guitar nerds = the coolest kind of nerds

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
was just reading a survey my friend did on myspace....his whole life revolves around X-Box and he was talking about how he plays 4 hours a day and his gamer name is such and such and blah blah blah, it was so freakin' nerdy i felt sad for him, to be honest

my whole childhood was spent playing Nintendo...mario, zelda, mike tyson, metroid....then i had Super Nintendo....i had the first Playstation, but started to lose interest in video games, cuz it was around this time that a new hobby/obsession entered my life - GUITAR!!!

anyhow, i was thinking that i am a guitar nerd....sure beats being a video game nerd/"gamer".....and after watching "knocked up", i am glad i am not a fantasy baseball nerd either

and for that matter, i think guitar nerd is the absolute coolest type of nerd you can be....playing guitar actually appeals to chicks, for christs sake!!!

and the popularity of guitar hero and rock band just prove that we are envied by non-guitar players everywhere
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I'd just much rather play guitar. Sure I bust out the xbox every once in a while, but I probably play guitar 100x more on average. I feel more productive, and it's the best tension release I know of.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • haha I agree that's the coolest nerd to be. I consider myself a guiar nerd also, I've played pretty much every day for about 6 years now.

I would also consider myself a fantasy baseball nerd since I make several different draft scenarios every year. I get wayyyy too into it. But my team's in second.

I would also consider myself an avid xbox player, but not a nerd. I play maybe 5 hours a week. (probably more when nhl 09 comes out)

I feel bad for people who dont really have friends though, like some of the people I've playedon xbox live have gamerscores of 20,000 plus. It's crazy
    I am right by your side

shows:
    7/18/06 SF
    Bridge School night 2 2006
    12/9/06 Hawaii
    E.V. solo show in Santa Cruz
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    i can relate to gamers or fantasy baseball people though, i am a totally obsessive type....but now all my obsessive behavior revolves around music - playing guitar, listening to music, watching concert dvds, looking up bands on youtube and wikipedia, reading rock biographies, thinking of what songs my band should cover, listening to tapes of our practices...

oh, and typing about music on the pearl jam forums!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Man, my sister and her boyfriend play halo 3 right above my room...for HOURS on end....they went a few days STRAIGHT playing that damn game. Don't get me wrong, it's fun game for maybe an hour or two BUT not for DAYS ON END. They get SO into it and scream/stomp on the floor when I'm trying to sleep. I got the crafty idea of moving my guitar amp right next to her door when they had down time and were sleeping. I turned my amp up to 5 (drive channel) and set my strat right next to it. Feedback for a good feedback as they screamed for my to stop. Did they learn their lesson??

no :(

So I don't know how to stop it without having band practice while they play...guitar players aren't nerds...we're cool. We make music and can play it outside, with no power, wherever...you can only play an Xbox with power..and it's limited. Guitar player > Xbox players.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Man, my sister and her boyfriend play halo 3 right above my room...for HOURS on end....they went a few days STRAIGHT playing that damn game.

unintentionally hilarious...
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    So I don't know how to stop it without having band practice while they play.

Steal the power supply when they're not around. That will teach them.

Happy b-day, by the way.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Steal the power supply when they're not around. That will teach them.

Happy b-day, by the way.
    YAY! thank you!

I'll try to nab the power supply...but then they'll complain and I won't hear the end of it
  • exhausted wrote:
    NORMAL couple would be doing something else...BUT THEY DON'T EVEN DO THAT....AWW MAN, now I'm thinking about it! GROSS
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    StuffnJunk wrote:

and for that matter, i think guitar nerd is the absolute coolest type of nerd you can be....playing guitar actually appeals to chicks, for christs sake!!!

I think the main problem with guitar nerds is that they actually think they are "cool nerds" whereas the others accept the fact that maybe they really aren't:)

That being said, i'd much rather play music than X-Box. Seems like more of an art form than a hobby though.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Guitar nerds ARE cool. Just because I spend more time researching guitars, pedals, amps and guitarists than actually playing guitar makes me awesome. :D
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    exhausted wrote:

bahahaha :D

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    cool, you feel above someone because you have different interests

right on...
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
    Guitar nerds ARE cool. Just because I spend more time researching guitars, pedals, amps and guitarists than actually playing guitar makes me awesome. :D

Well....yeah...i'm cool too. haha
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    hodge wrote:
    cool, you feel above someone because you have different interests

right on...
    whatever gets you through the night, baby...

yes, i'm proud that i grew out of my childhood hobby, especially when i see some adults haven't, and how involved playing simple video games has become....i'm proud that my new hobby is something that involves doing something physical and interacting with people and possibly even entertaining people and creating art

p.s. - i go back to work next week, so this will be the last of these ridiculous threads from me for awhile.......maybe
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    whatever gets you through the night, baby...

