Fender Strat Vs. Epiphone Les Paul

gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, well, i still have a beginners guitar, and i'm saving up money to upgrade. I will test a bunch of different guitars out, but at the moment I am singled down to a Fender Strat and an Epiphone Les Paul. Now, it would probably help you to know my two favorite guitarists of ALL time are Mike Mccready and Neil Young [I know he plays a gibson, but that's a lot of money, so I'm thinking epiphone.]

So, both guitars have great sounds that I love, but I'm not sure what I want to get. I love how clean a Strat can get, but it seems like everyone has one, and I want to be different, plus I like the bassy tone of a Les Paul [Think Dead Man.] How great does a clean Les Paul sound? Like is it hard to pull out a soulful, bluesy solo like Mike's NAIS, YLB, or Alive? But then with a Strat it's hard to get that style of playing Neil does with the Fenders absence of a tremelo bar. So could you guys help me out? Compare and contrast the two? Pros and Cons? It would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. You can also include amps too if you'd like, along with things that are usually seen on a Strat [like how a wah pedal is usually used with strats, how would it sound on a Les Paul? etc etc.] Thanks again.
Happiness is only real when shared
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    Always go with a Les Paul. Much fatter sound than a Fender. Fender is more of a tinn, sharp sound. Some prefer that. I personally like the fat sound of a Les Paul.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    I have an Epi LP Standard and love it. But I also want a Strat.......and a Gibson LP GoldTop...and a Tele.....you see my problem. :D
  • MariusMarius Posts: 40
    It sounds like you already made up your mind on the Epiphone, (if i read between the lines). I have a Strat and Epiphone Les Paul. I prefer the Epiphone. Much "warmer" sound.
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    maybe you can get both. you can get a mexican fender strat for under $400. i have a mex tele and it does the job.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Godin Freeway Classic. Best of both worlds. HSH w/ a tremelo.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Sweet! Thanks, I've never even heard of one of those! I'll test a few when I finally have enough money saved! That's so cool, I really appreciate that insight!
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Godin Freeway Classic. Best of both worlds. HSH w/ a tremelo.

I saw those when I picked up my Luthrie acoustic. Great looking guitar.

If I ever get an electric, I'm going to check those out.
  • i have had unreal "fatness" out of a fender, Lets just say to play/figure out a fender to get your ideal tone is alot more challenging than a les paul. I own 3 strats, one les paul, and have played MANY styles of each. I just can't do the les pauls anymore because i know how to dial my tone in on any strat. It all comes down to personal preference. No matter what anyone says here, you might find a peavey or washburn, ibanez, or schecter that give you what you want.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • jbdjbd Posts: 65
    Get a Strat Classic 50'... you won't regret it ! Low price and amazing Made In Japan reissue quality !
    "Fuck the kids ! Except the ones who are buying our records! They're fucking themselves!" - Mark Arm
  • jbd wrote:
    Get a Strat Classic 50'... you won't regret it ! Low price and amazing Made In Japan reissue quality !

remeber your from europe, our reissues are Mexican made, much lower quality than the japanese made. Your lucky man, Jap strats go for close to american standards here because there is no difference in quality. I almost wish there was a Japanese Deluxe series, i would sink alot of money into that.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • CanvasAdamCanvasAdam Posts: 134
    i own 4 strats(inclduing a vintage 1962 and a richie sambora signature), 2 tele's, 2 gibson les pauls(inculding a vintage 1976), and 1 epi paul(which never gets touched). anyway, i play in a full time band that has a 3 year deal with cbs records and on stage and on album it's the strats 90% of the time.

heck even slash on the velvet revolver album cut his leads tracks with a strat. strats are the most versatile guitars on earth. pauls are great, but you can't clean em up as much as a strat. if you are wanting a NAIS or YL type sound you need to invest in a strat.
    1998... 9/3
    2000... 8/7, 8/15, 11/5, 11/6
    2001... 10/20, 10/21, 10/22
    2002... 12/8, 12/9
    2003... 4/9, 4/18, 4/19, 7/8, 7/9
    2004... 10/6, 10/8
    2006... 5/16, 5/17, 5/30
    2008... EV Solo 4/12, 4/13, 4/16
    2008... PJ 6/14, 7/12
    2008... Stone Solo 10/11
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    Having both, I still find the Paul to be the 'best' sounding guitar. Then again, it all comes down to style. I use my Les Paul for most of my crunchy rhythm and heavier leads.

