So I am buying a new amp

PeatricalPeatrical Posts: 59
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I am i nthe market for a new amp, and I want something good, and something Tube. No Solid state.

Any suggestions?

Also, I play an SG Supreme, not sure if that has any relevence but I have heard some amps sound great with the humbuckers.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• most people here say traynor, traynor, traynor, and i must agree they are good amps, but personally i would try and find an older marshall model, or a new/old orange amp... where in alberta do you live? i know tons of little nooks that have great amp selection

Harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Dude, you live in Canada. Get a Peters Amp. :)
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i second the orange suggestion. though my SG gets alone well with my fender deluxe reverb as well. the orange is a meaner tone though by far.
  • exhausted wrote:
    i second the orange suggestion. though my SG gets alone well with my fender deluxe reverb as well. the orange is a meaner tone though by far.

yeah it depends really, im a huge fender fan, its pretty much all i will buy from now on (i have had plenty of experience with other brands, fender just seems to work). i love to get controllable overdrive, feedback, and crunch out of amps, and although i do not own an orange, i know they are capable of doign this correctly. Marshall's do a fairly good job as well, but i think a nice orange amp woudl be the finishing touch, its really hard to say, fender hot rod series seems comparable to orange to me, just more affordable of course, and definately not quite at the same level

H

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i've got an orange AD15 and i've had blues juniors and pro jr's as well.

both are nice but the orange voicing is completely a thing of it's own.

i'd imagine that can roughly be extrapolated to the larger amps.
  • PeatricalPeatrical Posts: 59
    I was thinking of a mesa boogie, which comes highly recomended from my teacher.

Could you guys toss some price figures out for the amps you mentioned?
  • Peatrical wrote:
    I was thinking of a mesa boogie, which comes highly recomended from my teacher.

Could you guys toss some price figures out for the amps you mentioned?

AD30 2x12 from guitarworks calgary is 1899, fender hot rod series 700-1200 pending on size, condition, store...wher eina lberta do you live? i know some good edmotnon locations

Harrison

I'm around Calgary right now, but for a good deal I will drive anywhere.

I am thinking more along the lines of 1000 this time around, that or I'd finance it at Long and Mcquade. Speaking of which I should go check them out tomorrow.
  • Hey harrison!! I was just in BC!!!

I finally got to play the YCV40 WR, but I couldn't crank it and so didn't really hear the difference :o
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Orange AD30
    Peavey Delta Blues
    Peavey Classic 30
    Traynor YCV40(WR)
    Traynor 50BLUE
    Rivera (anything by them is great)
    Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue

we also need to know your price range
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore

I finally got to play the YCV40 WR, but I couldn't crank it and so didn't really hear the difference :o

who cares....(there is slight difference when you crank it)...but get it, it looks better!! haha
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • who cares....(there is slight difference when you crank it)...but get it, it looks better!! haha

Ya it really does!!!

It was on like, ultimate low volume though, like 0.4....lol

It hardly even counted as playing it :o

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Ya it really does!!!

It was on like, ultimate low volume though, like 0.4....lol

It hardly even counted as playing it :o

yeah i know what u mean i have to keep it at like .7 or .8 for my bedroom but i get a good sound...when i crank it, sounds so much better...but when u first crank it you have to play around with the settings to get that sound u have at bedroom volumes...for me i have to turn the treble way down and the bass slightly and increase the mids by maybe .5 or 1

hey cool, where in bc? im not a traynor fan for some reason...but neat that you tried one...

Harrison

• FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    I've got a Marshall TSL 122 100W tube amp. A little pricey, but more than worth it.
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you
  • the only amp you'll ever need.

http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/amps/smoke.php
    saves you a FORTUNE, too.
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    Hmmm I have narrowed it to a mesa boogie, a rivera, or a marshall. It is so hard to choose. I want to avoid buying a head/cabinet set up as space is limited and this would be a jam amp to carry around. I LOVE the rivera tone....
  • Peatrical wrote:
    Hmmm I have narrowed it to a mesa boogie, a rivera, or a marshall. It is so hard to choose. I want to avoid buying a head/cabinet set up as space is limited and this would be a jam amp to carry around. I LOVE the rivera tone....

what kidn of music do you play? list all things yoru into, acoustic stuff, electric stuff, everything...cause some amps are more versatile than others...

Harrison

Jazz and Blues mainly.