yes, i'm proud that i grew out of my childhood hobby, especially when i see some adults haven't, and how involved playing simple video games has become....i'm proud that my new hobby is something that involves doing something physical and interacting with people and possibly even entertaining people and creating art

p.s. - i go back to work next week, so this will be the last of these ridiculous threads from me for awhile.......maybe

Nah, keep 'em coming JD! I don't think it's a ridiculous thread
  • I spent the evening making a cheaparse pedalboard out of a briefcase. Had to hacksaw through the metal hinges so I could open the thing out wide. (The screws wouldn't budge.) The beautiful thing about it is that it looks just like a briefcase with some fookin' velcro and a surge protector thrown in. Oh, and a couple of pedals. But it gave me pleasure that going to the store and buying a proper board would never have done. Now that's a cool kind of nerd-dom. :D
    i just ordered another amp kit.......gah....

but i also learned the proper way to play the buckley version of hallelujah so i play sometimes too.
  • Some Guitar nerds are alright, but some are downright annoying. I am talking about the ones that will talk your ear off about the saddle on Jeff Beck's customized Strat, or why Billy Gibbons Pearly Gates is one of the most sought after Les Pauls in the world. Then they will talk about their own gear and how they boil their guitar strings before using them or how they dipped the tubes from their amp in honey(or some shit like that) then they get ready to play, and it's the most god awful thing you've ever heard and then they're like, "When I get my saddle like Jeff Beck's, I'll be bitchin'!"
    You are a beast, greg. B)

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    Anyone who plays guitar is going to come out a better person than someone who plays video games. At least music is art, it challenges and expands your mind, and it's a skill that can be used. Video games just make you have sore thumbs and rot your brain.
    Novawind wrote:
    You are a beast, greg. B)

If you met my two year old you'd understand why I self-medicate. He's been tantruming for a solid hour now over his bath. But at least I'm medicating with projects instead of drink or something.
  • kitfoo wrote:
    Anyone who plays guitar is going to come out a better person than someone who plays video games. At least music is art, it challenges and expands your mind, and it's a skill that can be used. Video games just make you have sore thumbs and rot your brain.
    WRONG...video games are the greatest things ever. Haven't you heard? If you can beat "War Pigs" on expert with GuitarHero, you're going to be amazing at the real thing...DUH
    Some Guitar nerds are alright, but some are downright annoying. I am talking about the ones that will talk your ear off about the saddle on Jeff Beck's customized Strat, or why Billy Gibbons Pearly Gates is one of the most sought after Les Pauls in the world. Then they will talk about their own gear and how they boil their guitar strings before using them or how they dipped the tubes from their amp in honey(or some shit like that) then they get ready to play, and it's the most god awful thing you've ever heard and then they're like, "When I get my saddle like Jeff Beck's, I'll be bitchin'!"

Yeah, this. lol!

Do people actually dip their tubes in honey? How bout the boiling strings thing. Weird

Also, work at a guitar store for any period of time long enough to meet the return customers and you'll meet plenty of these clowns. They're always much better at yapping than tapping if you know what i mean.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I spent the evening making a cheaparse pedalboard out of a briefcase. Had to hacksaw through the metal hinges so I could open the thing out wide. (The screws wouldn't budge.) The beautiful thing about it is that it looks just like a briefcase with some fookin' velcro and a surge protector thrown in. Oh, and a couple of pedals. But it gave me pleasure that going to the store and buying a proper board would never have done. Now that's a cool kind of nerd-dom. :D

That provoked an image of John Cleese stalking onto a stage, with bowler hat, umbrella and briefcase, slappig his briefcase down, and snapping it open to display a pedal board.............

"Right, where do I plug this bloody thing in ?"

Silly walk entrance optional
    Music is not a competetion.
  • That provoked an image of John Cleese stalking onto a stage, with bowler hat, umbrella and briefcase, slappig his briefcase down, and snapping it open to display a pedal board.............

"Right, where do I plug this bloody thing in ?"

Silly walk entrance optional

It may well be like that, at my gig on Sunday. The one thing I'm worried about is forgetting the combination of the locks. :D
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    I'm a dork regardless, so the guitar helps my cause.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
    Yeah, this. lol!

Do people actually dip their tubes in honey? How bout the boiling strings thing. Weird

i've heard of people doing it with bass strings. but to clean them. not that it works really.
    exhausted wrote:
    If you met my two year old you'd understand why I self-medicate. He's been tantruming for a solid hour now over his bath. But at least I'm medicating with projects instead of drink or something.

Good call. Exactly why I'm in no hurry to have kids.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    Good call. Exactly why I'm in no hurry to have kids.

don't get me wrong. he's an awesome kid but sooooo sensitive that when he goes off the rails he goes big. it's exhausting (ha!) luckily it's not a regular occurence to have a wig to that extent.

but yeah, kids put a big damper on the whole guitar/hobby/sleep thing.