I do prefer my strat for bluesy rock and mid-low gain rhythm. The strat by itself is better for cleans, but I've hotrodded my Les Paul to split coils. The single coils split on the Les Paul isn't as nice as the strat, but it can be combined with the selector switch, tone knobs and all the bells and whistles to get some good clean tones.

Another vote for the Les Paul. It just really cuts if you dial it in right.
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    I have and Epi Les Paul and I love it. It was my first "nice" guitar and I ended up puting a gibson '57 classic pickup in the bridge. It's a close second to my Gibson SG. I have a strat too but rarely play it, probably because it's a righty strung upside down (I play left handed) and the weight is awkward plus I can't reach the high frets with it flipped. Just spend time with each at the guitar shop and see which one you like more. Have fun!
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • jbdjbd Posts: 65
    remeber your from europe, our reissues are Mexican made, much lower quality than the japanese made. Your lucky man, Jap strats go for close to american standards here because there is no difference in quality. I almost wish there was a Japanese Deluxe series, i would sink alot of money into that.

You can't get Classic 50s in America ? Wow, you're missing something ! Well, in case you ever get to Europe, check this site out : http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_index.html?sn=d596ade85e09fd1e22d4b874afb04b45

http://www.thomann.de/prodbilder/fender_50_classic_stratocaster_mn_sg_egitarre_pimx_170210.jpg
    http://www.thomann.de/prodbilder/fender_50_stratocaster_classic_mn_fr_pimx_184960.jpg
    http://www.thomann.de/prodbilder/175321.jpg

Perfection...
    "Fuck the kids ! Except the ones who are buying our records! They're fucking themselves!" - Mark Arm
  • elstongunn wrote:
    maybe you can get both. you can get a mexican fender strat for under $400. i have a mex tele and it does the job.

I have a Mexican Strat, Over the years I kept putting money into it and upgrading it slowly, I took out the factory pick ups and put in some nice Seymor's and WOW did it ever sound like a million bucks. Pick ups made a difference in a good awesome tone.
    "Keep on Rockin In the Free World"

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
    "Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
    "Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"
    "Thunder Bay,ON 09-09-05"
  • ruderude Posts: 14
    Epi and Strat? Two totally different instruments with characteristic sound and playability that is worlds apart. Serious players usually own both.....I know I do. My arsenal includes a 1992 Gibson Les Paul (candy apple red, ebony neck) with gold hardware and hand wound Lindy Fralin humbuckers. The crunch is sublime and the tone breaks up nicely at volume. It is a true rock and roll machine. My Strat, Olympic White custom shop with Fender staggered pole pickups wired into a 5-way switch is an amazing bell-like blues and ballad axe. It'll shimmer and shine and crunch nicely in the bridge position. Maple neck and unfinished satin feel on the back of neck make it the perfect blues player as well. Finally a hot rodded, super worn telecaster with an ash body, Tommy Iommi pickup in the neck and a Bill Lawrence in the bridge -- a rock maple 9.5 radius neck that feels like a baseball bat in your hand--make it one seriously flexible guitar with a huge range of sounds and the ability to rock on some tunes. This little trifecta is the result of years of guitar horse trading including Fenders, G&Ls, and others....
    :sigh: Thanks for the help guys. It sounds like from your opinions that both, with new pickups/humbuckers, are guitars to die for! Someday I hope to own both, and a few more, but sadly that won't be for a while. Also sad, I am even more stressed out on which guitar to purchase. LOL. Oh well, testing both out a lot will help, as will getting some money. ;)
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    :sigh: Thanks for the help guys. It sounds like from your opinions that both, with new pickups/humbuckers, are guitars to die for! Someday I hope to own both, and a few more, but sadly that won't be for a while. Also sad, I am even more stressed out on which guitar to purchase. LOL. Oh well, testing both out a lot will help, as will getting some money. ;)

What colour for both???

