Fender Strat Vs. Epiphone Les Paul

2»

Comments

• Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    enharmonic wrote:
    There is nothing "better" or "worse" about a guitar with single coils vs. a guitar with humbuckers. A strat and a les paul are dramatically different instruments...not the least of those differences are tone woods and scal length.

The one that's best is the one that works best for you and inspires you to play. :)

Sigh. That's what I wanted to say.

Totally different guitars. It all comes down to preference in sound, style and feel.

Now for my opinion, based on MY experiences and sound and style preferences.

If I had to have one guitar, it would be a Les Paul. Just thought I'd throw that out there to add some more dimension into the conversation. :p
  • Sigh. That's what I wanted to say.

Totally different guitars. It all comes down to preference in sound, style and feel.

Now for my opinion, based on MY experiences and sound and style preferences.

If I had to have one guitar, it would be a Les Paul. Just thought I'd throw that out there to add some more dimension into the conversation. :p

i on the other hand woudl take a strat....!

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • jbdjbd Posts: 65

+1
    "Fuck the kids ! Except the ones who are buying our records! They're fucking themselves!" - Mark Arm
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602

I want a Strat, and a Tele to go with my LP.

damn budget....... :D
  • ruderude Posts: 14
    ctvedhead wrote:
    I have an Epi LP as well and I love it. I like everything about it better than the Strat I used to have. As far as amps...Marshall...accept no substitutes.

Marshalls are nice....but I like my Mesa Boogie....
    MLC2006 wrote:
    if you want bang for the buck, get a Peavey tube amp. solid state amps are crap, imo. also imo, Fender amps are crap. however if you want a solid state Fender amp, I've got one I'd be glad to sell you.

I had a Peavey Classic a long time ago. It was a tube amp with two 12 inch speakers and was a monster.

But it had a boomy, very distinctive sound that was a little 'dated'.....or limited.

Fender Amps, like the guitars seem to vary widely, I have a little Fender Champ from the 70's that I love...all tube, small and toneful (is that a word?)....anyway if you can find a vintage Fender tube amp from 1970 or earlier, they are amazing. I don't know about the current crop of Fender stuff.....but usually try to avoid anything solid state. IMHO
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I thought I would update. My friend and I went to our nearest guitar center. We didn't get to stay long, but I had time to test 2 different Epiphone Les Paul's, 1 vintage Strat that I would never be able to afford, and 1 Mexican Strat. I have to say I fell in love with the Mexican Strat. I didn't make any purchases, as it will be a while before I can afford anything. I'll test more Les Paul's out, but I wasn't really impressed at ALL. I couldn't keep my hands off the Strat though, and as of now that' what i'm going to purchase. I'm also planning on buying a Texas Special pick up, and possibly another pickup, yet to be decided. So now I have to find an amp I want, and get the money!

So I just wanted to say thanks for all the help.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    I thought I would update. My friend and I went to our nearest guitar center. We didn't get to stay long, but I had time to test 2 different Epiphone Les Paul's, 1 vintage Strat that I would never be able to afford, and 1 Mexican Strat. I have to say I fell in love with the Mexican Strat. I didn't make any purchases, as it will be a while before I can afford anything. I'll test more Les Paul's out, but I wasn't really impressed at ALL. I couldn't keep my hands off the Strat though, and as of now that' what i'm going to purchase. I'm also planning on buying a Texas Special pick up, and possibly another pickup, yet to be decided. So now I have to find an amp I want, and get the money!

So I just wanted to say thanks for all the help.

Good stuff man,

I would get whatever guitar you're going to see in your room and it just makes you wanna play so bad.....if you know what I'm sayin'

I'm thinking too that the amp will play a big role on which guitar you're playing, like if you were playing the Fender through a Fender it would shine where as if you were playing the Epiphone through a Marshall it would shine.....make sure you're getting the best tone from the guitar AND amp.

:):)

Keep us posted.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    It sounds like you picked out a Strat! :D
    You have to know the style that you want to play, but if you get a Strat that feels and sounds good to you, then you'll have a versatile guitar.

A Strat has a little longer string length (25 1/2 inches) which gives the same sized strings a stiffer feel than a Les Paul style (24 3/4 inches)
    You get used to it though, and there are a lot of switching options and pickup options that give more sounds to a Strat as you develop your style.
    You can always put a humbucker in the bridge instead of the single coil, and that'll give you a beefier lead. That's a common complaint about Strats.
    A Seymour Duncan lil 59 is a great pickup for that.

I love'm all!!! Strats, Les Pauls, G&L, Teles,,, Hollowbodies

Like enharmonic says, they are different instruments altogether.
    Play it, feel it, listen to what it has to say, and if it speaks to you, go for it!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Very well said :):)

That should be our M&G slogan at the top of the forum ;)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • sheenTN wrote:
    I know no one's mentioned this yet, but I'm a lefty (which SUCKS for guitar shopping) who has owned an Epi LP Standard (excellent instrument indeed), but now I have an older Lefty Squier with Seymour Duncan Hot Rail(which are small humbuckers that can fit in a single coil hole) that just screams, but if you can find one in your price range, try a G&L. I got the telecaster, lefthanded, at a music go round store for $450, and this guitar has a tone and the playability like no other. I've played vintage Strats and Gibson Les Pauls, and none feel as good or sound near as good as a G&L. Try it, but remember, whatever feels best to you is probably the best fit for you. Good Luck!!!