I also like to rock out occasionally, but I hear a good 50 watt rivera can do that with built in distortion, or use a good ol' pedal.
  • Peatrical wrote:
    Jazz and Blues mainly.

I also like to rock out occasionally, but I hear a good 50 watt rivera can do that with built in distortion, or use a good ol' pedal.

the rivera will be perfect for that rock out stuff (overdrive)....the clean channel will work out GREATLY for your Jazz and Blues style, but I don't think it will give you a bluesy overdrive, when I played one i wasn't paying attention to the bluesy sound, so maybe you can

but to save you some money...a Peavey Delta Blues will be right up your alley
  • Peatrical wrote:

If your looking at the Mesa end of things, then look at the Peavey XXX and save your self some coins.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • hey cool, where in bc? im not a traynor fan for some reason...but neat that you tried one...

Harrison

I was in Penticton

We flew from Toronto to Vancouver then connected to Kelowna and drove to Penticton.

It was beautiful out there, you're very lucky :)

I could definitley see myself out there one day.

.NJD.
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    Keep your eye out for a little Marshall called a Studio 15. It's plenty loud but it's got a built-in attenuator so you can knock it down to 3 watts for bedroom playing and still crank the output (to an extent, 3 watts is much louder than most people realise). Plus, they come stock with a nice 12" Celestion Vintage 30. They're long since discontinued but they pop up fairly regularly on eBay.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Peatrical wrote:
    Jazz and Blues mainly.

You play mainly jazz and blues and you are looking at a boogie, a riveria, gee man I think you need to hear these amps.
    There is only one amp that can do it all from what you are describing and since you haven't said what your budget is, then I will assume you can afford it. Go get your self a Super Reverb. It has a great clean for your jazz and with a nice boost pedal it will give you a fantastic crunch. You are going to have just play a ton of amps as none of us can suggest anything for you. But if you give me a dollar range I can point you in a direction that will confuse you a bit more :)
    In all seriousness, the amps you are looking at are metal/rock amps. Not a useful clean tone in them IMO. The only Marshall's that have shimmering cleans are JTM 45's, if you have the coin you wont be dissapointed. But you'll never get into the creamy territory at home levels. The smaller bedroom amps will have great crunch but never a good clean.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    I disagree about the rivera amps, they have great tone on the clean chanel, and my teacher recomended and demoed one for me. It had a wonderful tone, perfect for pretty much anything.

But I do apreciate your comment, and i have ben trying them out. Hell I apreciate everyone who has replied. Thanks everyone :)
  • there is one thing about rivera amps that seperate them from the rest for a lighter, more controlled sound: the gain. you can have it set right so when your playign lightly the cleans ring through perfect, and then once you attack the strings a bit harder, or turn up the volume just a bit on yoru guitar it will start to crunch up a bit, its so nice for controlled sound. Ive seen a performer (http://www.robszabo.com) and he is a solo artist, he plays guitar and sings...he played acoustics, and a baritone electric through this amp, without even changign settings, it was unreal, for a lighter half of the guitar playign spectrum, i HIGHLY recomend the rivera, very versatile, and sounds great with effects (delay, chorus, even OD)

Harrison

• You might want to try something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MESA-BOOGIE-DC-5-TUBE-AMP-NEAR-MINT-dc5-dc-5_W0QQitemZ7400513222QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mesa Boogie DC 5 is a really versatile amp and these go for about $600 - $800.
    It has a clean and gain channel, a pull-the-knob thingy boost for the clean channel that's GREAT blues.
    The EQ channel is footswitchable so you can hit a whole new sound in that channel, too.
    It's 50 watts and loud but sounds pretty good with the master volume turned down. It'll stand up to anything at band practice.
    The downside is that they do take a lot of tweaking to get the sounds out of them, so you have to spend some time experimenting, but once you find what you like, you write the settings down!
    It's a Fender based sound, but with the EQ you can get a pretty good Marshall sound outta that thing! I travelled a lot with mine.

I saw Pat Martino playing through one last year. He's an animal on that jazz. You should check him out live!

My other favorite of all time is the Fender Deluxe Reverb. Great clean at lower volumes, and breaks up so nice at 4 or 5 or 6 on the dial. :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

For a 40 watt tube, I think it's a wicked amp!!

.NJD.
    I ended up getting a 50 watt traynor. I like the tone on it, it has two good chanels, and the price was nice too.