Then I'll make my final decision :):)

Not like it really matters :D:p
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
    Sunburst for the Strat, ALA Mike, and Black for the Les Paul, ALA Neil. :D
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    gobrowns19 wrote:

Ahhh

The Strat.

:D:D
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    gobrowns19 wrote:

That's the way to go for a Strat. That's what mine is, and she's a beaut!
  • sheenTNsheenTN Posts: 163
    I know no one's mentioned this yet, but I'm a lefty (which SUCKS for guitar shopping) who has owned an Epi LP Standard (excellent instrument indeed), but now I have an older Lefty Squier with Seymour Duncan Hot Rail(which are small humbuckers that can fit in a single coil hole) that just screams, but if you can find one in your price range, try a G&L. I got the telecaster, lefthanded, at a music go round store for $450, and this guitar has a tone and the playability like no other. I've played vintage Strats and Gibson Les Pauls, and none feel as good or sound near as good as a G&L. Try it, but remember, whatever feels best to you is probably the best fit for you. Good Luck!!!
    Knoxville '98, Greensboro 2000, Raleigh 2003, Nashville 2003, Asheville 2004, Bonnaroo 2008, Columbia 2008, EV The Ryman 1&2 2009, Alpine Valley 1&2 2011, Charlotte 2013, Columbia 2016, Lexington 2016, Bonnaroo 2016
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    There is nothing "better" or "worse" about a guitar with single coils vs. a guitar with humbuckers. A strat and a les paul are dramatically different instruments...not the least of those differences are tone woods and scal length.

The one that's best is the one that works best for you and inspires you to play. :)
  • andychandych Posts: 130
    if the strat is american,buy it over a copy which at the end of the day the epiphone is,they have nice tones (played one) but the strat if US beats it hands down..
    an original standard then we have a totally different point to debate..

go with the strat
    dead head

Bern 13/9/06
  • TheLuckyOnesTheLuckyOnes Posts: 472
    whatever amp you own should play a big part in your decision..

les paul will push your amp so much harder
    strats, for me, have always worked better with pedals

full disclosure: currently own --- American Strat (main guitar for 2 years)
    Squier Waynes World Strat (main guitar for kid years, the WW strat was the best quality squier i've seen, fair P/U and neck,only guitar i had for 4-5 years)
    Samick 335 copy (no les paul bite, bassy)

and...
    Just purchased Epiphone Les Paul Standard

so that should tell you something.... had the strats, needed the LP.
    make sure if you buy the Epiphone, take a lot of time finding a good neck, check intonation and frets closely. i tried about 20 before i bought. you can always swap Pickups too (which i'm already considering,Epi's are very average,not bad,average).

but definitely consider the amp you use and music style you're shooting for.

strat = versatile
    Lp = rockin!!

oh yeah .... and i need a tele now too for sure
  • ruderude Posts: 14
    nice Epi for sale...I can totally recommend this seller....Seymour Duncans ('59 bridge and '59 neck) installed PLUS Gibson Kluson tuners as well as Dunlop straplocks.

http://www.chrisguitars.com/epi03lpstd-csb-upgrade.jpg
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    get both.
  • ctvedheadctvedhead Posts: 58
    I have an Epi LP as well and I love it. I like everything about it better than the Strat I used to have. As far as amps...Marshall...accept no substitutes.
    if you call me Cupcake again I'll make fun of your knee socks and whistle
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I've had an American Strat for about 7 years. I can't remember exactly which model it's called but it has 2 single coils and then a humbucker at the tail end. it has plenty of 'fatness', especially with the right amp.

I agree with what somebody else said.....an American Strat is just better than a second tier (epiphone) Les Paul, though the price is pretty much the same. I have always heard that the shape (the way the neck is more angled back) backs the Les Pauls easier to play, don't know.

as far as amps, if you want bang for the buck, get a Peavey tube amp. solid state amps are crap, imo. also imo, Fender amps are crap. however if you want a solid state Fender amp, I've got one I'd be glad to sell you.