G&L's are fuckin' unreal. I've had a legacy for about 7 years now. Its beautiful, sunburst, seymour duncan in the bridge, single coils in the middle and neck positions. I've yet to play a guitar that matches it for playability, sound, and just the way it feels in my hands. G&L's are the best out there in my opinion.
    "If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead" - Layne Staley

Vancouver '98
    Vancouver '03
    Benaroya Hall, Seattle '03
    Arnhem '06
    G&L's are fuckin' unreal. I've had a legacy for about 7 years now. Its beautiful, sunburst, seymour duncan in the bridge, single coils in the middle and neck positions. I've yet to play a guitar that matches it for playability, sound, and just the way it feels in my hands. G&L's are the best out there in my opinion.

I have to chime in here on the G&L endorsement. They are very nice. Giant frets and superb necks. My strat, which i recently acquired in some sort of great karmic balancing...(long story, but when I got the guitar is was in a case so old and worn out that it is amazing it made it perfectly through the mail....and I could clearly see the outline of the 73 model --3 bolt backplate that was in the case for a long time before this one went in--)...has that G&L feel on the neck. Somehow it is 'unfinished' cept for maybe a thin layer of oil and has the same feel. I love it.

Fenders are so incredibly varied by instrument, but every G&L I have tried/owned in amazing--the blues boy is also great and I based my Telecaster on that concept....single coil/humbucker. I had a nice sunburst G&L Legacy Deluxe about 3 years ago...I had to sell it due to some pinch in finances, getting the strat kind of fills that void.

Also parted with a 73 Strat way back when *kicks self* Which is where the erie karmic thread comes in--The 73, It was a bad trade on my part for an effects bank which I later gave away...dumb kid that I was!!! But I scored the custom shop strat in Olympic White Hendryx Style of Course...from a defunct pawn shop in W. Virginia...fire sale at $375!!!- but now I am complete again. You gotta have a strat. I love my Les and my Tele, but my strat is the yellow ledbetter - esque chime.....amazing instrument.
  • i have an american standard strat. i've had it for many years now, and i've been pretty happy with it. but now i think i want to move on and try something out such as a les paul. the strat plays great, but it doesn't go to the next level for me.
    i have an american standard strat. i've had it for many years now, and i've been pretty happy with it. but now i think i want to move on and try something out such as a les paul. the strat plays great, but it doesn't go to the next level for me.

I have seen regular American standard strats and played a few. Usually they are real bare bones feeling without anything of the feel that you might get with some custom shop models and vintage strats. Mike plays a strat and takes that thing to incredible heights, so the right strat can offer unlimited performance.

Les Pauls (I have an amazing standard from 1992 which I bought new...it has an ebony neck, candy apple red finish, lindy fralins, and simply plays amazing) are much heavier in weight and in sound. Depending on the setup they can sometimes give you a feeling of very fleet fingering potential. Les Pauls are a passion of mine. I love the sound Pete Townsend got with his in the seventies -- mine weighs a ton though.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    rude wrote:
    I have to chime in here on the G&L endorsement. They are very nice. Giant frets and superb necks. My strat, which i recently acquired in some sort of great karmic balancing...(long story, but when I got the guitar is was in a case so old and worn out that it is amazing it made it perfectly through the mail....and I could clearly see the outline of the 73 model --3 bolt backplate that was in the case for a long time before this one went in--)...has that G&L feel on the neck. Somehow it is 'unfinished' cept for maybe a thin layer of oil and has the same feel. I love it.

Fenders are so incredibly varied by instrument, but every G&L I have tried/owned in amazing--the blues boy is also great and I based my Telecaster on that concept....single coil/humbucker. I had a nice sunburst G&L Legacy Deluxe about 3 years ago...I had to sell it due to some pinch in finances, getting the strat kind of fills that void.

Also parted with a 73 Strat way back when *kicks self* Which is where the erie karmic thread comes in--The 73, It was a bad trade on my part for an effects bank which I later gave away...dumb kid that I was!!! But I scored the custom shop strat in Olympic White Hendryx Style of Course...from a defunct pawn shop in W. Virginia...fire sale at $375!!!- but now I am complete again. You gotta have a strat. I love my Les and my Tele, but my strat is the yellow ledbetter - esque chime.....amazing instrument.

You mean to tell me you got a custom shop strat for $375!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Yes! Not only did I get one - another guy in California won one as well. Before I bid, I talked to him, he had a few strats....I asked if this for real? he said his was/is amazing...when it arrived I nearly fell out of my chair. I really love it and it is totally unique....that smooth really nicely finished neck is amazing. Cannot believe the price. Karma came into it when I thought of the 73 that I let go for 'nothing' about 10 years ago and always was bothered by that event. Now I am at peace with my strat-i-cism....
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    It's a tie. They both suck.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?