 6 or 7 and hit the boost...ahhh heaven...or drive to about half way and OCD drive to a little past half way :D

I bought mine for 425 after shipping, greatest investment ever.

I might swap out the speaker eventually but the problem is a lack of capital ($) right now.

The other project standing in the way is that I want to build a custom 4x10 or 4x12 cab for my Epi Jr, since the 8" combo speaker is only ok for very very low volumes, and I'd like a wider freq response. What kind of speaker is the Vintage 30, Celestion?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    I might swap out the speaker eventually but the problem is a lack of capital ($) right now.

The other project standing in the way is that I want to build a custom 4x10 or 4x12 cab for my Epi Jr, since the 8" combo speaker is only ok for very very low volumes, and I'd like a wider freq response. What kind of speaker is the Vintage 30, Celestion?

Yes, it's a celestion.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Please consider a 59 bassman ltd.

I wanted to try and spend less than $1000, but do you think a Bassman is noticeably better than a Blues Deluxe or Hot Rod Deluxe?
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
  • Rhyno wrote:
    I wanted to try and spend less than $1000, but do you think a Bassman is noticeably better than a Blues Deluxe or Hot Rod Deluxe?

a 59 bassman is gorgeous, thats all that can be said
    Rhyno wrote:
    The Bassman is very nice (I own one), but I find it breaks up a lot harsher and much more flabby than the others.
    Personally I'd stay with the HR series, and then just upgrade a little.
    Don't rule out the click: PEAVEY CLASSIC Series Amps - nice all tube amps for the price.
    I have an OLDER version of a Classic50-4X10 - looks just like my Bassman, but has a better range of OD tones.
  • RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    Thanks for the input. Can someone tell me the affect that having multiple speakers plays? Like 4 speakers in the Bassman versus 1 in the Hot Rod Deluxe or the Blues Deluxe...
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

Rhyno wrote:
    Thanks for the input. Can someone tell me the affect that having multiple speakers plays? Like 4 speakers in the Bassman versus 1 in the Hot Rod Deluxe or the Blues Deluxe...
    More speakers = more air movement = more depth and fullness to your sound.
    Because of this 2 or 4 speakers sound way better than a single speaker (IMO).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
  • Okay, so I'm about 1 week away from purchasing a new amp. It's gonna be the Fender HR DeVille 212 or the HR 410. The price difference is only $55 so would you go for the 2 12's or the 4 10's. What are the Pros and Cons?

Also, is there any adverse affect on an amp from extended use of an Omnisonic type device?

q
    Okay, so I'm about 1 week away from purchasing a new amp. It's gonna be the Fender HR DeVille 212 or the HR 410. The price difference is only $55 so would you go for the 2 12's or the 4 10's. What are the Pros and Cons?

Also, is there any adverse affect on an amp from extended use of an Omnisonic type device?

q

I'd go with 4x10's without thinking twice personally but they sound different so play both if you can.

Yes, if you use the Attenuator all the time and heavilly you can have some issues with blown fuses, tubes and transformers it just depends on how heavilly you tend to use them. They work great to knock the sound down a few DB (you do lose some perceived treble response) but they don't work so well for cranking the amp and turning it down to bedroom all the time. I've got a Weber I used for a while but the Master Volume on my Orange is fairly decent and in conjunction with pedals and the gain I can get a pretty good quiet tone. I'd get the amp first and play with it a while before seeking any power reduction devices.

http://www.amptone.com/powerattenuatorfaq.htm

These are a common sight in the HRD amps as well. I've seen quite a few HRD's with Vintage 30's and Yellow Jackets.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_yellowjacket.html

congrats on the new amp by the way. It's going to be awesome.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    congrats on the new amp by the way. It's going to be awesome.

Thanks, I can hardly wait. Another question for you. The last amp I bought was a used 59' Bassman (I mainly play harp through it). I have not bought a new amp for close to 20 yrs now. My question is, should I feel comfortable buying the amp right off the showroom floor (they {Long and Mcquade} only have one of each in stock) or should I have them order one for me?

q
    I agree, play both - I play the 4x10, but you may like the 2x12 (I warn you, they are LOUD amps).
    Again, yup - an attenuator will generally break your components down faster (tubes, trannys, caps, fuses).
    If you're not playing with a band maybe think about a Deluxe since it's less wattage, but will still EASILY
    work with a band (again, these are loud amps). Then if you want more air movement either Head It and
    use a cab with more speakers, or just run an external cab with the amp. I've thought many times about
    heading my DeVille and just running an external cab (the combo's quite heavy).

- Ian